ADVERTISEMENT

In other union news: impending rail workers strike would cost the economy $2 billion per day....

So, getting your deliveries on time from Amazon on Black Friday isn't important to society?

Let the disgruntled workers walkout on one of the busiest days of the year and it's legally "concerted protected activity" and therefore prohibits Amazon from disciplining these workers for that????

Why's that not acceptable for trains and planes to suffer, but it's okay for Amazon?
No. It's not. That you don't understand the difference is your own failure.

Reactions: funksouljon
I grew up in a RR town. I also had shitload of clients that worked the RR. I''m not trying to put everyone the same box. But I know some of how they blow their fortunes.

I'd take 80-125K without any education. Full benefits. etc. While I don't side with big money RR owners....their workers have plenty of money.

I was actually thinking about the same thing…they’d have to increase their “standby” personnel because with paid sick leave more workers will be “sick”.

There's already a great deal of available trainmen on extra boards. Even if nobody ever called off, train volumes and schedules change by the hour. On the transportation side, if your hours of rest have been satisfied, your phone can ring. And if you don't have whiskers, you might be driving awhile to relieve a crew. This is the life of a young conductor or engineer for a Class 1. It's beaten into their minds when they hire on and train.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I'd take 80-125K without any education. Full benefits. etc. While I don't side with big money RR owners....their workers have plenty of money.

If you're referring to the transportation side, which this is almost entirely about, we're talking about a lot more money than what you listed. And you do need a high school diploma or GED. I know, no big deal. But to become a certified conductor or engineer is no easy task. You have to learn the track layouts of countless yards, you have to master a rule book thicker than The Bible, you have to work in any and all weather conditions, 24-7-365. But, most importantly, you have to learn how to break down and build trains in the most efficient way possible. With yard masters, train masters, other trains, MOW and contractors in your ear about why you're in their way. It's a very stressful learning process. What I'm saying is, trainmen have plenty of hard earned education. And they're smart people.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
If you're referring to the transportation side, which this is almost entirely about, we're talking about a lot more money than what you listed. And you do need a high school diploma or GED. I know, no big deal. But to become a certified conductor or engineer is no easy task. You have to learn the track layouts of countless yards, you have to master a rule book thicker than The Bible, you have to work in any and all weather conditions, 24-7-365. But, most importantly, you have to learn how to break down and build trains in the most efficient way possible. With yard masters, train masters, other trains, MOW and contractors in your ear about why you're in their way. It's a very stressful learning process. What I'm saying is, trainmen have plenty of hard earned education. And they're smart people.

Seriously, You are talking on deaf ears (no pun intended). I get all that and sure RR companies make a ton of money.

....But lets not forget that a majority of them waste their money

Serious question I’ve tried to research: Is the government involved here because of the criticality of railroads? Why isn’t this just your standard labor dispute between labor and employers?

I can even understand gubmint officials saying things like “settle, boys”, but legislation?

Hey, Bern, ya think the rail companies are just gonna eat that loss?

"loss"?

They've become vastly MORE profitable over the past decade or more, reducing their workforce and NOT sharing those profits WITH the workers (in the form of higher pay and more paid sick leave)

Spending those profits on dividends and stock buybacks shows you their priorities. Which are NOT their workers.

The HOR added seven sick days to the tentative agreement in a very close vote. Congratulations to trainmen and all railroaders. Now, it’s on to the Senate.

Reactions: franklinman
From a previous post:

As a retired railroader I can confirm that a big reason foreman wanted to become managers was for both the better health benefits and better retirement packages. The very same compensation management did not want to share with workers. Every contract took 2-3 years to settle”

There are some truths and some non-truths in this statement. Railroad retirement and the pension that an employee will draw have nothing to do with being in the ranks or being in management. It’s simply about how much money you put into the RRB during your working years. And whether or not you have 360 credited months of service. Also, becoming a management employee doesn’t mean a bump in pay in many entry to mid-level jobs. A lot of times it means less pay. You have to climb pretty high in a Class 1 railroad to reach a salary base that exceeds what trainmen and/or high OT MOW employees make.

Senate vote is tomorrow. Will 10 republicans do the right thing and support the workers?

I noticed how you had nothing to say about Biden’s recommendation yesterday. Good for the trainmen. I’ll put the seven sick days with the vacation days that I don’t use.
Biden was right yesterday and the Democrats did good today. The GOP is useless

Biden recommended the opposite of what the HOR added today. Nothing was stopping him from doing the same as the house democrats. 😂
Yep yesterday forcing through what was on the table was the right move and well done today by the Democrats not the HOR, the DEMOCRATS

Yep yesterday forcing through what was on the table was the right move and well done today by the Democrats not the HOR, the DEMOCRATS

You don’t understand the process. Biden was free to recommend the same thing yesterday that the house democrats did today. He did not. Your hero shit on railroaders. No ifs ands or buts about it.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
You don’t understand the process. Biden was free to recommend the same thing yesterday that the house democrats did today. He did not. Your hero shit on railroaders. No ifs ands or buts about it.
Nope the Union also wanted them to take action as it stood yesterday for the sake of the economy over the minority who was against the previous agreement.

Step 1 - pay them better - done

Step 2 - give them better working conditions - tba

We have crushed the working class for 40 years. It's time we reverse the trend.
I cannot believe how difficult it is for "outsiders" to comprehend there are factors other than $$ that are every bit as important as liveable wages to a working man. How phuquing dense/thick/slow can management and others (including Congress) be regarding this issue? It ain't rocket science.

Hey, Bern, ya think the rail companies are just gonna eat that loss?

No, they’re gonna increase prices. So, you are advocating for a tax on consumers here.
Never ever trust the cons to do the right thing for the American worker, just another example which they have many.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT