ADVERTISEMENT

Impressive assists

TKingpin

HR MVP
Sep 6, 2006
I am not talking about basketball - but I wanted to point out the small things the rest of the defensive players did AFTER the interception and the fumble recovery in order to help DeJean and Merriweather score.

After DeJean makes that over-the-shoulder catch the other defender (Castro?) bracketing the WR takes off straight downfield to find someone to block. If you watch the replay, you will see some very good blocks that help COOPER weave his way through the Rutgers offense.
1) #26 chips the intended WR just enough to keep him from getting back in the play.
2) #33 gets a block as COOPER is running to the opposite sideline and #33 stays with that block until he pancakes him.
3) probably the key block is #5 which allows COOPER to turn the corner and head north and south.
4) Van Ness blocks someone at the goal line to make sure he crosses the goal line.

If you watch the scoop and score, you will Castro, who should get credit for jarring the ball loose in the first place, doesn’t stand up and start dancing and saying, “Look at me!” No, he gets up on his feet instantly and heads to the goal line to usher him in. Now, he didn’t need to make a block, but he was clearly going to get one if needed.

Finally, on #26’s interception, you’ll notice Waggoner lumbering over to create interference and makes a good block to get the ball carrier an extra 5 yards or so.

Doing the little things sure adds up. I just wanted to point them out.

plus - the way DeJean uses the whole field reminds me a lot of Micah Hyde. I think we may have found our next great punt returner, too.

I am not talking about basketball - but I wanted to point out the small things the rest of the defensive players did AFTER the interception and the fumble recovery in order to help DeJean and Merriweather score.

After DeJean makes that over-the-shoulder catch the other defender (Castro?) bracketing the WR takes off straight downfield to find someone to block. If you watch the replay, you will see some very good blocks that help COOPER weave his way through the Rutgers offense.
1) #26 chips the intended WR just enough to keep him from getting back in the play.
2) #33 gets a block as COOPER is running to the opposite sideline and #33 stays with that block until he pancakes him.
3) probably the key block is #5 which allows COOPER to turn the corner and head north and south.
4) Van Ness blocks someone at the goal line to make sure he crosses the goal line.

If you watch the scoop and score, you will Castro, who should get credit for jarring the ball loose in the first place, doesn’t stand up and start dancing and saying, “Look at me!” No, he gets up on his feet instantly and heads to the goal line to usher him in. Now, he didn’t need to make a block, but he was clearly going to get one if needed.

Finally, on #26’s interception, you’ll notice Waggoner lumbering over to create interference and makes a good block to get the ball carrier an extra 5 yards or so.

Doing the little things sure adds up. I just wanted to point them out.

plus - the way DeJean uses the whole field reminds me a lot of Micah Hyde. I think we may have found our next great punt returner, too.
Like the way that Castro plays.

This defense is doing things right and they all seem to be in sync and focused. They are the lynchpin of this team, no doubt about it. I believe they create their own "good luck", but really there is no luck involved, just a lot of hard work, talent and coaching.

This defense is doing things right and they all seem to be in sync and focused. They are the lynchpin of this team, no doubt about it. I believe they create their own "good luck", but really there is no luck involved, just a lot of hard work, talent and coaching.
I cringe, and even get mad, whenever someone talks about “turnover luck” with Iowa.

No. Stop. This is the defense. There are no accidents. It isn’t luck, or variance. If you pass the ball downfield, this is the risk you take. Our TO margin is consistently very good, and we’ve been intercepting passes at a high rate for a long time.

I think the Defense has decided that they're not going to be satisfied with simple take-aways,.. Their plan is to take the ball away and score with it.

I think they realized they have to, the offense can't score 😧

I cringe, and even get mad, whenever someone talks about “turnover luck” with Iowa.

No. Stop. This is the defense. There are no accidents. It isn’t luck, or variance. If you pass the ball downfield, this is the risk you take. Our TO margin is consistently very good, and we’ve been intercepting passes at a high rate for a long time.
Totally agree. That is the foundation the Defense if built on. Started with NP and continued with PP. Keep the ball in front of you and eventually the opposing offense is going to make a mistake (either by D making a play or QB getting greedy because having to dink and dunk all day). It's also around these principles that the Offense "tries" to have the system they do. Theoretically, being a ball-control, conservative Offense plays into the strength of the team (the Defense).

A lot of Hawks made big plays Saturday, but Castro deserves a game ball. I hope he got one.

It stunk to hear Roberts was out, but Castro replaced him and played a heck of a game.

Phil keeps churning them out.

Totally agree. That is the foundation the Defense if built on. Started with NP and continued with PP. Keep the ball in front of you and eventually the opposing offense is going to make a mistake (either by D making a play or QB getting greedy because having to dink and dunk all day). It's also around these principles that the Offense "tries" to have the system they do. Theoretically, being a ball-control, conservative Offense plays into the strength of the team (the Defense).
Norm’s defenses were built up front (inside-out) so to speak, and Phil’s are kind of the opposite. Great in coverage and kind of an outside-in approach. It’s a very modern defense and an NFL mindset, and as our DL gets stronger it makes the defense that much tougher. People fall into this mindset that we just “do what we do” as if we’re doing the same thing repeatedly. No, no we are not! We mix coverages, bring sim pressures, our zone coverages are TIGHT, and we get a lot of guys snaps based on situations.

The hawks play that cover 2 type pass defense very well. Over the years the safeties etc have gotten so many INTs because of overthrown and tipped balled.

When you are in zone so much any pass that is tipped by a front 7 defender has a bunch of eyes on it.

Then add in the fact that there are a lot of qbs throwing high and in front or behind their receivers and balls getting tipped.

They remind of the great Tampa and Bears defenses that just turned teams over all the time.

Reactions: owenhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT