ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois

moondog24

HR MVP
Oct 31, 2009
Just watched the Illini lose to Arizona 90-69 at the McKale Center. 1 point game at the half and close at the 10 minute mark in the 2nd before the Cats broke it open with a 15-0 run. Starters for Illinois looked good but they don’t have much depth. They appear to have more athleticism than last season.

I don't believe their hype. Iowa shredded them twice last year and they're the same team plus Cockburn.

They'll be a little better but not a tournament qualifier.

You could see Giorgi struggling at the 4 from a mile away.

62 turnovers through 3 games. Bad sign when you start 3 guards who can handle the ball.

B1G is down this year. Which I don't mind because I think the Hawks have a real shot at top 6 in the conference this year. MSU, Ohio St and Maryland will be tough. Purdue, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan and Indiana all have some pretty good holes. I think Iowa can compete with any of this mid group. Once Potter is eligible for Wisconsin they could take a jump up with the top 3.

When are the cheaters from Tucson getting their NOA? Very soon, I hope. I mean the NCAA has the frickin tape. What else do you need??

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Illini with 22 turnovers resulting in 20 points — that was the difference. Arizona’s 3 5* freshman almost out scored Illinois by themselves with 60 combined points. Those dudes are are good. Manion just outstanding.

Amazing how you can be caught on tape by the FBI offering tens of thousands of dollars to recruits and not only still have a job but be killing it in recruiting. Good work if you can get it.

Last edited:
Illini with 22 turnovers resulting in 20 points — that was the difference. Arizona’s 3 5* freshman almost out scored Illinois by themselves with 60 combined points. Those dudes are are good. Manion just outstanding.

Amazing how you can be caught on tape by the FBI offering tens of thousands of dollars to recruits and not only still have a job but be killing it in recruiting. Good work if you can get it.

Exactly. Kids and parents don't care. It's why I laugh when people continue to bring up Lickliter as an excuse for Iowa hoops. You can have multiple sexual abuse cases / other things hidden (MSU), be on tape discussing payments to a player (Self and Miller) and nothing happens.

Exactly. Kids and parents don't care. It's why I laugh when people continue to bring up Lickliter as an excuse for Iowa hoops. You can have multiple sexual abuse cases / other things hidden (MSU), be on tape discussing payments to a player (Self and Miller) and nothing happens.

And it's not just "on tape" it was taped BY THE FREAKING FBI during the course of a criminal investigation. Can it get more iron clad than that?

The NCAA is a joke.

To be fair to Illinois, you don’t see many teams taking the trip they just did. I think they looked greatly improved but lack a bit of depth. Someone probably emerges off the bench by mid season making them better. Their guards are very good though, and Cockburn is a beast.

To be fair to Illinois, you don’t see many teams taking the trip they just did. I think they looked greatly improved but lack a bit of depth. Someone probably emerges off the bench by mid season making them better. Their guards are very good though, and Cockburn is a beast.

They were missing Tevian Jones (suspension), a plus athlete who would have given them much needed depth at the 3.

21 points of depth? lol No. but it may have been a bit more respectable had he been able to go. They actually played them straight up even for about 30 of the 40 minutes and then just collapsed like a cheap card table during the last 10 where the got out scored 37-17.

Each of Arizona’s fab 3 freshman are twice as good as anyone on Illinois team. Ayo Dosunmu got absolutely owned, abused and exposed by Mannion. I almost felt bad for the kid. Haha

I can’t believe I’m saying this in the context of an Illinois loss but it’s impossible to win against cheaters. Something has to be done in the interest of the sport.

and I’m not defending Fran’s missing on Foster. I think that’s exactly the kind of recruit we need to land. and I’m certainly not accusing ISU of cheating. But I am saying that we need to look at Fran’s overall recruiting in the context of a college basketball landscape that is scummy AF. We can’t reasonably expect him to be squeaky clean and ever rise to the level of an Arizona. Wisconsin light would be just fine with me.

Last edited:
A thread about how Illinois and Ayo got owned. Ok. Illinois lost to a very good team with multiple NBA players on their home court after being in the game until 53-52. Turned the ball over too much after that. Illinois has a ways to go to be a good team but there is talent to work with.

But, holy mackerel, Illinois isn’t getting blown out at home by freaking DePaul. Iowa is getting owned by Jalen Coleman-Lands. Ouch.

We both might have a ways to go.

A thread about how Illinois and Ayo got owned. Ok. Illinois lost to a very good team with multiple NBA players on their home court after being in the game until 53-52. Turned the ball over too much after that. Illinois has a ways to go to be a good team but there is talent to work with.

But, holy mackerel, Illinois isn’t getting blown out at home by freaking DePaul. Iowa is getting owned by Jalen Coleman-Lands. Ouch.

VERY True Combes. Both teams have a ways to go....but I actually like what the Illini have this year.

Agree

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT