ADVERTISEMENT

Interactions with Famous People

Cougar63

HR Heisman
Oct 4, 2004
Omaha, NE
The “who do you look like” thread made me think of a story I have.

In 2007 I did the Disney College Program (“internship” with Disney that allows them to pay people minimum pay for the same work as the people they already underpay). The day before our program started, the person I was assigned to share a room with and I met in Orlando to get acquainted. We ended up at Downtown Disney before it got renovated. Walking around as a 19 year old (two days shy of my 20th) was fun, we did the Explorers Club or whatever and had a blast. It was dark and when we were coming out of there, we had a guy approach us and ask us to take a picture of him and his wife by a fountain. When he came back for his phone or camera, not sure, I realized he had a huge ring on. Then I realized it was a Super Bowl ring. Then, he walked around the corner and into the light.

It was Hines Ward.

Buddy and I were geeked.

I had Bob Cummings ask what the score of a basketball game was while leaving the Fieldhouse.
And while sitting in the EPB hallways, Anthony Burgess (A Clockwork Orange) asked us if we knew what time it was:)

Were sitting behind home plate at a Dodger game and wife noticed the guy next to us had a giant ring on. Turned out to be Steve Yeager. She got her glove signed.

Was sitting in a bar at the Burbank airport when Paulie Shore and some bimbo sat next to me. I told him that I knew his cousin in DC. He looked at me like I was crazy, said he didn't have a cousin in DC. I went back to my book. Not sure if he just didn't know the guy or if the guy was lying. Paulie was supposed to be dating Tiffani Amber Thiessen at the time but that clearly wasn't her with him on the was to Vegas. Story a few weeks later said they had broken up.

Two of the more notable, both in Iowa City.

Spent a night partying with Adam Sandler, before he was anything. He was on the MTV show Remote Control and MTV sent him to Iowa City to be the MC of the Riverfest Battle of the Bands. I was on the music committee and was chosen to be his host as I was a fan of the show and was the only one that knew who he was. We basically spent the night at the back of the bar drinking Budweiser until we had to go back on stage. He barely said ten words to me all night and seemed really shy. I was stunned just over a year later when he was a new cast member on SNL. This was at the bar across Burlington from what is now The Graduate hotel. Can't remember the name of the bar and that was probably the only time I was there.

The following year my roommate came home while driving the shuttle for the Holiday Inn (now The Graduate) and asked us who wanted to meet Poison. We had nothing to do so we jumped in the Holiday Inn van and went to the Field House as the band had a court reserved. We were able to hang out at their court because my roommate was their driver. Eventually they asked if any of us wanted to play. We played some but spent more time on the sideline with Bret Michaels. After about an hour or so we all got in the van together to drop them at the hotel. When we pulled up there was a bunch of junior high groupies begging for autographs. I was standing next to Rikki Rockett when one asked him to sign her ass. He looks at me and says "What are you gonna do, life of a rockstar." They asked where we were partying that night (night off from shows) and acted as though they were going to show up (spoiler: they didn't). Really cool guys and I was not really a fan before that night.

When I lived in Joliet, a buddy of mine was friends with Tom Thayer (they played football at Joliet Catholic together). Thayer and Mike Tomczak (who was from Calumet City) had a restaurant/bar in Joliet called T-n-Ts. Jim and I would go over there about every other Friday after work.

You would see a bunch of the early 90s Bears, not all at once, and any other NFL players from the area. Plus a random Cub/WS/Black Hawk/Bull would show up.

Met a bunch of the 85 Bears, including Ditka, former Raider Scott Davis (from Plainfield, largest person I've ever met), Mark Grace, Maddux/Glavine (once when the Braves were in town), BJ Armstrong, Horace Grant, a bunch of others.

I shook hands with John Edwards....when his wife was dying of cancer and he was banging a broad and impregnating her! CSB.
You shook John Edwards’ hand while he was banging a broad? Why would he shake your hand? Why would you…never mind…

Took a leak next to Dennis Hopper at the Albuquerque airport when I was in high school. Didn't strike up a conversation with him because, honestly, I didn't realize who he was at the moment and we were in a bathroom.

