ADVERTISEMENT

Inflation Eating Up Low Wage Workers Gains

West Dundee Hawkeye

HR All-American
Sep 28, 2003

This should be the best of times for low-wage workers, as pandemic-induced labor shortages force employers to sharply raise pay. Yet for many, it doesn’t feel that way, because those same disruptions have pushed inflation to near its highest rate in over a decade.

Troy Sutton, age 61, lost a job as a custodian at the start of the pandemic in 2020 that paid $12 an hour, and he spent more than a year unemployed. This past summer, he landed a job as a custodian at the University of Pennsylvania he said pays $18 or more an hour.

But Mr. Sutton’s water, electricity and cable bills are higher than a year ago, he said. He is shelling out more for veterinary checkups and dog food for his two Chihuahuas, Princess and Precious. At the supermarket near Mr. Sutton’s house in Philadelphia, eggs climbed from about $2 a dozen in 2019 to $3.69 during the pandemic.
He and his wife started shopping more at supermarket chain Aldi this year, where many groceries are cheaper, he said. But the longer drive and higher gas prices have eaten up some of the savings. He has also cut out brand-name cereals, rice, oatmeal, ketchup and mustard.
“I’m making more money. I should be able to see it,” Mr. Sutton said. “But I don’t see it because I’m paying more money for stuff now.”

It's already slowing down as anyone with economic sense predicted, but continue with the wingnut scare tactics:

Not a very good example. If you get a 50% raise, inflation isn't your biggest problem. The lower end of the wage spectrum has made some really good gains. It's the middle income earners that are still getting 2% raises and paying 5% more for everything.
The "middle class" has been getting screwed ever since the middle '80's! "Trickle down" doesn't work....the "tax laws" are skewed to heavily favor the rich.....and corporations. If you wanna talk apples, let's talk apples.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Just wait until all wages are pushed up, and lower and middle earners start getting pushed into higher tax brackets.

Just wait until all wages are pushed up, and lower and middle earners start getting pushed into higher tax brackets.
Tax brackets are inflation protected. Just a lame right wing Republican flame. The bracket creep protection is the product of Chuck Grassley, years ago.
But count on it…. As soon as “inflation” is mentioned, Republicans will start screaming falsehoods. Shame on you Finance.

Tax brackets are inflation protected. Just a lame right wing Republican flame. The bracket creep protection is the product of Chuck Grassley, years ago.
But count on it…. As soon as “inflation” is mentioned, Republicans will start screaming falsehoods. Shame on you Finance.
I'm not GOP, so don't lay the falsehood rap on me.

Any bracket creep at the IRS will lag actual inflation and wage increases, so it's not false. Sorry you can't understand that.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
I'm not GOP, so don't lay the falsehood rap on me.

Any bracket creep at the IRS will lag actual inflation and wage increases, so it's not false. Sorry you can't understand that.
Premium golf balls used to be $15/ dozen for years.....prices go up....people live better today....it all takes money. I DO understand that. Inflation can be a problem........I just haven't seen it to be a problem in my 72 years.

Premium golf balls used to be $15/ dozen for years.....prices go up....people live better today....it all takes money. I DO understand that. Inflation can be a problem........I just haven't seen it to be a problem in my 72 years.
There are a lot of things you seem to have missed. I miss a lot, too.

ADVERTISEMENT