ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting short read - hard to disagree

Packer54

HR All-American
Mar 30, 2014

I was there Saturday and saw the two bad overthrows, but also I saw him get hammered numerous times as well as a running game that was non existent. Probably one of the worst officiated games I ever saw as well (at least in football). Our defense had it taken to them in the first half. And there I sat as we lined up for a 4th down ready to get it to a 6 point game with about 5 minutes left. Told the person next to me this has ALL the makings of a short pass to a TE....a BF staple.

But...the weather and the tailgating was awesome!

I read the article and agree with it. While Petras has been bad at times....he has been good too. I wonder what it's like to be him. Every time you line up for a pass play he must be saying in his head....I'm about to get crushed....I have to get the ball out quickly....I can't expect any protection.....here it comes.....oh shit.....

You can think or say things like he has no mental or physical toughness. Might be true. But....I have to say....the guy gets people in his face so quickly nearly every time he drops back to pass. I feel bad for the kid, honestly. And I agree...he's an easy target to pick on because the position, by it's nature, is under the microscope all of the time. He deserves some blame for sure. But for Christ sake....can you really (think about it) blame him for everything? With a decent O line and better receivers, his performance and stat line would be significantly better.

I'll brace for my verbal ass beating now....

I was there Saturday and saw the two bad overthrows, but also I saw him get hammered numerous times as well as a running game that was non existent. Probably one of the worst officiated games I ever saw as well (at least in football). Our defense had it taken to them in the first half. And there I sat as we lined up for a 4th down ready to get it to a 6 point game with about 5 minutes left. Told the person next to me this has ALL the makings of a short pass to a TE....a BF staple.

It’s not all on Petras, but he is the worst quarterback in P5 and the third worst in D1. That’s without question.

Reality is you don’t get this bad of an offense without several factors. Even with Petras, if our OL wasn’t trash and we could consistently run the ball, we wouldn’t be bottom 5-10 in the country. It was also take some pressure off of Petras to help with play action and keeping defenses honest. There’s just not a lot of talent anywhere on offense outside of TE and TE’s don’t win games for you when everything else is trash.

Recruiting 3-5 years offensively was a complete miss. They need to evaluate what went wrong, what went right and try and improve there. Hate to say it, when you’re a developmental program and rely on players a lot of other schools don’t want, this is going to happen when you have misses.

A little mobility would help the offense. SP has occasional accuracy issues. AP may not be any more accurate but he does have the ability to not fold like a chair when any defensive player gets close…Some one needs to explain to me why he can’t have a series or two and if he doesn’t get it done then go back to SP and put that to rest. Not that hard.

I read the article and agree with it. While Petras has been bad at times....he has been good too. I wonder what it's like to be him. Every time you line up for a pass play he must be saying in his head....I'm about to get crushed....I have to get the ball out quickly....I can't expect any protection.....here it comes.....oh shit.....

You can think or say things like he has no mental or physical toughness. Might be true. But....I have to say....the guy gets people in his face so quickly nearly every time he drops back to pass. I feel bad for the kid, honestly. And I agree...he's an easy target to pick on because the position, by it's nature, is under the microscope all of the time. He deserves some blame for sure. But for Christ sake....can you really (think about it) blame him for everything? With a decent O line and better receivers, his performance and stat line would be significantly better.

Spencer has now had 3 consecutive games where he has been competent, and actually made several good throws vs Michigan. Thought running game was overall decent against a very good Michigan defense - hard to ignore the multiple bad penalties that brought back good running plays.
Reality is you don’t get this bad of an offense without several factors. Even with Petras, if our OL wasn’t trash and we could consistently run the ball, we wouldn’t be bottom 5-10 in the country. It was also take some pressure off of Petras to help with play action and keeping defenses honest. There’s just not a lot of talent anywhere on offense outside of TE and TE’s don’t win games for you when everything else is trash.

Recruiting 3-5 years offensively was a complete miss. They need to evaluate what went wrong, what went right and try and improve there. Hate to say it, when you’re a developmental program and rely on players a lot of other schools don’t want, this is going to happen when you have misses.

to me the problem at this point is scheme more than players. There’s just so little margin for error offensively.

Perhaps by the statistical analysis. In a scenario where every QB is level set with the same protection and compliment of WRs....he would not be anywhere close to the 3rd worse in D1.
Maybe. A lot of his misfires have been on him. With that said, he has the physical tools to make every throw. It’s the mental aspect of the game that’s the problem. And it hasn’t changed in three years.

I don't think anyone would argue that blame doesn't start and stop at the top. However, Petras should not be a D1 QB. We've had other QBs excel with less than stellar o lines and running games. (See drew tate, beathard)
CJ Beathard’s OL in 2016 won the Joe Moore award, so that was an elite line.

And it’s not like that 2015 OL was bad, I remember it being very solid actually.

Reactions: F5n5
The line has been awful last 2 seasons but I've seen way too many bad passes with plenty of time and a stiff breeze could take SP to the turf. Add receivers that can't stretch the field and have way too many drops and a scheme that is easy to prepare for and there's plenty of reasons why this O is an embarrassment.

Not many lines exist that can totally protect a qb who can't move or evade tackles so mobility needs to be a prerequisite for qb's in the future. It seems like they've figured that out and hopefully petras is our last human statue in the pocket

I honestly can't remember when Iowa has had an offensive line this bad. It always has been the case that our good teams have earned their wins in the trenches. The offensive line has not won that battle in any of the games. The D line has been better against poor competition, but they were owned my Michigan's O line.

When I saw Michigan march downfield on their opening drive, getting huge gains on the ground, I knew we were in trouble. With that level of success in the ground game, it massively reduces our chances of getting takeaways, which are pretty much a requirement for this offensively challenged team to win games.

Spencer has now had 3 consecutive games where he has been competent, and actually made several good throws vs Michigan. Thought running game was overall decent against a very good Michigan defense - hard to ignore the multiple bad penalties that brought back good running plays.

to me the problem at this point is scheme more than players. There’s just so little margin for error offensively.
Petras in the second halve played well and the offensive coordinator should have turned him loose. He looked better than McCarthy. A caller on WMT said it best, Iowa,s offensive scheme is outdated

No, he's not solely responsible for the entirety of the failures of the offense. He does play a significant role in them.
Definitely not an average qb for D1. Significantly below average, and that's overall D1. He's in the lower tiers when it comes to P5 programs.
It's quite reasonable to point out that all of the problems of the offense don't fall on Petras. There are multiple factors that have been laid out in more than a few threads. It's also clear that Petras is one of the reasons for the offense failures.
Getting a new qb1 doesn't fix the offensive problems. It is one of the important factors.

There really was only one drive were he got blown up 4 straight times and at the end of the game. Shoot we had Rutgers qb one the ground every play and he looked more comfortable. It's not Spencer fault he is out there. It's our other QB's not showing enough to get out there.

Maybe. A lot of his misfires have been on him. With that said, he has the physical tools to make every throw. It’s the mental aspect of the game that’s the problem. And it hasn’t changed in three years.
This

He has the tools to do it, but it is all mixed up upstairs. He is just not a gamer and hasn't been since he started. We were winning before because we had better offensive talent and an elite defense, not because of QB play.

He's godawful.
Interesting. I had no idea that was a compound word.

giphy.gif

CJ Beathard’s OL in 2016 won the Joe Moore award, so that was an elite line.

And it’s not like that 2015 OL was bad, I remember it being very solid actually.
Joe Moore was Kirk's HS coach, mentor, and friend. Doyle was tight with him too. Part of who chooses that award is a legacy committee comprised of former Moore players (many of Kirk's friends/acquaintances). You can call it a lifetime achievement award but anyone who watched that '16 line knows they were not elite.

He's a statue. He is also no threat to run at all. Therefore, DC's don't have to shadow him with any defenders which basically puts an extra defender on the field. I simply don't understand why the other QB's have not gotten a chance for a few series yet this season. They will both be transfers in the Spring and we will have not gotten a chance to see if their offseason work has made them better. It's seriously baffling to me. Makes no sense at all.

I've seen too many horrible misses to wide open guys thrown from a clean pocket over the past three seasons. It's not 100% on SP, but he's our biggest problem on the field and it's not close. It's partly because he's such a bad passer, can't think or react quickly in the pocket, and has zero mobility that opposing defenses are able to load up to stop the run. Our passing game presents zero downfield threat.

Reactions: Hammer93
A lot of people put down our WR. I think it is above average when healthy. Bruce seems good at what he does. Johnson is good. Ragani is above average I think - 2 years ago he seemed to drop many, but better since then. And Brecht has the ability but not the experience. He seemed better Saturday too.
As I am not a football guru or expert, maybe I am off here????

meanwhile... at abilene christian... no peyton mansell is not starting the last few games and he's a senior

I don't know if such a statistic exists, but I'd be interested to see the list of P5 QBs in the nation that have taken every snap 5/6 games into this season?

The offensive line sucks for sure. Petras might well be a pretty good QB behind a great offensive line. Problem is, we don't have one and won't this year. I'm sure there are a lot of guys that can be good QBs when given great protection.

You simply have to go to a more mobile QB given the limitations of this offensive line. Even with protection, Petras is so rattled that he can't hit open receivers at this point.

I was there Saturday and saw the two bad overthrows, but also I saw him get hammered numerous times as well as a running game that was non existent.
I was there too, and my eyes saw far more than two "bad throws," especially a couple misses on wide open receivers that would have resulted in long gains if not touchdowns in the first half alone. So there's that. And yes, the OL is not good. That's been well established, but a mobile QB would make this line look a heckuva lot better than the cement-footed Petras does. Poor Spencer may . . . and I say may . . . be more mobile than the Kinnick statue in front of the stadium, but that's about it. The poor kid lacks the prerequisite quick feet that ANY good athlete in ANY sport must have. It's one of the first things any talent evaluator considers . . . except the guys who choose QBs at Iowa . . . KF in particular.

The vast majority of D1 QBs have the ability to sidestep an oncoming lineman. Spencer Petras does not. It's that simple.

NO duh, Petras isn't entirely to blame. These are useless articles.

Petras is a well below average player at the most important position on the offense. You get more bang fo rthe buck changing QBs than you do changing Fullbacks.

KF/BF is just being stupid. Fan's would be happier with going with a new young QB (Labas or May) and going through growing pains if the young QB could make some plays. What KF Is saying is not only does Petras suck, the 3 other guys KF has recruited also suck, so get prepared for garbage football next year too.

Unfortunately, I think it is likely that Labas and May are both too immobile to make plays and Padillo is underwhelming in terms of quickness/running ability. I do suspect Padillo would give IOwa a better chance to win because he is somewhat mobile. This Iowa offense is junk and BF should be fired.

When you have a dumpster fire OL and a far below average QB this is what you get. So either it’s misfiring on recruiting or coaching that is the major issue.
Iowa used to pride themselves on finding”diamonds in the rough” and coaching them up. That’s not happening anymore. So as many others think there is a shelf life on ALL coaches and it is becoming more clear that the KF era has just run its course. It’s a tired, outdated scheme that has no spark and no indication that it will get better. The first move you make is to fire Barnett. He stinks as an OL coach.

A lot of people put down our WR. I think it is above average when healthy. Bruce seems good at what he does. Johnson is good. Ragani is above average I think - 2 years ago he seemed to drop many, but better since then. And Brecht has the ability but not the experience. He seemed better Saturday too.
As I am not a football guru or expert, maybe I am off here????
Too many times SP doesn’t see other receivers open. This year alone he’s thrown the short route while a receiver was open 5-10 yards further down the field. Purdue game last year was one of the most obvious instances where he was keying on one guy while other receivers had no defender even close. It’s not a lack of talent at the WR position.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

Don't drop back, stay in the gun - that give him at least another full second before he is blasted.

Reactions: BDJHawk and IAGuy
ADVERTISEMENT