ADVERTISEMENT

DEFENSE Developments in IU game, Who Starts Moving Forward (Riley or Hankins, etc) & INJURY Updates

I gotta be honest: I stopped reading. (No offense to anyone!) Not trying to support or attack anyone, but if an older player is "even" with a younger player, it doesn't take much sense to realize the better player is the younger guy. You had another year (or more) of training, food, knowledge, and support, and you're even... you're leavin. That is all.
Thank you for your input. I quit reading him as well. He has 'intellectual integrity'!....how can you compete with that, LOL.
The sorry fact is that I'm the one who has supplied a supporting argument. Why don't you actually supply some supporting reasoning. You've supplies one quote from Ferentz. I've supplied evidence and reasoning based on what we've heard from camp AND from the choices that have been made by the coaches based on who's been playing.

Rather than keeping on topic ... you're replying with memes, statements in caps-lock, and everything but a cogent argument. I understand that you've simply been trolling me ... and I've been playing along because I've enjoyed it. However, the weakness of your rebuttals has gotten tiring.
What was your supporting argument? That you are some sort of physicist so that makes your misinformation somehow more credible? Or that you have intellectual integrity, so that makes you less likely to be wrong or lie? How was adding that information even relevant to the discussion? You haven't provided anything (except a flat out lie that Colbert beat out Welch and Hockaday) that refutes my original statement. I've seen you use your circular arguments with people many times, and like I said, your MO is to bury them with so many conflicting statements that they can't keep up, or they give up. Just like these politicians and their mouthpieces do. Go back and read my original statement and tell me how it is wrong. I didn't speak in 'absolutes', I said their tendency and history, etc. You finding a few examples (and not incredibly relevant ones) over 21 years in no way refutes my statement. You, not I, have tried to subvert the premise on numerous occasions and add additional information not particularly relevant to the 'topic' on numerous occasions, in an attempt to divert and pervert the argument. Save it for someone else. It's okay to be mistaken, Mr. blowhard. Will your 'confidence' allow that? Just admit you were wrong about Colbert beating out Welch and Hockaday, and we can move on. It will make you appear to have some integrity as well, intellectually or otherwise.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. . Doyle, Benson, and McDONALD (at least) will have a say before next Fall. The Ohio kid may even for the upcoming class. Lots of good so far! But, no reason to anoint a "starting 3" just yet.
Bottom line is that Phil Parker has a lot of options when he runs his base 4-3-4 or his 4-2-5 (on passing downs or for a team like N'western, which, for some reason, can't run the ball)

it will be interesting to see if he plugs in any more freshmen (like Dillon Doyle), just to give the player some game experience but not burn his redshirt

Bottom line is that Phil Parker has a lot of options when he runs his base 4-3-4 or his 4-2-5 (on passing downs or for a team like N'western, which, for some reason, can't run the ball)

it will be interesting to see if he plugs in any more freshmen (like Dillon Doyle), just to give the player some game experience but not burn his redshirt
Given what great teammates every LB on the depth chart has been ... each preparing like a starter ... and playing unselfish, team-first football ... I think that Phil and Seth have their hands full trying to reward each of the guys on the depth chart first!

My guess is that the Hawks are in need of some blow-outs if we're going to get Doyle and Benson on the field.

Reactions: Franisdaman
From HawkCentral.com

Amani Hooker and a new-look Iowa defense put the clamps on Indiana
Mark Emmert, Hawk CentralPublished 5:07 p.m. CT Oct. 13, 2018 | Updated 8:05 p.m. CT Oct. 13, 2018

This new-look Iowa defense, whatever you want to call it (a 4-2-5? a nickel?), turned in a sublime performance Saturday at Memorial Stadium, ....The result was a 42-16 victory and more evidence that Amani Hooker is as valuable as any player in a Hawkeye uniform.

It wasn’t perfect. Every defensive player interviewed afterward made that point repeatedly.

But it was much better than a week ago, in Iowa's 48-31 win at Minnesota. And with four injured starters on the verge of returning, it’s going to force head coach Kirk Ferentz and defensive coordinator Phil Parker to make some interesting decisions about playing time soon.

“Guys are developing confidence in themselves and we develop confidence in them, too. So now you do have a few more options, maybe, as we go into the next half of the season,” Ferentz said after his team improved to 5-1. “Maybe more situationally. Some things that, ‘Jeez, I don’t know if I would have done that a month ago, but now I feel like guys can go in there and handle it.’ ”

That includes Hooker showing he can excel at both safety and outside linebacker (he has replaced Nick Niemann there the past two weeks). Sophomore Geno Stone earning two starts at safety in place of Hooker and responding with an interception in the red zone in each game. Junior Kristian Welch getting his first start at middle linebacker Saturday (in place of the injured Jack Hockaday and the suspended Amani Jones) and coming up with eight tackles and a pass breakup.

It was seamless.

The Iowa defense did two things particularly well against Indiana.

First, the Hawkeyes bottled up the rushing attack, limiting the Hoosiers to 67 yards on the ground — their second-lowest output of the season.

Indiana quarterback Peyton Ramsey was the focal point, Welch said, and the sophomore rarely got free. He ran 11 times and gained a mere nine yards.

Second, Iowa made winning plays at crucial moments.

In the second quarter, Iowa defensive end Parker Hesse blew through the middle of the Indiana line on third-and-1 near midfield. Hesse buried Ramsey for a 4-yard loss and forced a punt.

On the next drive, Indiana moved to Iowa’s 28-yard line, trailing 21-10. On fourth-and-1, Ramsey rolled to his right and had plenty of time to survey the field. Hooker surveyed the quarterback, reading his eyes and arriving just as a pass to J-Shun Harris did. Hooker flicked the football away. The Hawkeyes kept their two-score lead.

Indiana converted only two of its first nine third- and fourth-down situations.

Early in the fourth quarter, Stone thwarted a 74-yard Indiana drive by baiting Ramsey into a pass into the end zone from the 6-yard line. Stone leapt to snare the football and Iowa maintained its 35-16 lead.

“We had a good lead. But a score like that would have brought them within maybe a striking distance,” Hesse said. “A play like that was absolutely huge, and everyone on our entire sideline really felt the momentum swing back to us.”

Iowa marched 80 yards and put the game away.

Stone said he had prepared for that play all week, even picking off a pass in practice on that same route.

“Whenever I saw the tight end block down, I just read the quarterback and saw the slant come behind me,” Stone said. “He tried to put it in a hole and he didn’t see me.”

Ferentz certainly saw him. He pointed to that interception as one of the key plays in the game.

For good measure, safety Jake Gervase intercepted Ramsey in the end zone on the Hoosiers’ final possession, after they had moved 60 yards in 12 plays. Iowa has six interceptions in its past two games.

“We were going to be tested, as a defense, and I thought we responded well,” Gervase said after limiting Indiana to a season-low point total. “We got off the field in some critical situations and that led to getting the ball to our offense and them scoring a lot of points.”

Hooker’s ability to move from safety to linebacker — allowing Stone to get onto the field — was the key to all of it. It'll be interesting to see, as the Hawkeyes' defense gets healthier but continues to face more spread offenses like Minnesota's and Indiana's, where Hooker will be used.

You get the sense that Hooker’s teammates are also curious.

“Amani Hooker, first and foremost, a tremendous football player,” Hesse said. “And any position you put him out there, he’s going to have an impact. He’s going to make plays.”

From HawkCentral.com

Amani Hooker and a new-look Iowa defense put the clamps on Indiana
Mark Emmert, Hawk CentralPublished 5:07 p.m. CT Oct. 13, 2018 | Updated 8:05 p.m. CT Oct. 13, 2018

This new-look Iowa defense, whatever you want to call it (a 4-2-5? a nickel?), turned in a sublime performance Saturday at Memorial Stadium, ....The result was a 42-16 victory and more evidence that Amani Hooker is as valuable as any player in a Hawkeye uniform.

It wasn’t perfect. Every defensive player interviewed afterward made that point repeatedly.

But it was much better than a week ago, in Iowa's 48-31 win at Minnesota. And with four injured starters on the verge of returning, it’s going to force head coach Kirk Ferentz and defensive coordinator Phil Parker to make some interesting decisions about playing time soon.

“Guys are developing confidence in themselves and we develop confidence in them, too. So now you do have a few more options, maybe, as we go into the next half of the season,” Ferentz said after his team improved to 5-1. “Maybe more situationally. Some things that, ‘Jeez, I don’t know if I would have done that a month ago, but now I feel like guys can go in there and handle it.’ ”

That includes Hooker showing he can excel at both safety and outside linebacker (he has replaced Nick Niemann there the past two weeks). Sophomore Geno Stone earning two starts at safety in place of Hooker and responding with an interception in the red zone in each game. Junior Kristian Welch getting his first start at middle linebacker Saturday (in place of the injured Jack Hockaday and the suspended Amani Jones) and coming up with eight tackles and a pass breakup.

It was seamless.

The Iowa defense did two things particularly well against Indiana.

First, the Hawkeyes bottled up the rushing attack, limiting the Hoosiers to 67 yards on the ground — their second-lowest output of the season.

Indiana quarterback Peyton Ramsey was the focal point, Welch said, and the sophomore rarely got free. He ran 11 times and gained a mere nine yards.

Second, Iowa made winning plays at crucial moments.

In the second quarter, Iowa defensive end Parker Hesse blew through the middle of the Indiana line on third-and-1 near midfield. Hesse buried Ramsey for a 4-yard loss and forced a punt.

On the next drive, Indiana moved to Iowa’s 28-yard line, trailing 21-10. On fourth-and-1, Ramsey rolled to his right and had plenty of time to survey the field. Hooker surveyed the quarterback, reading his eyes and arriving just as a pass to J-Shun Harris did. Hooker flicked the football away. The Hawkeyes kept their two-score lead.

Indiana converted only two of its first nine third- and fourth-down situations.

Early in the fourth quarter, Stone thwarted a 74-yard Indiana drive by baiting Ramsey into a pass into the end zone from the 6-yard line. Stone leapt to snare the football and Iowa maintained its 35-16 lead.

“We had a good lead. But a score like that would have brought them within maybe a striking distance,” Hesse said. “A play like that was absolutely huge, and everyone on our entire sideline really felt the momentum swing back to us.”

Iowa marched 80 yards and put the game away.

Stone said he had prepared for that play all week, even picking off a pass in practice on that same route.

“Whenever I saw the tight end block down, I just read the quarterback and saw the slant come behind me,” Stone said. “He tried to put it in a hole and he didn’t see me.”

Ferentz certainly saw him. He pointed to that interception as one of the key plays in the game.

For good measure, safety Jake Gervase intercepted Ramsey in the end zone on the Hoosiers’ final possession, after they had moved 60 yards in 12 plays. Iowa has six interceptions in its past two games.

“We were going to be tested, as a defense, and I thought we responded well,” Gervase said after limiting Indiana to a season-low point total. “We got off the field in some critical situations and that led to getting the ball to our offense and them scoring a lot of points.”

Hooker’s ability to move from safety to linebacker — allowing Stone to get onto the field — was the key to all of it. It'll be interesting to see, as the Hawkeyes' defense gets healthier but continues to face more spread offenses like Minnesota's and Indiana's, where Hooker will be used.

You get the sense that Hooker’s teammates are also curious.

“Amani Hooker, first and foremost, a tremendous football player,” Hesse said. “And any position you put him out there, he’s going to have an impact. He’s going to make plays.”
Another thing to remark upon is that while the Hawks have been close to getting even more sacks than the 7 they've had in the last 2 games ... the pressure has been felt by the opposing QB ... and that has significantly contributed to the 6 INTs over the past 2 games. If we didn't have the off-sides and if our DBs had turned around ... 2 more of Ramsey's "jump balls" were very pick-able!

Another thing to remark upon is that while the Hawks have been close to getting even more sacks than the 7 they've had in the last 2 games ... the pressure has been felt by the opposing QB ... and that has significantly contributed to the 6 INTs over the past 2 games. If we didn't have the off-sides and if our DBs had turned around ... 2 more of Ramsey's "jump balls" were very pick-able!
the 8 man rotation on the DL has been impressive; i thought Ramsey might have given us more fits with his running

whats the scouting report on the MD QB? Is he mobile? Gosh, if we can get by MD, the next game vs PSU will be HUGE

One game at a time.....

Even with this as our official 2 deeps on defense, it makes you wonder how/if players are rotated in and out.

We see a ton of rotation on the DL; will we again see that in the back 7 as well?

KF said Geno Stone looks like a starter; will he see more playing time? Whose minutes/snaps does he take? Will Chris Fant tweet about it? =)

Does Hooker move up to OLB, Wade comes out, and Stone goes in on certain situations, like what we saw at IU?

Looks like they really like Moss & Brents; but when Hankins is healthy, does Moss sit & his redshirt burned or do they try to limit him to 4 games?

DEFENSE, 2 DEEPS FOR OCT 20 VS MARYLAND
DE - Anthony Nelson, Chauncey Golston
DT - Sam Brincks, Cedrick Lattimore
DT - Matt Nelson, Brady Reiff
DE - Parker Hesse, A.J. Epenesa

OLB - Barrington Wade, Nick Niemann
MLB - Kristian Welch, Amani Jones
WLB - Djimon Colbert, Kristian Welch

LC - Julius Brents, Matt Hankins
SS - Amani Hooker, John Milani
FS - Jake Gervase, Geno Stone
RC - Riley Moss, Michael Ojemudia

the 8 man rotation on the DL has been impressive; i thought Ramsey might have given us more fits with his running

whats the scouting report on the MD QB? Is he mobile? Gosh, if we can get by MD, the next game vs PSU will be HUGE

One game at a time.....
He hasn't really been a runner this year ... but he can do damage if he gets out of the pocket by keeping plays alive. Last year, before his injury, he seemed more willing to run.

Is the Maryland QB a running threat?
Last year, before his injury, I would have said yes. However, this year, his best rushing game netted a total of 10 yards. Against Temple and Michigan, he netted -16 and -17 yards respectively. Of course, in those 2 games, Maryland got caught behind pretty early ... and that may have forced them more into obvious passing situations. When that happens ... it becomes much easier to sack the QB. That, of course, then counts against his rushing totals.

So, is he a running threat? I don't think so.

Last edited:
Is the Maryland QB a running threat?
It's worth noting from his recruiting profile that he's listed as a pro-style QB. So, from that, I would also surmise that the mobility he possesses is utilized less to be a dual-threat ... and more to keep plays alive so that he can find an open playmaker downfield.

Even with this as our official 2 deeps on defense, it makes you wonder how/if players are rotated in and out.

We see a ton of rotation on the DL; will we again see that in the back 7 as well?

KF said Geno Stone looks like a starter; will he see more playing time? Whose minutes/snaps does he take? Will Chris Fant tweet about it? =)

Does Hooker move up to OLB, Wade comes out, and Stone goes in on certain situations, like what we saw at IU?

Looks like they really like Moss & Brents; but when Hankins is healthy, does Moss sit & his redshirt burned or do they try to limit him to 4 games?

DEFENSE, 2 DEEPS FOR OCT 20 VS MARYLAND
DE - Anthony Nelson, Chauncey Golston
DT - Sam Brincks, Cedrick Lattimore
DT - Matt Nelson, Brady Reiff
DE - Parker Hesse, A.J. Epenesa

OLB - Barrington Wade, Nick Niemann
MLB - Kristian Welch, Amani Jones
WLB - Djimon Colbert, Kristian Welch

LC - Julius Brents, Matt Hankins
SS - Amani Hooker, John Milani
FS - Jake Gervase, Geno Stone
RC - Riley Moss, Michael Ojemudia

Moss has already played in all six games. Redshirt is gone.

I would move Jones to DE over the bowl or spring break. He plays too out of control for LB. He has an edge and nastiness though I like. I just don't think it is at LB.
He's 5 foot 8. He's not going to DE. If he moves, his only spot is FB.

This has been my favorite thread to read and reread in quite some time. As a longtime hawk fan I can't remember a time when the team had the ability to be this multiple in scheme or personnel. I can't wait to see what the coaches do this weekend, who plays and what schemes get run. This team is really exciting to watch right now.

