ADVERTISEMENT

interesting 1A cases today...

Aardvark86

HR Heisman
Jan 23, 2018
So today, Scotus hears a case challenging government arm-twisting of social media companies regarding their content moderation policies, and a case challenging government officials jawboning third parties to boycott business arrangements with another private party. As usual, lots of procedural issues, but I may actually listen to these.

Reactions: Finance85
So today, Scotus hears a case challenging government arm-twisting of social media companies regarding their content moderation policies, and a case challenging government officials jawboning third parties to boycott business arrangements with another private party. As usual, lots of procedural issues, but I may actually listen to these.
Do you have a subscription to SCOTUS Radio?

I absolutely agree that government should not be able to strong arm free speech. The issue I have is how do you define pressure/strong arming? My apprehension is SCOTUS will fall back on their standard Congress needs to make a law mantra. I don't want either party defining free speech issues at this time.

I'm not sure I want a SCOTUS to the right of the one from the Citizen's United ruling to determine a definition of free speech, either.

I absolutely agree that government should not be able to strong arm free speech. The issue I have is how do you define pressure/strong arming? My apprehension is SCOTUS will fall back on their standard Congress needs to make a law mantra. I don't want either party defining free speech issues at any time. Never, ever, ever.
FIFY

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
One man's strong arming is another man's attempt to put a disclaimer on posts saying it's okay to eat horse paste.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
The liberal justices seem to favor the government so far.

I'm always going to pay most attention to Gorsuch in purely Constitutional cases.

So today, Scotus hears a case challenging government arm-twisting of social media companies regarding their content moderation policies.

I for one think it’s cool that the Court has abandoned its prior standing decisions and is now issuing advisory opinions.

They didn't say that. That's a mischaracterization. Congress must decide on the rules for disqualification for VPOTUS and POTUS.
LOL, sure. The SCOTUS bowed to Trump instead of having the courage to be a co-equal branch.

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky
No, I was stating what SCOTUS ruled. Jeesh.
I know you were, and the fact that you, me and the avg American voter knows Congress won’t act on this like SCOTUS wants, makes what they’re saying to be intellectually dishonest at best.

Will they revisit a case like a previous Court had to do regarding the Brown decision and put pressure on Congress to act, or will they just wipe their hands and state their job is done.

Listen for the volume of disinformation in the Mizzou case.
Many allegations that have turned out to be demonstrably false, but still being left in the record...

Seemed all the justices except Alito were favoring the government.
Yes, it did. When it comes to government control, sometimes both sides agree, but for different reasons, but all for the alleged reason on safety. It was pointed out at least once, but not very forcefully, is the Feds have a bully pulpit. If they don't agree with certain speech, all they have to do is get in front of the podium and say so.

Sometimes the Justices will fool us though. Sometimes it seems they want to hear the best argument against how they might personally be leaning, so they have a better perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT