ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting interview with the CEO of Traeger....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002

Awesome stuff here for business nerds.

But I think he misunderstands what today's more-sophisticated consumer wants. He thinks people want a consistently good and easy cooking experience.

Some obviously do. But others want to try new things, experiment with different techniques, explore unique woods. For example, I'm seasoning some loquat wood from a volunteer seedling tree I allowed to grow for this sole purpose. I can't wait to see what that smoke flavor profile is like.

I'd be waiting forever if I depended on someone making loquat pellets.

And frankly, tending to the fire and adding more wood from time to time is a big part of the overall experience. "Set it and forget it" is for the womenfolk.

Awesome stuff here for business nerds.

But I think he misunderstands what today's more-sophisticated consumer wants. He thinks people want a consistently good and easy cooking experience.

Some obviously do. But others want to try new things, experiment with different techniques, explore unique woods. For example, I'm seasoning some loquat wood from a volunteer seedling tree I allowed to grow for this sole purpose. I can't wait to see what that smoke flavor profile is like.

I'd be waiting forever if I depended on someone making loquat pellets.

And frankly, tending to the fire and adding more wood from time to time is a big part of the overall experience. "Set it and forget it" is for the womenfolk.
Yes, he misunderstands to the tune of nearly a billion dollars a year. Another brilliant take as usual.

Reactions: Kelsers
ADVERTISEMENT