ADVERTISEMENT

*****Illinois vs Iowa Game Thread*****

Sorry, but not. Last week Jess did the Hawks game and went on, and on , and on about Iowa. It was over the top. He's not much better then Bardo. Jackson is the worst when he covers OSU. When their playing well in a game, he cant hide his joy.
Yeah all 3 are bad when doing their own school. Bardo is probably the least homer of the 3.

I haven't had too many issues with Fran's substitution patterns this year with the exception of his 2 foul rule but today had some head scratchers. In the first half he felt compelled to insert Dix and Bowen together pulling Perk and Ulis at the same time. In the second half he leaves Dix on the bench and inserts Patrick for some extended minutes.

Fran has been good about playing the hot hand but neither Cmac nor Pmac were having very good games while playing a combined 43 minutes going 1-8 for a grand total of 3 points, 1 rebound and 3 assists. I think Connor and Pmac also played a lot as the primary defenders against Mayer in the first half when he scored pretty much at will.

I was hoping that Dix would continue to see his minutes at an increased level but that probably won't be the case going forward.
Dix should definitely be getting more minutes.

Don't know what you do with Patrick, he's basically just a tall spot up shooter.

He should be the back up 4 but he doesn't rebound or defend.

The best option would probably be using Sandfort as the back up 4 and then get Dix more minutes atbthe 2/3.

OSU had not played like that before Iowa and has not played like that since.
They have underperformed tremendously. Physically they had several superior match ups, and for once they played well together against the Hawks.

Dix should definitely be getting more minutes.

Don't know what you do with Patrick, he's basically just a tall spot up shooter.

He should be the back up 4 but he doesn't rebound or defend.

The best option would probably be using Sandfort as the back up 4 and then get Dix more minutes atbthe 2/3.
Yeah. It seemed like it would have been natural when Cmac left to slide Sandfort over to the 3 and bring Dix in to play alongside Perkins at a guard spot. Instead we fell back into subbing Patrick in for Cmac at every turn. It turned out OK but still believe it makes more sense to bring in Dix for those minutes.

We won the game against a very tough team, yet we need to continue to analyze what Fran did wrong? Iowa's lack of depth at 4/5 is a serious problem that Fran has been coaching around all season. Not getting a portal big hurts,. Not sure how much NIL played a role. I am most surprised by how poorly Mulvey was playing until recently, when it has at least looked like he isn't lost. I don't have much hope that JoshO will ever give us more than a few spot minutes against opponents with monster bigs.

We need CMac on the court, whether he is scoring or not. There is more to winning games than looking at post-game stats. Patrick is more experienced than Dix, so Fran went that direction. I agree that Dix has been playing better, but I think it could help if we get Patrick back for at least limited minutes to make a serious run post season. I want Dix to keep getting regular minutes, because he has been very solid in all phases of the game. Some of the same voices were calling to bench TonyP. Now, maybe we see why Fran kept playing him and some of us were also saying we will need him.

Iowa is overachieving, relative to what most analysts predict, but Fran doesn't seem to get credit for any of that from you guys??? Is Fran dressing ok, or does he need to rethink his wardrobe, maybe even his hair style, which is kind of old...

We won the game against a very tough team, yet we need to continue to analyze what Fran did wrong? Iowa's lack of depth at 4/5 is a serious problem that Fran has been coaching around all season. Not getting a portal big hurts,. Not sure how much NIL played a role. I am most surprised by how poorly Mulvey was playing until recently, when it has at least looked like he isn't lost. I don't have much hope that JoshO will ever give us more than a few spot minutes against opponents with monster bigs.

We need CMac on the court, whether he is scoring or not. There is more to winning games than looking at post-game stats. Patrick is more experienced than Dix, so Fran went that direction. I agree that Dix has been playing better, but I think it could help if we get Patrick back for at least limited minutes to make a serious run post season. I want Dix to keep getting regular minutes, because he has been very solid in all phases of the game. Some of the same voices were calling to bench TonyP. Now, maybe we see why Fran kept playing him and some of us were also saying we will need him.

Iowa is overachieving, relative to what most analysts predict, but Fran doesn't seem to get credit for any of that from you guys??? Is Fran dressing ok, or does he need to rethink his wardrobe, maybe even his hair style, which is kind of old...
I think he has a beautiful head of hair. I'm a bit jealous to be honest.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk

Agree with most of your comments but I cringe when PMac is in the game dribbling to nowhere.

Agree with most of your comments but I cringe when PMac is in the game dribbling to nowhere.
A few parts Patrick's game make me cringe, the driving, his defense of drives, and his observing others rebounding, especially bother me, but with our limited depth, some minutes from him, playing at his highest level, could really help the Hawks in some games down the stretch.

Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT