ADVERTISEMENT

In Florida, DeSantis’s plans for colleges rattle some academics

The poster above has somehow forgotten or is perhaps too young to recall the days when Florida, firmly in the grasp of full Democratic control, mandated that every single high school - public OR private - had to teach a course called “Americanism vs. Communism”.
Our current Governor wasn’t even born yet, and Republicans had been shut out of the Governor’s Mansion since Reconstruction until a one off dude named Claude Kirk was elected on what some called a fluke.
Mom...you understand that Republicans were “dirty bastards” in the South from the 1860’s forward to the passing of the Civil Rights of 1964 legislation, which served as the turning point for the GOP in the old South. “Americanism vCommunism” Post WW2 was pretty common in this nation back in those McCarthy days...mandating a school course might be a little extreme but certainly not that fR out of the public’s stream of consciousness.

Mom...you understand that Republicans were “dirty bastards” in the South from the 1860’s forward to the passing of the Civil Rights of 1964 legislation, which served as the turning point for the GOP in the old South. “Americanism vCommunism” Post WW2 was pretty common in this nation back in those McCarthy days...mandating a school course might be a little extreme but certainly not that fR out of the public’s stream of consciousness.
Interesting POV from someone who has to run his mouth every day on something while posing as an expert on virtually every topic under the sun, including the history of Florida politics.
Tell us how long you lived in Florida or went to school in Florida or grew up here, maybe?
I don’t comment on Iowa politics. There’s a reason for that.

• Haha
Reactions: SocraticIshmael
Interesting POV from someone who has to run his mouth every day on something while posing as an expert on virtually every topic under the sun, including the history of Florida politics.
Tell us how long you lived in Florida or went to school in Florida or grew up here, maybe?
Damn. I never lived in Ukraine or Russia. I need to go delete all my posts in that mega thread.

Expert? No
Better informed than most? Probably
Understanding the evils of modern “Republicanism” (Republicanism since Newt G)? Oh, yeah…Guilty

Is there a democrat who uses the term, "woke," more than DeSantos?

He will play with a section of the Orange Turd's Maggots and an alternative to the rest of the Republicans. He is not personable, has a questionable past, a Freedom Caucus member, and has produced an atrocious recent civil rights record that runs opposite national trends.

He fits Florida's voter pattern. He should stay there with the alligators and hurricanes.

Not DeFelon but related enough. The GQP is always going back in time. Book bannings, only would be outdone by book burnings

5oeUURM.jpg

Last edited:
The poster above has somehow forgotten or is perhaps too young to recall the days when Florida, firmly in the grasp of full Democratic control, mandated that every single high school - public OR private - had to teach a course called “Americanism vs. Communism”.
Our current Governor wasn’t even born yet, and Republicans had been shut out of the Governor’s Mansion since Reconstruction until a one off dude named Claude Kirk was elected on what some called a fluke.

I've lost track. Were you a teacher in the past, or now?

People keep saying books are “banned”. No. Books about certain subject matter are age restricted in schools but not in the public library or at any bookstore. Or online in your own home. That means the parents make their own determination.
That’s not new.
As an Example / Lady Chatterly’s Lover has never been on primary school library shelves for 5-8 year olds. Well except in Boston but it’s gonna be tough to hang that on RDS.

• Haha
I taught school but in Texas - not in Florida.

Just wondering if you agree with the arbitrary stuff going on in Florida. Book banning and taking over colleges.

Doesn't seem to me experienced academics would appreciate government interference.

Just wondering if you agree with the arbitrary stuff going on in Florida. Book banning and taking over colleges.

Doesn't seem to me experienced academics would appreciate government interference.
I was a parent before I was a teacher. And it was never a remote issue in Texas as you might imagine.

I was a parent before I was a teacher. And it was never a remote issue in Texas as you might imagine.\

Edited ----

That's interesting, but not what I'm asking. Do you agree with a state's arbitrary incursion into the education environment? I'll not indicate a state to pin you down. although it's not hard to tell what state is leading the charge.

Is there a threshold partisan politics cross that threatens society's good when it comes to educating our kids and young adults? Understanding the conservative view is too much information comprises the conservative positions on virtually every issue and deserves push-back. Hence the takeover of a liberal college and empty library shelves of books that have been available.

This is state controlling education. Do you honestly feel comfortable with it? Or are you agreeable because you like your Governor. Big difference and I'm not prejudging or criticizing. You wouldn't care anyway.

IMO, DieSanTos is among the most extremist politicians alive. A Freedom Caucus member, fortunately he has no human qualities that would endear him to many other than Floridians.

Last edited:
People keep saying books are “banned”. No. Books about certain subject matter are age restricted in schools but not in the public library or at any bookstore. Or online in your own home. That means the parents make their own determination.
That’s not new.
As an Example / Lady Chatterly’s Lover has never been on primary school library shelves for 5-8 year olds. Well except in Boston but it’s gonna be tough to hang that on RDS.

This argument is presented by proponents of censorship.

Goldmom. You are saying If a book not allowed on the property it is not banned!

Does this sound like a sound thought process to you? You are rationalizing the reason for censorship. Hopefully it's the result of time since you were planting ideas in young minds.

Last edited:
This argument is presented by proponents of censorship.

Goldmom. You are saying If a book not allowed on the property it is not banned!

Does this sound like a sound thought process to you? You are rationalizing the reason for censorship. Hopefully it's the result of time since you were planting ideas in young minds.
You have your take and you’ve expressed it.
I see it differently and we will leave it at that.
Period.

• Haha
You were likely not alive at the time and thus were not witness to the events you and some of the astonishingly ignorant posters like the one just after you.
Thus you might not have noticed that you’ve swallowed the new version of “the way things were” as well as “the way we SAY things are”...which I find frightening to say the least.
I thought you were brighter?

Well, goldmom, If you are a retired teacher, you are certainly aware of the civil rights issues. Don't imagine we weren't witnesses. I grew up watching black and with TV news images of the goings-on in the South. McCarthy's hearings or recordings. My parents were educated and nurtured me and my siblings on events on everything, which spurred my interest and the main reason I'm a bleeding-heart liberal. For me, caring for people and their needs means more than finding ways to diminish their condition.

You may have retreated into a cocoon without realizing it as have many conservatives unwilling to accept the condition your party has fallen, but there is a reality out here. I have relatives with advanced degrees that accept the Orange Turd's fallacies. Not inferring you do but no one is exempt from the right-wing lunacy.

For you to criticize people's version of civil rights history, and application while being a DieSanTos fan is bizarre.

I grew up in the South in the 50’s and 60’s.
I SAW things in real life - and not just on my parents B&W TV. I rode segregated city buses to school and went grocery shopping with my Mother in grocery stores and other buildings where there were white and black water fountains and bathrooms. I sat in Church when the priest told parishioners that the parish elementary school would be integrated and those who didn’t like it could leave. I watched some get up and do just that.
And I’m retired - but I did not retire from education. I admittedly left for a better paying job.
I also value the profession and the vast majority of professionals who give their all in classrooms where they work hard to help our children learn.
You’re conflating several issues here. Each is important enough to stand on its own.

ADVERTISEMENT