ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana message board.

Easy, many players shoot off the glass from an angle on jumpers. My point is if it's luck, then every shot that goes in except a swish is luck?
People get the roll all the time, they have a name for it. It's called touch.
Anyway, I get what you are saying. His shot was no different than a floater that rolls around the rim and goes in. No one calls that luck if it's a game winner. What's the difference?
I get what you are saying as well. I bet if you asked Jordan he would have preferred to swish the shot. It went in, we won so it doesn't matter anyway. The NW State shot that beat us in the 06 tourney was a swish and I consider that shot pretty lucky.

Reactions: AlvySinger
Most shots outside 10 feet that hit the back board and goes in is luck. Taught to aim for the front of the rim, not the backboard.

The JBo shot was luck. But that just drowns out the key point, which is that rallied to get to the point where that shot was meaningful. Murray's three pointers and Perkins' And-One were the true highlights of the game. There were plenty of times when they could have just folded, but not going to happen with this team.

Easy, many players shoot off the glass from an angle on jumpers. My point is if it's luck, then every shot that goes in except a swish is luck?
Anyway, I get what you are saying. His shot was no different than a floater that rolls around the rim and goes in. No one calls that luck if it's a game winner. What's the difference?

The difference is that one is a few inches off, while the other is so far off it is going to miss the rim entirely.

What was LUCKY... Indiana holding Perkins and Keegan on the inbounds, when we were up 2... And refs swallowed their damn whistles.

Leading to a steal and a layup.

JBo game winner..... BALL DON'T LIE
Refs don't call fouls with seconds left in the game. You know that.

• Haha
The difference is that one is a few inches off, while the other is so far off it is going to miss the rim entirely.
That's why they have a square on the backboard. Ever wonder what that's for Art?
It's for bank shots. You know , like a target.
Like if you hit the square your shot will go in.

That's why they have a square on the backboard. Ever wonder what that's for Art?

Yes. But if you aren’t trying to use it, if your aim is the center of the hoop but it hits the middle of the backboard, that is an errant shot, and it’s lucky if it goes in.

I’ve had a ton of those in my life, and I recognized the luck every time. Or is it your contention that he was trying to bank it in?

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Yes. But if you aren’t trying to use it, if your aim is the center of the hoop but it hits the middle of the backboard, that is an errant shot, and it’s lucky if it goes in.

I’ve had a ton of those in my life, and I recognized the luck every time. Or is it your contention that he was trying to bank it in?
Man I understand, i just I don't get the difference between a basket hitting the front of the rim and going off the glass verses a bank that goes in. The difference is whether it's a game winner in my opinion. Had that shot been short and hit the rim, kissed the glass and went in it wouldn't be called luck.

Man I understand, i just I don't get the difference between a basket hitting the front of the rim and going off the glass verses a bank that goes in. The difference is whether it's a game winner in my opinion. Had that shot been short and hit the rim, kissed the glass and went in it wouldn't be called luck.

It’s not complicated. The further away the ball’s path is from where you are aiming, the luckier you are that it goes in.

Reactions: onionman1
I'm just not buying it, guy is clutch, all time Big leader in threes. Luck because of the bank? What if it dinged the rim, rolled around and went in. Would that be considered luck too?
The backboard is there for a reason, to bank off of. Layups, 4-8 foot banks from an angle, etc.
I'm sure he would have preferred a swish but people do runners all the time that hit the rim and go off the glass. It's part of the game.
Jmo
He wasn't trying to bank it in. Essentially the shot was so far off long that it banked in.

A ball that hits the front of the rim and goes in is only off by a few inches from a swish. A ball that hits the top of the square and bounces in is a couple feet long.

It was lucky shot because it was way off and still went.

I actually think he meant to bank it since it was a hail mary of an attempt. Odds of it going in off the back board are much better than hoping for a swish.

I would say a bank is a better shot than one that hits the front of the rim bounces up and goes in.

You create your own luck. Jordan and Iowa put themselves in position to win by battling while down late and making some huge buckets on previous possessions
Exactly. As usual some context is important. IF we hadn't manned up the last 4 minutes to reclaim the lead before Perkins turnover crossing midcourt, the last second heroics would mean nothing. As for anyone claiming that Indiana's bigs didn't play wack-a-mole on Iowa's backs on rebounds ALL game, WOW!

Less than probably 3 percent of 3 pointers made are banked in I'm guessing. Why don't shooters use the bank on long shots and free throws? It was a lucky shot. Keegan and Jbo other 3's were skill and clutch.
Some luck, sure, but it took A LOT of skill for him to even get that shot off and to have it lined up at all from that distance while trying to evade the defender....

The JBo shot was luck. But that just drowns out the key point, which is that rallied to get to the point where that shot was meaningful. Murray's three pointers and Perkins' And-One were the true highlights of the game. There were plenty of times when they could have just folded, but not going to happen with this team.
This exactly......

Jbo hitting that isn't luck. That is who he is and he has done shit like that his entire career. If Rebecca or Connor had hit that it would have been lottery for a billion dollars luck. Jbo hitting it is the reason we ran a play for him to take the shot

Jbo hitting that isn't luck. That is who he is and he has done shit like that his entire career. If Rebecca or Connor had hit that it would have been lottery for a billion dollars luck. Jbo hitting it is the reason we ran a play for him to take the shot
Agree, but I don't think that was designed at all from Frans comments after the game. I think they were trying to run something for Keegan, and it wasn't there so they basically went into scramble mode.

I actually think he meant to bank it since it was a hail mary of an attempt. Odds of it going in off the back board are much better than hoping for a swish.
He said in the postgame interview he was glad the bank was open, it was a lucky shot, but who cares because we WON!

Agree, but I don't think that was designed at all from Frans comments after the game. I think they were trying to run something for Keegan, and it wasn't there so they basically went into scramble mode.
Yeah, Fran said they were looking for the shot to come from the corner and Indiana had the bottled up.
Turned into get it up anywhere you can mode.

It was a bank in my opinion due to JBo making sure he got the shot off over the Indiana defender that closed out on him attempting to block his shot. Bank is open and ready for business!! Go Hawks.

Feels good to be the ones on this side of the fence and Indiana using this gif about Iowa….

animal-house-dean-wormer.gif

Reactions: Randall Stanhope
Lucky shot? Probably. There are multiple lucky shots in every game, this one happened to occur at the end. It still counts. And it’s about time Iowa is the beneficiary of one, instead of the victim.

I'm in the it took skill to get it there and some luck to actually go in camp.

The universe has a way of evening out.

I am sure Indiana fans will remember this shot the way Iowa fans recall this one in the BTT

CHICAGO (AP) -- Alando Tucker knew there was no time to waste.

He caught the inbounds pass and took off up the court dribbling
as fast as he could before letting fly with a 3-pointer from the
right side of the arc.

As the ball banked through the basket at the buzzer, Wisconsin (No. 22 ESPN/USA Today, No. 23 AP) had a stunning 59-56 win over Iowa in the Big Ten semifinals Saturday, sending the Badgers to the floor in celebration.

Rarely do I go to another board, but decided to lurk a little.
Iowa is the luckiest team on the planet with Jbo's three to win the game, refs screwed us, blah blah.
Seems they forgot the game was tied when he hit it. They are acting like they were up by 2 and would have won had he not hit the shot. Worst case for us it would have went to OT which would have favored us due to momentum.
Their tears are delicious. Lol
Some posters did remind them that this isn't Jbo's first rodeo. Lol
Is it still called the PEEGS board? Those clowns are delusional much like the Nebbie Football board... ;)

Funny thinking Iowa was lucky to win. Was less than a 5 pt game most of the day. They got to 9 and we erased that right away or do Hoosier fans forget we were up 4 under a min? If they’d lost on a call like Iowa did @rutgers with a BS or even a questionable foul call I get that. But best chance was OT with Iowa dominating last 5 min of regulation.

as for officials tough for them to complain. Fouls basically even. TDJ and Thompson could’ve been called for several over the backs but officials were letting them play down low so IU with a short bench had benefit of playing those 2 almost all game.

I'm in the it took skill to get it there and some luck to actually go in camp.

The universe has a way of evening out.

I am sure Indiana fans will remember this shot the way Iowa fans recall this one in the BTT

This game I thought of too shortly after yesterdays ending. Funny enough Iowa came into that BTT tourney on the bubble like IU but won 2 games and a big one vs 2 seed msu day before basically guaranteeing tourney spot.

If I hit the shot to end the game, it would be luck. With Bohannon, who has probably shot a hundred thousand threes in his life, I think it's luck mixed with skill. Without his propensity for throwing up shots from that distance and learning how to hit them, he had the stones to get a shot off because it was going to overtime if he didn't take it. It was certainly lucky that it went in, but way less lucky than if the other poster (who insists it was pure luck) took the shot. Bohannon, like him or not, has taken shots with the clock winding down (shot clock and game clock) and making a lot of them. He can get off quick shots out of nowhere and they aren't ridiculous chucks at the basket. He doesn't always make them, but it's not that surprising when he does.

ADVERTISEMENT