ADVERTISEMENT

Inside ISU athletic dept

GoUIowa

HR All-American
Sep 30, 2001
Spoke to someone who works below Pollard. Says a stated goal is to have the largest capacity football stadium in the state and highest average attendance per game in football and basketball year in, year out. They’re confident it will be accomplished with the north end zone expansion of Jack Trice. (They’re not far off right now with attendance.) That’s not exactly breaking news, but how clearly stated that goal is was interesting, as was how much they see Iowa as a benchmark to pass and how confident they are it will happen.

Should they achieve those goals, how funny will it be when their still competing with UNI for 2nd largest fan base in Iowa?

Reactions: JAMAM
They are willing to add on to there stadium.. when Iowa renovates they take seats away.. but at the end of the day they are a $10 ticket where Iowa is a $50 ticket... that's comparing McDonald's to a 5 star steak house.. yeah McDonald's sells a crap load of burgers but the product still sucks

They are willing to add on to there stadium.. when Iowa renovates they take seats away.. but at the end of the day they are a $10 ticket where Iowa is a $50 ticket... that's comparing McDonald's to a 5 star steak house.. yeah McDonald's sells a crap load of burgers but the product still sucks

And like McDonald's food, it never goes away (decomposes)
338B8CAC00000578-3559112-image-a-1_1461662435873.jpg

Reactions: Herkmeister
There will T-shirts printed to celebrate when that happens. I often joke on the message board. In this case, I am not.

The danger for Iowa--apparently embraced by Barta as athletic department fundraiser-in-chief--is pricing too many fans out of the market. By opening the doors to more affordable ticket pricing, ISU is winning new fans and filling seats--growing its fan base. They seem especially focused on young fans ... the future.

My concern is that Barta has taken Iowa's fan base for granted, as if Iowa will always be on top because, well, it's Iowa. Some fans think this way, too, without realizing that Ames' proximity to a fast-growing Des Moines is a huge advantage that could well shift the balance in-state. One could say it's already shifting, and rather rapidly with strong coaching hires, a sturdy and largely successful basketball program, and as a last piece of their long-term growth plan, football. They are being helped immensely by fawning coverage from the Des Moines Register and other central Iowa media outlets. Iowa now plays second fiddle in this regard.

Barta's "don't screw it up" regime lacks imagination and appears to have little by way of strategic planning, outside of revenues and new facilities. This almost singular focus on growing revenues--fan support be damned--has the strong potential of slowly winnowing away base-level fans who cannot afford, or choose not to afford, actual game attendance. Watching TV and listening to radio broadcasts do not really involve much buy-in from a fan support perspective and leave open the chance to flip channels and begin paying more attention to the other in-state program, especially when it does better than your own.

This ISU growth trend is not entirely Barta's fault and may be inevitable, given the shifting dynamics of our state's population and the growing disinterest in liberal arts education (I still recall the rather snobbish "Iowa Culture vs. Iowa State Agriculture" mantra in the build-up to the game that renewed the Iowa-ISU football series; no one really thinks in those terms any more). For instance, ISU has out-enrolled Iowa for a few years now and that trend may not change. Meanwhile, maybe Iowa continues being the "fat cat" athletic department even though it can't sustain historical levels of fan support and can only survive by enjoying the fruits of superior TV revenues. Fine, so long as those revenues continue to be superior and some level of competitive success is enjoyed on the playing field.

But what we've seen lately in terms of poor basketball performance and largely mediocre football performance only opens the door even wider for ISU. The powers that be in Ames are more than ready to fill the gap and essentially, in their view, do to Iowa what Iowa did to them for such a very long time. Little Brother is growing up.

Spoke to someone who works below Pollard. Says a stated goal is to have the largest capacity football stadium in the state and highest average attendance per game in football and basketball year in, year out. They’re confident it will be accomplished with the north end zone expansion of Jack Trice. (They’re not far off right now with attendance.) That’s not exactly breaking news, but how clearly stated that goal is was interesting, as was how much they see Iowa as a benchmark to pass and how confident they are it will happen.

You'd think revenue maximization might be a top consideration. Their ticket prices and premiums nowhere near Kinnick levels.

Reactions: HerkytheHawk
The danger for Iowa--apparently embraced by Barta as athletic department fundraiser-in-chief--is pricing too many fans out of the market. By opening the doors to more affordable ticket pricing, ISU is winning new fans and filling seats--growing its fan base. They seem especially focused on young fans ... the future.

My concern is that Barta has taken Iowa's fan base for granted, as if Iowa will always be on top because, well, it's Iowa. Some fans think this way, too, without realizing that Ames' proximity to a fast-growing Des Moines is a huge advantage that could well shift the balance in-state. One could say it's already shifting, and rather rapidly with strong coaching hires, a sturdy and largely successful basketball program, and as a last piece of their long-term growth plan, football. They are being helped immensely by fawning coverage from the Des Moines Register and other central Iowa media outlets. Iowa now plays second fiddle in this regard.

Barta's "don't screw it up" regime lacks imagination and appears to have little by way of strategic planning, outside of revenues and new facilities. This almost singular focus on growing revenues--fan support be damned--has the strong potential of slowly winnowing away base-level fans who cannot afford, or choose not to afford, actual game attendance. Watching TV and listening to radio broadcasts do not really involve much buy-in from a fan support perspective and leave open the chance to flip channels and begin paying more attention to the other in-state program, especially when it does better than your own.

This ISU growth trend is not entirely Barta's fault and may be inevitable, given the shifting dynamics of our state's population and the growing disinterest in liberal arts education (I still recall the rather snobbish "Iowa Culture vs. Iowa State Agriculture" mantra in the build-up to the game that renewed the Iowa-ISU football series; no one really thinks in those terms any more). For instance, ISU has out-enrolled Iowa for a few years now and that trend may not change. Meanwhile, maybe Iowa continues being the "fat cat" athletic department even though it can't sustain historical levels of fan support and can only survive by enjoying the fruits of superior TV revenues. Fine, so long as those revenues continue to be superior and some level of competitive success is enjoyed on the playing field.

But what we've seen lately in terms of poor basketball performance and largely mediocre football performance only opens the door even wider for ISU. The powers that be in Ames are more than ready to fill the gap and essentially, in their view, do to Iowa what Iowa did to them for such a very long time. Little Brother is growing up.

Hmm, Iowa sells youth tickets and also cheaper student tickets, so you saying basically free tickets, free tickets, free tickets???

Immediately after defeating Oklahoma, ISU had a home game against Kansas (homecoming I believe), and the stadium was half full at best. yes it was kind of rainy, but come on. If that would have been Kinnick it would have been a heck of lot more than half full.

Reactions: HKI
I don’t see this being a terrible goal for them. Why not try to get more capacity.. I think their program is in the right direction with MC. Nothing wrong with goals. I think it only helps the rivalry when they aren’t dog shit. Especially if we have to play them, I want them to be decent. Still hate iowa state and their fans.

Reactions: I_Love_Facts
There may be a much bigger picture in mind if this is indeed true. Conference realignment happens in 5 short years. The thinking may be that by expanding both capacity and attendance, regardless of ticket price, will show other conferences that ISU is serious about football. Risk is obviously that it doesn't work, Campbell leaves and they have a 70,000 seat stadium while playing in the Mountain West. Pollard is a pretty ballsy guy and is smart. He knows he can go down as the one who saved athletics at ISU.

Not far off? I think most posts in this thread are reasonable, but 20% isn't far off? And that is using the highest peak of tickets ever? I'll go on the record, no way they build capacity over 70,000.

The project going before the BOR this month is NOT an expansion of the NEZ at Jack Trice. It is for things that will be more in the North Entrance of the stadium. Expansion of seating in the NEZ is down the road. They are going to connect the concourses together and build some buildings outside the concourse for the athletic department (mostly for football). They are also expanding the Reiman Gardens outside the SEZ for 20M dollar to make part of a grand entrance to ISU.

It is just a matter of time before ISU overtakes Iowa on total seats, Iowa is SHRINKING to let say 69K (according too Barta). ISU right now is officially 61.5K. If the NEZ is ever renovated for seats, it will easily put ISU about 70K (but that is years away).

The question is, will ISU pass season ticket sales for Iowa this year. It is a long shot, but it is actually starting to look possible. Just a few years back it was like 50k versus 29K on season tickets. This years season tickets likely will be a record for ISU (which is currently 43K). Is 50K possible? Maybe. ISU will have made major strides on closing the gap in season tickets.

As for the cost of Iowa versus ISU tickets, I just looked on both websites to see what it costs there are to get into the best sections at the 50 yard line. Here is what I could come up with for 2018:

Iowa Season Ticket 7 games - $415
ISU Season Ticket 7 Games - $475

To buy 4 seats at the 50 for Iowa: 415*4 Plus Donation 4*600 = $4,060
To buy 4 seats at the 50 for ISU : 475*4 Plus Donation 5000 = $6,900

Now I realize there might be an I-Club donation as well for Iowa, but it would have to be 3K to bring the price up to ISU levels.

Also, both schools require donations to get seats that are from back of end zone to back of end zone on the sides, and the remainder of seats in the endzones are donation free, so that is pretty much a wash.

Also, for 2017 average attendance Iowa was #22 and ISU was #28 (Never been top 30 before). Based upon the games they have this year in Ames, there is a very good possibility that ALL games will sell out at 61.5K, and if this happens ISU could move to #25, just 3 spots behind where Iowa expects to finish.

Oh, and by the way, I went to the Iowa/OSU game this year, and there were easily 2-3k empty seats high up in the endzones when the game started, and judging from all the red, there were at least 5K + of OSU fans.

The 11/11/2017 ISU game vs. #12 OkSU team was the first time they've sold out their new capacity against an out-of-state team. They do sellout when Iowa and UNI come fill up seats.

They drew 56k vs. #4 TCU this year. Last year, they drew 50k vs. #13 Baylor, 50k vs. #12 Oklahoma, and 51k vs. #19 WVU.

I'm not sure why they would like to raise capacity.

The 11/11/2017 ISU game vs. #12 OkSU team was the first time they've sold out their new capacity against an out-of-state team. They do sellout when Iowa and UNI come fill up seats.

They drew 56k vs. #4 TCU this year. Last year, they drew 50k vs. #13 Baylor, 50k vs. #12 Oklahoma, and 51k vs. #19 WVU.

Little brother syndrome

Two years ago you could get season tickets for Iowa State for $125. It was a special, but it was the price and it counted towards their season tix similar to what Iowa did with the E-ticket last year but much cheaper.. That is the price for a pair of tickets to 1 Iowa game. And not even a good Iowa game.

We were informed of this a few years back when ISU posters were telling us about their rising enrollment.

Little did we know they would soon add "excellent water quality" to their list. I don't know about anybody else, but I get thirsty after cheering at a football game.

In all seriousness, those that follow athletics know that 20 years ago, we never ever could have imagined the Baylor Bears needing more seats or worrying about if they'd be in or out of the CFP.

This right here sums it up. Last year they finally sold out when they played a rank team in a season they tied for 2nd most wins in a season with 8 (true story). Before and after end zone expansion most of the time by end of October early November there are always plenty of seats available at the games.

I have a feeling they won't be expanding past 70K anytime soon. With latest expansion it added 5-6K to add another 9K would be quite commitment of time and money.

The entire industry is shrinking their stadiums and using ticket scarcity to increase prices.

ISU is throwing $25 tickets around to get butts in the seats. At least they don't have to try and put butts in the lawn anymore.

Get back to me with their attendance statistics in years where they don't host both Iowa and UNI. South Dakota State and Akron don't quite put butts in the seats like in-state rivals do.
Both of those games will easily sell out. Where is this myth that Iowa brings tons of fans to Ames coming from. Pollard has already said that Iowa has NOT bought its allotment for many years. And that is only 4K of tickets, same as all visitors.

Both of those games will easily sell out. Where is this myth that Iowa brings tons of fans to Ames coming from. Pollard has already said that Iowa has NOT bought its allotment for many years. And that is only 4K of tickets, same as all visitors.

It's not about how many tickets the U of I sells itself but its all the fans from in state be that UNI or Iowa who come to these games and buy tickets from ISU, others people they know or secondary markets. It's no coincidence these games are the 2 that constantly sell out and before last years Okie St game vs highly ranked teams that didn't sell out.

It's not a bad goal but I'd be shocked if ISU ever averages over 60k per game. It's a combination of a lot of factors.

Get back to me with their attendance statistics in years where they don't host both Iowa and UNI. South Dakota State and Akron don't quite put butts in the seats like in-state rivals do.

I will guarantee those first 2 home games in Jack Trice sellout in 2018. Yes, playing in state rivals helps sell tickets although the opposing fans still make up less than 10% total attendance. What you all fail to take into consideration is that ISU had won no more than 3 games in a season (prior to last year) for 4 years in a row. The ISU fan base has been pretty damn loyal enduring those several bad seasons in a row and still averaging over 50,000 fans per game 2 seasons ago (in route to 9th place finish in Big 12). Now we're about to see how many more thousands of people will show up when the team is having back to back winning seasons. ISU keeps having seasons like last year or even better, and Jack Trice will be bursting at the seams, having no problem selling 61,000+ tickets each game. Plenty of those "fair weather" or fringe fans in central Iowa will decide it's closer to drive to Ames than it is IA City to see a winning football team and they'll jump on our bandwagon. It would become just like Hilton Coliseum is with demand for tickets way exceeding the supply.

By the way, when's the last time Carver Hawkeye Arena has sold out? I see they still had about 700 tickets remaining for hosting #3 Purdue last week. There's a perfect example of what losing can do to a fanbase. I'd love to see how bad numbers would drop at Kinnick if Iowa had to endure 4 straight losing seasons in football. Your average attendance would be well south of 50,000, I'm confident of that.

It's not a bad goal but I'd be shocked if ISU ever averages over 60k per game. It's a combination of a lot of factors.

So ISU sells out 3/6 games this last season (61,500) and averages just under 58,000 fans per game last season and you'd "be shocked if ISU ever averages over 60k per game"? If we win the majority of our games at Jack Trice, like I think we will, it's likely to happen in 2018. Are you trying to humor the hawk fans, Bryce?

Lol. ISU is not going to consistently fill a 70k seat stadium. Good lord, the delusion doesn't stop on the field for Cyclone fans.

Who in this thread said that ISU is going to consistently fill a 70k stadium? I believe they can consistently fill a 61,500 seat stadium. If they continue to have winning seasons, there will be a need for adding more seats in the north endzone. That's not hard to imagine. Again, they've had 1 winning season in 5 seasons now and they sold 58,000 tickets per game last season. That was an increase of over 5,000 per game from the year before when they only won 3 games. It's not hard to predict our attendance going up by thousands more per game as the Cyclones continue to win games and have winning seasons.

It's not about how many tickets the U of I sells itself but its all the fans from in state be that UNI or Iowa who come to these games and buy tickets from ISU, others people they know or secondary markets. It's no coincidence these games are the 2 that constantly sell out and before last years Okie St game vs highly ranked teams that didn't sell out.

Sell outs at ISU have much more to do with the time of year than the opponent. A decent portion of the fanbase work in the ag sector. The early games before the farmers get in the field are always going to sell better. Obviously, it also helps if the team is decent to push fence sitters into going. SDSU and Akron will both likely sell out this fall, while selling out later games against ranked teams will totally depend on how successful the team has been to that point...and it still might be a struggle. It is what it is. I've had season tickets for years and can't remember a time when I made more than 3 home games.

BTW, this current project under discussion will increase capacity very little if any.

Parents have more of an effect than ticket price.
I was practically born into fandom for most my teams.
Pretty sure ISU has always been closer to dsm.

I will guarantee those first 2 home games in Jack Trice sellout in 2018. Yes, playing in state rivals helps sell tickets although the opposing fans still make up less than 10% total attendance. What you all fail to take into consideration is that ISU had won no more than 3 games in a season (prior to last year) for 4 years in a row. The ISU fan base has been pretty damn loyal enduring those several bad seasons in a row and still averaging over 50,000 fans per game 2 seasons ago (in route to 9th place finish in Big 12). Now we're about to see how many more thousands of people will show up when the team is having back to back winning seasons. ISU keeps having seasons like last year or even better, and Jack Trice will be bursting at the seams, having no problem selling 61,000+ tickets each game. Plenty of those "fair weather" or fringe fans in central Iowa will decide it's closer to drive to Ames than it is IA City to see a winning football team and they'll jump on our bandwagon. It would become just like Hilton Coliseum is with demand for tickets way exceeding the supply.

By the way, when's the last time Carver Hawkeye Arena has sold out? I see they still had about 700 tickets remaining for hosting #3 Purdue last week. There's a perfect example of what losing can do to a fanbase. I'd love to see how bad numbers would drop at Kinnick if Iowa had to endure 4 straight losing seasons in football. Your average attendance would be well south of 50,000, I'm confident of that.
You're forgetting that the prices WILL go up if you keep winning(which you probably won't), they are not gonna stay at $25 a game lol.
How many tix you have left when you had a decent team and the #4(or so) team came in to jack trice? Saw plenty of empty seats in the little time I watched.....

I actually agree with most of this. If we are complacent and ok with staying stagnant, we will get left behind. Most of these points could be pointed at the University as a whole all of the departments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT