ADVERTISEMENT

In Florida, DeSantis’s plans for colleges rattle some academics

It's truly disheartening to see the GOP actually winning the war on knowledge. How pathetic does a party need to be that the only way they can stay in power is to keep their base undereducated?
The dumbing down of America is a “steady drip” process...Ignorance and stupidity and jealousy are hard to fight in today’s America.

Trump’s election in ‘16 should have scared the he’ll out of most sensible citizens. Honestly, look at his rallies...listen to the minions being interviewed...just look at them! How in God’s name can any of us feel confident in the direction of this country today, based on what they are saying.

The dumbing down of America is a “steady drip” process...Ignorance and stupidity and jealousy are hard to fight in today’s America.

Trump’s election in ‘16 should have scared the he’ll out of most sensible citizens. Honestly, look at his rallies...listen to the minions being interviewed...just look at them! How in God’s name can any of us feel confident in the direction of this country today, based on what they are saying.

He relied on the dumb voter. The red states are the low educated states. Rural are low educated areas.

The popular vote increased remarkably in 2020, carrying Biden with a push-back to the Orange Turd.

I mean, who doesn’t want their kids and their professors being required to state their political opinions to the state?

Good god, really? A survey of professors and grad assistants to determine political affiliation and view points? Seriously, WTF. I seriously doubt that this fascist initiative into higher education holds up legally if challenged.

Q: What is your political affiliation?
A: The FU party

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
Good god, really? A survey of professors and grad assistants to determine political affiliation and view points? Seriously, WTF. I seriously doubt that this fascist initiative into higher education holds up legally if challenged.

Q: What is your political affiliation?
A: The FU party
You sound like a trouble maker, your name goes on the list.

Looks like this pisses off the Therapy Cat crowd. Didn't read any of it but I'm all for it! LOL!
I'd love to see your rage sputter response if you were forced to register your political identity in a similar situation.

FWgiereUIAM4iJc

FWgigJkVUAIqjFw
So goddamned dishonest. Locke was one of the enlightenment thinkers that helped get us away from religious government doctrine. His argument about ”God given rights” was making a point that leaders shouldn’t use their religious beliefs to take away natural rights we are all born with (life, Liberty and property).

Reactions: JupiterHawk
The poster above has somehow forgotten or is perhaps too young to recall the days when Florida, firmly in the grasp of full Democratic control, mandated that every single high school - public OR private - had to teach a course called “Americanism vs. Communism”.
Our current Governor wasn’t even born yet, and Republicans had been shut out of the Governor’s Mansion since Reconstruction until a one off dude named Claude Kirk was elected on what some called a fluke.

Reactions: Banditking
The poster above has somehow forgotten or is perhaps too young to recall the days when Florida, firmly in the grasp of full Democratic control, mandated that every single high school - public OR private - had to teach a course called “Americanism vs. Communism”.
Our current Governor wasn’t even born yet, and Republicans had been shut out of the Governor’s Mansion since Reconstruction until a one off dude named Claude Kirk was elected on what some called a fluke.
There was this thing called the Cold War

That was when the Republicans were still progressive and the Democrats were the racist aholes. You might have noticed, the parties have switched places since then.

Yes and in that era a Republican senator named Joseph McCarthy Conducted paranoid hearings in the US Senate and destroy the lives of hundreds of people he felt Had communist tendencies and were being “un-American control. Artists, writers, composers, educators.

Why be a chronically and despicably dishonest person on these boards? A smiling troll who relies on gradeschool insults because you feel the compulsion to defend the indefensible. Disgraceful and destructive behavior.

You could be spending your time volunteering to actually help kids rather than defend policies that keep them ignorant.

This thread is not about the 1950s. This is about the present moment in Florida under a fascist white nationalist governor.

Address the issue: do you believe that millions of young people in Florida’s schools should be taught that Washington and Jefferson opposed to slavery, but not taught that they built their fortunes on the backs of the enslaved people that they owned.

Do you have enough remaining integrity to answer honestly?

despicable trolling and dishonesty right here on exhibit. Classic trumpist whataboutism

The fact that a Republican senator named Joseph McCarthy waged a paranoid battle against what he thought were communists infiltrating our culture, and he hauled many of our greatest geniuses before his committee and he ruined the lives of hundreds of people, and made the entire country paranoid. The people he attacked him through the full force of the government against included: Leonard Bernstein, Aaron Copeland, Orson Wells, Langston Hughes, Pete Seger, Lena Horne, Charlie Chaplin, etc. etc.

if you have any integrity, you will address the fact that right now the governor of Florida, is actively being fascist and pressuring teachers to white wash history. He is asking them to lie.

answer the question: do you believe that it is responsible or ethical to lie to students and tell them that Washington and Jefferson were against slavery, and also omit the fact that they owned hundreds of them and their wealth and power was based on them, and even raped them for their own personal pleasure?

In Nazi Germany, school children were not taught about the concentration camps either. The Hitler youth were indoctrinated in order to be white nationalists and super patriots.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
That was when the Republicans were still progressive and the Democrats were the racist aholes. You might have noticed, the parties have switched places since then.
You were likely not alive at the time and thus were not witness to the events you and some of the astonishingly ignorant posters like the one just after you.
Thus you might not have noticed that you’ve swallowed the new version of “the way things were” as well as “the way we SAY things are”...which I find frightening to say the least.
I thought you were brighter?

You were likely not alive at the time and thus were not witness to the events you and some of the astonishingly ignorant posters like the one just after you.
Thus you might not have noticed that you’ve swallowed the new version of “the way things were” as well as “the way we SAY things are”...which I find frightening to say the least.
I thought you were brighter?
Yep. The switch is largely a myth. What we do have now I do think is a shift and that’s college educated voters shifting dem. That used to be a gop advantage.

check out the 2000 ish college Ed gop advantage

my formative years (gen x) impression of the Dems versus gop is that the former was bimodal. Rich people and poor people. The rich voted dem because tax policies and such largely didn’t affect them (enough access to loopholes that didn’t matter) and they could be seen as looking out for the little guy, union workers/poor people voted dem because of handouts. So “the handout party.” It’s still the handout party. Gop I saw as the middle and upper middle class party and the religious right (poor).

the Dems have worked hard on racial/ethnic coalitions and marketing the gop as “deplorables.” I think that’s working. It’s also very consistent with Dems pre civil rights era. Ie. The party methods haven’t changed at all. They’re still racists and all about the othering. I think gop is, unfortunately adopting similar methods (eg the culture war stuff and on high dictates and demonization). It’s less the party of leave us alone and now more like the democrats in trying to force a perspective.

check out the 2000 ish college Ed gop advantage

my formative years (gen x) impression of the Dems versus gop is that the former was bimodal. Rich people and poor people. The rich voted dem because tax policies and such largely didn’t affect them (enough access to loopholes that didn’t matter) and they could be seen as looking out for the little guy, union workers/poor people voted dem because of handouts. So “the handout party.” It’s still the handout party. Gop I saw as the middle and upper middle class party and the religious right (poor).

the Dems have worked hard on racial/ethnic coalitions and marketing the gop as “deplorables.” I think that’s working. It’s also very consistent with Dems pre civil rights era. Ie. The party methods haven’t changed at all. They’re still racists and all about the othering. I think gop is, unfortunately adopting similar methods (eg the culture war stuff and on high dictates and demonization). It’s less the party of leave us alone and now more like the democrats in trying to force a perspective.
JFC.

What is it with you people?

horribly Orwellian. Truly terrifying takes from Trumpists and cultists and white supremacists on these boards.

We should teach about presidents etc, the good that they did.

BUT it’s not a “theory” that Washington and Jefferson owned slaves and raped them for pleasure. They were brutal, cruel, awful, but also powerful and important political leaders.

hitler and Stalin and mao rewrote History by omitting FACTS and banned and burned books. The current GQP is quite similar. Incredible that people defend this

It’s not theory that Washington was called “village destroyer” by native Americans because he was DIRECTLY responsible for genocide and ethnic cleansing of hundreds of thousands of people.

ALL FACTS and all must be taught.

If that’s not taught we are not teaching history, but propaganda.

ADVERTISEMENT