ADVERTISEMENT

In case you needed more evidence that conservatives are the world's biggest...

Even if Carrie wore a leotard that showed half her ass and then twerked while playing the flute? How about Lady Gaga? Miley Cyrus? I’m guessing there would be similar backlash in those cases.

Conversely, if Lizzo had worn a evening gown and played the flute respectfully, I doubt you’d see as much criticism.

Not absolutely everything is about race.
Haha, well to some people it often is about race/class/politics.... did you actually read the quotes and consider they are MAGA media personalities? I mean I'm sure the fact she is urban, a hip hop star, liberal, unattractive/overweight while not being ashamed of her body were factors too but if you think Carrie Underwood would have worn the skinny girl version of that and briefly shaked her legs and butt while just playing a few notes at the concert and gotten comments using those words from those people I strongly disagree.

The performance at the library of congress where she really played it was totally modest too, not sure which one they were even commenting on. The fact that they even pretend to give a shit about this flute they probably didn't know existed is funny to me. Crystal flute has nothing on right wing fragility these days

Could you give us the time stamp in this video of her playing Madison’s flute where the leotard and twerking happen?

Can you link for us some tweets where people complained about her performance at the Library of Congress, when she wore a modest outfit and played the flute with dignity and respect?

Because the tweets I saw where people were complaining specifically mentioned her other performance at Capital One Arena, when she wore a thong leotard and twerked while playing the flute in front of thousands of screaming fans.

And that sort of reinforces my suggestion that the criticism was more about having some dignity and showing respect for a piece of history than it was about her skin color.

It shouldn’t be surprising to me anymore that there are so many posters on this board who honestly think Miley Cyrus could dress like this during a concert in front of thousands of fans at Capital One Arena and twerk while playing James Madison’s crystal flute and no one on social media would have anything to say about it.

And yet somecrazyhow I continue to be surprised.

miley-cyrus-79657ad9efeb48bcb414893c10893083.jpg

Timely thread. OP's mom had her fingers all over my holes last night as well. No twitter reaction yet.

It shouldn’t be surprising to me anymore that there are so many posters on this board who honestly think Miley Cyrus could dress like this during a concert in front of thousands of fans at Capital One Arena and twerk while playing James Madison’s crystal flute and no one on social media would have anything to say about it.

And yet somecrazyhow I continue to be surprised.

miley-cyrus-79657ad9efeb48bcb414893c10893083.jpg
She is good looking, Lizzo is extremely over weight. It’s how the world has worked for a while. Who would you rather sleep with?

Even if Carrie wore a leotard that showed half her ass and then twerked while playing the flute? How about Lady Gaga? Miley Cyrus? I’m guessing there would be similar backlash in those cases.

Conversely, if Lizzo had worn a evening gown and played the flute respectfully, I doubt you’d see as much criticism.

Not absolutely everything is about race.
It's 100% absolutely completely about race. LOL anyone is trying to white knight these a-holes.

It's 100% absolutely completely about race. LOL anyone is trying to white knight these a-holes.
Lol. So if Miley Cyrus or Lady Gaga or Ariana Grande did exactly the same thing, your contention is that no one on Twitter would criticize them for it.

You’re living in an alternate reality.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Lol. So if Miley Cyrus or Lady Gaga or Ariana Grande did exactly the same thing, your contention is that no one on Twitter would criticize them for it.

You’re living in an alternate reality.
First off, let me say F#$&! YOU, HROT! You have me siding with TJ! A$$HOLES!

That said if you don't think conservatives would be blowing up social media if Miley or Lady Gaga (who I really like) was play'n the ole antique, glass flute while doing this you've lost your ever love'n mind.

tumblr_ms486krbH51qh9nffo2_500.gif

Hell, the conservatives went batshit crazy over Marilyn Manson coming to Anchorage back in the 90s. Most didn't even know who he was until the "outrage" and that was pre-social media.

Personally, I'm pretty appalled by most of the vulgarity that goes on in today's $hitty music culture (it's the conservative in me). However, I choose to just not watch rather than attempt to regulate morality. That's the difference between me and my constituents, I guess.

There's a huge difference between this (which isn't really that bad)

and this

Personally, I think the first one is in poor taste with no issue on the 2nd (and that certainly isn't about race). However, it's certainly nothing I'd get worked up over or even bat an eye on. Just commenting because someone else brought it up on a message board I actively participate in.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, I bet most on here don't really care about half the crap we post about (outside of Chis). Hell, if it weren't for HROT I wouldn't even know about 80% of it anyway.
This is true. I don't really care about gaffes by politicians but there I am arguing about it. If I was in Congress I'd make social media all the time - mostly from outbursts like, "WTF??" or "Give me an effing break!!"

I don't know how they can sit there and listen to each other silently. People wouldn't all agree with my public speeches but I would be damn entertaining with my language.

There's a huge difference between this (which isn't really that bad)

and this

Personally, I think the first one is in poor taste with no issue on the 2nd (and that certainly isn't about race). However, it's certainly nothing I'd get worked up over or even bat an eye on. Just commenting because someone else brought it up on a message board I actively participate in.

I'm kind of with you here. Playing it in that outfit while twerking isn't really giving it the respect it deserves as a piece of history.

That said it's not something I'm up in arms about. Trump and his cronies attempting to overthrow an elected government and install themselves is far more concerning to me.

But I would prefer it if she would have given it a bit more respect than she did in the arena.

Haha, well to some people it often is about race/class/politics.... did you actually read the quotes and consider they are MAGA media personalities? I mean I'm sure the fact she is urban, a hip hop star, liberal, unattractive/overweight while not being ashamed of her body were factors too but if you think Carrie Underwood would have worn the skinny girl version of that and briefly shaked her legs and butt while just playing a few notes at the concert and gotten comments using those words from those people I strongly disagree.

The performance at the library of congress where she really played it was totally modest too, not sure which one they were even commenting on. The fact that they even pretend to give a shit about this flute they probably didn't know existed is funny to me. Crystal flute has nothing on right wing fragility these days

I don't know every cataloged historical object in the world but I tend to wish that they are all treated with the respect they deserve.

Like I don't know everything about the historical objects in Iraq that ISIS felt like they had to destroy, but I was unhappy about their destruction simply because I don't like historical objects being destroyed.

Likewise I don't know every object that the founding father's owned that we have in the library of congress or in museums, or at their former homes, but being that they have historical significance I tend to not want them treated with disrespect.

Like I really would not want a couple to go to Mount Vernon and have sex on George Washington's bed. Even if it was a married couple no matter if they just got married or had been married for 50 years. Nor would I want them to go do it in whatever shelters Washington had for his slaves.

I don't know every cataloged historical object in the world but I tend to wish that they are all treated with the respect they deserve.

Like I don't know everything about the historical objects in Iraq that ISIS felt like they had to destroy, but I was unhappy about their destruction simply because I don't like historical objects being destroyed.

Likewise I don't know every object that the founding father's owned that we have in the library of congress or in museums, or at their former homes, but being that they have historical significance I tend to not want them treated with disrespect.

Like I really would not want a couple to go to Mount Vernon and have sex on George Washington's bed. Even if it was a married couple no matter if they just got married or had been married for 50 years. Nor would I want them to go do it in whatever shelters Washington had for his slaves.
Right. I feel the same way. I guess it's the accrued value associated with history that simply isn't replaceable.

That's part of the reason I probably enjoy national parks so much.

When it's gone it's gone.

If Republicans are playing the modesty/morality card because they don't like how Lizzo dances and dresses then I'm just rolling my eyes. Now I am no fan of watching Lizzo perform (Although a few of her songs are fun), so I'm not getting worked up about it either way. But she is a classically trained flautist and it's not like she tried to use it as a sex toy. She just played a few notes for the crowd talking about how she got to play it earlier and then moved on.

That this is a story at all is ridiculous.

Can you link for us some tweets where people complained about her performance at the Library of Congress, when she wore a modest outfit and played the flute with dignity and respect?

Because the tweets I saw where people were complaining specifically mentioned her other performance at Capital One Arena, when she wore a thong leotard and twerked while playing the flute in front of thousands of screaming fans.

And that sort of reinforces my suggestion that the criticism was more about having some dignity and showing respect for a piece of history than it was about her skin color.
These are Trump worshippers, the guy who has done more to desecrate and disrespect our history/country than about anyone. Let's just stop with the dignity and respect bullshit. JFC

Reactions: Rudolph and torbee
I think it's basically that Lizzo is sort of an avatar of something the left loves, and the flute is an avatar of something the right loves.

From the right's perspective... Lizzo playing the flute is of course going to be a showy political stunt that all of the left is going to applaud... and they're probably doing it, to an extent, to poke at the right. Plus, this is a sacred, irreplaceable piece of American history that should be respected. Not a toy to be played with.

From the left's perspective... there's something delicious about a black woman playing this sacred piece of American history that previously belonged to a slave owner. The right won't like it because of latent bigotry.

I see valid points going both ways. Yeah, there are probably political overtones to the event that were realized by those creating the event. (although if you show me history of plenty of other people playing the flute in that manner, that argument is weakened -- still, in today's political climate? You sort of knew what you were getting into)

I can also appreciate the symbolism involved. I can also appreciate the concern over toying with a "sacred object."

Personally.. don't really care so long as there was no chance the damned thing was dropped and broken. I hate ruining irreplaceable stuff.
At the end of the day, she is a very popular, classically trained musician who got an opportunity to showcase her talent on a very cool and unique piece of Americana.

The conversation really doesn't need to go much beyond that, IMO.

Reactions: Rudolph
"This is a priceless piece of American history; a founding father's fragile crystal flute of over 300 years in age and we're letting someone parade around with it casually on stage for a bit of political symbology that's serving more as entertainment than enlightenment."

But one must ask the question, what is a flute for? Musical entertainment, no?

And again, I don't think "parade around with it casually" is a fair description. This is an artist who appreciates and celebrates classical music and as far as I know isn't known for smashing musical instruments, lol.

I'm kind of with you here. Playing it in that outfit while twerking isn't really giving it the respect it deserves as a piece of history.

That said it's not something I'm up in arms about. Trump and his cronies attempting to overthrow an elected government and install themselves is far more concerning to me.

But I would prefer it if she would have given it a bit more respect than she did in the arena.
LOL. It's a freaking musical instrument.

Who cares about her outfit? I think she looks kinda dumb in it, but it's not like she shoved the flute up her ass and played it via flatulence.

These are Trump worshippers, the guy who has done more to desecrate and disrespect our history/country than about anyone. Let's just stop with the dignity and respect bullshit. JFC
I agree 100% with you that anyone who supports Trump and criticized Lizzo for this is a hypocrite. But that’s not the point I’ve been making throughout this thread and it doesn’t refute my point.

The fact that they’re hypocrites doesn’t mean their criticism of Lizzo is based on her race or her weight.

Not everything is race-based. That’s basically the message I’m trying to get across to you guys.

Not everything is race-based.

• Haha
Reactions: unsubstantiated
But one must ask the question, what is a flute for? Musical entertainment, no?

And again, I don't think "parade around with it casually" is a fair description. This is an artist who appreciates and celebrates classical music and as far as I know isn't known for smashing musical instruments, lol.

Sure... as far as the flute is concerned, it's the material it's made of that really gets me.

Way too risk averse to take something that has to be worth millions, can't be replaced, and could drop and shatter.

I wouldn't let it out of the case.

LOL. It's a freaking musical instrument.

Who cares about her outfit? I think she looks kinda dumb in it, but it's not like she shoved the flute up her ass and played it via flatulence.
If Miley Cyrus or Ariana Grande had done exactly the same thing that Lizzo did, what do you suppose the social media reaction from conservatives would have looked like?

If Miley Cyrus or Ariana Grande had done exactly the same thing that Lizzo did, what do you suppose the social media reaction from conservatives would have looked like?
They probably would have freaked the F out and I would be on here calling them fragile babies for it.

Notice I haven't brought up race in this issue. Do I think Lizzo being a loud, proud, beefy liberal black lady is part of the undercurrent of the conservative discontent? Fo sho.

But I don't disagree with you that it's the OH MY WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN pearl clutching that is the main driver. That, too, is pathetic and dumb, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT