ADVERTISEMENT

Inflation Comes in at 8.6%

Biden needs to sit back and allow for natural market forces to move buyers to EV vehicles. That will happen albeit at a slower pace than many desire.

Especially if Tesla’s are recalled which is possible,

Where were you in the January 6th thread? Post when the next migrant caravan is about to invade.
The media clown show last night that isn't even designed to present charges but simply illicit feelings?

I thought that thing was going to be about charges they were going to file, not a rehash of video we have all seen.

Last edited:
The Fed needs an emergency rate hike to 5% then monthly quarter point raises until they reach 8% to stop this sort of inflation and increase savings with which to fuel the eventual recovery. We have been through worse before and we can do it again.
How many mortgages would then be under water, leading to a housing collapse.

Interest rates are a 2-edged sword. It will be a difficult balancing act.

On the upside, it would allow the bond and savings/money market account rates to rise, so seniors can get their money out of the market and safely onto the sideline.

The media clown show last night that isn't even designed to present charges but simply illicit feelings?

I thought that thing was going to be about charges they were going to file, not a rehash of video we have all seen.
It was a lib outrage, made for TV, circle jerk event. Rehashing Trump to keep our eyes and minds off the shit-show currently going on.

How about being honest with the American people? When you say fighting inflation is your number one priority, but you are pushing for initiatives like student loan debt forgiveness and Build Back Better. Manchin shut that down, not because he didn’t like a lot of it, but because of inflation. He could see all this coming last fall. We need someone like him running the country. Not the current or previous guy.
Bullshit. Manchin shut it down because of coal. Period.

• Haha
Reactions: 86Hawkeye
Derp.
The lower 90% fall deeper into debt trying just to consume at the rate they had, while the top 10% see their assets rise and the inflation hastens the wealth disparity.
Inflation is a society wrecking policy.

total%20consumer%20credit_0.jpg
Ugh. Yes, inflation impacts lower incomes more than higher incomes. But it's the higher incomes still buying shit at high prices that keeps them high for everyone.

• Haha
Reactions: 86Hawkeye
White House talking head on CNN right now.

Anchor: You guys predicted inflation go down. It went up. Why do you keep getting it wrong?

WH: We are using outside predictors. And…Well…it’s hard to do.

Gee…how convenient you always miss on the low side. Lol

Ugh. Yes, inflation impacts lower incomes more than higher incomes. But it's the higher incomes still buying shit at high prices that keeps them high for everyone.
It’s not that it impacts one group more than another, it impacts them differently.
The poor and middle class see the cost of living and their debt increase, the richest see their assets appreciate.
Deficit spending under our fiat monetary system is regressive taxation with a ‘bonus’ of wealth transfer to the rich.
It’s horrible policy.

On the upside, it would allow the bond and savings/money market account rates to rise, so seniors can get their money out of the market and safely onto the sideline.
Yes, I'm sure some have varible rate mortages and that would hurt them. But it is a minority and this inflation thing is much bigger than the near term housing market. The Fed needs to dry up the demand for money and move liquidity to the sidelines. Once inflation is back under control, and it will be at some point, then lower rates will force money back to work.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
It’s not that it impacts one group more than another, it impacts them differently.
The poor and middle class see the cost of living and their debt increase, the richest see their assets appreciate.
Deficit spending under our fiat monetary system is regressive taxation with a ‘bonus’ of wealth transfer to the rich.
It’s horrible policy.
Yes, yes, we know. The "gold standard" is what this country needs. :rolleyes:

Given that we attend gong back to the find standard or any other antiquated economic philosophy, what are your sure fire measures to Whip Inflation Now?

Not that I expect an answer.

Given that we attend gong back to the find standard or any other antiquated economic philosophy, what are your sure fire measures to Whip Inflation Now?

Remember that time you tried to say inflation was good for the labor market?

Pepperidge farms remembers...

Reactions: dandh and 86Hawkeye

This, News media was saying we would see new things presented. Nothing in the first hr was nothing I did not already know. Turned it off.

Central bank research confirms they drive wealth inequality. Which I guess is your preference.
In the recently published Global Wealth Report by Credit Suisse, the authors provide ample evidence that the action of central banks globally has been to create a massive wealth boom for the rich, primarily because the stimulus has gone into asset prices such as stocks, bonds and homes.
Forbes

See post #6, since you ignored what I predicted would happen when Pelosi-Schumer-Trump worked together to eliminate the debt ceiling.

• Haha
Reactions: dandh and RileyHawk
Central bank research confirms they drive wealth inequality. Which I guess is your preference.
In the recently published Global Wealth Report by Credit Suisse, the authors provide ample evidence that the action of central banks globally has been to create a massive wealth boom for the rich, primarily because the stimulus has gone into asset prices such as stocks, bonds and homes.
Forbes

See post #6, since you ignored what I predicted would happen when Pelosi-Schumer-Trump worked together to eliminate the debt ceiling.
Like I said, I didn't expect an answer.

Predictable.

Never said that or anything close but that's a hell of a.false narrative.
So do you think inflation at moderate level is good for the economy or not?

My apologies, I thought I was replying to seminole's drivel originally. Still, your post suggests you share his foolish thoughts.

So do you think inflation at moderate level is good for the economy or not?

My apologies, I thought I was replying to seminole's drivel originally. Still, your post suggests you share his foolish thoughts.
Inflation at a small level as a reflection of raising wages is one sign of a healthy economy. 6-7-8% isn't.

Inflation at a small level as a reflection of raising wages is one sign of a healthy economy. 6-7-8% isn't.
What do you know, we agree. And that's what I've consistently maintained.

Seminole, on the other hand, believes any inflation is bad. And he wants the gold standard back. SMFH

The 2's and 10's are both rallying this morning...this will get the attention of higher earners and even some of the genrational wealth crowd. As things continue to progress in this manner saving will once more become en vougue for all but the most flagrant of the silly set.

I have. As usual, it's not an answer.

Twist and shout....
You think that because you don’t understand what causes inflation.
After all, you fell for MMT.

Forbes
In recent years, politicians on the far left have leaned on Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) to justify offering increasingly exorbitant spending proposals without plans to pay for them. Then roughly $6 trillion in deficit-financed stimulus approved by Congress in 2020 and 2021 provided policymakers a natural experiment to evaluate the claims proponents of MMT made. The results exposed the critical flaws in their approach, and rather than being able to take a victory lap, MMT is now on its last legs.

• Haha
Reactions: dandh and RileyHawk
First, drastically cut federal spending. We are headed towards a recession of unknown depth, on top of inflation. The Fed is in a very precarious postion and needs help on the fiscal side. It's a mess.

Another idea, cut payroll taxes and replace with a sales tax. This would reduce consumption and reward work. We need more people working.

Even though the employment rate is low, it's deceptive. The actual number of people employed has yet to reach pre-pandemic levels.

Not looking for political pot shots here, but what can be done policy wise to correct this? Besides the Fed raising interest rates to 15% or whatever like they did in the 70's and bring the economy to a screeching halt.
The Fed is raising rates and it will guarantee a deeper recession. I say just let the supply chain issues iron themselves out over time and live with the inflation. It’s not an excess demand problem, but a supply problem.

Reactions: BioHawk
Declaring war on your domestic energy industry will sort of cause that😉.

The phrase had kept popping up here and I was like alright a lot of these folks think that Biden is actually Trump in a Biden mask so energy independence is plausible in that world. Then it was explained to me and it just kinda hurt because I see the surface level logic to it and the only way around it is to start something like "two score and ten years ago... American influence on expanded economic globalization... and now we live in a world with a combination of industrializing and deindustrializing regions whose economies all depend on energy including fossil fuels which are globally traded commodities meaning no participants in this market can be thought of as energy independent."

First, drastically cut federal spending. We are headed towards a recession of unknown depth, on top of inflation. The Fed is in a very precarious postion and needs help on the fiscal side. It's a mess.

Another idea, cut payroll taxes and replace with a sales tax. This would reduce consumption and reward work. We need more people working.

Even though the employment rate is low, it's deceptive. The actual number of people employed has yet to reach pre-pandemic levels.
So - where are you going to get all those workers? Lots of people have opted not to work any more and they are not coming back.

Sales tax on luxury items, sure. Reducing the payroll tax is just a right wing form of stimulus which is not needed. Those with means are still buying at high levels and we still have supply issues - that's going to result in higher prices. They will stabilize when supplies start to accumulate - we're already seeing that at some retailers.

The phrase had kept popping up here and I was like alright a lot of these folks think that Biden is actually Trump in a Biden mask so energy independence is plausible in that world. Then it was explained to me and it just kinda hurt because I see the surface level logic to it and the only way around it is to start something like "two score and ten years ago... American influence on expanded economic globalization... and now we live in a world with a combination of industrializing and deindustrializing regions whose economies all depend on energy including fossil fuels which are globally traded commodities meaning no participants in this market can be thought of as energy independent."

renewable-energy-AOC.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: INXS83
The Fed needs an emergency rate hike to 5% then monthly quarter point raises until they reach 8% to stop this sort of inflation and increase savings with which to fuel the eventual recovery. We have been through worse before and we can do it again.
It's a fiscal problem more than a monetary problem.

Did you consider the fact that poor people may have to use credit cards and other borrowing to survive higher food and energy prices?

It's a fiscal problem more than a monetary problem.

Did you consider the fact that poor people may have to use credit cards and other borrowing to survive higher food and energy prices?
Yes, I did consider that and I concluded that stopping this bout of inflation sooner, rather than a larger inflation problem later, would be in the best interest for all of us, including the poor.

I think this latest inflation number is going to push them in that direction....they've been pretty reluctant.

I think this latest inflation number is going to push them in that direction....they've been pretty reluctant.
I think Biden should beat the Fed to the punch and show a little governance. I think he is going to lose his butt in November, so bite a few bullets and do some things worthwhile to take money out of circulation. Why wait and reac

Break the campaign promise on student loan forgiveness, start up payments again but allow for restructuring under federal loans. I don’t think this will hurt Biden as bad as HW Bush’s “Read my lips, no new taxes.” Students tend to be apart of the
Democratic base and won’t abandon him.

Increase limits on 401k, IRAs, and Roth IRAs. Upper Middle class should be able to afford additional contributions if you give them a reason. To balance that out, take away the cap on the Social Security Tax. Social security and limit SS to lower classes.

Yes, I'm sure some have varible rate mortages and that would hurt them. But it is a minority and this inflation thing is much bigger than the near term housing market. The Fed needs to dry up the demand for money and move liquidity to the sidelines. Once inflation is back under control, and it will be at some point, then lower rates will force money back to work.
Do you think Powell or his master, Biden are willing to take the steps you outlined in a timely manner?

This senior let stop losses get me out of the market.
Just holding cash waiting for some buying opp’s.
Hate to see what my cap gains taxes are.

Especially if Tesla’s are recalled which is possible,
That's a hit job on Telsa. It's regarding 191 cases and not some mass hysteria regarding Tesla deaths. If you look at Teslas driven on autopilot, they have far few accidents per mile driven while on autopilot versus conventional driving. Mine saved me from getting sideswiped by a semitruck when it crossed over 2 feet into my lane. It's the safest care I've ever ridden in.

BTW, the recall is just a change in the computer over wifi. No bringing Tesla's to the shop.

Reactions: seminole97
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT