ADVERTISEMENT

Incoming transfers wish list.

Might not be a bad pick-up, he's only 5'11" but we have plenty of height as is; maybe he has some quickness that can help spread the ball around, get JoBo open. Could provide some leadership as well.

8 guys leaving Pitt. Any of them really quick perimeter players?

Not much to speak of. Jared Wilson-Frame (Senior) and Marcus Carr (Sophomore) are probably the best. Frame had a woeful shooting percentage, and wasn't good on defense. Carr isn't that quick, doesn't shoot the 3 ball well, and didn't play great defense either.

Someone has to transfer our first, guys. I'm excited too but don't forget that

Some players just need a little help

giphy.gif

One thing about adding a guy like Calixte: JB is going to play big minutes regardless of who’s added. That means extended minutes with a backcourt both under 6 feet. That’s why I’ve said a bigger lead guard would be better.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
The fact that Fran is out watching JUCO guys play seems to indicate that he is aware of at least one transfer
Have you read something that he he is out watching JUCO games? Do they play a JUCO tournament this time of year?

If Cook leaves, which it appears he will, that would create an open spot, correct?

Yes, but he may not make up his mind until it's too late to bring anybody in. I think it's up to 10 days prior to the draft to decide.

That's mid June that he can withdraw assuming he declared. Pickings I'd believe would be wafer thin to nothing by then.

Easy to look at a minute of replays and drool, but Calixte only averaged about 3 assists on a 6-26 team, against very marginal competition. Is there a talented, athletic guard from a mid-major who thinks Iowa would be a step up?

Last edited:
Yes, but he may not make up his mind until it's too late to bring anybody in. I think it's up to 10 days prior to the draft to decide.

That's mid June that he can withdraw assuming he declared. Pickings I'd believe would be wafer thin to nothing by then.

So you're saying we have a shot to improve at the guard spot? Lol, I agree, will be tough if that scenario unfolds.

If Cook leaves, which it appears he will, that would create an open spot, correct?
I continue seeing this posted. Cook is going to get an evaluation from the NBA. You can pretty much 100% guarantee their going to tell him he's got a lot to work on. He's NOT an NBA player at this juncture. If he leaves after that he'd have to be out of his mind. :confused:

I continue seeing this posted. Cook is going to get an evaluation from the NBA. You can pretty much 100% guarantee their going to tell him he's got a lot to work on. He's NOT an NBA player at this juncture. If he leaves after that he'd have to be out of his mind. :confused:

No question he will not make the NBA, for sure not next year - likely not ever. The question is does he want to advance his game in Europe or the G-League and get paid for it or come back to IA?

No question he will not make the NBA, for sure not next year - likely not ever. The question is does he want to advance his game in Europe or the G-League and get paid for it or come back to IA?
Is Cook going to improve enough, if he stays at Iowa to make the NBA? Not very likely.

Is he going to improve enough in the G-league or Europe to make the NBA. Again, not very likely.

It's a tough call. If he wants to make a couple years of additional salary, might as well leave now. But, if he actually finishes his degree it might be worth staying.

Reactions: skydog0784
Yup, that is exactly the question. We'll have to see what is more important to him - make some okay money, not great (while he still hets his degree hopefully) or enjoy the the full outstanding , full experience of college for two more years.

I have a feeling he's going to opt for the former but I have absolutely no inside knowledge.

Have you read something that he he is out watching JUCO games? Do they play a JUCO tournament this time of year?
Yeah the JUCO tournaments are going on now. And I’m admittedly not sure it was Fran out watching the games, may have been one of the assistants, but I think the point still stands

Hope you are right, but have you heard Cook say anything about coming back as a remote possibility? Cook is 1 year away from being a pretty legit NBA prospect. Why come back to play on a bad Iowa team? He will get drafted (low round) and get paid to play in the G-League. If his game develops as much in year 2-3 as it did 1-2, he will land on a roster. Cook has an NBA body and athleticism. Jok was a good 3-point shooter with no handles. Big difference I believe, in how they will be evaluated.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Hope you are right, but have you heard Cook say anything about coming back as a remote possibility? Cook is 1 year away from being a pretty legit NBA prospect. Why come back to play on a bad Iowa team? He will get drafted (low round) and get paid to play in the G-League. If his game develops as much in year 2-3 as it did 1-2, he will land on a roster. Cook has an NBA body and athleticism. Jok was a good 3-point shooter with no handles. Big difference I believe, in how they will be evaluated.
Cook is no where near NBA ready IMO. He is a gigantic liability on the defensive end and is limited on the offensive end in relation to the NBA game. If he went about getting rebounds like Reggie Evans he might have a shot..but he needs two more years and then there might be a chance.

Unless Cook can make it as a 1st round pick this year, there is no point. There will be no guaranteed money. He would be much better off waiting a season or two and getting that contract as a 1st rounder. A G-league contract is only good for $75,000 a year.

This discussion about Cook is likely a substory to the season. When your best player thinks he’s already good enough for the NBA and is just showcasing to that end, it doesn’t allow for much team chemistry or learning anything else. If defense is about desire, Cook has to realize that he needs that for the next level. Otherwise, move on.

So if it's "free" and does no harm, to be evaluated by the NBA, you do it and find out where you are lacking. Exactly what Jok did. As far as JUCO's/grad transfers, my guess is Fran and co. are out looking and if you find 1 or 2 that want to come then you let a current player or 2 go at that point.

I wish the best for Tyler, but I'm not sold he has the overall game to make it the NBA. Athletic 6'9" guys are not rare in the NBA, so you need some marketable skills. I would compare his situation much more to Utoff then Jok. Jarrod had a better skill set to translate to the league, and he's still trying to scratch his way onto a roster. I'd be shocked if Cook got drafted in round two, and even then there's no guaranteed $$ or roster spot. Hope he makes a wise decision, and returns to continue to work on his game ,and degree. He'll probably need it down the road.

IMO Cook is a long way from being an NBA player. He essentially has zero offensive skills, other than the dunk, bad handles, and stands/watches too often. Defensively he is inept to just flat lazy, again IMO. But, more than one college player has went Pro before they had the requisite skills. So, who knows what he will do, but he needs a lot of development and a different mindset to be successful in NBA, if ever.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
ADVERTISEMENT