ADVERTISEMENT

In other union news: impending rail workers strike would cost the economy $2 billion per day....

You know what he meant. Joe stood out there and patted himself on the back. Then Trad was shit in in this thread. Now we’re right back where we were.

I’m not blaming Joe, but he was so proud of himself. ;)
WTF?

Step 1 - pay them better - done

Step 2 - give them better working conditions - tba

We have crushed the working class for 40 years. It's time we reverse the trend.
It seems the sticking point is time off for doctor visits and sick days. The union workers have a lot of leverage here, it's unsurprising they are using it.

My idiocy. And someone actually involved in this process. You don't know a damn thing, Riley. 😂
Tell us the way forward in this situation. You are obviously anti union, but how does a winning negotiation happen?
The owners holding all the cards is a non starter.

Tell us the way forward in this situation. You are obviously anti union, but how does a winning negotiation happen?
The owners holding all the cards is a non starter.

It's simple. This is primarily a BLET beef. Especially on the UP and BN. And they have a legitimate complaint in regard to paid sick days. I will concede that, despite the fact that each and every engineer and conductor working for a Class 1 railroad knew exactly what he/she was signing up for. That's the BLET though, which consists of trainmen who work insane, required hours with little time off. The other unions involved under this bargaining umbrella have far different working environments. The Class 1 railroads are still old school about some things. Sick days being one. I think they're going to have to concede and ratify their proposal. Or, they'll probably be forced to by the government. Hopefully, at least. If Biden and Co. really want to avoid a strike, they'll force the hands of the Class 1 brass. They have that power. As far as my own take on union life, it's not so much that I'm anti-union across the board, it's that I witness the abuses of union protection daily on the job. This is a view that somebody like Riley, who doesn't know shit about being in a union, witnessed company discipline under a union, fair and impartial hearings under a union, firings and hirebacks, back pay...etc. hasn't ever seen.

It's simple. This is primarily a BLET beef. Especially on the UP and BN. And they have a legitimate complaint in regard to paid sick days. I will concede that, despite the fact that each and every engineer and conductor working for a Class 1 railroad knew exactly what he was signing up for. That's the BLET though, which consists of trainmen who work insane, required hours with little time off. The other unions involved under this bargaining umbrella have far different working environments. The Class 1 railroads are still old school about some things. Sick days being one. I think they're going to have to concede and ratify their proposal. Or, they'll probably be forced to by the government. Hopefully, at least. If Biden and Co. really want to avoid a strike, they'll force the hands of the Class 1 brass. They have that power. As far as my own take on union life, it's not so much that I'm anti-union across the board, it's that I witness the abuses of union protection daily on the job. This is a view that somebody like Riley, who doesn't know shit about being in a union, hasn't ever seen.
We see these horrible tales on this board all the time. I’ve been a union member for years. The union works with the college on issues across the board. Every time the college has terminated someone it was for just cause and the union didn’t fight it at all

It's simple. This is primarily a BLET beef. Especially on the UP and BN. And they have a legitimate complaint in regard to paid sick days. I will concede that, despite the fact that each and every engineer and conductor working for a Class 1 railroad knew exactly what he was signing up for. That's the BLET though, which consists of trainmen who work insane, required hours with little time off. The other unions involved under this bargaining umbrella have far different working environments. The Class 1 railroads are still old school about some things. Sick days being one. I think they're going to have to concede and ratify their proposal. Or, they'll probably be forced to by the government. Hopefully, at least. If Biden and Co. really want to avoid a strike, they'll force the hands of the Class 1 brass. They have that power. As far as my own take on union life, it's not so much that I'm anti-union across the board, it's that I witness the abuses of union protection daily on the job. This is a view that somebody like Riley, who doesn't know shit about being in a union, witnessed company discipline under a union, fair and impartial hearings under a union, firings and hirebacks, back pay...etc. hasn't ever seen.
So you think the union demands should be granted while also arguing against the unions negotiating for those demands.

That's idiocy in a class by itself. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
We see these horrible tales on this board all the time. I’ve been a union member for years. The union works with the college on issues across the board. Every time the college has terminated someone it was for just cause and the union didn’t fight it at all

How many of those employees were hired back? With back pay and prior rights?

So you think the union demands should be granted while also arguing against the unions negotiating for those demands.

That's idiocy in a class by itself. LOL.

No, genius. I'm pointing out that while I agree with the demand for paid sick days, a lot of abuses go on in union life in which a particular company's hands are essentially tied. Things that you don't know anything about. Read what I posted again and do try to keep up.

No, genius. I'm pointing out that while I agree with the demand for paid sick days, a lot of abuses go on in union life in which a particular company's hands are essentially tied. Things that you don't know anything about. Read what I posted again and do try to keep up.
So, exactly what I said. You're saying those demands are worthy while also arguing against the union who is negotiating for them. It's classic self own. You're hilarious.

• Haha
Step 1 - pay them better - done

Step 2 - give them better working conditions - tba

We have crushed the working class for 40 years. It's time we reverse the trend.

This is utter ignorance in regard to what's actually going on. Put away your politics blinders for a second, do some reading and learn before posting.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
So, exactly what I said. You're saying those demands are worthy while also arguing against the union who is negotiating for them. It's classic self own. You're hilarious.

You're grasping at straws. Unions are far from perfect. I have a lot of problems with my own union. That doesn't mean I have to be all-for or all-against it. It doesn't mean I can't agree with something that is proposed by a particular union while disagreeing with other things. How stupid are you?

Reactions: Finance85
Already called out you idiocy a couple times. Now I have to tell you that laughing at you is only a "like" for losers like you who count those things.

You'd probably notice them to if anyone liked your shit with any degree of regularity. And all while posting on a highly liberal board. 😂

• Haha
You're grasping at straws. Unions are far from perfect. I have a lot of problems with my own union. That doesn't mean I have to be all-for or all-against it. It doesn't mean I can't agree with something that is proposed by a particular union while disagreeing with other things. How stupid are you?
When did I ever say unions are perfect? You're the one arguing both sides and are too dumb to realize it.

You asking someone else "How stupid are you" is classic irony. LOL at you.

When did I ever say unions are perfect? You're the one arguing both sides and are too dumb to realize it.

You asking someone else "How stupid are you" is classic irony. LOL at you.

Is it possible to agree with one thing in regard to something while disagreeing with other things? Just answer this question, Riley.

Reactions: Finance85
Is it possible to agree with one thing in regard to something while disagreeing with other things? Just answer this question, Riley.
Yes. But that's not what this is. You're agreeing with the demand for sick time and also bashing the union for negotiating for it. That's agreeing with one thing and disagreeing with it as well.

Idiot.

• Haha
It's simple. This is primarily a BLET beef. Especially on the UP and BN. And they have a legitimate complaint in regard to paid sick days. I will concede that, despite the fact that each and every engineer and conductor working for a Class 1 railroad knew exactly what he/she was signing up for. That's the BLET though, which consists of trainmen who work insane, required hours with little time off. The other unions involved under this bargaining umbrella have far different working environments. The Class 1 railroads are still old school about some things. Sick days being one. I think they're going to have to concede and ratify their proposal. Or, they'll probably be forced to by the government. Hopefully, at least. If Biden and Co. really want to avoid a strike, they'll force the hands of the Class 1 brass. They have that power. As far as my own take on union life, it's not so much that I'm anti-union across the board, it's that I witness the abuses of union protection daily on the job. This is a view that somebody like Riley, who doesn't know shit about being in a union, witnessed company discipline under a union, fair and impartial hearings under a union, firings and hirebacks, back pay...etc. hasn't ever seen.
What did you just post? Sick days should be granted? Lay man terms please.
Stop the Riley fest and tell us in simple words what you think should happen. Damn dude, you rant like hell.

Yes. But that's not what this is. You're agreeing with the demand for sick time and also bashing the union for negotiating for it. That's agreeing with one thing and disagreeing with it as well.

Idiot.

You're beat, Riley. That's absolutely not what's going on and you know it.

What did you just post? Sick days should be granted? Lay man terms please.
Stop the Riley fest and tell us in simple words what you think should happen. Damn dude, you rant like hell.

You asked me to tell you the way forward in the situation. I did that. It's not ranting like hell as much, IMO, as showing the complexity of this negotiation. There are 12 very different unions involved in this. And two of them have legitimate "power." But, together, in arbitration, we're the same. lol. Yes, I think the Class 1 railroads should grant sick days to the BLET employees. Which, by proxy, means all of the involved unions will be granted paid sick days as well. Great. Woohoo. Means nothing to me.

• Haha
You asked me to tell you the way forward in the situation. I did that. It's not ranting like hell as much, IMO, as showing the complexity of this negotiation. There are 12 very different unions involved in this. And two of them have legitimate "power." But, together, in arbitration, we're the same. lol. Yes, I think the Class 1 railroads should grant sick days to the BLET employees. Which, by proxy, means all of the involved unions will be granted paid sick days as well. Great. Woohoo. Means nothing to me.
So, if it means nothing to you, what is your gripe? You are coming across as mad about something. What, in simple words, is your bitch?
You just hate unions?

How many of those employees were hired back? With back pay and prior rights?
Not one single person. I’ve only been here a dozen years but not one. Granted we are talking about 3 individuals but none are still working. Meanwhile, the union and administration have worked together and developed an evaluation system that found its way into trade magazines.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Not one single person. I’ve only been here a dozen years but not one. Granted we are talking about 3 individuals but none are still working. Meanwhile, the union and administration have worked together and developed an evaluation system that found its way into trade magazines.
This is like a breath of fresh air. Really. Congratulations

• Haha
So, if it means nothing to you, what is your gripe? You are coming across as mad about something. What, in simple words, is your bitch?
You just hate unions?
I've already expressed my gripes. Paid sick days mean nothing to me. I won't use them. I rarely call off. And, if I do, don't pay me for a day. I'm fine with that. Or, I'll just use a vacation day...of which I have a shitload. The horror! My gripes are this: My union bringing back fired employees, with back pay, who are "unable" to piss for drug tests. Rehired employees who violate the limits of track authority while protecting other men active on main line, in the face of working ****ing trains. Rehired employees who have injured "brothers" on the job through carelessness, stupidity or intoxication. Some for life. Brought back to work. I can keep going. Shall I?

I've already expressed my gripes. Paid sick days mean nothing to me. I won't use them. I rarely call off. And, if I do, don't pay me for a day. I'm fine with that. Or, I'll just use a vacation day...of which I have a shitload. The horror! My gripes are this: My union bringing back fired employees, with back pay, who are "unable" to piss for drug tests. Rehired employees who violate the limits of track authority while protecting other men active on main line, in the face of working ****ing trains. Rehired employees who have injured "brothers" on the job through carelessness, stupidity or intoxication. Some for life. Brought back to work. I can keep going. Shall I?
Sure. Keep going if if gives you some relief from the horrors. Tell us how bad it is.
Paid sick leave is a huge need for some folks, especially those without vacation days which your union has fought for.
You think your Union won benefits are inconsequential?
You may be a bit out of touch regarding the work places of non unionized folks.

Sure. Keep going if if gives you some relief from the horrors. Tell us how bad it is.
Paid sick leave is a huge need for some folks, especially those without vacation days which your union has fought for.
You think your Union won benefits are inconsequential?
You may be a bit out of touch regarding the work places of non unionized folks.

Actual union guy explains the Big Problem with unions.

Liberal posters who don't know what they're talking about mock him for it.

This thread is soooooo HORT.

Actual union guy advocates for paid sick time and then argues against the union that is fighting for paid sick time. LOL - no wonder you support him.

Meanwhile, traddie drops in with nothing. Bitches about paying healthcare workers enough to pay their bills. Whines about big guvmint regulations of his profession. Complains about gas and tobacco prices.
Back on topic. What “Big Problem” did the guy explain?

ADVERTISEMENT