ADVERTISEMENT

India And China Coal Production Surging By 700M Tons Per Year: That's Greater Than All US Coal Output

seminole97

HR Legend
Jun 14, 2005
If you think the world is moving beyond coal, think again. The post-Covid economic rebound and surging electricity demand have resulted in big increases in coal prices and coal demand. Since January, the Newcastle benchmark price for coal has doubled. And over the past few weeks, China and India have announced plans to increase their domestic coal production by a combined total of 700 million tons per year. For perspective, US coal production this year will total about 600 million tons.

The surge in coal demand in China and India – as well as in the U.S., where coal use jumped by 17% last year – demonstrates two things: that the Iron Law of Electricity has not been broken, Second, it shows that it is far easier to talk about cutting emissions than it is to achieve significant cuts.

In April, China announced it will increase coal output by 300 million tons this year. Last month, India said it aims to increase domestic coal production by more than 400 million tons by the end of next year.

Adding the 700 million tons of new coal that China and India will be mining to the amount they are now producing leads to some staggering numbers. By the end of next year, China will be producing about 4.4 billion tons of coal per year and India will be mining about 1.2 billion tons. Add those together and you get 5.6 billion tons of coal, which is more than 9 times the amount of coal that will be mined in the U.S. this year.

...Coal persists because it can be used to produce the gargantuan quantities of electricity the world’s consumers need at prices they can afford. Indeed, coal’s share of global electricity generation has stayed at about 35%, since the mid-1980s.

In India, the push for more coal has led the government to give a "special dispensation" to the Ministry of Coal which allows the agency to relax environmental controls and public consultations so mines can produce more coal. As one media outlet explained, the move came after the government “received a request from the Ministry of Coal ‘stating that there is huge pressure on domestic coal supply in the country and all efforts are being made to meet the demand of coal for all sectors.’”

Of course, the surge in coal is going to hamper efforts to control emissions. Last year, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said there is a “high risk of failure” to reach a new climate accord unless politicians agree to slash their respective countries’ emissions. Guterres’ remarks came just a few days after the United Nations issued a report which found that global greenhouse gas emissions are likely to increase by 16% by 2030 compared to 2010 levels.

If you think the world is moving beyond coal, think again. The post-Covid economic rebound and surging electricity demand have resulted in big increases in coal prices and coal demand. Since January, the Newcastle benchmark price for coal has doubled. And over the past few weeks, China and India have announced plans to increase their domestic coal production by a combined total of 700 million tons per year. For perspective, US coal production this year will total about 600 million tons.

The surge in coal demand in China and India – as well as in the U.S., where coal use jumped by 17% last year – demonstrates two things: that the Iron Law of Electricity has not been broken, Second, it shows that it is far easier to talk about cutting emissions than it is to achieve significant cuts.

In April, China announced it will increase coal output by 300 million tons this year. Last month, India said it aims to increase domestic coal production by more than 400 million tons by the end of next year.

Adding the 700 million tons of new coal that China and India will be mining to the amount they are now producing leads to some staggering numbers. By the end of next year, China will be producing about 4.4 billion tons of coal per year and India will be mining about 1.2 billion tons. Add those together and you get 5.6 billion tons of coal, which is more than 9 times the amount of coal that will be mined in the U.S. this year.

...Coal persists because it can be used to produce the gargantuan quantities of electricity the world’s consumers need at prices they can afford. Indeed, coal’s share of global electricity generation has stayed at about 35%, since the mid-1980s.

In India, the push for more coal has led the government to give a "special dispensation" to the Ministry of Coal which allows the agency to relax environmental controls and public consultations so mines can produce more coal. As one media outlet explained, the move came after the government “received a request from the Ministry of Coal ‘stating that there is huge pressure on domestic coal supply in the country and all efforts are being made to meet the demand of coal for all sectors.’”

Of course, the surge in coal is going to hamper efforts to control emissions. Last year, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said there is a “high risk of failure” to reach a new climate accord unless politicians agree to slash their respective countries’ emissions. Guterres’ remarks came just a few days after the United Nations issued a report which found that global greenhouse gas emissions are likely to increase by 16% by 2030 compared to 2010 levels.
China & India telling all the "greenies" of the world to suck the emissions from their bloated bungholes.

While the U.S. and the EU destroy their economies trying to 'save Mother Earth', China & India are happy raping her by generating more emissions than the U.S. ever produced. Tell me, who's the dummies now? Let's go Brandon.

Immediate solution - send AOC to China and Greta Thunberg to India to plea for them to change their ways. Make sure CNN, NPR and other MSM lib water carriers film them getting arrested, beaten and incarcerated.

Last edited:
If Biden has his way, all Americans will have electric cars, but we wont have enough electricity to power them all.

We will have to run gas generators or coal power plants to produce enough electricity to power the cars.

Its a messed up world we live in. We care more about the optics rather than the end results.
Adding more nuclear power solves this issue.

Adding more nuclear power solves this issue.
I am not against nuclear power, but I do not trust the people running the power plants to not put all of us in danger. See 3 mile island and how much stuff was covered up when there was a leak.

When nuclear power is a for profit business, then shortcuts will be made at the expense of the people and the environment. Similar to "green" energy. I am all for green energy, but it has become a political power move for biden and he is now willing to screw us all so that he can force electric cars and "green" energy on us.

I use " " around the word green because when the goal is to push an agenda instead of create truly green energy, then we will get a product that will be worse for us and the environment than what gas has been.

Reactions: goldmom
Anti nuclear folks reference Chernobyl and 3 Mile Island (or rarely Love Canal) but those are in the ever dimmer past.
I still have faith that the technology will continue to evolve that enables us to move forward to renewables but truthfully we cannot abandon fossil or nuclear just yet.
California brownouts will be more commonplace not just there but in other places. Not acceptable.

If Biden has his way, all Americans will have electric cars, but we wont have enough electricity to power them all.

We will have to run gas generators or coal power plants to produce enough electricity to power the cars.

Its a messed up world we live in. We care more about the optics rather than the end results.

Electric Cars Are Cleaner Even When Powered by Coal​

• Emissions from EVs 40% lower than gasoline cars, BNEF says
  • Researcher expects difference to grow as clean energy expands

Electric cars are better for the environment than traditional gasoline models, and that benefit will grow as power generators shift away from coal.

That’s the conclusion of research by BloombergNEF, which found carbon dioxide emissions from battery-powered vehicles were about 40 percent lower than for internal combustion engines last year. The difference was biggest in Britain and the U.K., which have large renewables industries. It still held in China, which is more reliant on coal to make electricity.

The report adds clarity to the debate about the lifetime emissions of electric vehicles, which while they don’t pollute on the road do consume electricity that is often generated using fossil fuels. BNEF’s research assumes that electric cars will become cleaner in the coming years as utilities close coal plants and draw more energy from wind and solar farms, a process well underway almost everywhere except Southeast Asia.

“When an internal combustion vehicle rolls off the line its emissions per km are set, but for an EV they keep falling every year as the grid gets cleaner,” Colin McKerracher, a transport analyst at BNEF said.”

1080x-1.jpg

1080x-1.jpg

And the power grid will crash, chaos and gun violence will surge, but it's Trump & Putin's fault.

Reactions: Hawk_82
I am not against nuclear power, but I do not trust the people running the power plants to not put all of us in danger. See 3 mile island and how much stuff was covered up when there was a leak.

When nuclear power is a for profit business, then shortcuts will be made at the expense of the people and the environment. Similar to "green" energy. I am all for green energy, but it has become a political power move for biden and he is now willing to screw us all so that he can force electric cars and "green" energy on us.

I use " " around the word green because when the goal is to push an agenda instead of create truly green energy, then we will get a product that will be worse for us and the environment than what gas has been.

Then there is this:

We agree. Unfortunately, there is massive resistance to nuclear, and pols in both parties refuse to actually lead on this topic. For this reason, nuclear is not a viable solution.
The French have shown us all how nuclear can be done safely, but it doesn't fit the narrative.

Reactions: dandh
Why do I have to look to specific people for leadership and for opinions? Am I not allowed to consume a variety?
Strawman. No one suggested you can’t look to a variety of people, I simply asked:

Where do you look for leadership?
Whose opinion do you care about?

Strawman. No one suggested you can’t look to a variety of people, I simply asked:

Where do you look for leadership?
Whose opinion do you care about?

I'm still in the process of elimination and Elon Musk was eliminated when he surpassed my post count.

We agree. Unfortunately, there is massive resistance to nuclear, and pols in both parties refuse to actually lead on this topic. For this reason, nuclear is not a viable solution.
Well, there is resistance, but it is the only solution. I think you could get enough support for it if it were properly marketed to the public as the only viable solution to fossil fuel power and the only viable method to curb greenhouse emissions from power production while still providing enough electricity for everyone. But it's not easy, that's for sure.

There is not enough copper or nickel in the world being mined to make enough electric cars. 10X more needed per can than for ICE vehicles. Globalization is over, the dream of an all electric future for cars is not going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT