ADVERTISEMENT

In honor of Memorial Day - the HROT thread that makes u feel good about America

HRiscool

HB Heisman
Feb 28, 2007
In honor of memorial day HR encourages you to spend 72 hours NOT-hating America. After Monday please return to your posts blaming the USA for everything.

WW2 was a turning point in history. It woke up the world to three important things. Dictatorship is bad. Not saying we got rid of all dictators, just that they are bad. And there are fewer now, than there was then. It also taught us about the cost of bigotry. The Axis powers saw strength in their homogeneous society. Well they lost and Jesse Owens won. It also taught us the ultimate cost of war. Those nukes in 1945 were a warning.

The world is better for America being a beacon rather than the USSR, Nazi Germany, Mao's China, Japan, Italy, etc. Of course it's hard to prove that when we don't know the alternate paths of history. But I'll give it a try.

Friends of the USA post WW2

Japan
West Germany
South Korea
Hong Kong/Taiwan
UK

Freinds of collectivism post WW2

Vietnam
East Germany
North Korea
Mainland China
USSR

Now China is doing much better than in 1946. But it wasn't until China and the USA started heavy trade that things headed in the "right" direction for China. Take a look at Hong Kong (and later Taiwan) and China between 1945 and 1975. It's clear which one was an economic success story.

Collectivism was and is on the wrong side of history. We could've chosen that path. We didn't. We can feel good about that. The world without America would have more dictators and less freedom.

So, does this mean you are taking a break from Obama bashing? If you hate the President, doesn't that mean you hate America?

When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the Freak Show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat!- George Carlin

By the way, the OP's "friends" lists are incredibly naive, if not totally made-up. We were friends with Japan before World War II. It's easy to think you have friends when you've got them all chained in your basement.

Memorial Day is a day to remember those men and women
who sacrificed their lives in the military service of our nation.
Not everyone came home alive from WWII, the Korean War,
the Vietnam War, and the wars in the Mid-East.

We need to be grateful that some were willing to give their
lives and die in battle, Too many citizens see Memorial Day
as a three day weekend to celebrate the beginning of Summer.
Cook outs, Picnics, Backyard BBQ's are not the reason for
this holiday.

May each one of us honor in our hearts the brave men
and women who died for our nation. The ultimate sacrifice
is shedding your blood for the America you love.

But, that is exactly what it is- a three day weekend to celebrate the beginning of Summer.
Cook outs, Picnics, Backyard BBQ's. that's all it is.

Glorification of war is a really sh*tty reason to have a day that praises it. If anything, I feel sorry for all those that were duped into thinking they needed to kill strangers in foreign lands to gain power, influence, resources and control for those who were in charge of the real estate they lived on. Ask your Savior, Jesus, how He feels about War and humans killing each other over earthly endeavors. You're always claiming to be uber-Christian. Act like it.

War Is A Racket

Despite the childish rants of Strumming, American needs
to honor the sacrifice of lives made by our military. May
Memorial Day be a reminder of those brave men and women.
There is nothing childish about what Strumm said. You don't just sit there and ignore wrong doings. That GOD of your isn't impressed with Memorial Day. Why are you?

Strumm died in 1940 before the US was drawn into WWII. Wonder if he would have had the prescience to realize this was a worthwhile war or if he would have preached isolationism.

Strumm died in 1940 before the US was drawn into WWII. Wonder if he would have had the prescience to realize this was a worthwhile war or if he would have preached isolationism.
Would of been less hard to fight had we not supplied Hitler with so much gear. There is nothing glorious about war. And the why the F, is minding your own f'n business isolationism?

arianny-celeste-brittney-palmer-american-flag-bikini-peek.gif

z262__87962.1405375664.1280.1280.jpg
90731d60-e003-0131-bfe2-0eb233c768fb.jpg
kate-upton-flag.gif
giphy.gif

Would of been less hard to fight had we not supplied Hitler with so much gear. There is nothing glorious about war. And the why the F, is minding your own f'n business isolationism?

We were also selling a lot of scrap metal to Japan before the war. Some historian (maybe Walter Lord) suggested it was possible that a US serviceman was killed by the same bed springs he was conceived on.

Back to point, Memorial Day to me is about our free elections, politicians chosen by popular vote (as much as they may suck), the Constitution and Bill of Rights. And most importantly the men and women who died, lost legs or arms, so I can vote for anybody I want to represent me in the government. That is important to me. I've made some bad choices in elections and if you are honest you will admit the same. The people we elect send our young generation to fight and die.

I'm cooking out today (chicken thighs and asparagus) but will drink plenty of beer today and tomorrow. AMC and History Channel should be good tomorrow. I have Monday off for the servicemen who went where their country told them to go, 1775-present. I won't listen to a single word of a speech from a dumbass pol. They send young men to die, sometimes in pointless wars or police actions or military strikes. Those a-holes don't care about that, their worst fear is losing an election.

We were also selling a lot of scrap metal to Japan before the war. Some historian (maybe Walter Lord) suggested it was possible that a US serviceman was killed by the same bed springs he was conceived on.

Back to point, Memorial Day to me is about our free elections, politicians chosen by popular vote (as much as they may suck), the Constitution and Bill of Rights. And most importantly the men and women who died, lost legs or arms, so I can vote for anybody I want to represent me in the government. That is important to me. I've made some bad choices in elections and if you are honest you will admit the same. The people we elect send our young generation to fight and die.

I'm cooking out today (chicken thighs and asparagus) but will drink plenty of beer today and tomorrow. AMC and History Channel should be good tomorrow. I have Monday off for the servicemen who went where their country told them to go, 1775-present. I won't listen to a single word of a speech from a dumbass pol. They send young men to die, sometimes in pointless wars or police actions or military strikes. Those a-holes don't care about that, their worst fear is losing an election.
Well said!!

The men who served in the military during WWII were
drafted. There were also a few who volunteered. Those
who died in combat, deserve our gratitude for the sacrifice
they made. It does not matter that Roosevelt was President,
those men loved their country and fought for freedom.

If they were drafted they really didn't have a choice now did they?

I beg to differ with your definition of "a few."

~39% were volunteers
~61% were drafted

WWII troop data

I beg to differ with your definition of "a few."

~39% were volunteers
~61% were drafted

WWII troop data
Still the overwhelming majority were drafted. But can't blame them. For young men fighting the Germans and Japanese in the prime of their lives couldn't have been a promising prospect.

For whatever it's worth the only country which could be considered a major contributor to WWII that had an all-volunteer army was Canada.

Still the overwhelming majority were drafted. But can't blame them. For young men fighting the Germans and Japanese in the prime of their lives couldn't have been a promising prospect.

For whatever it's worth the only country which could be considered a major contributor to WWII that had an all-volunteer army was Canada.

I think you're under the impression if they were drafted they didn't want to fight. Watch the special features commentary on band of brothers and then post again.

I think you're under the impression if they were drafted they didn't want to fight. Watch the special features commentary on band of brothers and then post again.

Not sure what your point is.

Not saying they wouldn't fight but just not eager. As for the Band of Brothers reference certain units in the military were all volunteer,..such as the Airborne, Marines, and Submarine service. Still the overwhelming majority of our armed forces were forced into fighting.

Not sure what your point is.

Not saying they wouldn't fight but just not eager. As for the Band of Brothers reference certain units in the military were all volunteer,..such as the Airborne, Marines, and Submarine service. Still the overwhelming majority of our armed forces were forced into fighting.

I told you to comment after watching it. This is why you got kicked out of the Army, CAN'T FOLLOW ORDERS. Your assumption that draftees didn't want to be part of a noble mission is silly. This wasn't Nam where you had huge numbers of deserters/draft-dodgers. Most of those drafted would've joined voluntarily.

I told you to comment after watching it. This is why you got kicked out of the Army, CAN'T FOLLOW ORDERS. Your assumption that draftees didn't want to be part of a noble mission is silly. This wasn't Nam where you had huge numbers of deserters. Most of those drafted would've joined voluntarily.

I got kicked out of the army? News to me.

In January 1945 the Provost Marshall of the MPs in Paris reported that there were an outright 40,000 deserters from the army in northwestern Europe. Note these were troops that had been away for an extended period of time and were deemed to have no intention of rejoining their units.

As for your Vietnam reference you seem to confuse draft dodger with deserter. In Southeast Asia where would they go?

But, that is exactly what it is- a three day weekend to celebrate the beginning of Summer.
Cook outs, Picnics, Backyard BBQ's. that's all it is.

Glorification of war is a really sh*tty reason to have a day that praises it. If anything, I feel sorry for all those that were duped into thinking they needed to kill strangers in foreign lands to gain power, influence, resources and control for those who were in charge of the real estate they lived on. Ask your Savior, Jesus, how He feels about War and humans killing each other over earthly endeavors. You're always claiming to be uber-Christian. Act like it.

War Is A Racket

Have you ever done anything of consequence? Did you fight for this country or have any relatives who died in battle?

Attaching a supposed writing from Smedley Butler, conspirator in the Busness Plot? Take a break for the weekend. Enjoy your freedom and come back Tuesday or Weds refreshed to act and speak foolishly.

Have you ever done anything of consequence? Did you fight for this country or have any relatives who died in battle?

Attaching a supposed writing from Smedley Butler, conspirator in the Busness Plot? Take a break for the weekend. Enjoy your freedom and come back Tuesday or Weds refreshed to act and speak foolishly.

Be more vague... anything of consequence???

Did I fight by going to foreign lands and shooting at indigenous people? No. Thank God! Do I have relatives that did? Of course. Who doesn't? As many wars as this country is in, you can't avoid that. My Dad died of agent Orange cancer at age 53.

And, that wasn't a "supposed writing" by Butler. It's genuine.

In honor of memorial day HR encourages you to spend 72 hours NOT-hating America. After Monday please return to your posts blaming the USA for everything.

WW2 was a turning point in history. It woke up the world to three important things. Dictatorship is bad. Not saying we got rid of all dictators, just that they are bad. And there are fewer now, than there was then. It also taught us about the cost of bigotry. The Axis powers saw strength in their homogeneous society. Well they lost and Jesse Owens won. It also taught us the ultimate cost of war. Those nukes in 1945 were a warning.

The world is better for America being a beacon rather than the USSR, Nazi Germany, Mao's China, Japan, Italy, etc. Of course it's hard to prove that when we don't know the alternate paths of history. But I'll give it a try.

Friends of the USA post WW2

Japan
West Germany
South Korea
Hong Kong/Taiwan
UK

Freinds of collectivism post WW2

Vietnam
East Germany
North Korea
Mainland China
USSR

Now China is doing much better than in 1946. But it wasn't until China and the USA started heavy trade that things headed in the "right" direction for China. Take a look at Hong Kong (and later Taiwan) and China between 1945 and 1975. It's clear which one was an economic success story.

Collectivism was and is on the wrong side of history. We could've chosen that path. We didn't. We can feel good about that. The world without America would have more dictators and less freedom.

yz4rKAI.jpg

There is nothing childish about what Strumm said. You don't just sit there and ignore wrong doings. That GOD of your isn't impressed with Memorial Day. Why are you?
Because it's to honor people who have their lives fighting for what they believed were just causes in WW 1 &2, and those who died in less just wars, still answering the bell for their nation

Because it's to honor people who have their lives fighting for what they believed were just causes in WW 1 &2, and those who died in less just wars, still answering the bell for their nation
And I get that, but as much as its a day to honor, it should also be a day to mourn.

Arguing against our involvement in WW2 is effed logic, though coming from a black/white troll...Meh

This was where America was at before Pearl Harbor. Young men were glad that America wasn't caught up in the insanity.

Kinnick's Heisman Trophy acceptance speech, made approximately two years before the United States entered World War II, is remembered as one of the most eloquent and moving ever given.

Bill Cunningham of the Boston Post wrote, "This country's okay as long as it produces Nile Kinnicks. The football part is incidental." AP reporter Whitney Martin wrote, "You realized the ovation (after his Heisman speech) wasn't alone for Nile Kinnick, the outstanding college football player of the year. It was also for Nile Kinnick, typifying everything admirable in American youth." Another observer said that Kinnick's remarks "tackled Demosthenes and threw Cicero for a 15-yard loss." The University of Iowa recently began playing an excerpt from the speech on the Kinnick Stadium scoreboard before "The Star-Spangled Banner" at every Hawkeye home game.

A GREAT YOUNG REPUBLICAN FOLLOWS HIS HEART

Kinnick was elected student body president his senior year at Iowa. A member of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity at Iowa, Kinnick also maintained a 3.4 GPA. As he neared graduation with a degree in economics, he was one of thirty students selected to the Phi Beta Kappa fraternity, and the university president informed him that he would graduate "with distinction", Iowa's equivalent to graduating cum laude. He gave the commencement speech for the University of Iowa's graduating class in 1940.

Kinnick was the leading vote-getter in the nation for the College All-Star Game, while his coach, Eddie Anderson, was voted in to coach the team against Iowa alum Joe Laws and the NFL champion Green Bay Packers. The Packers defeated the College All-Stars, 45-28. Kinnick scored two touchdowns and kicked four extra points. It was noted that the All-Stars scored four touchdowns while Kinnick was in the game; when he sat on the bench, they mustered just one first down.

Kinnick rejected several lucrative offers to play professional football. He was drafted by the Brooklyn Dodgers, and the team owner offered to pay him a $10,000 annual salary or on a game-by-game basis for $1,000 a game. Instead of going into professional football, he entered the University of Iowa College of Law. After one year of law school, Kinnick ranked third in his class academically.

He also had an interest in politics. Kinnick, himself the grandson of a Governor, spoke before the Young Republicans and introduced 1940 presidential candidate Wendell Willkie at a campaign rally. Kinnick said, "When the members of any nation have come to regard their country as nothing more than the plot of ground on which they reside, and their government as a mere organization for providing police or contracting treaties; when they have ceased to entertain any warmer feelings for one another than those which interest or personal friendship or a mere general philanthropy may produce, the moral dissolution of that nation is at hand." The Marion Sentinel proposed in an article to endorse a presidential run for Kinnick in 1956, the first year in which he would be eligible.

While Kinnick took a year of law school in 1940, he also served as an assistant football coach for the Hawkeyes, aiding the freshman team and scouting upcoming opponents. He accompanied the team to South Bend to see Iowa upset the Irish for the second straight season. According to The Daily Iowan's account, "Nile Kinnick, cool, calm, and collected while he's on a football team, pranced up and down the dressing room almost jabbering in his excitement." He was also an assistant football coach at Iowa in 1941.

THAT SAME COURAGEOUS PACIFIST AND PATRIOT DOES WHAT MANY ON THIS BOARD COULD NEVER DO, HE FOLLOWS A MORAL COMPASS WHICH LEADS HIM TOWARD A NOBLE CAUSE

But Kinnick left law school after one year and enlisted in the Naval Air Reserve. After completing a speaking tour of Iowa communities and visiting his parents in Omaha, he reported for induction three days before the attack on Pearl Harbor. He wrote, "There is no reason in the world why we shouldn't fight for the preservation of a chance to live freely, no reason why we shouldn't suffer to uphold that which we want to endure. May God give me the courage to do my duty and not falter." Later, he added, "Every man whom I've admired in history has willingly and courageously served in his country's armed forces in times of danger. It is not only a duty but an honor to follow their example the best I know how. May God give me the courage and ability to so conduct myself in every situation that my country, my family, and my friends will be proud of me."

Nile was able to return to Iowa one last time in 1942. He visited Adel and saw his father one final time. He then went to Iowa City and watched Iowa's football game against Washington University from the press box. When the Iowa crowd heard of Nile's presence, they began a loud "We want Kinnick!" chant until Kinnick leaned out of the press box with an appreciative wave.

Kinnick was training to be a fighter pilot. "The task which lies ahead is adventure as well as duty," Nile wrote in his final letter to his parents before deploying with the USS Lexington in late May 1943, "and I am anxious to get at it. I feel better in mind and body than I have for ten years and am quite certain I can meet the foe confident and unafraid. 'I have set the Lord always before me, because He is at my right hand. I shall not be moved.' Truly, we have shared to the full life, love, and laughter. Comforted in the knowledge that your thought and prayer go with us every minute, and sure that your faith and courage will never falter, no matter the outcome, I bid you au revoir."

DEATH OF A BRAVE FUTURE REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT. HE WASN'T A FAN OF WAR, BUT HE WAS A FAN OF FREEDOM AND AMERICAN VALUES

On June 2, 1943, Kinnick was on a routine training flight from the aircraft carrier USS Lexington (CV-16), which was off the coast of Venezuela in the Gulf of Paria. Kinnick had been flying for over an hour when his F4F Wildcat developed an oil leak so serious that he could neither reach land nor the Lexington, whose flight deck was in any case crowded with planes preparing for launch. Kinnick followed standard military procedure and executed an emergency landing in the water, but died in the process. Rescue boats arrived on the scene a mere eight minutes later, but they found only an oil slick. His body was never recovered. Nile Kinnick was the first Heisman Trophy winner to die; he was a month and seven days away from his 25th birthday.

Iowa sportscaster Tait Cummins said, "Kinnick proved one thing, that college athletics could be beautiful. Everything that can be said that is good about college athletics he was. He didn't represent it...he was it."

There is also some uncertainty about exactly how Kinnick died. Reiter was the only person who claimed to have seen Kinnick clear of the plane and motionless in the water. Reiter died three months later.

Since Kinnick's body was never found, it is possible that Kinnick was still tethered to the plane. Dick Tosaw, whose brother played high school football with Kinnick, has repeatedly pursued the idea of finding and salvaging Kinnick's plane, and making a monument at Kinnick Stadium or at Adel-DeSoto-Minburn High School. But the possibility, however remote, that Kinnick's body is still with the plane led to overwhelming opposition to Tosaw's efforts. Nile Kinnick Sr. opposed the idea, saying that it would be like digging up his son's grave. Kinnick's teammates were also unanimously opposed to the idea. Such strong opposition from Kinnick's teammates, relatives, and fans scuttled Tosaw's plans.

You want to really honor these people? Make sure less of them need to be honored in the future! Stop voting-in shills for the munitions industry and people who's instinct is to send military to solve the world's problems. Stop advocating it yourself and discourage it with your peers. Setting aside some token annual day to wave a flag and have cook-outs is about as lame, and self-serving as it gets. Have a mandatory viewing of War Torn 1861-2010.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT