ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting comments from Stanley; On pace to break Long's Career 74 TD Record

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Keep in mind, too, that Nate has only thrown 15 career INT's; Chuck Long had 52 interceptions as a Hawkeye.

Also, is Nate indirectly talking about Fant and that maybe, just maybe, the coaches know what the heck they are doing?

From HawkCentral.com

“You have to know that our fans care about us as much as we care about winning, too,” he says. “Just realize that not all the information is there for them."

“Sometimes, there’s things that you know that the public doesn’t know,” Stanley says. “They’re stating what they think. Everybody’s entitled to their own opinion. At the same time, a lot of people don’t realize everything that goes into a decision or a play. It’s always kind of funny to read something when somebody says something that’s totally wrong."

Entering the bowl season, all Stanley has done is throw for 2,639 yards. He ranks third in the Big Ten Conference with 23 touchdown passes — seven more than Penn State's Trace McSorley, eight more than Northwestern's Clayton Thorson.

His four 300-yard games in 25 starts as a Hawkeye are four more than C.J. Beathard, a third-round NFL Draft pick in 2017, had in 28 starts at Iowa. His career 49-to-15 touchdown-to-interception ratio dwarfs that of revered Kirk Ferentz-era quarterbacks Drew Tate (61-to-34) and Ricky Stanzi (56-to-31).

With one touchdown pass in the Outback Bowl, Stanley will break a tie with the great Chuck Long for most TD passes in a two-year span (49) by a Hawkeye quarterback. With one more year, Stanley could surpass Long's 74 career TD passes, an Iowa record once thought untouchable. (And by the way: Long, the 1985 Heisman Trophy runner-up, threw 52 interceptions as a Hawkeye.)

LINK TO FULL STORY: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...b-nfl-clutch-moments-kirk-ferentz/2217979002/

Hard to throw INTs when you throw to your checkdown all the time,
or overthrow your receiver, and everyone else in the vicinity, by 10 yds.
All the time? That's a bit harsh, you don't happen into those type of passing yards and TD's without some decent talent! Sure, Nate has some shortcoming and can definitely improve his game, but don't make him out to be another Jake C.

This just popped in to my head and if I thought about it longer I might not type this and realize it's a stupid question, but I don't want to think.

I wonder what the average yardage for TD pass would be for these guys. I'm not trying to bash anyone or pump up anyone, but would be curious.

Or would it matter?

Reactions: David1979
This just popped in to my head and if I thought about it longer I might not type this and realize it's a stupid question, but I don't want to think.

I wonder what the average yardage for TD pass would be for these guys. I'm not trying to bash anyone or pump up anyone, but would be curious.

Or would it matter?
Average yards per TD pass? I'm sure PFF or another stats company tracks this, I'd be interested as well.

All the time? That's a bit harsh, you don't happen into those type of passing yards and TD's without some decent talent! Sure, Nate has some shortcoming and can definitely improve his game, but don't make him out to be another Jake C.

Not all the time.
But much more frequently than Chuck may have.

Or would it matter?
If I recall correctly a TD is worth 6 pts whether it’s from 1 yard out or 99 yards out.....so it really shouldn’t matter imho.

The frustrations that many of us experience with Stanley I believe is a matter of expectations. He is a fine QB, it's just that he is in such a visible spot that everyone expects this guy to produce the 1% improvement in team performance that would would eliminate the 4-losses in every season. i.e. if the dumbass had not thrown that pass against PSU, or his quads had 1 extra fast twitch fiber to get us that first down against wisky, etc. That's unfair (though I've been guilty of wanting to kick Stan in the nads also) because the fact is that all 4 losses were manufactured by the braintrust on on the sidelines (to be fair, the PU game was a ref-job.)

Stanley is a good enough QB for Iowa to win a b1g championship, it's other (small) pieces that need to pick up the slack to transform 8-4 into something special. The small pieces being-- ability to rush for 1-yard in short-yardage situations at a 90% clip no matter how good the opponent's DL (this is a very reasonable expectation of any team), punting to flip the field, not missing short FGs, and also being mentally tough enough not to require perfect execution all the time.

Finally, KF is the master of digging deep to produce defeat after the game is won -- this must stop. Hopefully, the NE game of 2018 will serve as a boost to everyone involved.

The QB experts are out again...nice! You emerge like those shadowy things in the movie Ghost, who come out of the darkness and drag wicked souls to hell. Good to keep your claws on Stanley. He definitely missed some key throws this year, no doubt. The inaccuracy was frustrating at times. But he made a lot of great throws too, you see, that's precisely how he accumulated those stats. And the IT factor showed up to me the first time when he brought the Hawks back against ISU last year. Remember that 5 TD comeback win? He also showed the IT factor against OSU last year, and in a few of our wins this year that proved not-so-close because he played pretty damn well. Even in the Purdue game he brought us back from multiple two-score deficits to give us a late lead (imagine if the D had held it!). But he missed some throws, and had that crappy PSU game, and couldn't overcome two late fumbles against NW. How he may end up the greatest TD thrower in Hawkeye history is a shocker, right? Make sure you e-mail all the NFL evaluators and tell them what you really see! I'm sure your analysis will help them overcome any positive vibes they may have developed over Nate's two years of play, that silly lifetime TD-INT ratio, and 16 career wins to date. Those NFL GM's aren't as clever as you guys...

Keep in mind, too, that Nate has only thrown 15 career INT's; Chuck Long had 52 interceptions as a Hawkeye.

Also, is Nate indirectly talking about Fant and that maybe, just maybe, the coaches know what the heck they are doing?

From HawkCentral.com

“You have to know that our fans care about us as much as we care about winning, too,” he says. “Just realize that not all the information is there for them."

“Sometimes, there’s things that you know that the public doesn’t know,” Stanley says. “They’re stating what they think. Everybody’s entitled to their own opinion. At the same time, a lot of people don’t realize everything that goes into a decision or a play. It’s always kind of funny to read something when somebody says something that’s totally wrong."

Entering the bowl season, all Stanley has done is throw for 2,639 yards. He ranks third in the Big Ten Conference with 23 touchdown passes — seven more than Penn State's Trace McSorley, eight more than Northwestern's Clayton Thorson.

His four 300-yard games in 25 starts as a Hawkeye are four more than C.J. Beathard, a third-round NFL Draft pick in 2017, had in 28 starts at Iowa. His career 49-to-15 touchdown-to-interception ratio dwarfs that of revered Kirk Ferentz-era quarterbacks Drew Tate (61-to-34) and Ricky Stanzi (56-to-31).

With one touchdown pass in the Outback Bowl, Stanley will break a tie with the great Chuck Long for most TD passes in a two-year span (49) by a Hawkeye quarterback. With one more year, Stanley could surpass Long's 74 career TD passes, an Iowa record once thought untouchable. (And by the way: Long, the 1985 Heisman Trophy runner-up, threw 52 interceptions as a Hawkeye.)

LINK TO FULL STORY: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...b-nfl-clutch-moments-kirk-ferentz/2217979002/
The game today is much different than when Chuck played. Back when Chuck played the rules were not so friendly towards receivers. By the way, who in there right mind would take Nate over Hawkeye legend Chuck Long? You are good at starting polls, so start one between Chuck and Nate and see who wins that poll. It is like trying to compare Coach Ferentz conference record to Coach Fry's. Fry coached when there were no unbalanced schedules, which make it difficult to compare apples to apples.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fan In Black
It’s not hard to throw INTS when you check down a lot, just look at the NFL, it happens all the time. Second of all there was a story on I think, Dear old gold, maybe this is the same story I didn’t click on the link...Referencing Stanley and comparing him to Chuck long. The problem is some of these fellas you can’t make comparisons to their idols they just don’t like it.

I don’t really care what some people in this thread have to say & there are others I do respect their opinion. With that said; Stanley threw the ball down the field quite a bit and he was pretty good until his thumb injury. He also threw some balls down field that I wish he hadn’t thrown. So to suggest he checked down a lot and didn’t throw downfield is patently false.

Here are two sets of numbers that are a little tougher for people to wiggle away from...

The Great Offesive Guru Hayden Fry And his pupil Chuck long lost 13 games and tied one in Chuck’s 4 years as a stater.

And probably more intriguing to me; in 49 games Chucks team scored 17 or less 16 times...32plus %

Stanley’s team has scored 17 or less 8 times in 25, or 32%...

As an aside that I find super interesting, considering we love to pick apart schedules

In 49 games Chuck played 22 teams with a losing record...a whopping 45%

Stanley?! 7 in 25, soon to be 26...for 28%

The moral of this story is, things are never as good as you remember or as bad as you now think.

Chuck and HF had many putrid offensive outings and played a terrible schedule in comparison.

Give Stanley a break...”it” factor indeed.

If you want to look at how long each TD pass was then you have to look at how far the ball was actually thrown not the distance of the whole play. He could throw a bubble screen behind the line of scrimmage that goes for 60 yards or it could be a ball he threw 50 yards in the air.

The game today is much different than when Chuck played. Back when Chuck played the rules were not so friendly towards receivers. By the way, who in there right mind would take Nate over Hawkeye legend Chuck Long? You are good at starting polls, so start one between Chuck and Nate and see who wins that poll. It is like trying to compare Coach Ferentz conference record to Coach Fry's. Fry coached when there were no unbalanced schedules, which make it difficult to compare apples to apples.

Nope Not really all that hard....I counted it up a while back & Hayden played dramatically more sub 500 teams than Kirk Ferentz has and I mean a crap ton. It almost feels like the proletariat brings up tough to compare stuff when the argument starts slipping away.

With or without an unbalanced schedule the Big 10 & college football is infinitely more difficult now than it was when Hayden coached.

Hayden played an astounding 12 seasons where at least 6 teams had sub .500 records

KF has I believe 5....that’s fairly remarkable. I’m not sure how anyone could argue Hayden’s teams played tougher schedules. In fact I’ll say it stronger....you can’t.

As for Chuck & Nate I have no real opinion right now but I’ll guess we will find out in a few years. But while we are building Chuck Long statues tell about a couple of these games he QB’d....

1985 was a stellar year but as I was reading about our loss to Ohio st who gave up 31 in a 31-28 loss to 6-5-1 Illinois and 12 to 6 loss Wiscy...we scored 13 by the way. I kept reading references to our offense struggling in prior games, especially to good defenses...

Do you have any thoughts on that...?

Here are a couple more...

17-20 vs 6-5 PSU
10-10 vs 7-4-1 Wisconsin
16-17 vs 6-6 MSU
17-23 vs 4-7 Minne
17-6 vs 7-4 Hawaii...

There are a lot more but this was when he was a junior so it seems like a nice time to compare them to Mr. Stanley. How do you think he compares Mr. O’Keefe?

Nope Not really all that hard....I counted it up a while back & Hayden played dramatically more sub 500 teams than Kirk Ferentz has and I mean a crap ton. It almost feels like the proletariat brings up tough to compare stuff when the argument starts slipping away.
What argument is slipping away?

Hard to throw INTs when you throw to your checkdown all the time,
or overthrow your receiver, and everyone else in the vicinity, by 10 yds.
The real Tim Dodge is much more cool than you are- pretty sure these are the type of comments Stanley was talking about- Irony?

What argument is slipping away?

Not just referencing you old friend, nice deflection though...

Let’s get back to Chuck Long and the schedules he played and 17 point or less games he authored...

You said there’s no comparison... I referenced several games in his last two seasons & I’m waiting for you to break them down.

If it had been Stanley this board would have a problem I’m waiting for you to explain why it wasn’t a problem for Chuck?

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
I don't see how Stanley's fewer interceptions can be construed as a negative compared to Long. Preserving possession of the football is tantamount and Stans TD to INT ratio is quite good. There is a strategy to how Stan is coached and plays. He is a different qb than Long, but that doesn't mean he isn't good.

Then ultimately, if this motivates him, it's a good thing?
Glad I could help out.
What have you guys done for Nate lately?
Oh wow! You are Nate's personal football assistant now, offering up scathing unrealistic criticism. Give it a rest Tim. Ridiculous self importance.

Oh wow! You are Nate's personal football assistant now, offering up scathing unrealistic criticism. Give it a rest Tim. Ridiculous self importance.

Unrealistic criticism?
lolwut?
Inaccurate, no confidence, poor vision are unrealistic criticisms?
Oh my.

And that previous post was sarcasm, in case you didn't notice.

Chuck Long's overall record at Iowa 35-13-1, Nate Stanley's record after two seasons at Iowa is 16-9. Chuck is enshrined in the Iowa football Mount Rushmore while Nate (yawn). Individual stats in a team game. The only stat that really matters is wins versus losses. Like I said before, I would take Chuck Long any day over Nate Stanley and it is not even close. I have had the pleasure of watching both play. Forgot to add that Chuck was the QB for the last Iowa team to win the conference championship outright.

Last edited:
Chuck Long's overall record at Iowa 35-13-1, Nate Stanley's record after two seasons at Iowa is 16-9. Chuck is enshrined in the Iowa football Mount Rushmore while Nate (yawn). Individual stats in a team game. The only state that really matters is wins versus losses. Like I said before, I would take Chuck Long any day over Nate Stanley and it is not even close. I have had the pleasure of watching both play.

Dude I expected you to go there to begin with that’s why I listed his losses...Stanley’s career isnt over so if he ends up with the same or less losses as Chuck, then we can say they’re the same correct?

Also please address the poor schedules that Chuck played...

Hopefully he improves into his senior year because like him or not, he's going to be the guy.
Also hopefully: Iowa begins to recruit a different type of player going into the next decade.

ADVERTISEMENT