ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana player gets hit hard with Covid

So he got really sick, is it similar to a season ending spine injury. These kids deal with real life consequences everyday. COVID is scary but its far less impactful than a single football practice to most of these kids.

I get your point, but I respectfully disagree. One is due to a global pandemic. One is an injury due to a game.

Not to mention one can be spread to people they care about and one can't.

Not to be a prick, but by this standard why is anyone going outside our homes ever? The IFR for those under 70 years of age is likely under 0.3% and perhaps much lower than that. I get that there is a risk inherent in any activity, but what I have a hard time understanding is how this virus means that we can't go outside our homes or interact with people. Or why schools can't be open or play sports. In Missouri, 1 person under age of 20 has died. In Iowa, the state doesn't track deaths under the age of 18. In the 18-40 age category, 17 deaths. 89% of deaths in Iowa in those 61 years of age or older.

Not to be a prick, but by this standard why is anyone going outside our homes ever? The IFR for those under 70 years of age is likely under 0.3% and perhaps much lower than that. I get that there is a risk inherent in any activity, but what I have a hard time understanding is how this virus means that we can't go outside our homes or interact with people. Or why schools can't be open or play sports. In Missouri, 1 person under age of 20 has died. In Iowa, the state doesn't track deaths under the age of 18. In the 18-40 age category, 17 deaths. 89% of deaths in Iowa in those 61 years of age or older.

Logic is not allowed in this debate.

then don’t visit your grandparents and be careful in public. These kids can be fed at the facility and be careful in dorms if they really want to play
You really think they're going to isolate themselves from the millions and millions of other college students? I highly doubt it.

Kids can learn at home period. I never said you shouldn't go outside. there's no need for them to be stuck in rooms inside with bunch of kids everyday passing germs around. And you can disagree that's fine I'm not going to keep debating it because it's pointless You think what you want I'll think what I want

You really think they're going to isolate themselves from the millions and millions of other college students? I highly doubt it.

If the cost is losing a season I think following the rules will be put at a premium, and each team can have one outbreak with how the schedules are set up, and honestly maybe two if they want to play the season into late November or December.

I’m saying if the kids all opt in and are aware of the consequences, and want to put NFL tape out there, a virus with a survival rate that of 34,999/35000 for people under 55 you’re going to see a lot of people continue to play.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Kids can learn at home period. I never said you shouldn't go outside. there's no need for them to be stuck in rooms inside with bunch of kids everyday passing germs around. And you can disagree that's fine I'm not going to keep debating it because it's pointless You think what you want I'll think what I want

By kids, do you mean college kids? I suppose so. Those under 12 years old? Very unlikely not. If that were the case, why have we had schools at all for all these years?
But the implications of what you are advocating has severe consequences. In a state of 6+ million people where I live (Missouri) a grand total of 1 person under age 20 has died. One. A total of 35 people under age 35 have died. Each one a tragedy. Iowa breaks it down in different age categories, but in Iowa total deaths of those under 60 years of age would be under 100. I would guess most of those are in the 50-60 age category.

This story in the NY Times (yes that far-right publication) estimates that deaths from tuberculosis and HIV will add 1.4 million deaths from TB and 500,000 deaths worldwide from HIV due to quarantining for COVID-19. Forcing healthy people to quarantine has never been a good public health policy, and it's fairly evident that it's not good policy in this case either.

My kids are going back to college soon and I'm 100% in favor of it. They are at far fewer risk of dying from COVID in an environment around other college kids than they are in driving to college and back and forth over breaks. That's not debatable, that's based on data. People can disagree on what the public response should be, but the data says that healthy young people should not be ordered home for online learning.

By kids, do you mean college kids? I suppose so. Those under 12 years old? Very unlikely not. If that were the case, why have we had schools at all for all these years?
But the implications of what you are advocating has severe consequences. In a state of 6+ million people where I live (Missouri) a grand total of 1 person under age 20 has died. One. A total of 35 people under age 35 have died. Each one a tragedy. Iowa breaks it down in different age categories, but in Iowa total deaths of those under 60 years of age would be under 100. I would guess most of those are in the 50-60 age category.

This story in the NY Times (yes that far-right publication) estimates that deaths from tuberculosis and HIV will add 1.4 million deaths from TB and 500,000 deaths worldwide from HIV due to quarantining for COVID-19. Forcing healthy people to quarantine has never been a good public health policy, and it's fairly evident that it's not good policy in this case either.

My kids are going back to college soon and I'm 100% in favor of it. They are at far fewer risk of dying from COVID in an environment around other college kids than they are in driving to college and back and forth over breaks. That's not debatable, that's based on data. People can disagree on what the public response should be, but the data says that healthy young people should not be ordered home for online learning.

Lol, why are TB and HIV even in the discussion about a US college football player. News flash, like 500 people total die from TB in the US a year..... nearly doubled have died from covid in the state of Iowa alone.

If we are being honest all you want is life back to normal, and dont care whose lives it affects along the way. Just admit it is about you and move on. All you want is football and could care less about the actual players underneath the jerseys.

So he got really sick, is it similar to a season ending spine injury. These kids deal with real life consequences everyday. COVID is scary but its far less impactful than a single football practice to most of these kids.

I don't think you get it

People that say tough it out to a post about a kid with heart issues brought on or made visible by a virus that is almost 20 times more deadly than the flu.
Where the F did you get a number like that? It's not even TWICE as bad right now.

Lol, why are TB and HIV even in the discussion about a US college football player. News flash, like 500 people total die from TB in the US a year..... nearly doubled have died from covid in the state of Iowa alone.

If we are being honest all you want is life back to normal, and dont care whose lives it affects along the way. Just admit it is about you and move on. All you want is football and could care less about the actual players underneath the jerseys.

You make a whole list of assumptions about me that have no basis in fact. How do you know what I want or don't want, or care about who is impacted. Yes, I am so uncaring that I haven't seen my aging parents in person in over 7 months because I don't take things seriously. Or my other aging relatives, and each month that goes by where I don't see them increases the likelihood I'll never get to see them in person again. But yes, I just want people to die.

I brought it up because the decision to close schools has far-reaching ramifications beyond just going to virtual learning. It doesn't happen in a vacuum. Redfield, the CDC director, says they are seeing more deaths now to suicides and overdoses than from COVID. Yeah, pardon me if I want my kids to be able to get an education and not into total online learning, which depending upon your major is not really doable. How do you have science labs virtually? You can't.

No one addresses the facts I shared that college-age kids (statistically speaking) are at almost zero risk to the virus. I didn't say no risk. But at near-zero risk, there are a whole host of other things that they are far more at risk of dying from than COVID. But if we try to have that conversation, I'm not taking the virus seriously or I want people to die or something.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
You make a whole list of assumptions about me that have no basis in fact. How do you know what I want or don't want, or care about who is impacted. Yes, I am so uncaring that I haven't seen my aging parents in person in over 7 months because I don't take things seriously. Or my other aging relatives, and each month that goes by where I don't see them increases the likelihood I'll never get to see them in person again. But yes, I just want people to die.

I brought it up because the decision to close schools has far-reaching ramifications beyond just going to virtual learning. It doesn't happen in a vacuum. Redfield, the CDC director, says they are seeing more deaths now to suicides and overdoses than from COVID. Yeah, pardon me if I want my kids to be able to get an education and not into total online learning, which depending upon your major is not really doable. How do you have science labs virtually? You can't.

No one addresses the facts I shared that college-age kids (statistically speaking) are at almost zero risk to the virus. I didn't say no risk. But at near-zero risk, there are a whole host of other things that they are far more at risk of dying from than COVID. But if we try to have that conversation, I'm not taking the virus seriously or I want people to die or something.

Again, Death is the ultimate side effect but not the only damaging side effect and we don't know if those side effects are life long yet. Talking about this just in terms of death is really ignoring a ton of information and also ignoring the fact that we are still finding out more info on what the virus is doing and could potentially due to someone's long term health.

I see where you are coming from but to just dismiss the unknown is misguided. It is crazy to me that we have social distanced and taken so many precautions, but we still are seeing this sickness effect people after they have had it. A lot of unknowns to take a ton of risks with young lives IMO.

Again, Death is the ultimate side effect but not the only damaging side effect and we don't know if those side effects are life long yet. Talking about this just in terms of death is really ignoring a ton of information and also ignoring the fact that we are still finding out more info on what the virus is doing and could potentially due to someone's long term health.
My 77 year old parents and 51 year old sister drove from CR to Indy almost two months ago for a visit. Mom and sis shopped, my father and I ran some errands we then all went to dinner with former woman and her 16 year old daughter.

No one has had any issues since then.

My 77 year old parents and 51 year old sister drove from CR to Indy almost two months ago for a visit. Mom and sis shopped, my father and I ran some errands we then all went to dinner with former woman and her 16 year old daughter.

No one has had any issues since then.

Congrats to your family. But how do you know no one was asymptomatic and did not give it to anyone else? You don't.

Congrats to your family. But how do you know no one was asymptomatic and did not give it to anyone else? You don't.

Been two months, no one any of us know have/had it.

I'll say I do know.

Get under the bed with the other dude and wait it out.

Been two months, no one any of us know have/had it.

I'll say I do know.

Get under the bed with the other dude and wait it out.

I am fine with wearing a mask and going places and going back to work, as I teach, but I know Americans like yourself are not smart enough to take proper precautions and will eventually get others sick. If you all would be smart and wear a mask to limit transmition, social distance, etc then we would be good, but in America we are all about it being our idea, and if it is not our idea then F everyone else. Selfish stuff right there.

We know the sun does damage and causes cancer, yet we frolic in it. most without sunscreen.

I am fine with wearing a mask and going places and going back to work, as I teach, but I know Americans like yourself are not smart enough to take proper precautions and will eventually get others sick. If you all would be smart and wear a mask to limit transmition, social distance, etc then we would be good, but in America we are all about it being our idea, and if it is not our idea then F everyone else. Selfish stuff right there.

You know I don't wear a mask if I go out?

Explain the logic of wearing a mask in any bar/restaurant and taking it off once seated.

There is no logic there, if it's so bad shut down the world.

Back under your bed. We'll let you know when things are safe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT