ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting off-season quote

win1forthe

HR Heisman
Mar 12, 2004
I recently saw this quote from Brian Ferentz. It was in an August 14, 2022 article regarding how they addressed improving the offense in the off-season.

“That’s the goal right now, be more efficient, and be more effective on the field,” he said. “Last year wasn’t what we wanted, so what can we do moving forward is to get better at everything, knowing that specific results will follow.”

I found ‘to get better at everything’ part very interesting. I’ve worked in several different fields, including education, and never had a supervisor ask people ‘to get better at everything’. In a world with so much data at your fingertips, how about, ‘we really need to be better on first down because the data shows if we get three yards on first down…’ or ‘we need to be laser focused on red-zone production.’

I just find it really hard to believe their goal was ‘to get better at everything’. I have always found focusing on several specific goals leads to better results than focusing on everything.

Maybe it’s just ‘coach-speak’ but then I saw this quote in the same article.

‘We need to be faster, everyday we need to go out there and do what we’re doing, but we need to do it faster and more effectively”

Not sure how that helps with blocking, mechanics or play-calling.

Go ahead and tell me I’m an old man screaming at a cloud, probably deserve it.

the time it takes for petras to drop back or reach the point where he hands off to the rb is visibly bad, don't even need to time it. possibly the worst in the country and could well be correlated to the offensive ranking. unfixable without swapping him out. so yeah, i still believe this entire offensive shitshow is largely self-inflicted.

Coming off of last year, when virtually everything went wrong all at once, saying they need to be better at everything i think is true. I gave them the benefit of the doubt when they clearly went with the idea that the line would be better with a year of development for the young guys, more depth/experience from the RB position - imo, the play of the RBs has been one of the few positives and we need to get Kaleb more carries. Spencer...I expected if they went with him again that he'd have a short leash; while i'm not surprised the WR position has been inconsistent, due in large part to the injuries/attrition there, I expected that either Spencer unexpectedly took that leap, or we'd have seen Padilla/Labas by now. Brian has been his usual inconsistent self as the playcaller - does stuff I think is pretty smart, then turnsaround and makes inexplicable calls that i don't understand at all. Perfect combination of Brian not always putting players in position to succeed, followed by players not executing when he does make the good play call as well.

Barring a massive turnaround, it seems impossible to see Brian return as OC. Zero reason the offense can't evolve to be like that of Michigan's offense...but Kirk needs to accept that the offensive philosophy/scheme has to evolve. Michigan's offense yesterday was relatively low-risk, but they bludgeoned PSU into submission.

Coming off of last year, when virtually everything went wrong all at once, saying they need to be better at everything i think is true. I gave them the benefit of the doubt when they clearly went with the idea that the line would be better with a year of development for the young guys, more depth/experience from the RB position - imo, the play of the RBs has been one of the few positives and we need to get Kaleb more carries. Spencer...I expected if they went with him again that he'd have a short leash; while i'm not surprised the WR position has been inconsistent, due in large part to the injuries/attrition there, I expected that either Spencer unexpectedly took that leap, or we'd have seen Padilla/Labas by now. Brian has been his usual inconsistent self as the playcaller - does stuff I think is pretty smart, then turnsaround and makes inexplicable calls that i don't understand at all. Perfect combination of Brian not always putting players in position to succeed, followed by players not executing when he does make the good play call as well.

Barring a massive turnaround, it seems impossible to see Brian return as OC. Zero reason the offense can't evolve to be like that of Michigan's offense...but Kirk needs to accept that the offensive philosophy/scheme has to evolve. Michigan's offense yesterday was relatively low-risk, but they bludgeoned PSU into submission.
Michigan has just a little more talent than we do. I don’t care how well we execute, until the talent level improves it isn’t gonna happen. Part of the execution problem is the lack of talent. We won’t be getting crap for talent at the skill positions on offense for years to come thanks to Kirk and Brian.

I really find nothing wrong with his comments, Iowa did and still does need to get better at everything. They have position specific coaches so it’s not like they need to have tunnel vision and focus on one or two things.
Lots of things you can be critical of in regard to Brian, IMO looking for something negative in those comments is stretching it a bit.

Reactions: Hendy hawk

great post - except (unfortunately) I can't agree with : it seems impossible to see Brian return as OC

Even if we were to lose out, BF would come back as OC....MAYBE losing his 'QBs coach' title which as we all know is a complete joke to begin with...

Michigan has just a little more talent than we do. I don’t care how well we execute, until the talent level improves it isn’t gonna happen. Part of the execution problem is the lack of talent. We won’t be getting crap for talent at the skill positions on offense for years to come thanks to Kirk and Brian.
Of course. i threw them out as an example of an offense that is still at heart a conservative, run-heavy scheme. we don’t need to have their talent-level to be successful in that scheme.

great post - except (unfortunately) I can't agree with : it seems impossible to see Brian return as OC

Even if we were to lose out, BF would come back as OC....MAYBE losing his 'QBs coach' title which as we all know is a complete joke to begin with...
I admit that’s maybe me being optimistic/pessimistic…I just can’t fathom how even Kirk, as stubborn as he can be at times, could bring back Brian as OC after back to back bottom of the country offenses. Once you could sell me as the “year from hell” type season that happens occasionally. Two years shows there’s something deeper.

I admit that’s maybe me being optimistic/pessimistic…I just can’t fathom how even Kirk, as stubborn as he can be at times, could bring back Brian as OC after back to back bottom of the country offenses. Once you could sell me as the “year from hell” type season that happens occasionally. Two years shows there’s something deeper.
yeah, no worries on being optimistic ;)

Maybe the problem is that Kirk and Brian have not been given a measurable total offensive goal by G Barta? The minimum goal should be to be at least in the top half of FBS offenses. Once upon a time there was something called Management by Objective. Under it you had a measurable objective to meet for each area or tasks you were responsible. Your annual job performance was rated on if you exceeded, met, or didn't meet the objectives for each item you were responsible. If you didn't meet the objectives you would be put into corrective action.

Under this concept Kirk and Brian would have been under performers when it came to the offense. Their low performance in this one critical area was over written by a suspect win loss record over the last five years because of defense. In the opposite situation Kirk and Phil Parker would be rewarded with exceeding standard. This would be true for the special teams coordinator.

Gary Barta should be building a case for termination of Brian on a method like the aforementioned. It could also be used as just cause for rightful termination of Kirk and no payout. College football became a professional sport when NIL came along and I'm not sure the current AD and many AD's are cognizant of how to manage in the new environment. Iowa has to decide between "doing it the right way" or "doing it a new way". When USC and UCLA become members on the field and court it is a whole new game and completely different circumstances when Fry and Ferentz were hired. The major backers have to decide if Barta is their person to lead the way. Right now he seems absent from the role.

When the MIchigan QB juked our NFL bound MLB campbell out of what should have been a sure sack---that was pretty clearly a play none of the Iowa QBs could make. Mobility is not high on KF's QB evaluation list---if it was, we wouldn't have 3 pocket passers and a little slower guy in Padillo as the only QB options.

KF has never bought into mobile QBs, running the QB intentionally, QB option reads, QB as a position where you don't give a guy the union card based on seniority....Michigan as an entire different level athletically, but there is no reason Iowa couldn't have comparable offensive talent/success as Minnesota, ISU, etc..

Reactions: win1forthe
I recently saw this quote from Brian Ferentz. It was in an August 14, 2022 article regarding how they addressed improving the offense in the off-season.

“That’s the goal right now, be more efficient, and be more effective on the field,” he said. “Last year wasn’t what we wanted, so what can we do moving forward is to get better at everything, knowing that specific results will follow.”

I found ‘to get better at everything’ part very interesting. I’ve worked in several different fields, including education, and never had a supervisor ask people ‘to get better at everything’. In a world with so much data at your fingertips, how about, ‘we really need to be better on first down because the data shows if we get three yards on first down…’ or ‘we need to be laser focused on red-zone production.’

I just find it really hard to believe their goal was ‘to get better at everything’. I have always found focusing on several specific goals leads to better results than focusing on everything.