My fraternity brothers and I drank beers with Dimebag Darrell at a metal club in Arlington, TX

Met Tony Boselli at a club in Jacksonville Beach. Wasn't exactly the nicest dude.

Got introduced to Jim Furyk at a restaurant in Ponte Vedra.

Met Bobby Bowden at a North Texas Seminole Club event when I was in high school.

Had a couple other encounters with famous people but those stick out the most.

Caddied for Doc Rivers when he was playing for the Knicks. He was in Indy for one of the Pacers playoff series, but not playing since he was rehabbing an injury.

Was working on a luxury apartment complex to condo conversion project. It was a popular place for local athletes to have their “in season“ home. Met Peyton Manning. He insisted on giving all the guys on my crew cases of Gatorade. He had a couple hundred cases in his apartment.

Reactions: lucas80
I chatted with Brad Delp (lead singer of Boston) at The Channel nightclub I wanna say ‘91 or ‘92. I was pissed drunk. I’m sure he was annoyed, but my recollection was he seemed pretty cool about it.

One night in the mid to late 2000s, I was at the Sports Column after an Iowa game. I went with a couple of friends and then ended up going back with a few different ones later in the night.

I stumble into Brian Ferentz who either was just done playing in the NFL or just landed as a position coach somewhere. Anyway, I had enough to drink and wanted to pick his ear about Ken O'Keefe.

You see O'Keefe was our shitty OC during those days. He was the one that all of us complained about (they brought in Greg Davis shortly after). Somehow I kept Brian's attention for what felt like 90 mins, I even remember his wife/girlfriend being pissed he was talking football. Not sure how I did it as I'd been drinking all f'ing day and had to be slurring like a SOB. He answered my questions as politically as he could and we said our goodbyes

I never knew back then he would be the modern day O'Keefe, but I would have kicked him in the shin if I did.

A couple buddies and I flew out to LA to party with friends in 1996, a friend of ours 6'0 Blonde bombshell asked us if we wanted to go to a Birthday party with her. We show up really early at this tiny dive bar, and the bouncer asked her for the password. We get in and there was only a few people in there. We walk up to the bar and she says "Hey Leo, meet my friends from Iowa!" So I met Leo DiCaprio. He just finished with Titanic.

We asked whose birthday party it was and she said Jam Master Jay. The rest of the night was spent slowly walking around and mingling with the stars. I met Alanis Morrisette and probably could have scored. Mighty Mighty Bosstones were kind of who we spent the most time with. I was out in the back patio and at the time I looked just like Dave Navarro, sure as shit he was sitting about 10 feet from me with a bunch of models around him. They were pointing at me and laughing and he looked down and gave a nod. Beastie Boys were there as well but we couldn't get close enough to talk to them. I'll always regret that...

A few years later our friend moved to Chicago and worked at the Dragon Room which was owned by David Schwimmer. I spent a few nights partying with him over the next few months. It was actually cheaper for me to party in Chicago than Iowa City because she gave me a card that got me free entry and drinks to all the clubs.

Two years ago I was at the Four Seasons in Maui on St. Patricks Day. I was working out in the gym and there was only 3 other people in there. One was an old couple, the guy had long stringy gray hair and beard. I thought it was weird that they were staying there. There was another guy working out that I recognized as an actor but not sure who, anyway I got done lifting and grabbed what I thought was my cell phone off the shelf and headed back to the room. When I got to the room the phone started playing music, I realized I grabbed the wrong phone and went back to the gym.

I walked up to the old guy and asked if it was his. He looked at me and said "Nahhh man it isn't mine" I instantly recognized him as Kurt Russell. Then I looked down at the lady and it was Goldie Hawn. They were there for his birthday and over the next few days I saw them all the time. He was really cool and personable and was taking selfies with anyone that asked (I didn't).

I was home in Mason City and they were filming a movie there. I was in a bar shooting pool and the actors all came in and sat down, I was introduced to David Proval (Richie Aprile in The Sopranos) and Karen Black. When my friend told her I lived in San Francisco she grabbed me and took me to a little table. We talked for about 45 minutes. I could have hit it that night as she was all about me, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I've had drinks with Rob Schneider a couple times in San Francisco. We lived next door to a comedy club and he was always in there trying out new material. He graduated with a good friend of ours so we had a common friend. He was in Des Moines 6 years ago and my wife ran into him at Whole Foods and he took a photo holding our son, when she handed him over she said "Go to Daddy!" He got a good chuckle out of it.

I saw a ton of actors around SF when I lived there but didn't engage them in any way.

Edit: Forgot to say Ashton Kutcher. A buddy was dating a girl that graduated with him and we ran into him at the Sports Column this was in 1998 and he was just starting That 70's show. Nobody recognized him and he was all alone so he hung out with us for a few hours talking. Great dude.

TLDR: Leo DiCaprio, David Schwimmer, Kurt Russell, Karen Black, Ashton Kutcher.

I sat next to MLB 3B Bill Madlock at an Athletic Banquet
Head Table. He won 4 National League Batting Titles and
had a career batting average of .305 and played for Cubs
and Pirates

He was the guest speaker so I got to talk to him while we
were eating. We had a great conversation and he was
a humble guy who loved baseball.

Met George W Bush back in the early 90s at a game when he was part owner of the Rangers while his dad was president. Easily the most infamous person.

College presented a ton of opportunities for local famous people because of what I did. Several interactions with Hayden, Dr. Tom, Ferentz, Gable, Tom Brands, and Redacted at different times. On stage with the ESPN Gameday crew. Did a photo shoot with Dr. Skorton right after he took office as university President. Worked an event where I spent a good amount of time conversing with Sandy Boyd when I didn’t even realize it was him.

Played Golf a few times with Roger Brown (ABA Pacers), He was a Wednesday regular at Sarah Shank golf course in Indy, Truly nice gentleman that cancer took too soon.
Met several Hawkeye celebs at Golf outings, On that note Keith Duncan is a pretty impressive golfer, His kicking translates to the links, Long and straight.

Last edited:
I met and shook hands with President Ronald Reagan
at a political rally. We conversed briefly and I listened
attentively to his speech. He was a good communicator
who spoke with a genuine concern for America.

Met Alias-time Jennifer Garner at the Hard Rock pool. She and her friends had the cabana next to ours. Stunning and very nice.

Ernie Els, Poulter, Woosnam, and some other euro PGA guys - Met them on 9/12. They were in town for the Amex event that was cancelled, and they couldn't fly out. They were good to hang with, and all could pound beers. Woosnam in particular.

I had a chat with Iowa Hawkeye QB Chuck Long
at the Airliner in Iowa City. It was a hot Summer
day and the beer was refreshing. His roommate
in college was a friend of mine.

I chatted with Brad Delp (lead singer of Boston) at The Channel nightclub I wanna say ‘91 or ‘92. I was pissed drunk. I’m sure he was annoyed, but my recollection was he seemed pretty cool about it.
I'm friends with Rob Delp on facebook

10498041_10203780246098521_3181723566818738572_o.jpg

I have had too many to tell all the stories. And yes a bit more than taking a piss next to them.

Michael Douglas (drag raced on Hollywood Blvd)
Scotty Pippin (I worked at a children's hospital in Chicago while Bulls were huge)
Mike Tyson (grew up in the same town)
Bernie Kosar (he bought me a bottle of crown. Have a picture. Will post if I can find. )
Tony Dorsett (he almost picked up my bill at a restaurant)

All true.

Spent a week with John Wayne, Jim Hutton, David Janson when they were making the movie, The Green Beret, they used our C-130 for the week, I think my job was go-fer to the PX, keeping the fridge supplied with beer. Spent many hours with Dave Wanstedt , and few meals with Mike Ditka while at Pitt. I knew Ken O'keefe when he was back in Meadville. Pa. and then met him again in 2005 in Iowa. Chatted with Brenda Lee for an hour on a flight from Tenn to Pittsburgh, she was headed to NYC.

Last edited:
My uncle went to high school with Bobby Hansen. I got to talk to him at the state fair the night he got a public intox.

I get to hang out at Dominique Wilkins's house from time to time.

Hi @Rudolph.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT