ADVERTISEMENT

In other union news: impending rail workers strike would cost the economy $2 billion per day....

Meanwhile, traddie drops in with nothing. Bitches about paying healthcare workers enough to pay their bills. Whines about big guvmint regulations of his profession. Complains about gas and tobacco prices.
Back on topic. What “Big Problem” did the guy explain?

You have drug addicts driving trains.... because unions.

• Haha
Reactions: franklinman
Sure. Keep going if if gives you some relief from the horrors. Tell us how bad it is.
Paid sick leave is a huge need for some folks, especially those without vacation days which your union has fought for.
You think your Union won benefits are inconsequential?
You may be a bit out of touch regarding the work places of non unionized folks.

This is disgusting to me. It's funny as well, but it's also disgusting. What do you know about my union? Which union am I a member of? Can you even identify it? And what did we bargain for? Do you realize that a lot of proposals, arguments, counter arguments and counter proposals took place for years during this process? From a lot of different unions? What am I out of touch with? JFC, I've already simplified it for you, the non-involved. But, you know more than I do?

This is disgusting to me. It's funny as well, but it's also disgusting. What do you know about my union? Of which union am I a member of? Can you even identify it? And what did we bargain for? And what does it mean in the current process?
You continue to talk about how the union impacts you. It is your life and I respect your privacy. Whatever, fella. You post like the guy that unions represent as far as vacay pay, but hate in other respects.
Life is complicated, right?

Sure. Keep going if if gives you some relief from the horrors. Tell us how bad it is.
Paid sick leave is a huge need for some folks, especially those without vacation days which your union has fought for.
You think your Union won benefits are inconsequential?
You may be a bit out of touch regarding the work places of non unionized folks.

Did you even read what I posted? Paid sick leave means something for 2 of 12 unions involved in this battle. My union won benefits? What union am I a member of? Can you say? JFC, you naysayers are speaking pure nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: TC Nole OX
Did you even read what I posted? Paid sick leave means something for 2 of 12 unions involved in this battle. My union won benefits? What union am I a member of? Can you say? JFC, you naysayers are speaking pure nonsense.
Why do you think your union’s name means anything in this conversation? That is your personal bizness. But, if your union did not help grant you vacay pay, sick leave would be very important to you.

I can't speak for BLET employees, but I can say with all honesty that there are MOW employees, protected by the BMWED who are drunk and or high on the job. What is your response to this?
There are employees in every field of employment and every state in the union drunk or high on the job daily who do or don’t have union protection. Is your company/union somehow magically exempt?
I have tired of this back and forth, so peace out and best wishes to you Kinnick.

Why do you think your union’s name means anything in this conversation? That is your personal bizness. But, if your union did not help grant you vacay pay, sick leave would be very important to you.

Whaaaaaat? Listen closely: There are 12 unions involved in this process. 12 very different unions. My own gripes, with my own union, are what I have addressed. Since day one on this forum. Good for the BLET for fighting for paid sick days. We'll strike with them should it come to that. Awesome. It has zip to do with my own CBA.

Whaaaaaat? Listen closely: There are 12 unions involved in this process. 12 very different unions. My own gripes, with my own union, are what I have addressed. Since day one on this forum. Good for the BLET for fighting for paid sick days. We'll strike with them should it come to that. Awesome. It has zip to do with my own CBA.
Kewl. Good night.

There are employees in every field of employment and every state in the union drunk or high on the job daily who do or don’t have union protection. Is your company/union somehow magically exempt?
I have tired of this back and forth, so peace out and best wishes to you Kinnick.

I agree. How many have you seen hired back in non-union jobs?? JFC. Do you want examples??

Welp, President Biden has made his decision. No sick days for railroad employees. No right to strike. How red of him! What a dictator! 😂

https://www.bmwe.org/secondary.aspx?id=720

White House Decision to Force Tentative Agreement Does Not Address Rail Industry Disease

BAU...Biden, like Pelosi, is a Corporate Centrist. As I said in another thread, basically a republican without the perpetual grievance insanity

No surprise here. In the 1980s, Biden was to the right of Reagan on the failed "War on Drugs"

"Biden is correct that the surge began in the 1970s and accelerated in the 1980s, but a closer look at his role reveals that it was Biden who was among the principal and earliest movers of the policy agenda that would become the war on drugs and mass incarceration, and he did so in the face of initial reluctance from none other than President Ronald Reagan. Indeed, Reagan even vetoed a signature piece of Biden legislation, which he drafted with arch segregationist Sen. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina, to create a federal “drug czar.”

Last edited:
No surprise here. In the 1980s, Biden was to the right of Reagan on the failed "War on Drugs"

"Biden is correct that the surge began in the 1970s and accelerated in the 1980s, but a closer look at his role reveals that it was Biden who was among the principal and earliest movers of the policy agenda that would become the war on drugs and mass incarceration, and he did so in the face of initial reluctance from none other than President Ronald Reagan. Indeed, Reagan even vetoed a signature piece of Biden legislation, which he drafted with arch segregationist Sen. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina, to create a federal “drug czar.”

Too bad Joe's war on drugs didn't trickle down to Hunter.

No wonder that there might be rail employees on drugs.

"Four of twelve unions have rejected the deal the administration brokered in mid-September between rail carriers and union workers to avert a national strike. They remain concerned about their lack of paid sick days. More generally, though, they oppose a new staffing system implemented after 2018, which created record profits for the country’s main rail carriers but cost the industry 40,000 jobs, mainly among the people who actually operate the trains, leading to brutal schedules and dangerous working conditions.

The new system, called Precision Schedule Railroading (PSR), made trains far more efficient by keeping workers on very tight schedules that leave little time for anything but work. Any disruption in those schedules—a family emergency, for example—brought disciplinary action and possible job loss. Although workers got an average of 3 weeks’ vacation and holidays, the rest of their time, including weekends, was tightly controlled, while smaller crews meant more dangerous working conditions."

Okay, so I have no idea how the railroad workflow actually works, but as an HR guy, I can't imagine how "sick days" for railroad workers would actually work.

So, you're not feeling well and call your supervisor out sick.

Fine.

The train has to leave on time and they'll find someone else to replace you.

But then the next day you're feeling better and ready to return to work.

Well.... your train is 500 miles away at that point. Do you continue to get paid because there's no train for you to board after calling out sick?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Okay, so I have no idea how the railroad workflow actually works, but as an HR guy, I can't imagine how "sick days" for railroad workers would actually work.

Fine.

Well.... your train is 500 miles away at that point. Do you continue to get paid because there's no train for you to board after calling out sick?
You should probably sit this one out. I know you won’t, but you should.

Fine.

I was actually thinking about the same thing…they’d have to increase their “standby” personnel because with paid sick leave more workers will be “sick”.

Professionally, I'd like some industry insight into why Biden agreed that sick days are a non-starter.
I can’t speak for him. But you aren’t going to learn the nuances of railroad life through a message board. Heck, Im pretty sure the basics have been established within this thread.

I can’t speak for him. But you aren’t going to learn the nuances of railroad life through a message board. Heck, Im pretty sure the basics have been established within this thread.

On a broader scale, don't you find it odd that the federal government decides which industries need government protection from extreme union demands?

Railroads, airlines, schools, Major League Baseball....

Other industries can just get raped by the unions. Why's that?

On a broader scale, don't you find it odd that the federal government decides which industries need government protection from extreme union demands?

Railroads, airlines, schools, Major League Baseball....

Other industries can just get raped by the unions. Why's that?
Importance to society. It’s why govt is fully entrenched in railroad in most aspects.

Well, their union participation is miniscule for one thing. SMFH.

Amazon workers' "Black Friday" protests struck in 40 countries. Black Friday is sort of a big delivery day for Amazon. That's not important to society?

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Amazon workers' "Black Friday" protests struck in 40 countries. Black Friday is sort of a big delivery day for Amazon. That's not important to society?

LOL at you equating protests to strikes.

You're a clown.

That's all you ever read. LOL.

You're a clown.

So, getting your deliveries on time from Amazon on Black Friday isn't important to society?

Let the disgruntled workers walkout on one of the busiest days of the year and it's legally "concerted protected activity" and therefore prohibits Amazon from disciplining these workers for that????

Why's that not acceptable for trains and planes to suffer, but it's okay for Amazon?

Reactions: seminoleed
ADVERTISEMENT