ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois

Auger

HR All-American
Sep 14, 2007
Illinois could be a real threat as a conference contender right now. Most were surprised to see Dosunmu announce he was pulling out of the NBA draft and returning to school. Today Cockburn announced he was also coming back. They now have a very good nucleus of returning star power to go along with a top 20 incoming recruiting class.

So far a lot of fringe players are coming back you gotta hope that is a good sign for Garza tomorrow. If MSU gets their guys back this coming season could be an absolute battle for the B1G Championship.

On paper, their group of guards is crazy good. IRL, no one knows how 50% of the crew will perform at this level.

Experience is key in this league when the lights are bright and hot. I like Iowa to finally get it done this year.

With Garza now coming back the B1G could have 4 top 10 teams this coming season. Iowa, MSU, Illinois and Wisconsin will likely battle it out all season for the B1G Championship. Rutgers, Michigan, Ohio St and Indiana will have top 25 potential. The B1G is going to be loaded.

The experience factor we’ll have may become our biggest asset. On any given night any of the starters could go for twenty. I don’t imagine for a moment that Luka will let guys get away with lack luster effort during the preseason let alone during games. Minutes will be precious and there will be battles that will force everyone to constantly play hard on the defensive side of the ball. Our intensity should be difficult to match.

Being able to deal with adversity and reacting to a bad loss shouldn’t impact our confidence level, and no one will be looking to be the team we’d play next.

Reactions: perryhawk
Iowa's preseason pub is about that starting 5 and Toussaint. What's really scary is I don't think many are really taking in account Patrick. If he's healthy and ready to go...

Reactions: perryhawk
Illini fan here. So happy that Garza is coming back! While I hate your guys' team (and I'm sure the feeling is mutual lol) I love his game / respect the hell out of him and want the Big Ten to be as loaded as possible.

May the best team win

Oh and on a side note, its criminal we didn't get a 3rd game between us. It would have been epic for sure!
Stay safe out there folks

Illinois could be a real threat as a conference contender right now. Most were surprised to see Dosunmu announce he was pulling out of the NBA draft and returning to school. Today Cockburn announced he was also coming back. They now have a very good nucleus of returning star power to go along with a top 20 incoming recruiting class.

So far a lot of fringe players are coming back you gotta hope that is a good sign for Garza tomorrow. If MSU gets their guys back this coming season could be an absolute battle for the B1G Championship.
Illinois will be extremely tough in a great conference, hope the HAWKS can come out on top. Luka coming back gives us a chance to be great . Go Hawks!

Illini fan here. So happy that Garza is coming back! While I hate your guys' team (and I'm sure the feeling is mutual lol) I love his game / respect the hell out of him and want the Big Ten to be as loaded as possible.

May the best team win

Oh and on a side note, its criminal we didn't get a 3rd game between us. It would have been epic for sure!

Welcome back. I know the last decade was brutal for Illinois sports. Here's to a healthy rivalry! Respect.

Iowa's preseason pub is about that starting 5 and Toussaint. What's really scary is I don't think many are really taking in account Patrick. If he's healthy and ready to go...
Wonder where he stands with covid19? Haven't heard any mention about it.

May the best team win

Good post. I have hated Illannoy for decades, going back to Lou Doo, but I'm glad your guys are back. Should be some great BB, if they get to play. Stay safe!

a bit shocked that ayo and cockburn returned.
cannot lie...I was counting on them leaving.
illini have ff talent,along with MSU,WISC, and Iowa.
Dammit, Big Ten has.got to win the.whole thing this season...way overdue.

Cockburn scares me on and off the court....kid is a beast.

I actually find it amusing that you guys out northwestern Northwestern as a country club sport school.

Actually Ohio St has overtaken Illinois as the best tennis program in the conference for a while now. I've been expecting them to try the same in golf, they have a great on campus course and more history than Illinois (some dude named Jack). But it's not an easy thing to do as a northern school.

Actually Ohio St has overtaken Illinois as the best tennis program in the conference for a while now. I've been expecting them to try the same in golf, they have a great on campus course and more history than Illinois (some dude named Jack). But it's not an easy thing to do as a northern school.

neat

People talk about McCaffery losing it, but Illinois is up by 60 and Underwood is screaming at the players on the sideline.

People talk about McCaffery losing it, but Illinois is up by 60 and Underwood is screaming at the players on the sideline.

1) that's called coaching. These games are guaranteed wins, essentially. It's a glorified practice.
2) the speakers that are pumping in the crowd noise supposedly make it way louder on the court since they're directly above the court rather than in the stands.

This Freshman Miller for Illinois is really freaking good. Holy cow. 2 time Illinois HS player of the year. He's going to be trouble for the next few years. Damn it!!!

Reactions: Sexican
Illinois defense does not impress me. Preston had 31 against them today. Their great guards also had 16 TOs. smh.

I think both Baylor and Duke will roll them.

Overrated.

Shocker! You’re always such a fan!

Be honest. Right now you guys aren’t taking care of the ball at all. You have 14-16 turnovers against Baylor or Duke and you are going to get beat down by 20+.

Miller and Curbelo look good and Ayo is Ayo (a legit AA candidate) but I don’t think it’s a top ten team. I think if we played tomorrow, Iowa would win by double digits.

Illinois defense does not impress me. Preston had 31 against them today. Their great guards also had 16 TOs. smh.

I think both Baylor and Duke will roll them.

Overrated.
3 games in 3 days, early in the season, come on Raptor, you think Iowa wouldn't play tired?
Yes, Illinois has 3 upcoming games against Baylor, Gonzaga, and Duke. Whether they win all 3 is debatable, but they are one of the top 10 teams in the country and it's not even worth arguing with you about it. They're 3 and 0 and rated in the top ten.
let's enjoy watching Iowa play Southern shortly....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT