ADVERTISEMENT

Inflation hits three-year low

torbee

HB King
Gold Member
SIAP but didn't see a thread yet today.

Annual US consumer inflation fell to 2.5% in August, a 3-year low​

WASHINGTON (AP) — The post-pandemic spike in U.S. inflation eased further last month as year-over-year price increases reached a three-year low, clearing the way for the Federal Reserve to cut interest rates and likely shaping the economic debate in the final weeks of the presidential race.

Wednesday’s report from the Labor Department showed that consumer prices rose 2.5% in August from a year earlier, down from 2.9% in July. It was the fifth straight annual drop and the smallest since February 2021. From July to August, prices rose just 0.2%.

Excluding volatile food and energy costs, so-called core prices rose 3.2% in August from a year ago, the same as in July. On a month-to-month basis, core prices rose 0.3%, a slight pickup from July’s 0.2% increase. Economists closely watch core prices, which typically provide a better read of future inflation trends.

Advertisement

“Today’s report will add to confidence within the Fed that inflation is indeed on a sustainable path towards 2%,” the Fed’s target level, Carl Weinberg, chief economist at High Frequency Economics, wrote in a note to clients.

Gas futures are very low because of oversupply. Gas prices should be pretty reasonable in the coming weeks.
As of this morning here in Cedar Falls it was $2.89. I could be wrong but I don't think I've seen it below $2.90 in a very long time.

Shhh, I just read this on the Interwebz:

Inflation will be the least of our worries with this commie in the oval office. This country will be unrecognizable in less then a yr. They wanna destroy America folks. They will pack the court, do away with the filibuster, give d.c. and puerto Rico statehood and you'll never have to worry about another republican president, ever. And good God no one is talking about Ted cruz's race in TX. Schumer and his dark money boys are flooding cash into that race like never b4 to beat him. They flip tx folks standby bc that'll be disastrous in itself let alone the presidency. Fortunately they have more candidates up for election thus cycle then the right does so honestly we can maintain control in the house and regain it in the senate. Vote like your life depends on it, bc it does.

Shhh, I just read this on the Interwebz:

Inflation will be the least of our worries with this commie in the oval office. This country will be unrecognizable in less then a yr. They wanna destroy America folks. They will pack the court, do away with the filibuster, give d.c. and puerto Rico statehood and you'll never have to worry about another republican president, ever. And good God no one is talking about Ted cruz's race in TX. Schumer and his dark money boys are flooding cash into that race like never b4 to beat him. They flip tx folks standby bc that'll be disastrous in itself let alone the presidency. Fortunately they have more candidates up for election thus cycle then the right does so honestly we can maintain control in the house and regain it in the senate. Vote like your life depends on it, bc it does.
It used to blow my mind that there are people out there that actually believe this type of shit, constantly living in fear. But for the last 8ish years, they're "normal" in regards to the MAGA group

People who post inflation figures that dismiss food and energy costs are demonstrably ignorant (and that’s being extremely charitable).

Reeks of desperation. 🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT