ADVERTISEMENT

Intent to Infect?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
3500.jpg

Caption: A protest against mask mandates in Austin at the weekend. In Texas, mask-wearing has turned into a partisan squabble.A protest against mask mandates in Austin at the weekend. In Texas, mask-wearing has turned into a partisan squabble.

'We don't live in a communist country!': battle over masks rages in Texas

The science of wearing masks to prevent the spread of coronavirus seems to be largely settled, but the politics around it is still raging, especially in conservative strongholds like Texas. Stores, churches, small businesses, government offices and other institutions across the state are grappling with how to enforce public health rules without alienating those who disagree.

Mask-wearing soon turned into a partisan squabble between lovers of liberty who hate government mandates and supporters worried about getting sick or infecting others. The consequences of the deep divisions are starting to appear as coronavirus cases surge in Texas, but a mask remains a public health, political and religious statement.

Covid-19 hospitalizations across the state have more than tripled since the beginning of the month, and hit an all-time daily record of 8,076 cases on Wednesday, according to the state health department. Greg Abbott has pleaded with citizens to wear masks and finally issued an order requiring them Thursday, effective on Friday.

more here:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/02/texas-masks-coronavirus-covid-battle

Black t-shirt: Snowflakes don't last long in Texas

Fatties don't last long with the rona.

I've been in Dallas for a few days and will be in Austin in a few more days (I've got my M95 mask).

People here are super friendly and polite but damn, the education level just seems so much lower on average. Like I said, very nice, welcoming people but they just seem to be "simple."

Side story: lady was telling me about how there was a protest to take down some Confederate statue or something and a bunch of "redneck" from across the state and Oklahoma showed up with guns to stop it.

Last edited:
I've been in Dallas for a few days and will be in Austin in a few more days (I've got my M95 mask).

People here are super friendly and polite but damn, the education level just seems so much lower on average. Like I said, very nice, welcoming people but they just seem to be "simple."

Lady was telling me about how there was a protest to take down some Confederate statue or something and a bunch of "redneck" from across the state and Oklahoma showed up with guns to stop it.
Well, it’s Texas sooooooooo

Reactions: pink shizzle
There is a generally accepted correlation between obesity and catching the dead from the Rona. Those fatties need to wear a mask
The fat boy chorus is in danger of self infection. My gosh, make the dumb stop. Please.

If that guy gets the Corona, I hope he sues the living **** out of all of those hillbillies.
That was my question. If people behave like that and someone dies, should there be some recourse?

I mean it would be hard to prove that those particular spittle-flinging idiots were the cause. But it's perfectly clear that they are willfully increasing a known risk.

Let's suppose the masked guy catches COVID and dies. And suppose we test the hotdogs and it can be shown that they were infectious at the time they behaved in this reckless fashion.

As I have mentioned before, we do sometimes punish people for misbehaving even when their misbehavior hasn't demonstrably hurt anyone. Like people who are stopped for drunk driving, for example.

We punish that behavior because it probabilistically causes harm. Isn't this the same sort of thing?

I don’t understand why mask wearing got associated with communism?

This is such a solvable problem. You can either wear a mask or get a simple tattoo on your forehead to identify as someone that doesn’t want to wear a mask. We will offer you that freedom, but if anyone with a tattoo shows up at the hospital they will be refused medical attention.

The REPUBLICAN governor just mandated the wearing of masks or face a $250 fine.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/02/texas-mask-order-greg-abbott-coronavirus/

Gov. Greg Abbott orders Texans in most counties to wear masks in public

Abbott previously resisted calls for such an order and at one point banned local governments from requiring masks. First-time violators will be issued a warning, though repeat offenders could be fined up to $250.

BY PATRICK SVITEK JULY 2, 2020UPDATED: 5 PM

REPUBLISH
Abbott%20June%2016%20press%20AAS%20RBB%20TT%2001.jpg

Gov. Greg Abbott's latest order requires Texans living in counties with more than 20 COVID-19 cases to wear a face covering over the nose and mouth while in a business or other building open to the public, as well as outdoor public spaces, whenever social distancing is not possible. Photo credit: Ricardo B. Brazziell/Pool/American-Statesman
Gov. Greg Abbott issued a statewide mask mandate Thursday as Texas scrambles to get its coronavirus surge under control.

The order requires Texans living in counties with more than 20 coronavirus cases to wear a face covering over the nose and mouth while in a business or other building open to the public, as well as outdoor public spaces, whenever social distancing is not possible. But it provides several exceptions, including for children who are younger than 10 years old, people who have a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask, people who are eating or drinking, and people who are exercising outdoors.

The mask order goes into effect at 12:01 p.m. Friday. It immediately applies to all Texas counties, but counties with 20 or fewer active cases can be exempted — if they opt out. County judges must submit an application to be exempted to the Texas Division of Emergency Management. TDEM will list the counties that have opted out on its website.

Later Thursday, in an interview with Univision in Dallas, Abbott also signaled he might be rethinking plans to open the state's public schools for in-person classes this fall, after state officials said last month that it would be safe.

It’s like wearing a mask means you have to admit that this is worse than the flu and is not a hoax. And, damn it, they are not going to do that, not unlike being also incapable of admitting Trump is unfit for office.

It’s like wearing a mask means you have to admit that this is worse than the flu and is not a hoax. And, damn it, they are not going to do that, not unlike being also incapable of admitting Trump is unfit for office.
Hi, I was one who didn't think this was a big deal...thought it was another MSM scare tactic like SARS, H1N1, et al.

I was wrong. I wear a mask EVERYWHERE!

Hi, I was one who didn't think this was a big deal...thought it was another MSM scare tactic like SARS, H1N1, et al.

I was wrong. I wear a mask EVERYWHERE!
SARS and MERS were absolutely NOT scare tactics. They were both much more deadly than this one.

We lucked out because they had a lower R0 and people weren't infectious before becoming symptomatic.

If MERS were as transmissible as this virus, we'd still be recovering from that magnitude of disaster.

MERS had a death rate around 35%.

Think about that.

SARS and MERS were absolutely NOT scare tactics. They were both much more deadly than this one.

We lucked out because they had a lower R0 and people weren't infectious before becoming symptomatic.

If MERS were as transmissible as this virus, we'd still be recovering from that magnitude of disaster.

MERS had a death rate around 35%.

Think about that.
Let me ask you this, were you, personally ever concerned with MERS?

Let me ask you this, were you, personally ever concerned with MERS?
No. But why is that a point worth making?

The FACTS are that SARS and MERS deserved the attention they got. They were not hoaxes. They were not fear-mongered. To say otherwise just feeds into the anti-science message we hear too often.

We dodged 2 deadly bullets through luck (that they weren't more contagious) and hard work (by trackers and so on).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT