ADVERTISEMENT

Inflation Is Ending - Can We Do the Election Over?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
If the CPI report had come out last week, I wonder how that would have affected the election.

Rs had been hammering the Ds on inflation when, as it turns out, it's yesterday's news.

I'm not saying that Biden cured inflation. Nor am I saying that inflation hasn't been a real problem. I'm just saying that the Rs won on exaggerated fears that just a few days later, we know were disinformation.

My guess is that if the public had this info last week, the election outcome would have been more favorable to the Dems. Enough to make a difference? Who knows?

• Haha
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
If the CPI report had come out last week, I wonder how that would have affected the election.

Rs had been hammering the Ds on inflation when, as it turns out, it's yesterday's news.

I'm not saying that Biden cured inflation. Nor am I saying that inflation hasn't been a real problem. I'm just saying that the Rs won on exaggerated fears that just a few days later, we know were disinformation.

My guess is that if the public had this info last week, the election outcome would have been more favorable to the Dems. Enough to make a difference? Who knows?
The GOP has no plan to address anything and are largely the cause. Lots of clueless people out there still.

Since inflation is a policy consequence, and Federal debt expanded by $2,458,346,604,969.90 FY20-21, I'm not sure inflation is over.
There will likely be waves of price discovery, demand destruction, and firms going bust in the process ahead.
Trillion dollar deficits as far as the eye can see (the Biden WH's budget estimates are available online), I'm not sure the source of optimism.

great_inflation_2.jpg

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

Let me know when it's 1.9% again like it was in 2019.

Hilarious,.. OP thinks the economy is back on track and ready to rock & roll...
I mean, you guys live in your bubbles. This is still by far the best jobs economy of anyone under the age of 65-70 in the country. At any point in the last 40-45, maybe 50 years it would have been unimaginable to call an economy "bad" where basically anyone can get a good paying job if they want it.

I mean, you guys live in your bubbles. This is still by far the best jobs economy of anyone under the age of 65-70 in the country. At any point in the last 40-45, maybe 50 years it would have been unimaginable to call an economy "bad" where basically anyone can get a good paying job if they want it.
Did you not see the exit polls from Tuesday? Believing the economy is not doing well isn't some right wing bubble narrative.

Did you not see the exit polls from Tuesday? Believing the economy is not doing well isn't some right wing bubble narrative.
If this is your gauge, Tuesday night did not provide results that back up the thesis that this election was a verdict on a bad national economy. This was hardly a 2010 style wave election that was a reaction to an economy that was legitimately bad. Democrats are actually probably favored at this point to pick up a seat in the Senate!

People are just repeating back what they're told by the "liberal" MSM when it comes to the economy, it doesn't necessarily have much or anything to do with their own personal situations.

This economy is as confusing as ever. High inflation, low unemployment, stock market confused. Recession fears but the Fed is raising interest rates to slow the economy.

New car prices are increasing because, why? Because of some POTUS policy? No, because they can't get the parts to finish the cars. So, buyers are paying a premium just to get one.

Used car prices are skyrocketing because, why? Because buyers can't get a new car and are paying a premium to get used cars.

Restaurants are charging more because they can't find enough workers and have to pay more to the ones they do get.

Consumers seem to be buying everything in sight, but the GDP isn't growing.

🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: sober_teacher
Again, if the elections Tuesday are your criteria on this, young people, those most vulnerable when it comes to bad economic conditions, voted heavily for Democrats.

Jobs are only a small element of the economy and it's an element that's trending in the wrong direction...

Again, if the elections Tuesday are your criteria on this, young people, those most vulnerable when it comes to bad economic conditions, voted heavily for Democrats.

People make mistakes...

This economy is as confusing as ever. High inflation, low unemployment, stock market confused. Recession fears but the Fed is raising interest rates to slow the economy.

New car prices are increasing because, why? Because of some POTUS policy? No, because they can get the parts to finish the cars. So, buyers are paying a premium just to get one.

Used car prices are skyrocketing because, why? Because buyers can get a new car and are paying a premium to get used cars.

Restaurants are charging more because they can't find enough workers and have to pay more to the ones they do get.

Consumers seem to be buying everything in sight, but the GDP isn't growing.

🤷‍♀️

That’s inflation for you. And yes, it has everyone confused right now.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
For most financially sound people, they will not feel all that good until their 401k recovers.

i realize most are in the “I needed that $80k SUV and $400,000 house with damn near nothing down on either”.

I noticed gas dropped a dime on Wednesday..coincidence?
Russia announced a withdrawal from the last major city they occupied in Ukraine on Wed...coincidence?
China announced pulling covid restrictions this week..coincidence?
Biden's opponents held off on positive news til after the election...coincidence?

Reactions: TheCainer

Eh?

All people know is that food prices at Hy-Vee are still outrageous. They don't care about this index or that.

R's would have won by a lot more had Trump stayed out of it. Last I checked gas and grocerys are still out of sight.

The high inflation isn’t over haha. Step in the right direction but last time it did this it bounced back up. Let’s give this a couple months of progress or so before we declare the high inflation over lol

As soon as Trump's buddies Putin and Prince el al whatever hear this, they will be sure to turn things south again.

The high inflation isn’t over haha. Step in the right direction but last time it did this it bounced back up. Let’s give this a couple months of progress or so before we declare the high inflation over lol
High prices aren't over - some are coming down but most won't - but high inflation probably is over.

I don't think that was appreciated even in the lib echo chamber before the election - and I'm confident it wasn't in the con echo chamber.

I don't know how many votes the Dems lost because of inflation, but they should have worked harder to recover those votes by simply pointing out the facts.

Sure, high prices (as opposed to high inflation) were going to cost the Dems some votes. But the failure of the Dems to effectively challenge the high inflation meme cost even more.

But it is. The bubble believed inflation was the result of Biden economic policy while totally ignoring the impact Covid 19 had on the world's economy.
Yet the Biden administration told everyone that this inflation was transitory. It wasn't and while COVID has/had an impact, so did a $2 trillion spending folly. Inflation reduction Act? Not hardly.

If inflation slows this month and the Fed doesn't go crazy and raise rates through the roof that will be a good sign that things are truly easing.

Yet the Biden administration told everyone that this inflation was transitory.
Two years ago, when most folks on both sides were attributing price increases to supply chain disruptions from the pandemic - yes way back then - it was widely believed "inflation was transitory."

It's intellectually dishonest of you to trot that out as a valid charge against the Biden administration in late 2022.

Last edited:
For most financially sound people, they will not feel all that good until their 401k recovers.

i realize most are in the “I needed that $80k SUV and $400,000 house with damn near nothing down on either”.

The funny thing is that when I think the market is going to tank I just take out a huge 401k loan and go spend it on something fun. Then I just get to pay myself back at 6% interest and out do the market for my return on my wasteful spending habits.

People answered questions in exit polls that show there is zero confidence in the economy and people are struggling with prices and inflation. They then decided that voting against Trump(I don't blame them) was a bigger deal than the current state of the economy. If economic despair wasn't on the minds of many, the Dems would have held onto the House and gained three or four Senate seats because that is how much of a stain Trump is on Republicans right now.

Reactions: hwk23
OP, don't pick on the Republicans. They have all sorts of problems of their own that they have no solution to right now.

OP, don't pick on the Republicans. They have all sorts of problems of their own that they have no solution to right now.
Both parties stand for one thing. Spend money they don’t have. When the debt apocalypse comes nobody will be able to rub the others Jose in that disaster.

Two years ago, when most folks on both sides were attributing price increases to supply chain disruptions from the pandemic - yes way back then - it was widely believed "inflation was transitory."

You don’t have a very good memory. Biden was claiming “no inflation and if we see it, it will be transitory” well into 2021. He downplayed inflationary risks as he was trying to pass much more exorbitant spending bills than what he was actually able to execute. His budget proposal in June, 2021 forecasted CPI inflation reaching only 2.1% in 2022. He was wrong, by a lot.

Biden could take a dump on the whitehouse steps in front a camera and someone like yourself would come along, pick up his turd and eat it, then try to convince others it was just a Snicker’s bar that fell out of Joe’s pocket.

Yet the Biden administration told everyone that this inflation was transitory. It wasn't and while COVID has/had an impact, so did a $2 trillion spending folly. Inflation reduction Act? Not hardly.

If inflation slows this month and the Fed doesn't go crazy and raise rates through the roof that will be a good sign that things are truly easing.
Lol. Sucks to be stuck in the land of right wing opinion media distractions.

Both parties stand for one thing. Spend money they don’t have. When the debt apocalypse comes nobody will be able to rub the others Jose in that disaster.
Dems included revenue-raising measures in their spending bills. Republicans cut them out. Rs made it clear that they wouldn't vote for the infrastructure bill if the revenue provisions were in there. Just to pick one example that was loudly touted as bipartisan.

Sure, both parties are big spenders. But the Rs are more reckless than the Ds.

I know this flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but those are facts.

ADVERTISEMENT