ADVERTISEMENT

I'm so proud of myself....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
So, we have this interior gate installed on the second-floor landing here at Tradition Manor. The gate is designed to keep children, pets and drunks from falling down the spiral staircase from that second-floor landing.

Anyway, over the years it got saggy, and you had to lift up on the gate in order to strike the latch and secure the gate.

I was thinking that corner braces might fix this problem and I was right! I found some decorative book shelf brackets at the big box store that were the right size.

Here's the part that I'm so proud about: I lifted the gate one-half inch ABOVE the latch strike point, installed the corner braces, and PERFECTION!

The gate is now perfectly square like it was when new and hits the latch just right!

Here's a pic:

J1Pbxf6.jpg

Git 'er DONE!

(Home Improvement grunting noises)

Pretty staircase.

I don't know if spiral staircases are "in" anymore, but I'm way past worrying what the masses think.

Fix ain't bad either. Exposed hardware kinda works well in the space.

Reactions: The Tradition
So, we have this interior gate installed on the second-floor landing here at Tradition Manor. The gate is designed to keep children, pets and drunks from falling down the spiral staircase from that second-floor landing.

Anyway, over the years it got saggy, and you had to lift up on the gate in order to strike the latch and secure the gate.

I was thinking that corner braces might fix this problem and I was right! I found some decorative book shelf brackets at the big box store that were the right size.

Here's the part that I'm so proud about: I lifted the gate one-half inch ABOVE the latch strike point, installed the corner braces, and PERFECTION!

The gate is now perfectly square like it was when new and hits the latch just right!

Here's a pic:

J1Pbxf6.jpg

Git 'er DONE!

(Home Improvement grunting noises)
I’ll never have a second floor in florida.
Controlling the moisture and temp is near impossible and pricey.

Then you had a shitty AC system.
Ok. You ever owned a two story in fla?
I had a three story(two plus basement) in iowa with no problems. Had to adjust the dampener and vents every season change but regulating temp and moisture was easy.

Ok. You ever owned a two story in fla?
I had a three story(two plus basement) in iowa with no problems. Had to adjust the dampener and vents every season change but regulating temp and moisture was easy.
What difference does it make? Heat is heat anywhere. If you couldn't cool your upstairs with a separate AC it's because it is either a poor system or poor construction.

You're pretty close.

Originally built in 1989.

We've done major renovations over the years, but I'm never going to touch that staircase.

Like a fine wine, Tradition Manor has only improved with time.
If you say so. That style will probably come back around in 25-30 years.

What difference does it make? Heat is heat anywhere. If you couldn't cool your upstairs with a separate AC it's because it is either a poor system or poor construction.
Proper climate engineering is a bitch in two story homes in sfla.
Heat going up the staircases, from roof and exterior walls/windows, etc.
Temp differential between rooms and floors will be 10 degrees at times.

Lol - 95 degrees and 60% humidity is the same whether you're in Florida or anywhere else.

It's not if you have a properly designed system and quality construction. That's why you have two systems in a house.

Okay, okay... I have to give credit where credit is due. I wasn't smart enough to think about squaring it a little bit too high on my own.

I got the idea on how to fix the saggy gate from the "This Old House" crew....

Jump to the 2:50 mark.

It’s a 2 story house, not a 1000 foot differential.

Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT