ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting scotus orders this am...

Aardvark86

HR Heisman
Jan 23, 2018
Denials of cert in...
- case where potential juror struck for perception of traditional beliefs, where a party was a lesbian (unanimous, perhaps in part due to procedural fleas, but Alito statement noting appropriateness of merits for review.)
- TJ case on racial consideration in magnet high school admissions

Nothing I could see in Trump cases, though I suspect that could be subject to a separate order at some point given emergency docket.

Note tomorrow, opinions in argued cases forthcoming.

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Denials of cert in...
- case where potential juror struck for perception of traditional beliefs, where a party was a lesbian (unanimous, perhaps in part due to procedural fleas, but Alito statement noting appropriateness of merits for review.)
- TJ case on racial consideration in magnet high school admissions

Nothing I could see in Trump cases, though I suspect that could be subject to a separate order at some point given emergency docket.

Note tomorrow, opinions in argued cases forthcoming.

Also rejected three red states’ request to intervene in the 5th Circuit mifepristone case.

Also rejected three red states’ request to intervene in the 5th Circuit mifepristone case.
yeah, there were a surprisingly high number of things like this and declinations of amicus briefs in some of the 'sexy' cases. Almost made me wonder whether they were getting a bit fed up.

For my money, the states really don't have much of an interest supporting intervention in these proceedings; it's a simple matter of the review of the FDA approval. (Full disclosure: industry schill speaking here)

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
Procedural problems in their lower court history that make them inappropriate vehicles to consider an otherwise potentially worthy substantive issue. (For example, while 95% of the people on this site don't believe this, there is actually still a reluctance on the part of the court as a whole to take on cases that don't present actual cases or controversies, cases where the party bringing the claim isn't the right one to do so, and cases where a decision on the merits could be perceived as unnecessary overreach given that they could have been disposed on procedural grounds without reaching said merits).

Reactions: h-hawk
yeah, there were a surprisingly high number of things like this and declinations of amicus briefs in some of the 'sexy' cases. Almost made me wonder whether they were getting a bit fed up.

For my money, the states really don't have much of an interest supporting intervention in these proceedings; it's a simple matter of the review of the FDA approval. (Full disclosure: industry schill speaking here)

And whether that review was timely requested … ;-)

Reactions: Aardvark86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT