ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting article on Army's selection of new rifles...

Gee, only been waiting 35 years. They were talking about replacing the M-16s in the late 80s. I didn't think it would take that long considering how quickly and easily they replace everything else.

I still recall the day I was first issued a M-16. I had never seen or even heard of one, and my first thoughtwhen I saw it was that it was a toy that we would just use for training before we got a real rifle. I gotta say though that even though it was hard to keep clean and sometimes stubborn that I came to love my M-16 in the Republic of South Viet Nam.

Gee, only been waiting 35 years. They were talking about replacing the M-16s in the late 80s. I didn't think it would take that long considering how quickly and easily they replace everything else.
I got drafted in 1970 and they were just phasing the M14 out to be replaced by the M16.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
I got drafted in 1970 and they were just phasing the M14 out to be replaced by the M16.

My dad carried them all 3 tours in Vietnam. Had them all through the 70s and 80s. He hated them, other than the weight, compared to the M-14.

We were moving from the M-16A1 to the M-16A2 early in my career. Then to the M4 variants the last 20 years. They've been actively testing replacements at various times almost my entire career. This is LONG overdue.

Reactions: h-hawk
My dad carried them all 3 tours in Vietnam. Had them all through the 70s and 80s. He hated them, other than the weight, compared to the M-14.

We were moving from the M-16A1 to the M-16A2 early in my career. Then to the M4 variants the last 20 years. They've been actively testing replacements at various times almost my entire career. This is LONG overdue.
This is the part that intrigued me the: M157 Next-Generation Squad Weapon-Fire Control (NGSW-FC). Pretty advanced stuff.

Reactions: h-hawk
So I can soon buy the civilian version at Scheels?
Now!

mcx-spear-commercial-web-left.jpg

https://www.sigsauer.com/mcx-spear.html

Cousin spent his tour inside the wire in fire bases. Gladly got to keep his M14 since he didn't have to hump it. Can't blame him...who in their right mind would want to make a switch like that during a war.

Polymer cartridges anyone?

True Velocity’s revolutionary 6.8mm cartridge design was recently selected by the U.S. Army to continue development in the FINAL phase of the Next Generation Squad Weapon program.

ADVERTISEMENT