ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting info on B1G expamsion

Start treating them like UCF...They'll join a conference real quick.

UCF plays in a conference. Any of ND's games was at least as challenging as anyone UCF played all year. Michigan, Syracuse, and Stanford are better than ANYONE UCF played.

Perfect scenario

Get some combination of ND, Pitt, Cincinnati, Mizzou, KU

Dont think OU or Texas is the right answer; let them leave and make the P12 legit.

Drop Rutgers

Can you imagine the outcry from the West if Texas is put in the same division with Nebraska?
I think there definitely would be outcry. The fact that you would not pay attention to it and try to understand it should be alarming. This is the same school that built the Longhorn Network to the detriment of the rest of the teams in the conference. They also lobbied the Big 12 to outlaw the upside down "Hook 'Em Horns" hand gesture in games. That's what you would have coming into this league - a school and program that wants to call the shots and doesn't really care about the success of the collective.

I think it would make more sense to have 8 8-team conferences, A round-robin in every league (double round-robin on hoops), and 8 league champions to go to a playoff. Basically the way the NCAA basketball tournament used to be, prior to becoming almost solely a fundraising event.

The BiG already is too big. My views on this have been expressed (and, to be fair, ignored) on several occasions. When you can't play everybody in your league, you don't really have a league. Hell, that was a problem with the Big Ten when it actually was the Big Ten. And now that you have a collection that includes Nebraska and Rutgers....I mean, come on, give me a break.

Since we're blue-skying, some other things to consider....Central Florida isn't a P5 school, but it would be hard to justify keeping it out of the reorganization. More to the point, what would be the criteria for organizing the leagues/divisions? Geography, obviously, would be the main one Natural rivalries would be considered (although we've seen the end of several of those already, principally Oklahoma-Nebraska and Texas A&M-Texas).

Let's really go unrealistic and assume the NCAA acted like the Iowa high school bosses and just assigned everything regardless of the preferences of the schools (and their fans). One thing you'd probably see would be Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Kansas schools -- basically the old Big Eight with the three midwest Big Ten teams replacing Colorado and the Oklahoma schools.

That might possibly not meet with universal approval on this board. And if television markets were a major factor, it would never fly.

The conference won't matter, the Division will. In a sense the division is becoming the conference. You will need to win your division to get into the playoff in the future at some point.

I live for the days when polls won't matter.

Reactions: naturalmwa
I think it would make more sense to have 8 8-team conferences, A round-robin in every league (double round-robin on hoops), and 8 league champions to go to a playoff. Basically the way the NCAA basketball tournament used to be, prior to becoming almost solely a fundraising event.

The BiG already is too big. My views on this have been expressed (and, to be fair, ignored) on several occasions. When you can't play everybody in your league, you don't really have a league. Hell, that was a problem with the Big Ten when it actually was the Big Ten. And now that you have a collection that includes Nebraska and Rutgers....I mean, come on, give me a break.

Since we're blue-skying, some other things to consider....Central Florida isn't a P5 school, but it would be hard to justify keeping it out of the reorganization. More to the point, what would be the criteria for organizing the leagues/divisions? Geography, obviously, would be the main one Natural rivalries would be considered (although we've seen the end of several of those already, principally Oklahoma-Nebraska and Texas A&M-Texas).

Let's really go unrealistic and assume the NCAA acted like the Iowa high school bosses and just assigned everything regardless of the preferences of the schools (and their fans). One thing you'd probably see would be Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Kansas schools -- basically the old Big Eight with the three midwest Big Ten teams replacing Colorado and the Oklahoma schools.

That might possibly not meet with universal approval on this board. And if television markets were a major factor, it would never fly.
Hey, its come down to us and Wisconsin every year for a conference title.

I'd be fine with that.

F*** Delaney's love for Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan.

The Big Ten is too big because everybody doesn't play everybody else, not a real conference. But back when the Big 12 started all this mega conference stuff and had 12 teams in the conference they all didn't play each other, then it was okay. Alright, got it.

I think there definitely would be outcry. The fact that you would not pay attention to it and try to understand it should be alarming. This is the same school that built the Longhorn Network to the detriment of the rest of the teams in the conference. They also lobbied the Big 12 to outlaw the upside down "Hook 'Em Horns" hand gesture in games. That's what you would have coming into this league - a school and program that wants to call the shots and doesn't really care about the success of the collective.

I agree with the Cornhusker here, Just Say No to Texas. Oklahoma would be a good add and instead of UT we should bring in KU. OU and KU to the BIG West would be good adds.

