ADVERTISEMENT

In 25 years what has actually been accomplished?

Forgot to add for the 2010 Orange Bowl crowd. The triple option offense has a history of being stopped by teams coming off byes and time to prepare. Tom Osbourne has a losing bowl record.

Honest question?

Tons of outright championships?
Impressive BCS Bowl wins?
Playoff appearances?
Fun and exciting product to watch?
Revolving door of coordinators being so good they take HC positions?
2002-2004 was an impressive three-year run.

2009 was the last year Iowa had a legitimate top ten team.

Beyond that, a lot of mediocrity inflated by the Big Ten West. 2015 was the fake ID season, so….yeah, I would say it’s been 15 years since Kirk did something significant.

2002-2004 was an impressive three-year run.

2009 was the last year Iowa had a legitimate top ten team.

Beyond that, a lot of mediocrity inflated by the Big Ten West. 2015 was the fake ID season, so….yeah, I would say it’s been 15 years since Kirk did something significant.
I think Holiday Bowl winning team over USC was pretty legit too. Covid year team could have been great as well.

I guess the question is what are your realistic expectations?
For me, to have a coach who is not comfortable with being atrocious on offense and has the stones to play to win.

Bad games happen. Bad losses happen. But year after year of the same garbage tendencies and the same garbage approach to offense with no serious attempts to make actual changes is not acceptable.

Other than the choke vs ISU and getting completely dominated after opening kickoff return vs USC in the Orange Bowl, that 2002 season was pure fangasmic.

Aside from a couple other pretty good seasons (& another shared regular season crown), Kirk rode that to a lifetime contract.

And the program has been stuck in a rut for a long, looong time now because of Bowlsby & Barta's lack of good business sense.

Kirk has a lot of accomplishments from wins against top 10 programs, a few shared B1G titles, a runner up Heisman, award winners for multiple positions, and a consistent pipeline to the NFL. But the game has passed him by. You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. Kirk and his philosophies have become the villain.

For me, to have a coach who is not comfortable with being atrocious on offense and has the stones to play to win.

Bad games happen. Bad losses happen. But year after year of the same garbage tendencies and the same garbage approach to offense with no serious attempts to make actual changes is not acceptable.
This is where I’m at

I’m not as attached to the outcome anymore. I want Iowa to win but if they don’t it’s OK….

But the last 5-6 years has been atrocious to watch. The wins feel like losses in that Iowa finds some lucky bounce or odd play to win. Defense scores. Special team scores. An offense that can’t do anything breaks a big play….

I want to see competency. Watching Iowa play offense is like watching a team of newborns try to walk. Like they’re trying really hard, maximum effort and they either fail immediately or best case they take a small step

No other program I’ve seen has this much trouble throwing a football. None.

There is something broken with Kirk and the offense.

We are lucky (or maybe unlucky) that KJ is a stud and gets us any momentum and points

Other than the choke vs ISU and getting completely dominated after opening kickoff return vs USC in the Orange Bowl, that 2002 season was pure fangasmic.

Aside from a couple other pretty good seasons (& another shared regular season crown), Kirk rode that to a lifetime contract.

And the program has been stuck in a rut for a long, looong time now because of Bowlsby & Barta's lack of good business sense.
Barta got taken to the woodshed by KF. Who else would hire KF?

This is where I’m at

I’m not as attached to the outcome anymore. I want Iowa to win but if they don’t it’s OK….

But the last 5-6 years has been atrocious to watch. The wins feel like losses in that Iowa finds some lucky bounce or odd play to win. Defense scores. Special team scores. An offense that can’t do anything breaks a big play….

I want to see competency. Watching Iowa play offense is like watching a team of newborns try to walk. Like they’re trying really hard, maximum effort and they either fail immediately or best case they take a small step

No other program I’ve seen has this much trouble throwing a football. None.

There is something broken with Kirk and the offense.

We are lucky (or maybe unlucky) that KJ is a stud and gets us any momentum and points
This sums it up pretty well for me. “The wins can feel like losses”

It’s a game, let’s just try to make it fun again…I’d rather see aggressive mistakes

Kirk doesn't like change. Well guess what Kirk, forget about the NIL/portal changes.....you are about to get your ass kicked on a regular basis every time you head out to the west coast.

Reactions: hawkdave007
Barta got taken to the woodshed by KF. Who else would hire KF?

Yep. Barta was scared sh*tless with the thought of actually having to hire a head football coach, if Kirk left for the.... Oh yeah, he wouldn't have left.

Last contact should have been.... 4 mil a year, take it or effing leave it. You really think Kirk would have left, when he was actively try to position his son to take over as head coach?

Freaking Barta

Yep. Barta was scared sh*tless with the thought of actually having to hire a head football coach, if Kirk left for the.... Oh yeah, he wouldn't have left.

Last contact should have been.... 4 mil a year, take it or effing leave it. You really think Kirk would have left, when he was actively try to position his son to take over as head coach?

Freaking Barta
Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

A lot has been accomplished. But Iowa fans have elevated their expectations of a program that clearly has a coach that "levels" expectations
I don’t even know if elevated expectations is correct. I would rather take a short term step back if it meant we were fun to watch again.

It’s sort of like “Lickball” even if Todd L would have been successful at Iowa, I don’t know that it would have been enjoyable. I just want football to be fun again, rather than gouging my eyes out hoping the special teams blocks an extra point for a two point conversion to win and then pretend that everything was according to plan when our coach says, “that’s football”.

That’s really all I want…

Reactions: Lindemann

Freaking Barta
Gary Barta is a POS for the contracts he dished to KF and FMC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT