ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting KF quotes about the OL

Beattheohiostate

All-Conference
Aug 5, 2022
phoenix, AZ
In discussing the OL in a Press-Citizen article today, KF made the following curious statements: "I want to let the guys compete and see," Kirk Ferentz said. "We're talking about some guys that really haven't played very much either. You just got to see them in game action. Sometimes it's painful. But those mistakes will get cleaned up and they will get better [my emphasis] and we'll try to figure it out."

See the entire article here:
https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...wkeyes-kirk-brian-ferentz-petras/10391559002/

I just find it curious that KF says such things about the OL but not about the QB position. In contrast to the OL, KF treats the QB position as the anointing of a king. Once you're the QB, you're always the QB. The QB position is evaluated solely on practice performance. The second and third QBs aren't even allowed on the field against a Nevada in garbage time, although backups at most other positions were flooding Kinnick Sunday morning like, well, like rain in a thunderstorm.

So "you just got to see them in game action" when it comes to the OL, but not so when it comes to the QB. Just thought I'd mention it.

I’ll admit I’d like to have seen Padilla at least get some snaps in the 4th…but to be fair, it’s a lot easier to get snaps for reserves when there are 5 spots to use but there’s only 1 QB on the field at a time.

In discussing the OL in a Press-Citizen article today, KF made the following curious statements: "I want to let the guys compete and see," Kirk Ferentz said. "We're talking about some guys that really haven't played very much either. You just got to see them in game action. Sometimes it's painful. But those mistakes will get cleaned up and they will get better [my emphasis] and we'll try to figure it out."

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...wkeyes-kirk-brian-ferentz-petras/10391559002/

I just find it curious that KF says such things about the OL but not about the QB position. In contrast to the OL, KF treats the QB position as the anointing of a king. Once you're the QB, you're always the QB. The QB position is evaluated solely on practice performance. The second and third QBs aren't even allowed on the field against a Nevada in garbage time, although backups at most other positions were flooding Kinnick Sunday morning like, well, like rain in a thunderstorm.

So "you just got to see them in game action" when it comes to the OL, but not so when it comes to the QB. Just thought I'd mention it.

I honestly don’t think it’s really all that complicated. In fact I’ll give you a different scenario, they quickly changed kickers and I think it was the right call…

But in my opinion I don’t think they have a quarterback on the roster that’s really any good… I don’t have a problem believing Spencer Petras is their best…

Now with that said it makes me sad and frustrated but I don’t see the widespread conspiracy some of you do. We just have poor quarterbacks!!

If the OL truly is in flux (and it does appear to be), there is a case to be made that as various OL spots rotate, the OL reps should take place with the same qb in place. you go back and forth with the qb and it throws off progress made toward overall timing and cohesiveness.
that said, no question petras should've been subbed out for a chunk of the isu game at the minimum.

Reactions: cblum
I honestly don’t think it’s really all that complicated. In fact I’ll give you a different scenario, they quickly changed kickers and I think it was the right call…

But in my opinion I don’t think they have a quarterback on the roster that’s really any good… I don’t have a problem believing Spencer Petras is their best…

Now with that said it makes me sad and frustrated but I don’t see the widespread conspiracy some of you do. We just have poor quarterbacks!!
How would you know? The Nevada game was absolutely the time to make a move at QB. Hell give Alex the 3rd quarter and Joey the 4th for all I care.

Reactions: Ronman and IAHUNTER
Especially knowing Petras is a finished product. This is as good as he is going to get. Even if the other QBs are not as good (God help us), at least let them gain some game experience and they have a chance to improve! Petras is also done after this year (hopefully). If Labas is our guy next year, all we’re gonna hear to start the season is “ah schucks, he doesn’t have any game experience so hes got a lot of learning to do…”. It’s ridiculous.

Not a conspiracy, just confusing. Why do other position groups that perform poorly in games have others rotate in but never at QB?

I’ll admit I’d like to have seen Padilla at least get some snaps in the 4th…but to be fair, it’s a lot easier to get snaps for reserves when there are 5 spots to use but there’s only 1 QB on the field at a time.
Heard from someone with inside information- Alex is entering the portal in December. If this guy knows it, then Kirk knows it and will not play him. Probably explains why he did not play with the subs

Heard from someone with inside information- Alex is entering the portal in December. If this guy knows it, then Kirk knows it and will not play him. Probably explains why he did not play with the subs
It won’t surprise me at all unfortunately. Mildly surprised tho, with a qb comp coming.

Should have used the portal last year for both QB and OL. Given the success of Iowa linemen in the NFL (two first team All-Pro last year), Iowa would be considered an appealing option for OLs who were in the portal, so I don’t get the “we tried but couldn’t land anyone” excuse.

I refuse to read any article that deals with a Ferentz interview. I've listened and read the same BS come out of his mouth for years. Ask me a question, and I can give you the KF response with 90% accuracy. Rarely do you get any new information from KF.

If all the QB's are bad, then you jettison either Padilla or Petras in off season and you bring in a transfer. Or you go with youth and higher upside at QB. KF would never play a true freshman at QB, but other successful coaches have no issues doing so. The fact is the offense is 100% on Ferentz and it is one of the worst units in football. KF being carried by Phil Parker.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15

Well I am going to call some bullshit on this statement. The Ferentzes are OLine coaches and Kirk supposedly a guru/Olinemen whisperer and the Oline practices againsts very tough front seven at two the 2 deep level. So that situation should give Kirk and the other coaches plenty of spring and August practice tape to find the 5 starters.

I would really think they should have figured out who the best combination of 5 Olinemen were by the beginning of the first game. This seems like another weird excuse.

We should have seen a mostly starting 5 by the first game with just a little bit of substitution to give guys a breather after the defense gets a quick 3 and out and to give the backups some limited reps.

Dunker should be a mainstay. I would go Dunker-Jones-Elsbury on the interior, then pray for two to emerge and separate at tackle. Or move Colby back to RG? Curious what others think?

Reactions: pistachio1999
Especially knowing Petras is a finished product. This is as good as he is going to get. Even if the other QBs are not as good (God help us), at least let them gain some game experience and they have a chance to improve! Petras is also done after this year (hopefully). If Labas is our guy next year, all we’re gonna hear to start the season is “ah schucks, he doesn’t have any game experience so hes got a lot of learning to do…”. It’s ridiculous.
Given the inconsistencies we've seen with the O Line against the weakest teams on our schedule, you might think that the coaching staff would want one of the backups to get some game time before Petras is really getting knocked around by the likes of Michigan and Ohio St. Throwing Padilla or Labas out there cold against teams like that sounds like the road to ruination to me.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
I think it's safe to say Padilla is in the doghouse.......

People have been speculating that there has to be more going on behind the scenes. I think there's more than enough evidence to suggest that Padilla is not in Kirk’s good graces.......

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
Not a conspiracy, just confusing. Why do other position groups that perform poorly in games have others rotate in but never at QB?
Because our QBs suck!!! We have good players at almost every single position and the competition is extremely healthy and even that doesn’t keep our “brilliant fans“ from constantly thinking somebody else should be playing?

Case in point, right off the bat our fans or “those fans“ wondered why Quinn Schulte was playing and he is a stud!!

They don’t have anybody that has performed better than Petras…or he’d be playing…

Now with that said I too would have benched him!! I mean it absolutely!! But I have a whole different professional mindset than some of you guys… I know I’ve got critics in my own job all the rest of you should realize you too have critics in your life and your job as a parent, as a husband etc. etc.… So I’m gonna let Kirk Ferentz do his job. If I get to the point I don’t wanna watch I won’t!

Finally I don’t want to listen to message board heroes that for all I know are deadbeats, jerks, assholes and don’t know nothing about nothing, constantly bitching that’s why I stay away…just popped in today for a few minutes!

If all the QB's are bad, then you jettison either Padilla or Petras in off season and you bring in a transfer. Or you go with youth and higher upside at QB. KF would never play a true freshman at QB, but other successful coaches have no issues doing so. The fact is the offense is 100% on Ferentz and it is one of the worst units in football. KF being carried by Phil Parker.

LOL…. Who he hired… Honestly even when I don’t respond I just chuckled to myself when people say shit like this!

A coaches number one job is to win and win and win some more… Even as bad as the offense is and has been KF is better at his job than most anybody else on this board…

You’ll notice we all have time in our jobs to still go to this board?!?!

Sorry Kirk I know you’re the head coach and hired and helped recruit all the people that has made your special teams & defense elite units…But that doesn’t count, you only get to take credit for the offense…

My hope is that the heavy-handed critic is getting treated the same way in their own home and job!

Back to the original topic, I really hope Kirk is right and that the OL play will become more consistent as the season progresses, especially in run blocking. If Iowa doesn't have a running game we may as well forfeit, our running game is absolutely necessary unless we have an uber-dynamic QB out there who can really sling it and gain positive yards with his own feet. We do not have that kind of QB anywhere on our roster currently.

Sorry Kirk I know you’re the head coach and hired and helped recruit all the people that has made your special teams & defense elite units…But that doesn’t count, you only get to take credit for the offense…
I think if BF were now in his 6th year as DC and not OC, with team performance the same, I think people would be a little more patient with KF as far as the offense goes. The fact that the offense has had long-time struggles, highly indicating that outside ideas and autonomy were needed, and KF went on to hire his underqualified kid as OC, daring to tell the fans that it was the result of a nationwide search, and the offense has gone from bad to worse to generationally putrid, as BF has taken on more duties he's not qualified to handle, has made things come to a head, and is absolutely worthy of criticism.

Dunker should be a mainstay. I would go Dunker-Jones-Elsbury on the interior, then pray for two to emerge and separate at tackle. Or move Colby back to RG? Curious what others think?
I'm there too, Elsbury deserves more snaps and so does Dunker. Leave Colby at RT and see if continues to climb ladder and leave Richman at RT. Stephens to bench and Plumb as backup T if you need him.

Rutgers will be good test however we need a bit more than incremental improvement if we are to have a chance vs. Mich.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Heard from someone with inside information- Alex is entering the portal in December. If this guy knows it, then Kirk knows it and will not playan him. Probably explains why he did not play with the subs
Cant blame him or Labas if he decides to also go

Because our QBs suck!!! We have good players at almost every single position and the competition is extremely healthy and even that doesn’t keep our “brilliant fans“ from constantly thinking somebody else should be playing?

Case in point, right off the bat our fans or “those fans“ wondered why Quinn Schulte was playing and he is a stud!!

They don’t have anybody that has performed better than Petras…or he’d be playing…

Now with that said I too would have benched him!! I mean it absolutely!! But I have a whole different professional mindset than some of you guys… I know I’ve got critics in my own job all the rest of you should realize you too have critics in your life and your job as a parent, as a husband etc. etc.… So I’m gonna let Kirk Ferentz do his job. If I get to the point I don’t wanna watch I won’t!

Finally I don’t want to listen to message board heroes that for all I know are deadbeats, jerks, assholes and don’t know nothing about nothing, constantly bitching that’s why I stay away…just popped in today for a few minutes!
A lot of this sounds like a nice holier than thou take on everything from sports to personal lives. Schulte and Petras are two completely different scenarios. I don't think many people are asking for Schulte to be replaced after seeing what he can do. He had all of one game experience last year not counting mop up duty. No QB has performed better than Petras due to zero opportunity. And how is anyone here to know that you too aren't some deadbeat jerk asshole spouting nothing about nothing? Your words, not mine.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Should have used the portal last year for both QB and OL. Given the success of Iowa linemen in the NFL (two first team All-Pro last year), Iowa would be considered an appealing option for OLs who were in the portal, so I don’t get the “we tried but couldn’t land anyone” excuse.

At least for the OL we did trying for at least 3, but missed on all of them. Per David eickholt, Iowa also tried to get a transfer qb, including the guy that ended up at Indiana.

Back to the original topic, I really hope Kirk is right and that the OL play will become more consistent as the season progresses, especially in run blocking. If Iowa doesn't have a running game we may as well forfeit, our running game is absolutely necessary unless we have an uber-dynamic QB out there who can really sling it and gain positive yards with his own feet. We do not have that kind of QB anywhere on our roster currently.

One thing that’s stood out to me, and I’ve seen others mention as well; Jones has been inconsistent at getting the snap up to Petras at times, causing a delay. There were still several plays where the linemen moved on the snap but Petras didn’t have the ball yet, throwing off the timing of the play. On some it made the blocking look worse than it actually was, throwing off the entire play.

Well I am going to call some bullshit on this statement. The Ferentzes are OLine coaches and Kirk supposedly a guru/Olinemen whisperer and the Oline practices againsts very tough front seven at two the 2 deep level. So that situation should give Kirk and the other coaches plenty of spring and August practice tape to find the 5 starters.

I would really think they should have figured out who the best combination of 5 Olinemen were by the beginning of the first game. This seems like another weird excuse.

We should have seen a mostly starting 5 by the first game with just a little bit of substitution to give guys a breather after the defense gets a quick 3 and out and to give the backups some limited reps.
Every year I am amazed that KF/Iowa are unprepared for the first few games. Also, if you have youngsters in a position (OL) by now wouldn't be easier to train them, for on position until they get it or fail? Ferentz is an excuse machine covering his own incompetent ***.

Reactions: uihawk82

Our OL sucks too, but they are rotating players in and out to see who performs in games. That's my point. Kirk flat out said in his quote that he needs to see the OL in game situations. Well I would argue seeing QBs in game situations is even more important, since they don't get hit in practice. Completely different ballgame.

ADVERTISEMENT