ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois series . . . concern

AuroraHawk

HR Heisman
Dec 18, 2004
I read @KyleHuesmann 's Illinois series preview and, to be blunt, two things jump off the page to me:

(1) Illini starting pitching, particularly the Friday and Saturday starters, walk very few batters and force opponents to hit their way onto the base path. One of Iowa's offensive strengths is a keen eye at the plate and getting runners on base via walks. Many rallies result from multiple walks as opposed to hit after hit after hit. I think that this will pose a particular challenge to Iowa's offense. For example . . . with exception of Sunday's game, Iowa had a plethora of runners on base and many of those came via walks. The key (blow the game open) hit remained elusive and both Friday and Saturday's games were close affairs. Something to keep an eye on.

(2) When you add (1) to the fact that the Illini have a solid hitting lineup, Iowa's starting pitching must bring their "A" games from their first to their last pitch. Even though Maryland's pitching held the Illini to relatively few runs over the three game set, I envision that the Illini lineup is going to keep pressure on Iowa's pitching staff all weekend.

Of the three remaining series, I'm most concerned about this one as far as Iowa taking the series. One or two poor starting pitching performance, some defensive lapses and offensive struggles could prove to be awfully problematic.

Looking forward to being in the stands for the weekend games.

I read @KyleHuesmann 's Illinois series preview and, to be blunt, two things jump off the page to me:

(1) Illini starting pitching, particularly the Friday and Saturday starters, walk very few batters and force opponents to hit their way onto the base path. One of Iowa's offensive strengths is a keen eye at the plate and getting runners on base via walks. Many rallies result from multiple walks as opposed to hit after hit after hit. I think that this will pose a particular challenge to Iowa's offense. For example . . . with exception of Sunday's game, Iowa had a plethora of runners on base and many of those came via walks. The key (blow the game open) hit remained elusive and both Friday and Saturday's games were close affairs. Something to keep an eye on.

(2) When you add (1) to the fact that the Illini have a solid hitting lineup, Iowa's starting pitching must bring their "A" games from their first to their last pitch. Even though Maryland's pitching held the Illini to relatively few runs over the three game set, I envision that the Illini lineup is going to keep pressure on Iowa's pitching staff all weekend.

Of the three remaining series, I'm most concerned about this one as far as Iowa taking the series. One or two poor starting pitching performance, some defensive lapses and offensive struggles could prove to be awfully problematic.

I think the big key is getting into the bullpen as early as possible.

Also the first two Penn State pitchers were good at limiting walks and Iowa was able to manufacture some runs.

Reactions: BigOHawk
I agree with your concerns @AuroraHawk. The last weekend, Iowa didn’t get that big hit with two outs or multiple RISP but once I think? That was a big problem early on during the 4-8 start.

I will offer a ray of hope. The Illinois starter who sports a .98 WHIP and has 51K to 10BB. His last start vs Maryland May have been the best of his career. He had 12Ks to no walks. He went 7.2IP. So he really improved his numbers. Granted, he didn’t walk a ton of guys in other games, but it fluctuate between 1-3.

Lavender the Saturday starter has a 1.31 WHIP, which means he will allow some guys on base. It looks like he’s more hittable as opposed to allowing walks.

It’s imperative Iowa’s pitchers get quality starts. Wallace can’t be out there in the 1st inning racking up 30-35 pitches like he has recently in a few starts. On Friday against PSU, he was all over the place in the 1st inning.

Saturday and Sunday in a nutshell.

Reactions: KyleHuesmann
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT