ADVERTISEMENT

Immigrants from Texas will not be bused to Iowa City

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The office of Gov. Kim Reynolds confirmed on Thursday that no immigrants are being bused to Iowa from Texas.

There was false speculation Thursday that Iowa City might be among the cities where Texas Gov. Greg Abbott intends to send buses of immigrants from the southern border.

Abbott is busing immigrants from Texas to various cities as a “response to President Biden’s open border policies overwhelming border communities in Texas,” according to a news release from Abbott’s office.

Advertisement

Abbott has now bused immigrants to Chicago, New York and Washington, D.C. — all of which have Democratic mayors, the Associated Press reported.

The City of Iowa City also said it has no direct knowledge of plans. A document obtained by CNN had Iowa City listed as a potential location, and the network reached out to the Iowa City Catholic Worker House.

The Center for Immigration Studies has Iowa City listed as “sanctuary city,” but Iowa City is not technically a sanctuary city despite its hands-off policy on immigration enforcement.

The city reaffirmed in a 2017 resolution that the Iowa City Police Department’s role is in maintaining public safety rather than enforcing federal immigration law. The resolution also stated the city will comply with state and federal laws.

A state law passed in 2018 requires local governments to comply with federal immigration detainer requests. Local governments found in non-compliance face financial sanctions, including the withholding of funding.

The Catholic Worker House said in a statement it condemns Abbott’s “forcible relocation of immigrants across the country as an unchristian and racist political stunt.”

The group, which assists immigrants and refugees, has sponsored more than 100 refugee families from the southern border in the last 12 months. The organization is currently helping house two dozen families.

“Immigrants and refugees are welcome in Iowa City, and we will do everything we can to create a network of care with our local partners and ensure that any and all newly arrived immigrants receive the shelter, food, and protection they need,” Catholic Worker Maureen Vasile said.

La Regia (the best Mexican food in Iowa City, hands down) has closed for dinner hours thanks to a worker shortage. We need a couple buses to right that wrong.

And no, this isn't racist. It's logical that people from Mexico would likely be the quickest turnaround from a hiring perspective to get back up to speed on cooking delicious Mexican food.

Last edited:
La Regia has closed for dinner hours thanks to a worker shortage. We need a couple buses to right that wrong.

And no, this isn't racist. It's logical that people from Mexico would likely be the quickest turnaround from a hiring perspective to get back up to speed on cooking delicious Mexican food.
Seems like a win/WIN proposal.

La Regia (the best Mexican food in Iowa City, hands down) has closed for dinner hours thanks to a worker shortage. We need a couple buses to right that wrong.

20130719__3aa56b94-ca7c-43fb-8397-a3f87cb4d734p1.jpg

Reactions: Theyset.theStage

La Mexicana in Coralville is a nice alternative to La Regia. I've found myself going there a bit more than La Regia the past few months.

Reactions: Hawki97
Abbott is an absolute, deplorable person for his theatrics.

Using human beings for political gain is beyond despicable.

Sending immigrants to Iowa was never a consideration because of the Red State pact the Governor's have agreed to.

Hopefully something bad happens to him.

Abbott is an absolute, deplorable person for his theatrics.

Using human beings for political gain is beyond despicable.

Sending immigrants to Iowa was never a consideration because of the Red State pact the Governor's have agreed to.

Hopefully something bad happens to him.

I don't disagree that using humans as political pawns is gross. Like really gross.

But our immigration policies are a dumpster fire. These little podunk border towns can in no way handle the influx of immigrants - it's unfair to ask them to do so. And some cities far away from the border claim they can handle the new arrivals.

I get fixing immigration, telling Abbot to quit being stupid and funding stupid shit vs. sending money to these overrun towns, etc. are the long term fix. But take politics completely out of it (super hard I know), isn't sending people from situations where they can't be supported to places that say they can be supported a good thing? From a purely humanitarian perspective, I think this is a net positive.

Checks menu. No quesabirria.

curse-aukerman.gif
🤔 I don't have it often but I have had it there before. Cook was quite proud of it, I don't get to break out my spanish super often so take any chance I can get and chatted with him for awhile. Shared that he used to manage La Regia's kitchen and decided to venture off on his own.

🤔 I don't have it often but I have had it there before. Cook was quite proud of it, I don't get to break out my spanish super often so take any chance I can get and chatted with him for awhile. Shared that he used to manage La Regia's kitchen and decided to venture off on his own.

Maybe an outdated menu online. I’ll go in and ask. One of the most underrated and under-represented dishes out there IMHO.

Reactions: hawkmart

I read an article a couple of days ago that stated most migrants today are coming from South American and Caribbean countries, through Mexico.

Abbott is worried about Beto.

There no hiding that this is a political stunt.

Saw an estimate yesterday that this "stunt" has cost Texas taxpayers >$13M so far.

It can't be near as expensive as having them remain in overun communities.

Reactions: l.todd
I don't disagree that using humans as political pawns is gross. Like really gross.

But our immigration policies are a dumpster fire. These little podunk border towns can in no way handle the influx of immigrants - it's unfair to ask them to do so. And some cities far away from the border claim they can handle the new arrivals.

I get fixing immigration, telling Abbot to quit being stupid and funding stupid shit vs. sending money to these overrun towns, etc. are the long term fix. But take politics completely out of it (super hard I know), isn't sending people from situations where they can't be supported to places that say they can be supported a good thing? From a purely humanitarian perspective, I think this is a net positive.

Except of course he’s doing this solely to “own the libs”

Transporting these people to wherever should be done by the federal government.

Texas has bigger problems than this.

The Center for Immigration Studies is an anti-immigration think tank. You sure you want to take this as gospel?

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/center-immigration-studies

I read an article a couple of days ago that stated most migrants today are coming from South American and Caribbean countries, through Mexico.
Cuba and Venezuela are leading the way. It's gotten a little publicity in the Cuban American community, and hopefully it gets more attention. They hate it when their kin get turned back.

There is something to this. We 100 percent need comprehensive immigration reform. We need foreign workers. Low skill workers, and high end professional workers. But, it will not happen as long as the GOP goes for performance art like what Abbott is doing.

There is something to this. We 100 percent need comprehensive immigration reform. We need foreign workers. Low skill workers, and high end professional workers. But, it will not happen as long as the GOP goes for performance art like what Abbott is doing.
If only we had Federal Laws to handle these exact scenarios (here's a Hint to idiot Liberals: We do).

Are you just going into hiding again?

I was in the hardware store. Forgive me for the delay.

I can provide numerous articles from several sources that highlight the Biden Administration's disastrous immigration policy.

It won't change a thing for you though.

ADVERTISEMENT