ADVERTISEMENT

Inground Pool

No good way to say this but to you and/or people without the discretionary funds. We’ve already had some great family time and experiences and this is year 0 with a big 4th weekend, the dog days of summer, and Labor Day to come. Wouldn’t do anything different, but I wouldn’t do it if it meant not meeting the needs of our family.

Lacking discretionary funds probably isn't the best angle to use against me.

Did the next best thing. Just moved into a house that already had a pool. Grew up with a pool with a liner and the house we bought is the same thing. 32 foot by 16 foot, deep end is 8 1/2 feet shallow is 3 with a water slide. Would prefer a diving board but the kids like the slide. The liner is older so they fronted us the cost of a new liner in the deal to buy the pool so I'll be good for 10 years on that. It's heated also, which was mentioned earlier being in Marion Iowa you want the heater to use it in May and September. Love it so far.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Did the next best thing. Just moved into a house that already had a pool. Grew up with a pool with a liner and the house we bought is the same thing. 32 foot by 16 foot, deep end is 8 1/2 feet shallow is 3 with a water slide. Would prefer a diving board but the kids like the slide. The liner is older so they fronted us the cost of a new liner in the deal to buy the pool so I'll be good for 10 years on that. It's heated also, which was mentioned earlier being in Marion Iowa you want the heater to use it in May and September. Love it so far.
Speaking of pool types, we looked at moving into a couple of different houses but they had sport pools which are 4 feet deep the whole way. Good for playing volleyball or "basketball" but no deep end for diving. We didn't get a diving board on purpose, but I love having the deep end to dive into from the sides. Part of the whole experience. I would say as far as options go, I wish we would have put the permanent basketball hoop in. They wanted $1,000 and we passed. We have a plastic portable one that was under $100 and there is no way that is lasting the summer. I have read the larger sturdier more expensive portable ones have a hard time with rust. We have a salt pool so that would exacerbate the problem. Food for thought for OP.

Reactions: beanerhawk
Anyone put one in recently? The wife (no pics) has been all over me about putting one in this year/next year.

What style, heated, landscaping and any other info you might want to throw at me. Sounds like the fiberglass shell style is the way to go these days by the reviews.
I'm in the exact same boat. COVID-19 and being "trapped" at home is the driving force behind this. Same with yours?

Nope. Had to dig mine up after my murderin' sumbitch neighbor offed his wife. They still haven't found her.

Speaking of pool types, we looked at moving into a couple of different houses but they had sport pools which are 4 feet deep the whole way. Good for playing volleyball or "basketball" but no deep end for diving. We didn't get a diving board on purpose, but I love having the deep end to dive into from the sides. Part of the whole experience. I would say as far as options go, I wish we would have put the permanent basketball hoop in. They wanted $1,000 and we passed. We have a plastic portable one that was under $100 and there is no way that is lasting the summer. I have read the larger sturdier more expensive portable ones have a hard time with rust. We have a salt pool so that would exacerbate the problem. Food for thought for OP.
I'm looking at basketball hoops right now actually and trying to decide on a portable one, you're right every review I have found on them complains of them rusting out which is kind of a bummer. Growing up we had the diving board, I do miss that. It was a lot of fun and knock on wood no one every got seriously injured on it. Couple of people knocked their head on it doing back flips but that was all I can remember.

I can't see the value of putting in a pool in this region. A lot of money spent on something that you only get to use 3 months out of the year.

I can't see the value of putting in a pool in this region. A lot of money spent on something that you only get to use 3 months out of the year.
5 months: mid May through mid September. Some years you might get a little more use, some years a little less. Plus it just isn't the pool it is the concrete "decking" around it that makes for an outdoor party area. We have it tied into where the hot tub is and our deck off the house. That's quite a bit of use.

I'm looking at basketball hoops right now actually and trying to decide on a portable one, you're right every review I have found on them complains of them rusting out which is kind of a bummer. Growing up we had the diving board, I do miss that. It was a lot of fun and knock on wood no one every got seriously injured on it. Couple of people knocked their head on it doing back flips but that was all I can remember.
My wife ordered the one below. It is fun but like I said, it won't last.
Amazon product ASIN B0812LQ8GW

This one looks promosing.

Amazon product ASIN B07742VFLK

5 months: mid May through mid September. Some years you might get a little more use, some years a little less. Plus it just isn't the pool it is the concrete "decking" around it that makes for an outdoor party area. We have it tied into where the hot tub is and our deck off the house. That's quite a bit of use.

Cool setup. . . sounds similar to what my in-laws usually have in Florida. But there you can use it year round.

Even 5 months seems like not very much to me. Although my biases are that I don't have a lot of discretionary income and I'm really not even all that fond of swimming anyways, it's kind of nice but not something I would generally do a lot of. I do it a lot at my in-laws, but that's mostly because it's the only way I can get outside and yet be comfortable at the same time.

Also pool maintenance sounds like a pain.

But it's great if your family enjoys it.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Put a nice pool in.....just don't have company from Grimes do it. No service and extremely annoying to work with.

We did it 3 years ago. We did glass walls and it's surrounded by a saltwater aquarium on 3 sides, but they're only mako sharks because we didn't wanna go bigger than 200,000 gallons on the aquarium. I can give you the guys number, but he's tied up doing Jared Goff's place for a couple months I think.

Mako sharks? Those are good eating and the boots and belts are outstanding. Did you start your own breeding program or are you simply contracting the replacement sharks out to a contractor? How does your chef prepare the shark? Just the fin right?

Have one at the house in the desert, but everyone has one there. I’m in it about an hour a day max when in town. I live on the lake so no desire to have a pool in Minnesota. I’m putting it up for sale again. This time I’ll sell it. I dread the move.
Which lake you on? I've wanted to move to Minny for a couple of years now and if we do would prioritize finding a lake property. Might as well do it right if we're making a move.

My only negative experience has to do with pool installers. They have the ethics of a Trump. I wanted the blue prints to MY pool, but the installer refused to share them with me. He told me they were “ his” blue prints..I needed it to replace my pool liner and the pool builder wanted to sell me the liner...I did it much less expensively by having my pool guy measure and install the liner as opposed to having the pool builder do it. My pool guy has warned me of contractors to avoid on a couple of things...thankfully my guy seems to be pretty square to deal with. I really haven’t had a major issue in the 29 years I have been here...a couple of liners...a few motors...some dirty ducks...a few instances of “cloudy water”...but it’s amazing what a little liquid chlorine can fix! ;)

I'll stick with my indoor pool. Outdoor pool in Iowa is useless.
Indoors you can't stargaze after the soon goes down, with the pool glowing blue, and a fire in the fire pit nearby wafting wonder smells. Yes, I am old. But having an indoor pool would be pretty dope, I cannot lie.

Mako sharks? Those are good eating and the boots and belts are outstanding. Did you start your own breeding program or are you simply contracting the replacement sharks out to a contractor? How does your chef prepare the shark? Just the fin right?
Don't you talk about eating Tango & Cash! Rambo keeps jumping over the zero edge... you can have him.

Indoors you can't stargaze after the soon goes down, with the pool glowing blue, and a fire in the fire pit nearby wafting wonder smells. Yes, I am old. But having an indoor pool would be pretty dope, I cannot lie.

No most of the outdoor pool roof doesn't open. There is a section over the hot tub that does though for the winter time. I'll admit I didn't want to pay for a retractable roof.

Which lake you on? I've wanted to move to Minny for a couple of years now and if we do would prioritize finding a lake property. Might as well do it right if we're making a move.

Lake Minnetonka. Numerous lakes up here. You will have a lot of choices. Wisconsin has some great spots too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT