ADVERTISEMENT

Injury Report for Iowa State (them, not us)

Ripcord280

HB All-State
Aug 30, 2016
I had heard that their top linebacker might be out and that they were thin at linebacker to start with. if that is true, we should be able to take advantage of it, although I am still not convinced our offense is "fixed." (just got to consider level of competition last weekend)

also, supposedly Sama,their top back, I think, might be dinged.

does anybody have any further info?

Bacon, the LB was carted off the field. Gotta think he’s out for awhile. Sama looked to have tweaked an ankle, and didn’t return. No idea if it was precautionary, or if he’s hurt.

They may have an OL that is injured as well?

Three of the top five linebackers didn't play. The best one got hurt early, was helped off the field and didn't return....scuttlebutt says it's a knee. It's kind of an interesting situation at the position, as there's very little experience but the coaches are extremely high on the group -- I'm pretty sure Heacock said it's the most talented group he's had, which is saying something.

But linebackers were probably the main reason ND was able to run so well.

Haven't heard anything about Sama, but he left the field under his own power.

IIRC, three OL with starting experience also didn't play Saturday.

Sama came out for a stretch but went back in, I expect he's fine.

The ISU LB situation is dire, and reason for strong optimism for the good guys. With our RB room and TE corps, look out.

Reactions: Old Uncle Teddy
Sama came out for a stretch but went back in, I expect he's fine.

The ISU LB situation is dire, and reason for strong optimism for the good guys. With our RB room and TE corps, look out.
then it sounds like they will got with four (or five?) down lineman and two linebackers. I mean, just common sense to minimize your weaknesses and maximize your strengths.

Excuses will be in short supply if Iowa doesn't win this game. Playing at home, with possibly a much improved offense, and the injury bug to high profile players. Yeah, Iowa has got to win this.

Excuses will be in short supply if Iowa doesn't win this game. Playing at home, with possibly a much improved offense, and the injury bug to high profile players. Yeah, Iowa has got to win this.
I am hoping we go into the OSU game having not allowed a TD. For sure not a rushing TD, (can't recall what week we were in last year when we allowed one. But yeah, we have a shot at not allowing a TD going into the shoe. (Then we have to perform well at the shoe as well, but I don't think it is realistic to think this years streak goes past that game.)

Reactions: AEG82
Bacon, the LB was carted off the field. Gotta think he’s out for awhile. Sama looked to have tweaked an ankle, and didn’t return. No idea if it was precautionary, or if he’s hurt.

They may have an OL that is injured as well?
Bacon had surgery on Sunday. Obviously is out for Saturday.

Their LB situation reminds me of what we had in 2022 when we had something like 2 healthy scholarship WR on the entire team. We can only hope that they deal with it as well as we did that year.

How are we not favored more?

I REALLY want to put money on this game.
I can't disagree with you. I thought the Hawks would be favored around -5.5. Still, I don't blame the sports books waiting to see if the Iowa offense simply outmanned Illinois State or if it is truly improved. Right now I would take Iowa to cover. You never know about this game, though. The last time I guaranteed a Iowa win was in 2005. I ate a lot of crow that week.

This game is in Kinnick so I'm willing to give Iowa the benefit of the doubt.

Agreed. That said, the idea of a "much improved offense" has a ways to go before being validated. One half against a depleted FCS team isn't enough to pronounce a turnaround just yet. We'll know a lot more after we see the first half on Saturday.

Reactions: AEG82 and desihawk
DO IT! It is a gift. Just unwrap it and take it!

The biggest concern I have regarding this game is with the huge LB problem they currently have, Heacock (I believe) is going to have to make an adjustment for the week. Has all week to figure it out. Either play four on the DL, move a safety to LB, something.

Just don't see the 3-3-5 being used much this game or even the season. LB group just got whacked too much.

Which means Lester will have to adjust right from the start.

This will be a great test for him.

Oh, I'll also add one positive, they have a new OC. Has been the TE coach. I wish him luck. :)

Reactions: h-hawk
I can't disagree with you. I thought the Hawks would be favored around -5.5. Still, I don't blame the sports books waiting to see if the Iowa offense simply outmanned Illinois State or if it is truly improved. Right now I would take Iowa to cover. You never know about this game, though. The last time I guaranteed a Iowa win was in 2005. I ate a lot of crow that week.

This game is in Kinnick so I'm willing to give Iowa the benefit of the doubt.
Yeah, every time I catch myself thinking this game is heavily in our favor, I remember 2005. That game's scar might never fully heal. Worst thing is I was captive at that game and couldn't bail.
Agreed. That said, the idea of a "much improved offense" has a ways to go before being validated. One half against a depleted FCS team isn't enough to pronounce a turnaround just yet. We'll know a lot more after we see the first half on Saturday.
I think the reasons for confidence have more to do with how certain players carried themselves, and things we saw with the scheme, than the actual stats/result.
Meh. Remember when they tried telling us Mike Rose was a better linebacker than Jack Campbell and then we went in and ate their lunch and drank their beer and got the W?
Rose WAS a fine backer, and that game was hella tight.

Reactions: BonzoFury
The biggest concern I have regarding this game is with the huge LB problem they currently have, Heacock (I believe) is going to have to make an adjustment for the week. Has all week to figure it out. Either play four on the DL, move a safety to LB, something.

Just don't see the 3-3-5 being used much this game or even the season. LB group just got whacked too much.

Which means Lester will have to adjust right from the start.

This will be a great test for him.
I don't follow... you're saying the opponent needing to scramble their scheme and identity because of massive personnel losses to a position group equates to (checks notes) a challenge for Lester? I think it translates into "Hawks are coming at ya, good luck stopping these RBs and TEs with no LB on your team."

I don't follow... you're saying the opponent needing to scramble their scheme and identity because of massive personnel losses to a position group equates to (checks notes) a challenge for Lester? I think it translates into "Hawks are coming at ya, good luck stopping these RBs and TEs with no LB on your team."

I'm saying because they have very little starting LB's left, Heacock is going to move from the 3-3-5 that Lester is preparing for.

Absolutely correct and I concur. I'm cautiously optimistic though for the first time in what feels like a very, very, very long time. Probably setting myself up for failure, like a lot us I'm sure. Alas, it's the gift and the curse that is Iowa football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT