ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Assignment in Iowa City--Pretend that you're a black slave...

Many kids today have no of this:

noun
noun: resiliency
  1. 1.
    the capacity to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness.
    "the often remarkable resilience of so many British institutions"

Many kids today have no of this:

noun
noun: resiliency
  1. 1.
    the capacity to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness.
    "the often remarkable resilience of so many British institutions"

Lol. Kind of like the 76ers (yes I'm aware you can't name a current player on the team).

I don’t see the problem with the assignment.

I hope it isn’t the four full complete grammatically correct sentences requirement...maybe the problem is it had to be explicitly declared.

The district did and the teacher has been suspended. The assignment has been pulled.
I don’t see the problem with the assignment.

I hope it isn’t the four full complete grammatically correct sentences requirement...maybe the problem is it had to be explicitly declared.

I guess I don't really understand the outrage here. I think the assignment came from a good place from the teacher. Trying to get kids to empathize and reflect on the challenges faced by people who were enslaved.

I realize it is a sensitive topic. But, if you want people to talk about it and grow, then you can't shut down that discussion when it is uncomfortable. Or else, everyone will be forced to continue to avoid the issue.

I think the term black slaves seems pejorative in this day and age.
Face value I don't see a issue with a thought exercise but if wording is what's being criticized I sorta get it but don't think it's any crisis. Seems redundant if it's clear that you're talking about slavery in America you're talking about the African slaves who are ancestors to a lot of black Americans so you wouldn't need to specify "black" slaves. But idk.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I think the term black slaves seems pejorative in this day and age.

I assume the classroom is populated by a variety of races so the scope was limited to the unique experience of a Black slave being freed regardless if the student writing happens to be white. There’s teaching value here no matter the race of the student. I think there’s value to it for members of this board.

I genuinely don’t understand the objections. There must be more to the story.

Last edited:
I guess I don't really understand the outrage here. I think the assignment came from a good place from the teacher. Trying to get kids to empathize and reflect on the challenges faced by people who were enslaved.

I realize it is a sensitive topic. But, if you want people to talk about it and grow, then you can't shut down that discussion when it is uncomfortable. Or else, everyone will be forced to continue to avoid the issue.

Agreed. ^^ I could envision the possibility of an over zealous teacher potentially making such an assignment uncomfortable and not a good academic pursuit depending on how they might "steer" the exercise. But I didn't get that out of this article/example.

Teachers trying to get students to understand things from the perspective of the subject(s) is a common technique and not a wrong one IMO. I am not seeing the problem here. I suppose that is proof positive to some then that I am part of the problem. :)

Teachers trying to get students to understand things from the perspective of the subject(s) is a common technique and not a wrong one IMO. I am not seeing the problem here. I suppose that is proof positive to some then that I am part of the problem. :)

Empathy is sorely lacking in today’s society so an assignment requiring it seems appropriate. But the genuine value is having students understand change has both positive and negative challenges attached. I don’t know the motivation of the educator here but I see great potential value in such an assignment. Freedom was certainly an exciting and exhilarating time for slaves but also accompanied with great concern.

Empathy is sorely lacking in today’s society so an assignment requiring it seems appropriate. But the genuine value is having students understand change has both positive and negative challenges attached. I don’t know the motivation of the educator here but I see great potential value in such an assignment. Freedom was certainly an exciting and exhilarating time for slaves but also accompanied with great concern.

True. ^^ This story reminds of something that came to my attention a few years back...someone that I know well spent some time with an organization that was helping to free young women that were essentially sex slaves.

The motivations of the person that I know were as pure as the driven snow, she just wanted to help free people who were trapped in a form of modern day slavery. BUT...her actual experience was quite different than anything that she anticipated...as some/many of the subjects did not want to be set free, or at least

What? Of course any free person would instantly recognize that it is better to be free than to be enslaved...BUT...that logic didn't hold for the formerly, or still currently, enslaved people. In many cases they resisted the efforts to gain their freedom as they only knew enslavement and were actually afraid of being responsible for their own lives and well being. While we would recognize the horror of being "kept" in exchange for their "work"...they didn't.

They were often fearful about the great unknown and expressed a preference to remain in their current situation. Egads! But, when you approach it from their experience...it did make sense. It was a difficult thing for my friend to adjust to and the work that she did was not at all like what she envisioned...yet hopefully still worthwhile and productive.

In order to help these people she had to, in some form, cause herself to see things from their perspective. That's what it seems like this teacher is doing...given the story that we know. These days it seems like we only get a partial understanding, at best, from media reports, so who really knows.

Reactions: Pinehawk and Nipigu
True. ^^ This story reminds of something that came to my attention a few years back...someone that I know well spent some time with an organization that was helping to free young women that were essentially sex slaves.

The motivations of the person that I know were as pure as the driven snow, she just wanted to help free people who were trapped in a form of modern day slavery. BUT...her actual experience was quite different than anything that she anticipated...as some/many of the subjects did not want to be set free, or at least

What? Of course any free person would instantly recognize that it is better to be free than to be enslaved...BUT...that logic didn't hold for the formerly, or still currently, enslaved people. In many cases they resisted the efforts to gain their freedom as they only knew enslavement and were actually afraid of being responsible for their own lives and well being. While we would recognize the horror of being "kept" in exchange for their "work"...they didn't.

They were often fearful about the great unknown and expressed a preference to remain in their current situation. Egads! But, when you approach it from their experience...it did make sense. It was a difficult thing for my friend to adjust to and the work that she did was not at all like what she envisioned...yet hopefully still worthwhile and productive.

In order to help these people she had to, in some form, cause herself to see things from their perspective. That's what it seems like this teacher is doing...given the story that we know. These days it seems like we only get a partial understanding, at best, from media reports, so who really knows.

I don’t think any American slave wanted to remain a slave or return to slavery. Yet the transition was not without challenges for the Black or southern White. It’s a topic worth teaching.

I don’t think any American slave wanted to remain a slave or return to slavery. Yet the transition was not without challenges for the Black or southern White. It’s a topic worth teaching.
Agreed without resorting to this type of assignment.

"The way it is in 2020 right now, when it comes to race, you have to be very careful of what you can say and not say," Gamez said.

tenor.gif

Reactions: GOHOX69
This seems insane. I can't possibly see what is a firing offense about this.

These kids are teenagers. If you gave this assignment to six year olds, I'd say it might be needlessly traumatic. But a high school age kid should be made to handle such things.

How can you possibly teach the truth of slavery, but insist that people don't think about it? This assignment seems like a perfect way to start to show that the legacy of slavery didn't end with the Emancipation Proclamation.

Honestly, at this point, I pretty much don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt when it comes to sincerity of outrage. I pretty much start with the assumption that everyone is trying to go viral at this point and get their piece of the spotlight...it's the only explanation why this became anything.

This seems insane. I can't possibly see what is a firing offense about this.

These kids are teenagers. If you gave this assignment to six year olds, I'd say it might be needlessly traumatic. But a high school age kid should be made to handle such things.

How can you possibly teach the truth of slavery, but insist that people don't think about it? This assignment seems like a perfect way to start to show that the legacy of slavery didn't end with the Emancipation Proclamation.

Honestly, at this point, I pretty much don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt when it comes to sincerity of outrage. I pretty much start with the assumption that everyone is trying to go viral at this point and get their piece of the spotlight...it's the only explanation why this became anything.

I agree with you, but would add another reason why "outrage" and "offense" are the order of the day. It is a message that "sells' in the media. Drama, no matter how feigned or contrived, is what drives today's media. Too few people will stand and say, "Hey, wait a minute..." and not react via some sort of a cancellation. (BTW...it sounds like the fine feathered friends at the ICCSD did exactly that...provided there is not more to the story than what is in the public record.)

Somebody was offended...headline material. Somebody had their feelings hurt...somebody else then has to pay with their career/future, etc. Gone are the days where kids were encouraged in some form to, "Rub some dirt on it and get back in there...". We're a bunch of softies driven by overwrought feelings and emotions way too often.

ADVERTISEMENT