‘We need to be faster, everyday we need to go out there and do what we’re doing, but we need to do it faster and more effectively”

If he loses the QB coach title you either go without one or another coach has to go. Fire Barnett, move bf there and hire a qb coach

Why do you say "2 years"? Brian the Boob has been OC for now his 6th season and the offensive has been putrid the entire time.

Lazy answer from BF, in my experience when management gives an answer like that they are not really interested in fixing a damn thing.

BF is nothing more than rhetorical window dressing. Can be interviewed for two hours and tell you nothing of any substance and then enlighten you with the QB in his system is a “Facilitator”.

Maybe the problem is that Kirk and Brian have not been given a measurable total offensive goal by G Barta? The minimum goal should be to be at least in the top half of FBS offenses. Once upon a time there was something called Management by Objective. Under it you had a measurable objective to meet for each area or tasks you were responsible. Your annual job performance was rated on if you exceeded, met, or didn't meet the objectives for each item you were responsible. If you didn't meet the objectives you would be put into corrective action.
Yes, you beat me to it. Among other things, goals to be effective, need to specific and measurable.

He's just spouting off air-headed BS and continues to show, in every way, that he's in way over his head.

Because all other complaints aside the offense wasn’t completely broken until the last 2 seasons.
I said it was "putrid" and it was. Bottom 1/3 even during its best year. To keep a coach with such a horrible track record is mind-boggling. They must be related. ;)

I said it was "putrid" and it was. Bottom 1/3 even during its best year. To keep a coach with such a horrible track record is mind-boggling. They must be related. ;)
In previous years the offense at least had stuff to hang it’s hat on that it was at least semi-effective. Red zone efficiency for example. Last two years? It’s bad across the board, nothing to even start to build off of.

In previous years the offense at least had stuff to hang it’s hat on that it was at least semi-effective. Red zone efficiency for example. Last two years? It’s bad across the board, nothing to even start to build off of.
I get what you are saying. They did have some effectiveness; but, even that was sub-par. They haven't been good at red zone efficiency the entire Brian reign. At one point (memory here), Iowa failed on 10 2 point conversions attempts in a row and I only recall one successful one ever under Brian.

I get what you are saying. They did have some effectiveness; but, even that was sub-par. They haven't been good at red zone efficiency the entire Brian reign. At one point (memory here), Iowa failed on 10 2 point conversions attempts in a row and I only recall one successful one ever under Brian.

They were pretty good at least one of the Hock/Fant years but I’ll concede the point. 2 pointers looked more like a statistical anomaly to me; I remember at least one where Stanley ran into a official at Wisconsin for example and stopped his momentum, otherwise he’d have scored.

Last year, how broken the offense truly was, was papered over the start to the seaskn - Iowa actually scored on every turnover forced by the defense, was getting points on short fields forced by special teams, etc. post-Penn state they became less efficient and it became clear how broken the scheme was.

They were pretty good at least one of the Hock/Fant years but I’ll concede the point. 2 pointers looked more like a statistical anomaly to me; I remember at least one where Stanley ran into a official at Wisconsin for example and stopped his momentum, otherwise he’d have scored.

Last year, how broken the offense truly was, was papered over the start to the seaskn - Iowa actually scored on every turnover forced by the defense, was getting points on short fields forced by special teams, etc. post-Penn state they became less efficient and it became clear how broken the scheme was.

2017 97th
2018 50th
2019 4th
2020 10th
2021 122nd
2022 126th

it has been a mixed bag on red zone. Definitely trending the wrong way but a decent 3 year stretch to hide the warts.

Last edited:
Reactions: sober_teacher
2017 97th
2018 50th
2019 4th
2020 10th
2021 122nd
2022 126th

it has been a mixed bag on red zone. Definitely trending the wrong way but a decent 3 year stretch to hide the warts.

Agreed, 2017 I gave a break to Brian - first year as OC, the WR was as bad as I’ve ever seen it, Fant and Hock didn’t emerge until the Ohio state game, etc. stuff that you could rationalize at the time.

ADVERTISEMENT