I think we have brought up Oklahoma before. Doesn’t sound like they could ever move conferences without OKie St also going along. The OK legislature would get involved.

Same here. Always thought that OU and Okie St. are joined at the hip with any realignment.

The Big Ten is too big because everybody doesn't play everybody else, not a real conference. But back when the Big 12 started all this mega conference stuff and had 12 teams in the conference they all didn't play each other, then it was okay. Alright, got it.
No, it wasn't all right with me, and I said so at the time, and have said so on numerous occasions since then.

The hand gesture thing is an embarrassment to the league, and the people responsible should be severely shamed because of that decision.

While the Longhorn Network has been a negative in some ways -- like limiting the audience for the UT-ISU football game this year -- it has been positive in other ways. By retaining the third tier rights, ISU has been able to televise all its non-conference MBB games and some WBB games this year, for instance.

I agree with the Cornhusker here, Just Say No to Texas. Oklahoma would be a good add and instead of UT we should bring in KU. OU and KU to the BIG West would be good adds.
Somehow this trail is leading back to Iowa wanting to pad their schedule with a non-pulse team like Kansas and don't care to play Texas.

Iowa opponents were 77-61.

OSU was 68-77. Maybe we should force them to change conferences?

p.s. The average opponents' record should be around .500. This isn't Lake Wobegon.

Oklahoma isn't up to the academic level the Big Ten used to require, before admitting Nebraska.

Except they wouldn't be calling the shots in this scenario.

Somehow this trail is leading back to Iowa wanting to pad their schedule with a non-pulse team like Kansas and don't care to play Texas.

No. I just don't like Texas. Every conference they have bene a part of they have destroyed. I don't want to let them into the conference just so they can destroy it from within.

Kansas is a basketball blue blood, contiguous with Nebraska and Oklahoma, so the conference maintains some continuity, and is putting money into football to become respectable (stadium renovations and hiring Les Miles). I think Kansas would be a good addition.

No. I just don't like Texas. Every conference they have bene a part of they have destroyed. I don't want to let them into the conference just so they can destroy it from within.

Kansas is a basketball blue blood, contiguous with Nebraska and Oklahoma, so the conference maintains some continuity, and is putting money into football to become respectable (stadium renovations and hiring Les Miles). I think Kansas would be a good addition.
I realize we are just talking, but being serious for a second, do you (or anybody else) honestly think Texas would go to the Big Ten? Take a huge revenue cut? Lose the Longhorn Network? No longer be the biggest dick in the locker room? And perhaps more important, play half their football games in the North? What would be the incentive?

Really no reason to make it that difficult. We’re not that far from 4 16 team conferences now. So 28 team divisions in each. Winners play what is the first round of playoffs. Schedule works as qued describes above. I’m not sure which conference goes away but have a hard time believing the huge west coast markets are left out.

It certainly wouldnt fly, mainly because it is a far fetched scenario in your own brain.

Except they wouldn't be calling the shots in this scenario.
You'd like to think they wouldn't be.

The point is Nebraska left the B12 to get away from Texas trying to control and influence the conference. The B1G was a perfect fit because this league treats everyone much more fairly wrt policies, and the money made clear sense.

The hand gesture thing is an embarrassment to the league, and the people responsible should be severely shamed because of that decision.

While the Longhorn Network has been a negative in some ways -- like limiting the audience for the UT-ISU football game this year -- it has been positive in other ways. By retaining the third tier rights, ISU has been able to televise all its non-conference MBB games and some WBB games this year, for instance.
Sure there are residual benefits. But the premise of it was the Texas was doing what Texas wanted, regardless of whether all conference teams could have benefited more from putting together a Big 12 Network, just like every other P5 league. The big part of a conference working is the collegiality of the schools and that the sum is better than the parts alone. Texas wanted the conference only for the purposes that it benefited itself. They're a huge brand, and they exhibit terrible leadership with the power they bring to the B12 or any other league. I don't want a school that's only interested in "getting theirs".

Reactions: ForcePro
Sure there are residual benefits. But the premise of it was the Texas was doing what Texas wanted, regardless of whether all conference teams could have benefited more from putting together a Big 12 Network, just like every other P5 league. The big part of a conference working is the collegiality of the schools and that the sum is better than the parts alone. Texas wanted the conference only for the purposes that it benefited itself. They're a huge brand, and they exhibit terrible leadership with the power they bring to the B12 or any other league. I don't want a school that's only interested in "getting theirs".
I wouldn't argue with much of that, although the Big XII is better off financially than some conferences that have TV networks. I would -- and have -- argue with the idea that Texas would go to the BiG if the opportunity arose.

I think some of the guys who take part in these repetitive threads greatly overstate the problems facing the Big XII. No question they don't realize the financial situation. Is it as stable as the BiG? No. Is it more stable than the Pac-12? Absolutely.

OF COURSE Texas wants as much power as it can get to improve its own situation. So does Ohio State. So does Iowa. Any school that doesn't is out of its institutional mind. It's in the interest of Ohio State and Iowa, for example, to be in the sharing situation used by the BiG. If it were not in their interest, they would be demanding change or leaving for greener pastures.

And if you think Rutgers or Indiana has as much weight to throw around in the BiG as Ohio State and Michigan, you're kidding yourselves.

You'd like to think they wouldn't be.

The point is Nebraska left the B12 to get away from Texas trying to control and influence the conference. The B1G was a perfect fit because this league treats everyone much more fairly wrt policies, and the money made clear sense.

This is the B1G. You really think Texas is going to be able to come in here and throw their weight around? Not a chance.

I realize we are just talking, but being serious for a second, do you (or anybody else) honestly think Texas would go to the Big Ten? Take a huge revenue cut? Lose the Longhorn Network? No longer be the biggest dick in the locker room? And perhaps more important, play half their football games in the North? What would be the incentive?

If Oklahoma left first then yes. Texas at that point risks becoming irrelevant which leads to less revenue. Texas needs OU to stay put.

I wouldn't argue with much of that, although the Big XII is better off financially than some conferences that have TV networks. I would -- and have -- argue with the idea that Texas would go to the BiG if the opportunity arose.

I think some of the guys who take part in these repetitive threads greatly overstate the problems facing the Big XII. No question they don't realize the financial situation. Is it as stable as the BiG? No. Is it more stable than the Pac-12? Absolutely.

OF COURSE Texas wants as much power as it can get to improve its own situation. So does Ohio State. So does Iowa. Any school that doesn't is out of its institutional mind. It's in the interest of Ohio State and Iowa, for example, to be in the sharing situation used by the BiG. If it were not in their interest, they would be demanding change or leaving for greener pastures.

And if you think Rutgers or Indiana has as much weight to throw around in the BiG as Ohio State and Michigan, you're kidding yourselves.

Well the lesser teams understand the benefit of the whole so of course they would tend to want to go along. Like most of Big 12 dealing with Texas, with the difference being Texas keeps much more $.

See I think the B12 is wobblier than the PAC12 and it's because of the markets, which are ultimately what counts. The PAC12 has done some really stupid things and botched their TV Network which cost them. So short-term, they're a little shaken financially. But long-term, they operate in 9 of the top 30 television markets in the country. The Big 12 operates in 2 of the top 30, one of which it shares with the SEC (Houston). And all that has to happen is one of the big two teams in the B12 deciding they don't like the way things work and it's over. Oklahoma seems like the school that will ultimately decide it wants greener pastures.

This is the B1G. You really think Texas is going to be able to come in here and throw their weight around? Not a chance.
Depends on how important the B1G thinks they are to the success of the conference. I'm not saying they would be allowed to. I'm saying I'd like to hope they wouldn't. Neither you nor I know for sure what future leverage they may hold in negotiations. A person who has shown a propensity to use leverage to benefit themselves in the past will look for opportunities to do it in the future. You don't understand the ego of that program, school and state if you don't think they'll try. Michigan, OSU nor PSU have thought to act in a way that Texas has acted.

For the record, I'm not one who wants to see the Big 12 collapse. I want schools like KSU, KU, ISU, etc...all the schools Nebraska "grew up" with to be treated fairly and do well. I enjoy seeing Iowa State have success. Same goes for the others.

Do you have proof that OSU and Michigan have leveraged their schools' status to enact policies that are OSU- and Michigan-centric, to the detriment of schools like Rutgers and Indiana? I don't have proof they haven't, but so far as I can tell this league cares about the good of the whole a lot more than the Big 12 league does...it's concerned with Texas. See upside down hook 'em horns policy as a perfect example. Like you said, big time embarrassment, driven by and for Texas sole benefit because they could.

Reactions: moonhawk
PAC12 does have major markets. But there is a low level of interest in CFB in those markets.

PAC12 is mostly geographically isolated, making poaching unlikely. Lots of people like to predict USC/UCLA/Az/AzSU to B12, but that seems like crazy talk.

USC and those schools would be giving up a lot of history to be the semi-isolated Western outpost for a low population conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT