ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting info on B1G expamsion

If this happens, it'll be the start of working towards 4 16 team conferences for a total of 64 teams. Right now there's 65 power 5 schools, meaning when musical chairs is over 1 school will be on the outside looking in. There could still be conference championship games for those 4 conferences, essentially making those games the quarterfinal round.

Reactions: naturalmwa
PAC 12 will disband before the B12 at this point. The pac 12 is damn near close to financial ruin.

Since we're just imaging "expamsion" scenarios, I would not be that excited to bring in Texas or Oklahoma. I would prefer ND and someone else closer to the current geographic footprint - Pitt, Mizzou, maybe Cincinnati.

Keep the divisions in some form. Hawks need something to play for. ;)

If UT and OU leave the b12 for the B1G, the Pac12 picks up pieces of the b12 and the rest try to find a new home in the ACC and sec.

If this happens, it'll be the start of working towards 4 16 team conferences for a total of 64 teams. Right now there's 65 power 5 schools, meaning when musical chairs is over 1 school will be on the outside looking in. There could still be conference championship games for those 4 conferences, essentially making those games the quarterfinal round.

Sorry Iowa State

Since we're just imaging "expamsion" scenarios, I would not be that excited to bring in Texas or Oklahoma. I would prefer ND and someone else closer to the current geographic footprint - Pitt, Mizzou, maybe Cincinnati.

Yes please on Mizzou. Would love to see the Hawks playing in Columbia every other year......:D

WEST:
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Texas
Illinois
Wisconsin
Northwestern

EAST:
Michigan
MSU
PU
IU
Maryland
OSU
Penn St
Rutgers

Yes please
7 wins will be a good season
2 non conference
3 East
7 West

I agree with your thoughts on "imaging" "expamsion" scenarios.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
WEST:
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Texas
Illinois
Wisconsin
Northwestern

EAST:
Michigan
MSU
PU
IU
Maryland
OSU
Penn St
Rutgers

Yes please
Can you imagine the outcry from the West if Texas is put in the same division with Nebraska?

I could see West Virginia and Notre Dame going to the ACC to give them their 16 teams. Oklahoma State and Kansas to the SEC to give their 16.....and between Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor, 4 of them to go the Pac-12 to give them their 16.

With this, you could start a standardized scheduling procedure where you play maybe 7 conference games and 4 games from another conference where those conferences would be on a rotation. As for playoff teams, you probably have to figure a way to include some group of 5 schools so that they can't claim the power 5s have a monopoly.

If there's talk of the Big 10 going to 16 teams, it's quite obvious what they're angling at here. It's to get the playoffs expanded.

Last edited:
Reactions: iahawks10
I could see West Virginia and Notre Dame going to the ACC to give them their 16 teams. Oklahoma State and Kansas to the SEC to give their 16.....and between Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor, 4 of them to go the Pac-12 to give them their 16.

Boise would be in the PAC 12

Notre Dame must join a conference AND stop playing the service academies as their guys cannot be over a certain size, weightwise. Notre Dame's 320+ OL on Navy's DL that weighs in at 255. Real fair. This was their lucky year. The stars all aligned but Clemson should beat the crap out the Iwish.
And if they don't?

I think we have brought up Oklahoma before. Doesn’t sound like they could ever move conferences without OKie St also going along. The OK legislature would get involved.

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
Seeing Iowa State left out in the cold? Looking sadly through a frosty window while the members of the newly expanded B1G sit around the table feasting, laughing and drinking beer? Yes please lol

They played 10 P5 games this year. Their schedule included Michigan, Stanford, USC, Florida State, and B1G West Champion NU. It's not like they were playing nobodies all year long. Also not their fault Stanford, USC, FSU had down years.

Totally agree. I am not a fan of the Domers but they played a really solid schedule this year.

Reactions: naturalmwa

With this, you could start a standardized scheduling procedure where you play maybe 7 conference games and 4 games from another conference where those conferences would be on a rotation. As for playoff teams, you probably have to figure a way to include some group of 5 schools so that they can't claim the power 5s have a monopoly.

If there's talk of the Big 10 going to 16 teams, it's quite obvious what they're angling at here. It's to get the playoffs expanded.
Probably ISU, KSU and Baylor would be in a fight for their lives in that scenario. 2 winners, and one gets a one way ticket to eternal irrelevance.

And if they don't?
They will. Not entirely by choice, but it will not be difficult either. The Super conferences play out to 16 each. ND will be given an ultimatum to be in or out by the ACC. At which point ND will have no choice as it will be nearly impossible to keep their other sports or get a quality football schedule let alone a championship shot.

I think it would make more sense to have 8 8-team conferences, A round-robin in every league (double round-robin on hoops), and 8 league champions to go to a playoff. Basically the way the NCAA basketball tournament used to be, prior to becoming almost solely a fundraising event.

The BiG already is too big. My views on this have been expressed (and, to be fair, ignored) on several occasions. When you can't play everybody in your league, you don't really have a league. Hell, that was a problem with the Big Ten when it actually was the Big Ten. And now that you have a collection that includes Nebraska and Rutgers....I mean, come on, give me a break.

Since we're blue-skying, some other things to consider....Central Florida isn't a P5 school, but it would be hard to justify keeping it out of the reorganization. More to the point, what would be the criteria for organizing the leagues/divisions? Geography, obviously, would be the main one Natural rivalries would be considered (although we've seen the end of several of those already, principally Oklahoma-Nebraska and Texas A&M-Texas).

Let's really go unrealistic and assume the NCAA acted like the Iowa high school bosses and just assigned everything regardless of the preferences of the schools (and their fans). One thing you'd probably see would be Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Kansas schools -- basically the old Big Eight with the three midwest Big Ten teams replacing Colorado and the Oklahoma schools.

That might possibly not meet with universal approval on this board. And if television markets were a major factor, it would never fly.

This would ve bad.

But if it happens, I can see a Pac 12 East and West, with the pickup of Kansas, OK State, Iowa State and K State.

That would leave West Virginia going to the SEC. Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech finding a home somewhere.

I would much rather have something that would never happen but would be awesome for college football. Have a shuffle happen. All conferences down to 12 teams max. 8 conference games. Add one more power conference so there is a power 6. Every year you have to schedule 2 non con games against power 6 teams. The conferences would look like this.

B1G: Ohio St, Michigan, MSU, Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois and Nebraska.

SEC: Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Missouri, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, Texas A&m and Kentucky.

ACC: Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia tech, UCONN, Pitt, Louisville, Clemson, Duke, NCST, UNC, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.

Big 12: Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Arkansas, Texas, LSU, TCU, Baylor, Houston, Texas Tech.

PAC 12: Same

New Conference: Penn St, Rutgers, Maryland, West Virginia, Temple, Boston College, Florida St, Miami, UCF, USF, Memphis and UAB.

Reactions: WhiteSoxClone
I would much rather have something that would never happen but would be awesome for college football. Have a shuffle happen. All conferences down to 12 teams max. 8 conference games. Add one more power conference so there is a power 6. Every year you have to schedule 2 non con games against power 6 teams. The conferences would look like this.

B1G: Ohio St, Michigan, MSU, Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota, Illinois and Nebraska.

SEC: Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Missouri, Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, Texas A&m and Kentucky.

ACC: Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia tech, UCONN, Pitt, Louisville, Clemson, Duke, NCST, UNC, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.

Big 12: Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Iowa St, Kansas, Kansas St, Arkansas, Texas, LSU, TCU, Baylor, Houston, Texas Tech.

PAC 12: Same

New Conference: Penn St, Rutgers, Maryland, West Virginia, Temple, Boston College, Florida St, Miami, UCF, USF, Memphis and UAB.

I’d be fine with this, but schedules are going to be completely unbalanced especially factoring two mandatory P6 non conf games.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT