ADVERTISEMENT

Importance of Spencer Qualifying for Olympics ?

zoe22

HR All-State
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2004
Is it the last Ace in the hole for Tom to play, to right the ship, and get some momentum back for Iowa Wrestling? Or does it even matter?

Disagree. Anytime you have an Olympic medalist it moves the needle. You go in a recruits home with a Olympic gold medalist and it helps!
It helps, but I don't think that much. I think Spencer wins the Olympics, but who is he going to roll around with as an enticement for recruits? He's small, so the smaller guys, but with his knees how often would he go?

This said, I think Spencer has looked good lately and his gas tank better. Barring injury, I see him winning the Olympics this year.

Disagree. Anytime you have an Olympic medalist it moves the needle. You go in a recruits home with a Olympic gold medalist and it helps!
If you leverage the Old Gold medalists, then it definitely helps. But if Tom is just going to tell people they need to be a Hawk and leave it at that, it won't help much. TnT are still going to need to sell it. I also think SL wins the Gold.

It helps, but I don't think that much. I think Spencer wins the Olympics, but who is he going to roll around with as an enticement for recruits? He's small, so the smaller guys, but with his knees how often would he go?

This said, I think Spencer has looked good lately and his gas tank better. Barring injury, I see him winning the Olympics this year.
This is the unfortunate thing, how many miles are left with Spencer? Possibly a reduction in work load and he can gain back some but it's hard to tell.

Spencer qualifying and winning or medaling is good for Iowa. That being said, we - myself included - need to stop finding doomsday scenarios for everything involving the Hawks.
It seems some things should be different inside the program (agree that some new coaches and HWC members would be nice), but I don't want Tom running my house, so I have to stop wanting to do his job.
Good luck to Spencer (and Zain) and positive thoughts going forward for all the current Hawkeyes and the future.

If Spencer doesn't make the Olympics, then this is the current state (In honor of Tornado Season) of Iowa wrestling.

1. Spencer needs to make the Olympic Team
2. Land Gable Steveson for his 4th year and to the HWC
3. Hire Nolf as a coach, get rid of Telford and move Morningstar to Recruiting Coordiantor
4. Land Parco
5. Keep Ferrari’s out of trouble for a year
6. Raise money off the above moves

Do the above in order and we are back in the game!

3. Hire Nolf as a coach, get rid of Telford and move Morningstar to Recruiting Coordiantor
4. Land Parco

2, 3 and 5 don't look too good from my foxhole. 97 Ferrari is a huge challenge, GS has no reason to come to Iowa, and what are we going to give to lure Nolf? And why should he want to come? Not being overly cynical but all three seem pretty far fetched. I can see us getting halfway there with 1, 4 and 6 so I guess that would be a good start.

Reactions: el dub
The value of a gold medalist in HWC and in that wrestling room is huge. Best in the world and would be a substantial bump in recruiting, fan excitement and motivation in that wrestling room. The main negative for the iowa program if he doesnt make it is that opportunity cost. A loss wouldnt derail iowa other than a dip of fan enthusiasm since spencer is the best opportunity of a gold coming out of our room in decades. But a win would bump iowa in a positive direction. And of course most important of all, a win allows Iowa fans to brag about it on the Internet.

4. Land Parco

Okay, now let’s move to #2 on the list ……

No, I don’t mean changing the head coach.

#2 on the list is landing Gable Steveson for his last year or for the HWC.

Then we move to #3.

Follow along !
You’re not following. Chief wasn’t replying to you.

Reactions: blcoach80
You mean the guy in Lee’s corner?

I said Lee qualifying for the Olympics would not alter Hawkeye wrestling. PA said it would if Lee became head coach. Which isn’t the topic. Regardless of what you think of Brands, I think you should agree that replacing Brands with Lee is a more impactful change than Lee qualifying for the Olympics.

I said Lee qualifying for the Olympics would not alter Hawkeye wrestling. PA said it would if Lee became head coach. Which isn’t the topic. Regardless of what you think of Brands, I think you should agree that replacing Brands with Lee is a more impactful change than Lee qualifying for the Olympics.

Ok..gotcha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT