ADVERTISEMENT

In the minority on this, but I LOVE the Midwest in winter.....

We’ve done that stretch a few times. Love the Turkey.

We’ve paddled every eastern Iowa river from mouth or entrance to the state to the Mississippi. My favorites: Yellow (mostly for the fishing), North Fork of Maquoketa, Turkey, Volga, and the Maquoketa proper. The beauty about the Maquoketa is that it’s only an hour from Iowa City and maintains a stunner throughout. Also great sand bars and natural areas to check out. The Upper Iowa gets the publicity, but give me the Maquoketa any day.
Oh and Whitewater Canyon. Depends on the flow, but damn. Nothing like it in Iowa.

Least favorites: Iowa, Cedar (has its moments) and the Wapsi. Just too much adjacent Ag land. Very dirty rivers.

Have you floated down Little Paint in YRF?

Have you floated down Little Paint in YRF?

Just looked it up. Tell me more? What’s the flow like? We typically have 2-3 canoes and a few kayaks, plus enough supplies to keep us self-sustained for a few days, so avoid creeks, unless there is passable flow. I also have a kayak and a packraft for solo trips. Could this be a good packraft float?

Reactions: jellyfish10
Just looked it up. Tell me more? What’s the flow like? We typically have 2-3 canoes and a few kayaks, plus enough supplies to keep us self-sustained for a few days, so avoid creeks, unless there is passable flow. I also have a kayak and a packraft for solo trips. Could this be a good packraft float?

Sorry I forgot to get back to you. Water levels on little paint are typically pretty low and probably not navigable with a canoe. It runs through Yellow River Forest and continues towards the Mississippi. There were a lot of downed trees when we floated it and I was high AF with flowers in my hair so that may have been part of the allure, but it was serene and peaceful. It would even be worth just creek stomping through the park in little paint.

I believe you mentioned the Wapsi, no? There are some really cool parts especially around Stone City. The river holds a special place in my heart.

Minneapolis winters are too long but the summers are spectacular. Winter solution: monthly trips to California.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT