ADVERTISEMENT

Inner workings of the Athletic Department

pondscum

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jun 18, 2011
Things have really changed since I was in Iowa City. I was able to talk to someone who was once an insider but is now retired, I do believe he does know what's up. First off there is no longer an athletic board of control. In that system which was what was in place the AD answered to the board like they would in a business model where the AD was the CEO and the board was the company board. That was abolished some time ago. Now the AD answers to the President. The President has an advisory board which consists in the area of 16, the athletes have two seats as does two outsiders, the rest are people being paid by the U. After talking to this person, it sounds like the board has little to any influence.
Next is Barta, I was told he would never let a big donor or group of donors have any influence, period. This person believes he does have a group of people he talks to, and that group is unknown.
The family,
he says KF has enough goodwill built-up that he would have to have a few horrible years before his seat would get hot. He said now everyone believes BF is in over his head and something needs to be done, but what. He feels that KF has enough contacts in the NFL he could get BF a job as a position coach. We talked about what other options there might be, and he said he just doesn't really have any idea what will happen.
So, I learned a lot from this talk, and I hope it answers some for you. The idea that big donors will influence Barta is not true so we should quit hoping this might have some effect. I also learned there is no longer a board that can be influenced. I also learned that everyone, even in Iowa City thinks something has to be done with BF

First off there is no longer an athletic board of control. In that system which was what was in place the AD answered to the board like they would in a business model where the AD was the CEO and the board was the company board. That was abolished some time ago.
I also learned there is no longer a board that can be influenced.
main-qimg-04c72ab62cd6b3495ab30c5d0c551abe

Things have really changed since I was in Iowa City. I was able to talk to someone who was once an insider but is now retired, I do believe he does know what's up. First off there is no longer an athletic board of control. In that system which was what was in place the AD answered to the board like they would in a business model where the AD was the CEO and the board was the company board. That was abolished some time ago. Now the AD answers to the President. The President has an advisory board which consists in the area of 16, the athletes have two seats as does two outsiders, the rest are people being paid by the U. After talking to this person, it sounds like the board has little to any influence.
Next is Barta, I was told he would never let a big donor or group of donors have any influence, period. This person believes he does have a group of people he talks to, and that group is unknown.
The family,
he says KF has enough goodwill built-up that he would have to have a few horrible years before his seat would get hot. He said now everyone believes BF is in over his head and something needs to be done, but what. He feels that KF has enough contacts in the NFL he could get BF a job as a position coach. We talked about what other options there might be, and he said he just doesn't really have any idea what will happen.
So, I learned a lot from this talk, and I hope it answers some for you. The idea that big donors will influence Barta is not true so we should quit hoping this might have some effect. I also learned there is no longer a board that can be influenced. I also learned that everyone, even in Iowa City thinks something has to be done with BF
Here’s the deal about Brian though:

There’s a Lawsuit out there with his name in it and until that gets resolved he’s going nowhere. Nobody would ever hire him until his name is cleared. That’s a reality and that in itself will keep him around here till that gets resolved.

I realize the family relationship. The head football coach on every team in America should have say over their assistants. You have to go after the head coach in every program in America. No coach would ever take a job if they can’t hire or replace staff. I know this is different!

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Barta is Brian’s boss on paper only. KF will ultimately make every staff decision. End. Over.Out.

Theres ZERO chance KF bounces Brian from his current position. Repeat: ZERO.
That's why Brian needs to be "promoted" to assistant HC with oline position coach responsibilities. Fill the vacant OC position with someone with proven ability in that role.

There’s a Lawsuit out there with his name in it and until that gets resolved he’s going nowhere. Nobody would ever hire him until his name is cleared. That’s a reality and that in itself will keep him around here till that gets resolved.
This is a reality and correct. Until that gets resolved nothing is happening.

This is a reality and correct. Until that gets resolved nothing is happening.
And by the time it gets resolved this spring, the next hiring cycle of NFL and college coaches likely has passed so the odds he’s here again next year seem quite high.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
The blatant, unapologetic nepotism is pretty embarrassing for the Iowa program. BF wasn't qualified to be OC, hadn't earned it, was gifted it because of daddy. There would've been 100 candidates more qualified for Iowa's OC than him. And as a result we have one of the worst offenses in FBS, in pretty much every category.
One of the other posters had some information that something like 25 of the power conference head coaches had a son/family member on the coaching staff. It's quite staggering for how rampant it is.

As to the question of whether BF was qualified to be the OC, I would argue that a blind resume was probably better than many of those who are hired as OC's. Big 10 player, short time on NFL roster, then NFL staffs, including position coach for arguably the best NFL coach in history. And the position group when he was there was one of the best in the league. Then OL coach at his alma mater where the team was good running the ball, Joe Moore Award winner in 2015 and 2 1,000 yard rushers in 2016 before taking over as OC.

But from the day BF was hired as OC, there was always a very small chance that it worked out well. It's just the way it is. It's why you don't put a family member as a coach on the staff. If it doesn't go well and a change is not made, people wonder if everyone is getting a fair shake. It is of KF's own doing, so he owns the outcome of it.

One of the other posters had some information that something like 25 of the power conference head coaches had a son/family member on the coaching staff. It's quite staggering for how rampant it is.

As to the question of whether BF was qualified to be the OC, I would argue that a blind resume was probably better than many of those who are hired as OC's. Big 10 player, short time on NFL roster, then NFL staffs, including position coach for arguably the best NFL coach in history. And the position group when he was there was one of the best in the league. Then OL coach at his alma mater where the team was good running the ball, Joe Moore Award winner in 2015 and 2 1,000 yard rushers in 2016 before taking over as OC.

But from the day BF was hired as OC, there was always a very small chance that it worked out well. It's just the way it is. It's why you don't put a family member as a coach on the staff. If it doesn't go well and a change is not made, people wonder if everyone is getting a fair shake. It is of KF's own doing, so he owns the outcome of it.
Very well stated.

I’d debate he didn’t earn it. He has come up thru the ranks like many others. Now are their others more qualified, sure.
It’s questionable whether he earned it. But can see why he was given the chance. I can’t think anyone would honestly say he deserves to keep it. Iowa has been that bad offensively.

Don't entirely disagree with most of that, I'd just say that a blind review of BF's resume would've probably qualified him to be an OC at an FCS or non-P5 FBS program. Not at a borderline perennial top-25 B1G program.

Don't entirely disagree with most of that, I'd just say that a blind review of BF's resume would've probably qualified him to be an OC at an FCS or non-P5 FBS program. Not at a borderline perennial top-25 B1G program.
And he got the job at age 32. I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt anyone else in America at the major college level makes him their OC at age 32.

I would agree with that. It is shocking to me looking at highlights from I think 2018 season when Iowa scored 48 points and won at Minnesota. Hockenson, Fant, ISM, Wirfs, Alaric Jackson, Linderbaum, Stanley. All either NFL draft picks or in the NFL today, on the offensive side of the ball. And also Brandon Smith, who has been in the Cowboys practice squad and Mekhi Sargent, who has been hanging around the periphery of the NFL. Fast forward to this year, who on the current offense is going to be in the NFL? Laporta and Lachey, maybe? What in the hell happened to recruiting on that side of the ball? Completely fell off a cliff.

I would agree with that. It is shocking to me looking at highlights from I think 2018 season when Iowa scored 48 points and won at Minnesota. Hockenson, Fant, ISM, Wirfs, Alaric Jackson, Linderbaum, Stanley. All either NFL draft picks or in the NFL today, on the offensive side of the ball. And also Brandon Smith, who has been in the Cowboys practice squad and Mekhi Sargent, who has been hanging around the periphery of the NFL. Fast forward to this year, who on the current offense is going to be in the NFL? Laporta and Lachey, maybe? What in the hell happened to recruiting on that side of the ball? Completely fell off a cliff.
Bingo! And while I don't follow recruiting closely, I keep reading on here from many many posters how "loaded" we are in youthful talent in the program and how great the recruiting has been in recent years. Clearly, all this talent and these great recruits are mostly on the defensive side of the ball-- am I correct?

kF promotes BF to OC then gives everyone the finger by promoting him to QB coach as well last year after so much noise about the offense being terrible. None of it makes sense but to KF it does. He thinks he is smarter than everyone else and doesn’t care what everyone else thinks.

Reactions: Legs94
kF promotes BF to OC then gives everyone the finger by promoting him to QB coach as well last year after so much noise about the offense being terrible. None of it makes sense but to KF it does. He thinks he is smarter than everyone else and doesn’t care what everyone else thinks.
Not to mention after adding QB's to BF's responsibilities he hires an analyst for $100K to coach the QB's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thunderlips71

BF was the coffee boy for the Patriots. He was just there to pad his resume, thanks to daddy.

Reactions: HawkeyeHighFlyers
And betting every one of them far more effective than BF has been at his job
lol…. So now the standards have changed. Actually if you want to look for OC’s that aren’t very successful the resumes will match up better. Keep moving the goal posts. Definitely not a BF supporter but watching you just shooting your opinions out is quite humorous

lol…. So now the standards have changed. Actually if you want to look for OC’s that aren’t very successful the resumes will match up better. Keep moving the goal posts. Definitely not a BF supporter but watching you just shooting your opinions out is quite humorous
Ignore me then, but betting you cant.

Sorry your boy Brian is making you look bad.

Shouldn’t that get solved soon?

Shouldn’t that get solved soon?
The trial is set for this next February or March I believe.

Sadly though, it will be AFTER the next major wave of coaching changes/movement that will happen.

I think this is the correct take. It’s not that BF was a bad hire, it’s just that if it didn’t work out, which it hasn’t, there’d be no way to make a change. KF gambled and lost, and now we sit with the consequences

I think this is the correct take. It’s not that BF was a bad hire, it’s just that if it didn’t work out, which it hasn’t, there’d be no way to make a change. KF gambled and lost, and now we sit with the consequences
Yes, that is why the nepotism rules exist. It's not that family members aren't necessarily qualified for jobs where they are hired. It's that if performance isn't what is required/expected, is the family member going to be held to the same standard as a non-family member? No one should feel sorry for KF or BF in this situation. It's entirely of their own doing.

Why? Why does that prevent him from being fired? Making sure Brian can get a job elsewhere is not a reason to keep him.

Ignore me then, but betting you cant.

Sorry your boy Brian is making you look bad.
I do enjoy your tactics.
You throw out an ill informed, inaccurate premise.
It’s easily refuted
Then it’s ‘ignore me’ and assigning an opinion to someone with no basis in fact.
Sometimes it’s okay to say ‘I was speaking out my a** without really thinking’ than to deflect away from the garbage that you spewed. You either have little to no knowledge on coaches and how they get to the levels that they are at or you just decide to throw crap at the board and hope nobody fact checks you.
You got fact checked on this one and you missed the mark. Not a big deal.

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
The trial is set for this next February or March I believe.

Sadly though, it will be AFTER the next major wave of coaching changes/movement that will happen.

I know there are big egos involved, but if the season ends the same it way it started Brian just might have to take a year off of football.

Reactions: frydaze
He’s made some really questionable decisions this season. For example, Gavin playing at the end of the game after really struggling all night. That shouldn’t happen.

holy crap!! I could not believe it when I read this. figured it was maybe something to do with a driveway dispute with a neighbor. i had to go google search it. I honestly thought all this crap went away after doyle got the boot. he was the fall guy, and it went away. so, "several" ex players still claiming racism since 2020? unbelievable.

holy crap!! I could not believe it when I read this. figured it was maybe something to do with a driveway dispute with a neighbor. i had to go google search it. I honestly thought all this crap went away after doyle got the boot. he was the fall guy, and it went away. so, "several" ex players still claiming racism since 2020? unbelievable.
Yeah it's been fairly prominent and there is a mega thread here about the thing.

Frydaze is likely correct in the lawsuit's impact on the current situation. That thing needs a resolution before anything of substance happens with the staff. KF is not retiring with that thing out there as he doesn't want it being the final verse on his career. And he will not have BF move on until the lawsuit is resolved. As Frydaze and others have pointed out, BF is unhireable while that is still out there. Fair or not.

Why? Why does that prevent him from being fired? Making sure Brian can get a job elsewhere is not a reason to keep him
I mean technically there is nothing to prevent him being fired. But from a realistic standpoint, his father is not going to fire him with that lawsuit still to be resolved. I'm not getting into the validity of the lawsuit. But the fact that it exists does make BF unhireable by most any college or pro team right now. If it's thrown out or settled with no admission/ackhowledgement of guilt, then everyone could move on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT