ADVERTISEMENT

Impact on other sports?

sultanofsuede

HR Heisman
Nov 30, 2004
Almost all football discussion so far (for good reason), and only one thread on the basketball board. But how does the USC/UCLA addition impact our baseball program? What about women’s sports? And wrestling? And do we need to get mens swimming back on the roster? I can see positives all the way around. What say you (or what are these UI coaches saying?)?

I saw a bit on this last night. They're going to absolutely dominate baseball and probably men's volleyball. They have a lot of Olympic level athletes in track & field, gymnastics, and swimming. I don't believe either has a wrestling program.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, it's just the craziest thing that's happened to Iowa sports in my lifetime.

At over $100 million per year for each school, Iowa can add men's soccer and start men's and women's hockey. Add dance team as a varsity support for Title IX purposes (I don't think it is one yet at Iowa). I imagine Title IX will be on the chopping block soon enough in which case then it won't matter.

Can't wait for a weekend series in early April when USC comes to town and it's 40 degrees with 20+ mph winds.
It will be good preparation for them if they plan on making it to the big leagues, just like football

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT