ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Minnesota Insight: Their Defense Is as Elite as Iowa's?

Minnesota's defense is not awesome. They have played by far the weakest schedule in the conference. No wins over a winning team. 1 win against 5-5 Sparty. New Mexico St. is 4-5. Western Illinois is 0-10. Colorado is 1-9. Rutgers is 4-6. Nebraska is 3-7. Northwestern is 1-9.

Goldy has double digit losses to every team with a winning record played thus far. Tough game for us but hardly a team to fear, much less assume a certain loss. Pretty much a one-dimensional turnover factory, as usual.
In other words, Minnesota is exactly what OP "says" Iowa is.

Excellent post, BTW. 👍

Minnesota's defense is not awesome. They have played by far the weakest schedule in the conference. No wins over a winning team. 1 win against 5-5 Sparty. New Mexico St. is 4-5. Western Illinois is 0-10. Colorado is 1-9. Rutgers is 4-6. Nebraska is 3-7. Northwestern is 1-9.

Goldy has double digit losses to every team with a winning record played thus far. Tough game for us but hardly a team to fear, much less assume a certain loss. Pretty much a one-dimensional turnover factory, as usual.
They are an interesting study. Gophers and Boilers really had THE setup to win the West this year. Neither played Michigan or OSU, while Iowa played Michigan/OSU and Wisconsin had OSU.

Gophers defense has been very, very good against bad offenses. Iowa has a bad offense, so I would not be shocked if Iowa has a ton of trouble moving the ball.

Gophers losses:

Lost 20-10 to Purdue. Boilers had 360 yards of offense. Big thing was 160 on the ground. If Iowa gets anywhere near 160, Hawks are likely to win.
Against Illinois (26-14 Illini win), Illinois had over 400 yards of offense. Devito probably had the game of his life. Big item was Minnesota threw 3 picks, Illinois had 0 turnovers. Minnesota ran the ball very well, but had to stop running when they got behind and game was over.
Penn State, they gave up nearly 500 yards of offense to the Lions. PSU ran and passed, did whatever they wanted in 46-17 win.

Basically, in the games Minnesota has lost the opponent has got after their defense. They haven't been able to throw very effectively at all once Morgan got hurt. Morgan isn't fantastic, but he's at 67% completion for the year and averaging nearly 9 yards per attempt. Those are very good numbers. The guy replacing him has been under 50% and has thrown 3 interceptions in 58 pass attempts.

I like Iowa to win the game, but the Iowa offense is going to have to do something in the game. Gophers have really, really dominated bad offenses. Iowa is in the bad offense category.

You realize our offense stinks and our record is similar to all of these teams you just called out, right?

I remember that last year the Gophers did a great job of playing keep away from the Hawks ... they completely owned the TOP ... and moved down the field pretty well. Fortunately, our bend-but-not-break D at least forced FGs instead of TDs.

Fortunately, some guys made some big plays on O ... and we were able to hold on.

Last year, their OL kinda had their way against our front 7 ... at least before the field got compressed. I hope that our guys remember that ... and don't allow a repeat. I don't trust our O to pull off the big plays like they did last year.

I remember that last year the Gophers did a great job of playing keep away from the Hawks ... they completely owned the TOP ... and moved down the field pretty well. Fortunately, our bend-but-not-break D at least forced FGs instead of TDs.

Fortunately, some guys made some big plays on O ... and we were able to hold on.

Last year, their OL kinda had their way against our front 7 ... at least before the field got compressed. I hope that our guys remember that ... and don't allow a repeat. I don't trust our O to pull off the big plays like they did last year.

Yeah the Defense was worn down a bit at that point and had trouble getting off the field. Based on their performance vs Wisconsin I’m optimistic they’ll do better this year.

Offensively, you hope the line play bounces back from last week (could hardly be worse) and at least fights their D to a draw. Otherwise they need to do what they did last week and last year, score and take advantage of the opportunities the D and special teams provides them.

I honestly believe we’re the better team, but god knows Minnesota and Fleck want this one BAD.

I honestly believe we’re the better team, but god knows Minnesota and Fleck want this one BAD.
I think that you're absolutely correct. Not unlike the case of Matt Campbell ... Ferentz and the Hawks have been a thorn in PJ's side. Campbell finally got his win against the Hawks. I hope PJ doesn't pull it off this year.

I'll be curious as to who ends up being the QB for the Gophers this Saturday. If the veteran plays ... then I think that really helps the Gophers chances. If the younger QB plays ... then I think that I wouldn't trust a young QB to win the chess match against Iowa's D.

Of course, turnovers are always the equalizer ... so who knows!?

As far as comparing Minnesota's defense to Iowa's, you are comparing apples and dump trucks.

Minnesota's opponents total offense ranking...

New Mexico State #127
Western Illinois #118 in FCS
Colorado #124
Michigan State #103
Purdue #44
Illinois #59
Penn State #35
Rutgers #121
Debbie #86
Northwestern #100

The one offense they played in the top 40 put up nearly 500 total yards.

So no...no insight and definitely not interesting, Slaw. But keep stirring your little pot.
So given that it appears our Hawk offense is ranked 130, should the above make us feel better or worse? 😂

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
To be fair, both Northwestern and Notre Dame held Ohio State to 21 points, so their offense is not invincible. The Buckeyes put up nearly triple that against the Hawks (54 pts). Of course, that was due to some of the worst Iowa quarterbacking this century.
Old you are '',huh?

@The Deplorable Sleeping Dog takes @IowasLaw 's lunch money. Excellent...

You realize our offense stinks and our record is similar to all of these teams you just called out, right?
How is 6-4 similar to 0-9 or 1-9, or 4-5 for that matter? The only Goldy win to a team with a "similar" record is Sparty at 5-5.

Two of Iowa's losses are by one play. All of Minnesota's losses are double digit.

Now what you really wanted was just an opportunity to trash the team by comparing it to the mostly dogs that constitute all of Minnesota's wins. Yes, I realize our offense isn't very good, but I anticipate a lot of short fields.

I firmly believe that Iowa has the best defense in the country outside of Georgia. With that said, lots of arguments in this thread suggesting that Minnesota's defense isn't very good on a relative basis and that they have benefited from an easier schedule.

Anecdotal references to how many points were given up to this team or that team are irrelevant for the most part. There are metrics that are adjusted for the strength of the opponents and go way beyond basic stats like points and yards per game. DFEI takes nine different metrics to measure defensive efficiency, and then adjusts for the opponents' offenses. Iowa is #2. Minnesota is #11, three spots in front of Wisconsin, and three spots behind Illinois. B1G dominates the defensive rankings with half the teams in the top 14.

I firmly believe that Iowa has the best defense in the country outside of Georgia. With that said, lots of arguments in this thread suggesting that Minnesota's defense isn't very good on a relative basis and that they have benefited from an easier schedule.

Anecdotal references to how many points were given up to this team or that team are irrelevant for the most part. There are metrics that are adjusted for the strength of the opponents and go way beyond basic stats like points and yards per game. DFEI takes nine different metrics to measure defensive efficiency, and then adjusts for the opponents' offenses. Iowa is #2. Minnesota is #11, three spots in front of Wisconsin, and three spots behind Illinois. B1G dominates the defensive rankings with half the teams in the top 14.

Idk that anyone’s arguing their defense isn’t good, just that a lot of their rankings are skewed based on their schedule (their offensive stats are likewise skewed)

I expect a game similar to Wisconsin. The team that makes the most big plays wins.

As far as comparing Minnesota's defense to Iowa's, you are comparing apples and dump trucks.

So no...no insight and definitely not interesting, Slaw. But keep stirring your little pot.
Well, aside from @myteamcanbeatupyourteam, @The Deplorable Sleeping Dog, and his lapdog @jamesvanderwulf....

No one watching the Iowa v Minnesota game thought Minnesota's defense was clearly outclassed by Iowa's. No one thought OP didn't make an interesting pre-game observation (on a football message board, no less). Perhaps being a keyboard tough guy and arguing that the nation's #4 rated defense "sucks" on the basis that they haven't played Ohio State works in junior high, but the educated world goes by data. So how did the two defenses perform head to head:

Iowa's super duper elite defense was gifted the luxury of playing against Minnesota's FRESHMEN backup QB. They had all week to prepare for a one dimensional running offense. Somehow, Iowa's defense was still carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey, allowing Mo Ibrahim the greatest rushing performance of his entire career. The guy single handedly gashed Iowa's superior D for 263 rushing yards, averaging nearly 7 yards per carry. Heck, even their freshmen QB averaged 8 yards per carry. Minnesota was 7 of 16 on 3rd down, which defenses rarely give up. At the end of the day, Minn's "weak" offense finished with 400 yards of total offense against Iowa's "apples to dump truck" defense.

Minnesota's cowardly Ohio State skipping defense, on the other hand, played against a 3 year starter QB. They still stuffed Iowa for just 59 rushing yards and held the team to just 280 yards the entire game. They held the Hawkeyes to just 3-11 on 3rd down, moving up to #1 nationally in that stat. They put a lot of pressure on the QB and recorded the game's only sack.

So yeah, like with most IowaLaw posts, the OP turned out to be insightful, accurate, and objective. He even nearly nailed the final score prediction.

Well, aside from @myteamcanbeatupyourteam, @The Deplorable Sleeping Dog, and his lapdog @jamesvanderwulf....

No one watching the Iowa v Minnesota game thought Minnesota's defense was clearly outclassed by Iowa's. No one thought OP didn't make an interesting pre-game observation (on a football message board, no less). Perhaps being a keyboard tough guy and arguing that the nation's #4 rated defense "sucks" on the basis that they haven't played Ohio State works in junior high, but the educated world goes by data. So how did the two defenses perform head to head:

Iowa's super duper elite defense was gifted the luxury of playing against Minnesota's FRESHMEN backup QB. They had all week to prepare for a one dimensional running offense. Somehow, Iowa's defense was still carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey, allowing Mo Ibrahim the greatest rushing performance of his entire career. The guy single handedly gashed Iowa's superior D for 263 rushing yards, averaging nearly 7 yards per carry. Heck, even their freshmen QB averaged 8 yards per carry. Minnesota was 7 of 16 on 3rd down, which defenses rarely give up. At the end of the day, Minn's "weak" offense finished with 400 yards of total offense against Iowa's "apples to dump truck" defense.

Minnesota's cowardly Ohio State skipping defense, on the other hand, played against a 3 year starter QB. They still stuffed Iowa for just 59 rushing yards and held the team to just 280 yards the entire game. They held the Hawkeyes to just 3-11 on 3rd down, moving up to #1 nationally in that stat. They put a lot of pressure on the QB and recorded the game's only sack.

So yeah, like with most IowaLaw posts, the OP turned out to be insightful, accurate, and objective. He even nearly nailed the final score prediction.
George likes his chicken spicy.

Are you going to post in the third person from here on out? You're pissed Iowa won, troll.

Your point was that Minnesota had just as good a defense as Iowa, they don't. Otherwise how could Petras have possibly thrown for over 200 yards? No way the worst QB in division 1 (your words) could do that. Pretty sure this Iowa defense, against the worst offense in D1, isn't giving up 13 at home. Nice try, Slaw.

Last edited:
Gotta admit, Kirk practices what he preaches.
It's interesting that all the ball-control Os represented there ... Iowa, Northwestern, and Minnesota ... they all thought that total yards were overrated.

I thought that it was interesting that Schiano thought time of possession was overrated. Given that Schiano is more of a defensive guy ... I think that is more reflective of the fact that he doesn't really have an offense yet that has much of an identity.

Whose lapdog is Der Vanderwulfen? Mine or MyTeam's? Having a lapdog is cool and fun. I will have him post just outrageous shit if I really have a lapdog.

How do I control this lapdog? Is like casting for a vampire? Or something less powerful or more subtle.

Here's a hypothesis, maybe people agree with me because I am usually right? For example, were I out here beating my chest about Minnesota's LOSING defensive effort people might think I was a ****ing idiot. Iowa gave up a lot of long runs between the 20s but only surrendered 10 points and produced the game winning turnover. Indeed, I think the Goophers only had 2 red zone possessions, although I haven't taken the time to do the play by play so I could be mistaken.

Then there's the total of 87 passing yards-which is like a bad high school offense. Surely the inept Iowa defense gets some credit there-or is that defensive success only because the other team's QB was 2nd string?
Why do you even bother watching. You don't enjoy the games, bitch before and after the games regardless of result, spend months creating incredibly silly scenarios that diminish every accomplishment. You hate the head coach and the OC. Just walk away and you can preserve at least the dignity of showing the crowd that has grown so tired you and your ilk see only your back and you can avoid seeing that crowd laughing at you as you find your new home with tOSU or perhaps ND.

**** dude, you didn't even get the humor of calling someone whose name involves a wolf while calling them a lap dog. I mean at least give the guy credit for being a lap wolf.

Did you get that @jamesvanderwulf? I'm casting you to ridicule this douche canoe.​

Last edited:

I love that you're starting to double down in these replies.

It shows that we're starting to get to you. ;)

Reactions: cmhawks99

And in the end the result was a loss to a very bad Iowa offense. That vaunted Defensive from Minnesota allowed Iowa to gain about 50 more yards than their per game average while Iowa held them below their seasons average. Not by much but they did. Oh, and they held the Freshmen QB's passing yards to a third of his normal production. Statistics are not the end all be all when it comes to life. The Minnesota defense has the luxury of a good ball control offense (plus 10 minutes of possession) and they still gave up more yards to Iowa than they average.

What's your point. Iowa won.

Remind me again....how many points did Minnesota score? Did their D do a nice job shutting down Iowa's inept offense...pretty much, but not enough to win the game.

If you're going to judge the quality of Minny's defense based on their ability to prevent a team with the worst offense in the country from racking up yards and points, you're a complete idiot. Stopping Iowa is like taking candy from a baby.

Also....that was vintage Iowa bend-don't-break D. I've seen many teams gain a crapton of yards vs Iowa and lose the game. In fact, it happens a lot. Bottom line: The D clamped down where it counted, forced two key turnovers, capitalized on one, and won the game. Most people here were saying Ibrahim would get his yards. You can pat yourself on the back all you want, but the Iowa D won the key stat: points allowed.

Reactions: desihawk
Minnesota is known for their rushing attack. Mo Ibrahim, an all-American RB, is the nation's 4th leading rusher averaging 140 yards rushing per game. Since they're just 4-3 in the Big 10 despite having an elite running game, you would think they'd have major holes on defense that Iowa can exploit. They don't.

Their defense is actually equal to or better than Iowa's. Pretty shocking:

Minnesota ranks #4 nationally in scoring defense. Iowa ranks #5.
Minnesota ranks #8 nationally in passing defense. Iowa ranks #10.
Minnesota ranks #8 nationally in total defense. Iowa ranks #3.
Minnesota ranks #2 nationally in 3rd down conversion D. Iowa ranks #17.

In other words, expect Brian Ferentz's offense to struggle mightily this week. Tory Taylor will see a LOT of playing time. Bet the under. Iowa wins 9-6.
Hawk elite defense LOL. What a joke, same play 350 yards. Be done. Stop confusing bad offense with good defense. How many will Ohio St put up this time, is 45 acceptable on this Elite D BS.

Hawk elite defense LOL. What a joke, same play 350 yards. Be done. Stop confusing bad offense with good defense. How many will Ohio St put up this time, is 45 acceptable on this Elite D BS.
Listening to the same bullshit before the Purdue game-a team that has an explosive offense. Iowa can't stop them. Charlie Jones will catch 10,000 yards of just 3000 targets. Yet, they lost at home to Iowa after scoring well below their average.

tOSU is in a class by itself in the Big Ten so comparing the rest of the league to the Brutus is kind of like comparing the current Russian army to the Red Army in The Big One.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyePillowBiter

All you turned out to be forever remains: "delusional"

Remind me again....how many points did Minnesota score? Did their D do a nice job shutting down Iowa's inept offense...pretty much, but not enough to win the game.

If you're going to judge the quality of Minny's defense based on their ability to prevent a team with the worst offense in the country from racking up yards and points, you're a complete idiot. Stopping Iowa is like taking candy from a baby.

Also....that was vintage Iowa bend-don't-break D. I've seen many teams gain a crapton of yards vs Iowa and lose the game. In fact, it happens a lot. Bottom line: The D clamped down where it counted, forced two key turnovers, capitalized on one, and won the game. Most people here were saying Ibrahim would get his yards. You can pat yourself on the back all you want, but the Iowa D won the key stat: points allowed.
Works vs bad teams. Not so much the better ones.

We saw what they did to the Hawk D. Michigan ran same play up and down the field. Ohio St did whatever they wanted in second half. And indoors at Indy, oh my. Hopefully, they are not interested.

For what it’s worth, nobody thinks you’re an Iowa fan, your jealousy is showing!

If you’re really that up in arms about Iowa’s defense & subsequent PR, I’d take it up with the national pundits & the metric aggregators… Because they’re the ones postulating Iowas defense is so good, you’re wasting your time in here!

Last edited:
The truth is somewhere in Between IowaLaw's hot take and the KF paid P.R. team that posts here.

This Iowa defense is elite at getting turnovers and doing more with less talent. Maybe it is a top5 defense but the soft schedule is also a component. The DL doesn't get a lot of pass rush pressure on its own and it just got dominatedly by Minesota Oline. Even if Iowa's defense is elite, it doesn't matter, Iowa's offense is far from elite.

Winning the West is nice, but it is the product of of a weak division. No one in the West deserves to go to Indy.

If Iowa wins the actual B1G championship in Indy this time, then every Iowa fan has right to be Excited. If Iowa gets another Beatdown in Indy--- just like last year, the truth is obvious..this is good team, above average, but would have been buried in 4th place behind Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State if it was in the Big10 East.

Minnesota, Illinois are pretty comparable in talent level and W/L....beating Minnesota took some luck and we played both Minnesota and Illiniois against their backup QBs. The sad thing about this year is Iowa missed a chance to be a really good team because the guys that coached/recruited the Offense didn't do a good job and the stinking mess that is the offense makes it hard to recruit to make it better.

The truth is somewhere in Between IowaLaw's hot take and the KF paid P.R. team that posts here.

This Iowa defense is elite at getting turnovers and doing more with less talent. Maybe it is a top5 defense but the soft schedule is also a component. The DL doesn't get a lot of pass rush pressure on its own and it just got dominatedly by Minesota Oline. Even if Iowa's defense is elite, it doesn't matter, Iowa's offense is far from elite.

Winning the West is nice, but it is the product of of a weak division. No one in the West deserves to go to Indy.

If Iowa wins the actual B1G championship in Indy this time, then every Iowa fan has right to be Excited. If Iowa gets another Beatdown in Indy--- just like last year, the truth is obvious..this is good team, above average, but would have been buried in 4th place behind Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State if it was in the Big10 East.

Minnesota, Illinois are pretty comparable in talent level and W/L....beating Minnesota took some luck and we played both Minnesota and Illiniois against their backup QBs. The sad thing about this year is Iowa missed a chance to be a really good team because the guys that coached/recruited the Offense didn't do a good job and the stinking mess that is the offense makes it hard to recruit to make it better.
What's Iowa's strength of schedule?

Why behind Penn State? F*** Penn State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT