ADVERTISEMENT

I'm back!!

Offense in the Top 50 (being optimistic here)
10-2
Losses to OSU/UM
Win the west
Avenge 2 straight losses to UM by winning BTT.
Just miss playoff
Beat Oregon in Rose Bowl
BTT outright above everything else. (minus national championship)

Don't care if our offense is last place. (be really surprised if the offense is anywhere close to top 50 in yards per play or total offense)

Reactions: SSG T
BTT outright above everything else. (minus national championship)

Don't care if our offense is last place. (be really surprised if the offense is anywhere close to top 50 in yards per play or total offense)

Yeah, I don't expect the offense to ever be "good", just hope they are "good enough". Which is a really frustrating thing to say. Good gives them a bit of cushion when good enough doesn't quite happen.

We’re going to start 4-0. Rutgers is not a good team. They’re the third best t

I think we beat Michigan, then have the letdown the next week at Illinois. IF Michigan does beat us, then we’re winning in Champaign.

5-1

We’ll lose at OSU, then beat Northwestern at home.

6-2

We win in WL, Purdue is going to have a letdown year and they will have all our attention. Then we beat Wisconsin at home.

8-2

I think Minnesota gets us. I hate it, but it just feels like on of “those” games where goofy shit just doesn’t go our way. Like a 27-14 kind of game.

Then we beat a 1-dimensional Nebraska team. Nebraska is going to start hot with an easy schedule, then Fragile Frost shows himself when things get tough, the team reflects it, and we roll their asses.

9-3. Three-way tie for first in the West and I don’t know how that madness will sort out.

If Iowa can average around 3.5-4.0 yards per carry, I think the offense will control clock and score enough to allow the Hawks elite defense to win 8 to 10 games.
This is an absolutely pathetic YPC, and the fact that this is improvement shows just how pitiful the offense was.

If we average 4.5+ (and we should, right?), then Petras is going to be asked to do very little. Which reminds me!!! Time for the Bill Connelly tweet!! My favorite tweet and thread of replies ever.

Probably Purdue again. Brohm has KF's number. I think we take out Bucky in Kinnick.
I don't know about KF but I have to believe that, like me, Hawkeye players have that game circled given last year's ass whipping and the Iowa WR who switched sides.

Don't know why exactly, but the game at MPLS worries me more.

We’re going to start 4-0. Rutgers is not a good team. They’re the third best t

I think we beat Michigan, then have the letdown the next week at Illinois. IF Michigan does beat us, then we’re winning in Champaign.

5-1

We’ll lose at OSU, then beat Northwestern at home.

6-2

We win in WL, Purdue is going to have a letdown year and they will have all our attention. Then we beat Wisconsin at home.

8-2

I think Minnesota gets us. I hate it, but it just feels like on of “those” games where goofy shit just doesn’t go our way. Like a 27-14 kind of game.

Then we beat a 1-dimensional Nebraska team. Nebraska is going to start hot with an easy schedule, then Fragile Frost shows himself when things get tough, the team reflects it, and we roll their asses.

9-3. Three-way tie for first in the West and I don’t know how that madness will sort out.
This seems like a very plausible scenario.

I can handle losing to the Goofs if we take down Iowa State, Wisconsin and Nebraska. We'd still retain our traveling trophies -- just swapping a pig for a bull. :)

This is an absolutely pathetic YPC, and the fact that this is improvement shows just how pitiful the offense was.

If we average 4.5+ (and we should, right?), then Petras is going to be asked to do very little. Which reminds me!!! Time for the Bill Connelly tweet!! My favorite tweet and thread of replies ever.

Yeah that Connelly tweet is brutal and embarrassing. What a testament to the D though.

Hey, I just want to let you know that us Nole fans will always cheer for the Iowa Bridesmaids!
Everyone and I mean EVERYONE knows that the bridesmaids are more fun to party with than the bride.

Usually hotter, too.

file_2e9d35da57_original.jpg

That's just stupid, and why I have a love/hate with Iowa's football team. I love them and want them to win. I hate their offense and have for a big chunk of the last 20 years.

I get it, limit TOs and use the clock. But, you can do that while having a good offense. It doesn't have to be embarrassing.

That's just stupid, and why I have a love/hate with Iowa's football team. I love them and want them to win. I hate their offense and have for a big chunk of the last 20 years.

I get it, limit TOs and use the clock. But, you can do that while having a good offense. It doesn't have to be embarrassing.

S***

• Angry
Reactions: Greenway4Prez

I’m sure the “good fan” crowd would wax poetic and come up with all sorts of reasons why it isn’t so, but my simple stance is this:

We recruit, coach, develop, scheme and adjust well enough that we routinely have defenses in the top 10-15% of all college football. Why can’t we recruit, coach, develop, scheme and adjust our way to a top 70 offense?

Offenses across college football have gotten progressively better over time, so we are sucking harder on offense AND are ELEVATING our level of play on defense relative to the CFB universe. We’re doing the more difficult thing better, and the easier thing worse.

And I’m not talking even CLOSE to having a top 10-15% offense. A top 60% offense would BE AN OUTLIER. It is absolutely befuddling, and incredibly frustrating. It doesn’t have to be this way.

Last edited:
I’m sure the “good fan” crowd would wax poetic and come up with all sorts of reasons why it isn’t so, but my simple stance is this:

We recruit, coach, develop, scheme and adjust well enough that we routinely have defenses in the top 10-15% of all college football. Why can’t we recruit, coach, develop, scheme and adjust our way to a top 70 offense?

Offenses across college football have gotten progressively better over time, so we are sucking harder on offense AND are ELEVATING our level of play on defense relative to the CFB universe. We’re doing the more difficult thing better, and the easier thing worse.

And I’m not talking even CLOSE to having a top 10-15% offense. A top 60% offense would BE AN OUTLIER. It is absolutely befuddling, and incredibly frustrating. It doesn’t have to be this way.
preach brother!

if we even had a top 50-60 offense I believe we'd be challenging for the big ten title consistently. we don't develop WR's and we certainly don't build a creative offensive to go against the norm.

it's run left, run right and toss to TE on third and short.

preach brother!

if we even had a top 50-60 offense I believe we'd be challenging for the big ten title consistently. we don't develop WR's and we certainly don't build a creative offensive to go against the norm.

it's run left, run right and toss to TE on third and short.
We take players that nobody wants and turn them into NFL starters at every effing position except QB and WR. Just by sheer statistical odds, we should’ve stumbled onto ONE PLAYER in the last 23 years that started a single game at either of those positions in the league. I suppose Beathard does qualify due to injuries ahead of him. Awesome, great job Iowa!

Should I list the schools represented by the top 100 receivers in the NFL? Cuz it includes a LOT of schools who are taking guys that would never even register on our radar. Go back 23 years, and it’s depressing as hell.

I don’t think it’s just that we’re ineffective at offense. It’s that I don’t think KF really cares that much. He is completely scared of risk, and so many defensive coaches have that mindset and handcuff the offense.

If clock control, field position, and avoiding turnovers are the goals, then let’s run the option. Eff it.

I’m rustled.

Yep...the goal of the offense is to minimize mistakes.

Avoiding a big, early deficit will be paramount to a good season.

Can't remember too many times in the last decade where Iowa recovered from a big hole.
Depending on your definition of a big hole, Iowa overcame three double-digit deficits last year - 14 against Penn State, 10 against Illinois, and 15 against Nebraska.

• Wow
Reactions: torbee
Depending on your definition of a big hole, Iowa overcame three double-digit deficits last year - 14 against Penn State, 10 against Illinois, and 15 against Nebraska.

And an enormous part of pulling those out was Caleb Shudak, who nobody is talking about replacing

• Love
Reactions: TheonGreyJoy

I think it's a recruiting issue.

Like it or not, KF's approach is going to be ball control, clock control, limited risk offense. How many big time QBs and WRs want to play that style? So we end up with solid-but-not-spectacular pro-style QBs, good tight ends and average wide receivers. Rinse and repeat, ad infinitum :)

And I am mostly OK with that. You know what teams always have better offenses than Iowa? Maryland, Indiana, Nebraska . . . I will take our results, even if at the expense of eye-bleeding offense, than all the losing those jabronis do.

• Love
Reactions: TheonGreyJoy
I think it's a recruiting issue.

Like it or not, KF's approach is going to be ball control, clock control, limited risk offense. How many big time QBs and WRs want to play that style? So we end up with solid-but-not-spectacular pro-style QBs, good tight ends and average wide receivers. Rinse and repeat, ad infinitum :)

And I am mostly OK with that. You know what teams always have better offenses than Iowa? Maryland, Indiana, Nebraska . . . I will take our results, even if at the expense of eye-bleeding offense, than all the losing those jabronis do.

I think part of it is a recruiting issue as well, but more towards location. There just aren't tons of game breaking QBs/WRs in the Upper Midwest. Combine the style of play, and that limits who they can pull out of the areas that have the freat skill positions.

However, being risk averse is the bigger issue. And no, comparing the results, I don't think it's OK that the schools you mention have had better offenses than Iowa. Because, as I said, they don't need a top 20 offense. It is shocking, both good and bad, how successful they were last year with how bad the offense was. Give them a top 50 O last year, we're probably talking CFP for them.

ADVERTISEMENT