Play Niemann at the Leo in the 4-3. Play him at Middle in the 4-2-5. He is our most athletic linebacker and has the size to play inside too. Love Colbert, guy is great in space and presses the line really well.

If McDonald, Benson, Doyle, and Jacobs turn out.... who the hell are we going to play in 2019 and beyond. Corner is a similar situation, with DJ yet to break through.

Is anyone else surprised that Merriweather is getting snaps over craddieth at safety?
Colbert got beat pretty bad on a cross against IU ... I didn't pay that close attention to our coverage ... but I assume we were playing man-coverage at the time. Colbert made the mistake of letting the guy get too clean of a release from the line of scrimmage. He was running desperately to catch up as the pass was completed. It was one of the very few deeper balls that IU completed against us.

It's worth noting from his recruiting profile that he's listed as a pro-style QB. So, from that, I would also surmise that the mobility he possesses is utilized less to be a dual-threat ... and more to keep plays alive so that he can find an open playmaker downfield.

thanks for that. interesting.

This has been my favorite thread to read and reread in quite some time. As a longtime hawk fan I can't remember a time when the team had the ability to be this multiple in scheme or personnel. I can't wait to see what the coaches do this weekend, who plays and what schemes get run. This team is really exciting to watch right now.
Nice post. I have always thought successful Iowa teams have great OL's and DL's and that is definitely the case this year. Stanley rarely gets sacked, and its impressive to see him in the pocket.

And an 8 man rotation on the DL? At Iowa? Amazing and fun to see and watch.

Remember when their was a huge concern over the Iowa LB's after all the losses to graduation? Well, look at how great they have played and look at the depth, especially with all the injuries. If we are going to criticize the coaches when the players don't perform, we should give props to Parker and Seth Wallace for the job they have done this year.

And what amazes me is that 2 true freshmen will be making their 3rd consecutive start at CB.

I love how Phil Parker makes in game adjustments, too. It seems like our opponent always marches down the field in their opening drive and then the screws get tightened after that.

Geeze, when Hockaday is healthy, does he get his starting job back?

And not to get off topic, but gosh, when the D gives the ball back to the offense, don't you think that Iowa is gonna march down the field and score?

I agree with you. This team is really fun to watch.

I would move Jones to DE over the bowl or spring break. He plays too out of control for LB. He has an edge and nastiness though I like. I just don't think it is at LB.

Amani, Nelson, AJ and Golston WOW!! only problem is taking Hesse out. He's playing well.

Some interesting comments from HawkCentral regarding Maryland's offense and how Iowa will try to defend them. NOTE that Parker will likely deploy his sixth different trio of starting linebackers in seven games — Kristian Welch, Djimon Colbert and Niemann.

The 22nd-ranked Hawkeyes host an unconventional opponent in Maryland (11 a.m. Saturday, ESPN2) that tries to break big plays out of a run-oriented offense based on constant misdirection.

“When they throw it, they tend to be real big plays,” Ferentz said. “I think the parallel to Georgia Tech is there's just a lot of things going on.

“It's a really important week for us, mentally.”

How will an Iowa defense that despises big plays defend a run-heavy offense that schemes to uncork them?

The Terrapins (4-2, 2-1 Big Ten Conference) have five touchdowns from scrimmage covering 50 yards or more. They average 245.2 rushing yards per game and a remarkable 6.03 per attempt

Running back Ty Johnson averages 8.1 yards a carry; Anthony McFarland averages 8.9. This is the fastest set of skill players Iowa (5-1, 2-1) will face all year.

“They run away from everybody,” defensive end Parker Hesse said. “It’s our job to make sure they don’t get into situations like that, where it’s a foot race.”

One of Maryland’s secrets is eye candy. It tries to distract defenders from where the ball’s actually going. One guy gets caught going the wrong way, and one of Maryland’s many explosive athletes is running the other with the football.

“Assignment football,” Hesse said. “That’s what it comes down to.”

Riddled by defensive injuries, the Hawkeyes have started six different linebackers and seven defensive backs. They consistently rotate eight defensive linemen.

Yet there's been little jealousy about playing time.

Even though Parker’s known to be tough on his players, he’s generally beloved by them for how much he cares. It doesn't hurt that he's got a track record of shuttling under-recruited defensive backs to NFL prominence — Micah Hyde, Desmond King and Josh Jackson, to name a few.

“It’s nothing personal. You can’t take it personal,” said co-captain and free safety Jake Gervase in regard to Parker’s tough love. “There’s a mutual respect. We all understand that he’s got our best interests. He only wants to help us win ballgames. He cares about the game of football more than anybody I’ve been around.”

So, what kind of Parker "magic" (as safety Amani Hooker called it) does the 20th-year Ferentz assistant have up his sleeve for the Terrapins?

For starters, Parker will welcome the return of Nick Niemann at outside linebacker. That’s big, because Niemann provides a stout (6-foot-4, 232 pounds) presence against the run. While Niemann missed the Minnesota and Indiana games with a knee injury, Hooker (6-0, 210) was moved into the outside role, as a third safety, against two pass-oriented opponents.

Starting middle linebacker Jack Hockaday, though, is out for another week. That means Parker will likely deploy his sixth different trio of starting linebackers in seven games — Kristian Welch, Djimon Colbert and Niemann.

True freshmen cornerbacks Julius Brents and Riley Moss will start for the third straight game, with starters Matt Hankins and Michael Ojemudia still not 100 percent.

Yet despite that constant shuffling, Iowa enters Saturday ranked third out of 130 FBS teams in rushing defense, fifth in total defense and 13th in points allowed.

"As long as we prepare like we are starting," Colbert said, "no matter who’s put out there each week, we’ll be ready."

Each Monday, Parker presents that week's game plan to his defensive players. They have three days of practice, plus film study, to prepare.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...lps-iowa-prepare-maryland-offense/1653673002/

Colbert got beat pretty bad on a cross against IU ... I didn't pay that close attention to our coverage ... but I assume we were playing man-coverage at the time. Colbert made the mistake of letting the guy get too clean of a release from the line of scrimmage. He was running desperately to catch up as the pass was completed. It was one of the very few deeper balls that IU completed against us.
I know the play you are talking about. I question rather that was Colbert's man or not. I believe he was in zone coverage and the man crossed his zone. He then gave chase. You never know for sure but usually the inside linebackers aren't playing man coverage and when they do it is on running back out of back field.

Last edited:
I know the play you are talking about. I question rather that was Colbert's man or not. I believe he was in zone coverage and the man crossed his zone. He then gave chase. You never know for sure but usually the inside linebackers aren't playing man coverage and when they do it is on running back out of back field.
That's fair ... I'd have to go back and look at the positioning of the rest of the defenders. All I remember is that Colbert was desperately chasing after him ... even before the pass was thrown. If we were in a zone ... then it appears like there was a blown coverage assignment.

Reactions: minuteman762
I think there is a opportunity for him to play DE for the third and passing situations.
I like Anthony Nelson and Epenesa on the ends of our pass-rush package. I don't believe that there is a niche there for him.

Also, I'm curious about Branson Simon ... it strikes me that he's been a pretty good teammate ... and he's biding his time for an opening at DE. My guess is that his experience working at DE would trump Jones too.

I like Anthony Nelson and Epenesa on the ends of our pass-rush package. I don't believe that there is a niche there for him.

Also, I'm curious about Branson Simon ... it strikes me that he's been a pretty good teammate ... and he's biding his time for an opening at DE. My guess is that his experience working at DE would trump Jones too.
Talked to Simon's dad at Old Chicago after the spring game. Seemed like a really nice guy and said his son was happy and loved it here. He'll get his chances in 19 and 20.

See, once again, you think if you type more then you 'win'. The redshirt freshmen and the freshmen where exactly what 'we' were talking about and now you're changing your story. And it just wasn't you in the conversation. You are interesting to read, but you, like most, are never wrong. I'll repeat: None of the fr. or rsfr. will be starters next year and I strongly doubt they will supplant any of the 5 I listed on the depth chart barring injury. I'm moving on, I hope you will too. Thanks for your input, but there's nothing left to discuss.

Oh, and Colbert found the starting line up not because he passed up Welch and Hockaday, but because Welch got dinged the first game after being OUR BEST LB THAT GAME. Once again your argument is invalid. I give you A's for effort, but like I said, you think you can talk people to death and they'll miss all your inaccurate statements. And YES, you said that Colbert beat out those guys to start. WRONG. Quote: "Iowa Coach Kirk Ferentz said Welch actually worked out with the team Friday but didn’t practice all week, which led to the decision to give Colbert his first significant playing time. The kid did fine."
Colbert beat out Welch after the Wisconsin game.

Reactions: minuteman762
Colbert beat out Welch after the Wisconsin game.
That is simply not correct and I would love for either one of you to provide any evidence to support that. He's been 'dinged' a couple times this year. He started the Wisconsin game, got hurt, and was finally healthy enough to play leading up to last week's game but they needed him at the Mike. If Welch, Hockaday and Niemann all get 100%, watch who starts and where. Colbert has done a good job considering his inexperience and he will be a good LB (barring injury) by the time he's a jr.-sr. Welch has played outstanding when he has been HEALTHY. Has led the team in tackles in 2 games and jumped in at Mike and did a great job. I don't know where some of you get these ideas, but you apparently don't follow what the coaches say. Man, fan sites are worse than FB.

That is simply not correct and I would love for either one of you to provide any evidence to support that. He's been 'dinged' a couple times this year. He started the Wisconsin game, got hurt, and was finally healthy enough to play leading up to last week's game but they needed him at the Mike. If Welch, Hockaday and Niemann all get 100%, watch who starts and where. Colbert has done a good job considering his inexperience and he will be a good LB (barring injury) by the time he's a jr.-sr. Welch has played outstanding when he has been HEALTHY. Has led the team in tackles in 2 games and jumped in at Mike and did a great job. I don't know where some of you get these ideas, but you apparently don't follow what the coaches say. Man, fan sites are worse than FB.

That is not true. In the Wisconsin game, it was scheduled that he play the first half and Colbert play the second since after three games they both had played well in their starts. After that game, Colbert was the named the starter. Welch wasn't injured against Wisconsin and in fact saw some time against Minnesota. Welch has played well this season. Not saying he hasn't but Colbert is now the starter at WLB. I don't know why you are so angry about this?

Did anyone else see the play where Welch was two steps away from the quarterback then made a 120 degree turn remembering he had the running back in man to man. If he would have continued to pursue the QB he had a for sure sack and the running back already had 4 or 5 strides on him. Probably the most perplexing defensive play I’ve ever seen.

Did anyone else see the play where Welch was two steps away from the quarterback then made a 120 degree turn remembering he had the running back in man to man. If he would have continued to pursue the QB he had a for sure sack and the running back already had 4 or 5 strides on him. Probably the most perplexing defensive play I’ve ever seen.

I don't remember that play.

That is not true. In the Wisconsin game, it was scheduled that he play the first half and Colbert play the second since after three games they both had played well in their starts. After that game, Colbert was the named the starter. Welch wasn't injured against Wisconsin and in fact saw some time against Minnesota. Welch has played well this season. Not saying he hasn't but Colbert is now the starter at WLB. I don't know why you are so angry about this?
Where or when have I displayed anger? Expecting people to provide accurate information and not share fallacies has nothing to do with 'anger'.
Show me where anyone one said that Colbert was 'scheduled' to play the second half against Wisconsin. That's almost laughable as it would be the first time that PP has ever 'scheduled' anyone to play half a game, lol. I can show you 3 articles where the coaches have talked about Welch being hurt in 3 different weeks. I've already shown one about the Iowa St. game. Ghost said that Colbert beat Welch out at the Iowa st. game, but the news article, and the fact that Welch started the next week vs. UNI prove that to be a total fallacy. Read and deal in facts, man. Is that too much to ask from people?

If we are going to ask questions, why is it so hard for some people to admit they are mistaken or simply wrong, and will continue to defend their fallacies without any evidence?

Who was that against? IU?

Where or when have I displayed anger? Expecting people to provide accurate information and not share fallacies has nothing to do with 'anger'.
Show me where anyone one said that Colbert was 'scheduled' to play the second half against Wisconsin. That's almost laughable as it would be the first time that PP has ever 'scheduled' anyone to play half a game, lol. I can show you 3 articles where the coaches have talked about Welch being hurt in 3 different weeks. I've already shown one about the Iowa St. game. Ghost said that Colbert beat Welch out at the Iowa st. game, but the news article, and the fact that Welch started the next week vs. UNI prove that to be a total fallacy. Read and deal in facts, man. Is that too much to ask from people?

If we are going to ask questions, why is it so hard for some people to admit they are mistaken or simply wrong, and will continue to defend their fallacies without any evidence?

You are very angry about this and it is weird.
Are you related to Welch?
I remember before the game. Unless I am mistaken and it was the UNI game where they split halves but either way Colbert was put in for Welch in the second half against Wisconsin and has stayed there ever since. Not sure why you don't see that?

I remember in one of Kirk's interviews he stated that Colbert had passed Welch for the starting spot. I'll try to find the transcript but dont remember which game it was after.

Yep I do. I thought the same thing.

I remember before the game. Unless I am mistaken and it was the UNI game where they split halves but either way Colbert was put in for Welch in the second half against Wisconsin and has stayed there ever since. Not sure why you don't see that?
What's especially odd is that most all the fans here ... both of us included, think that Welch is excellent. We're not being dismissive of him as a player at all ... he's totally a key component of our D. Of course, I'd also say that Amani Jones is an important component of our team (and D) too. Welch and Amani BOTH help to make this team BETTER ... and that's exactly what we want to see as fans!

Ultimately, at the end of the day .... I'm confident that the coaches will find ways to get those guys on the field. Welch obviously is already slated to be our starting MIKE currently ... but, should he get nicked up ... I'm confident that Amani will come in and do a great job at MIKE!

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
Just shut up. Good grief. Again, where am I expressing anger, lol. I'm trying to have a logical discussion about reality and facts, and you just keep expressing fallacies without any facts or evidence. You just totally changed your story. Why? I've said in great detail what the coaches said about the LB situation and the injury status week to week. Do I need to go over it again? It is pretty pathetic on your part that you can't just admit you are mistaken. You people are pretty amazing because I could have KF come over to your house and explain it to you, but you would still come on here and come up with some alternative facts that KF's was wrong. Big 10 football is not Pee Wee football and NOBODY has ever been promised to play a half, lol. "Hey Colbert, you are starting the second half against UNI....oops Wisconsin...because you are beating people out!" LMAO. "But coach, I had 10 tackles, as sack, an interception, and a forced fumble in the first half!!!" "Sorry Kristian, I promised Colbert he could start the second half." LMAO!!!

So at first you said Colbert was 'scheduled' to start the second half against Wisconsin, but now it was against UNI which neither is true and you don't supply ONE fact to support your ridiculous statement(s). Go read the coaches press clippings! WELCH GOT HURT BEFORE THE IOWA STATE GAME AND KF SAID THEY WOULD HAVE TO HOLD HIM OUT FOR THE GAME BECAUSE HE WASN'T READY TO GO UNTIL FRIDAY. THEN, BECAUSE HE IS THE "STARTER", HE STARTED AND PLAYED THE WHOLE NEXT GAME AGAINST UNI, THEN HE "STARTED" AGAINST WISCONSIN BUT RE-AGGRAVATED HIS INJURY (WHICH THE COACHES TALKED ABOUT) AND COLBERT CAME IN. Then (as the coaches talked about) Welch wasn't 100% for the Minnesota game, so they listed him at back up for the Will and Leo spots because a 75% Welch was better than throwing true freshmen to the wolves. And for the Indiana game, they talked about HOPING that Welch was healthy enough to play the Mike, because their only other choice with all the injuries was playing Doyle. You really should read something ( like the Gazette and other sources) than this chat room. You might actually learn and know something. Unless you are going to come back with facts, evidence, and sources......DON'T BOTHER! And I love how some of you clowns make statements like "why are you angry" when someone calls out your absolute bullshit. I'm not angry at all, you just don't get to talk out your ass while I'm watching. You should expect more from yourselves.

ADVERTISEMENT