ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting short read - hard to disagree

In all fairness to Petras, he is getting zero help from his offensive line, he is getting almost zero help from a running game and is getting very little help from the receivers from both catching the ball and YAC. Do I think Petras is a great QB? No, I don't, but, I think he is far from being the biggest problem on this offense.

I was there Saturday and saw the two bad overthrows, but also I saw him get hammered numerous times as well as a running game that was non existent. Probably one of the worst officiated games I ever saw as well (at least in football). Our defense had it taken to them in the first half. And there I sat as we lined up for a 4th down ready to get it to a 6 point game with about 5 minutes left. Told the person next to me this has ALL the makings of a short pass to a TE....a BF staple.

But...the weather and the tailgating was awesome!
Im just fine laying it all on Coach Ferentz; time for him to go.

Reactions: IAHUNTER

I was there Saturday and saw the two bad overthrows, but also I saw him get hammered numerous times as well as a running game that was non existent. Probably one of the worst officiated games I ever saw as well (at least in football). Our defense had it taken to them in the first half. And there I sat as we lined up for a 4th down ready to get it to a 6 point game with about 5 minutes left. Told the person next to me this has ALL the makings of a short pass to a TE....a BF staple.

But...the weather and the tailgating was awesome!
2...I was there and saw at least 4 in the first half. Yes all the blame can't be on Petras but he is a career 50% completion guy. A better QB can hide a lot of problems.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
Next time you watch the guy play - look at his arm motion. Look at his feet. He always takes extra time to set his feet to throw and he often takes an extra bunny step to load up. His arm motion takes a long time too. Combine that with a complete lack of athleticism - and an inability to make plays on the run - and you get this albatross of an offense and lots of extra pressure on a young OL to be perfect.

Next time you watch the guy play - look at his arm motion. Look at his feet. He always takes extra time to set his feet to throw and he often takes an extra bunny step to load up. His arm motion takes a long time too. Combine that with a complete lack of athleticism - and an inability to make plays on the run - and you get this albatross of an offense and lots of extra pressure on a young OL to be perfect.
So the offensive line sucks BECAUSE of Petras. You're kidding, right? Worse "analysis" yet! It just keeps getting better with you nutsack no-it-alls.

• Haha
Reactions: Ignored
In all fairness to Petras, he is getting zero help from his offensive line, he is getting almost zero help from a running game and is getting very little help from the receivers from both catching the ball and YAC. Do I think Petras is a great QB? No, I don't, but, I think he is far from being the biggest problem on this offense.
Gee, I wonder if a bad QB might have an impact on the running game.
He is getting zero help from his offensive line? Has Petras ever thought about stepping up in the pocket or moving from side to side.

The discussion at this point that Petras is "far" from being the biggest problem for the offense is startling.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
So the offensive line sucks BECAUSE of Petras. You're kidding, right? Worse "analysis" yet! It just keeps getting better with you nutsack no-it-alls.
Your posts in this thread are pretty good examples of terrible "analysis".
Petras is really good QB, everyone else's fault. You're kidding, right?

Reactions: not_mantiteo
He is getting zero help from his offensive line? Has Petras ever thought about stepping up in the pocket or moving from side to side.

The discussion at this point that Petras is "far" from being the biggest problem for the offense is startling.
Yea. I mean Joe Burrow was getting crushed last year. The Bengals had one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. And Burrow took them to the Super Bowl. His ability to be agile and avoid so many hits was great. And he still took a ton of sacks.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Yea. I mean Joe Burrow was getting crushed last year. The Bengals had one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. And Burrow took them to the Super Bowl. His ability to be agile and avoid so many hits was great. And he still took a ton of sacks.

Of course, if that keeps up it doesn’t bode well for his long term prospects in the league.

Also, that inability to protect him did ultimately catch up to them in the super bowl as the Rams just beat him up. Average like and they probably win.

A little mobility would help the offense. SP has occasional accuracy issues. AP may not be any more accurate but he does have the ability to not fold like a chair when any defensive player gets close…Some one needs to explain to me why he can’t have a series or two and if he doesn’t get it done then go back to SP and put that to rest. Not that hard.
Occasional????

Of course, if that keeps up it doesn’t bode well for his long term prospects in the league.

Also, that inability to protect him did ultimately catch up to them in the super bowl as the Rams just beat him up. Average like and they probably win.
I agree. Spencer is doing his best.

Your right that's the coaches

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
His stats in that scenario would look good enough that we wouldn't be having this conversation...
Well he wouldn't start there.

His body mechanics are all wrong when his throws passes being long and short.

So it's a head issue which probably can not be fixed permanently.

Mich. Wouldn't have that for a starting qb.

A little mobility would help the offense. SP has occasional accuracy issues. AP may not be any more accurate but he does have the ability to not fold like a chair when any defensive player gets close…Some one needs to explain to me why he can’t have a series or two and if he doesn’t get it done then go back to SP and put that to rest. Not that hard.
He didn't "get it done" any better for three games last year

• Haha
Reactions: iahawks10

You seem like a guy who really knows his stuff. I bet you are really good on Madden right?

Unless you think Petras should turn around and block for the RB after he hands it off, then know that he has very little influence on the running game. Scheming for that with some sort of RPO action, just like motion, doesn't do anything to influence the defensive line, they are going to do their jobs no matter what, and that is to plug the holes, move the LOS and get after the QB. The QB hands the ball to the RB and all of the blockers job at that point is to make a hole for the RB to run through. Pretty simple concept.

As far as stepping up or stepping to the side. Have you ever taken the time to put a stopwatch on how long it takes from the snap of the ball to when Petras gets hit? I am going to assume no. I did once with ISU last year. Because even though we won everyone wanted to trash Petras after the game. What I found was that he had, on average, something like 2.1 seconds to throw the ball before he was hit. And he got hit from everywhere; right in his face, from the left, from the right. If you can think of all the ways an offensive linemen can get beat, they got beat that day and really have each game since. Know that even the quickest release in the NFL is around 2.5 seconds and the average is more like 2.8.

Look, I don't think Petras is the best quarterback in the world and I have said from the beginning that if you are a QB that can't move you better be accurate. It he has shown not to be at times. But he has also played pretty well at times and made some really good throws. Consider that all we know from what is on the roster is Padilla and he didn't show anything different really. Everyone talks about him being more mobile but he really didn't use it. And he made some mistakes too.

The biggest problem by far on this offense is the offensive line, by a long way. If you think that Petras is the biggest problem, you and everyone else that thinks that does not know even the most basic elements of football.

I think you missed the point

It’s not all on Petras, but he is the worst quarterback in P5 and the third worst in D1. That’s without question.
How is that 'without question'? What metric are you using? Not trying to be a jerk, just wonder where your data is coming from.

2...I was there and saw at least 4 in the first half. Yes all the blame can't be on Petras but he is a career 50% completion guy. A better QB can hide a lot of problems.
There were only 4 total incompletions in the first half and 2 of them were essentially throwaways due to coverage. There was 1) miss on the seam route to Lachey and 2) miss on a hitch route to Brecht that was a 'gimme.' On the Lachey throw, I think (from memory here) the window was partially closed in that he was having to throw over a LB a little bit, but he had space on the back end and just airmailed it.

I didn't have a chance to rewatch and post thoughts about Petras' play in the 2nd half (Attempt at 1st half here), but I do know that on the drive when we ultimately scored, there was a 1st and 10 play (in the red zone maybe?) where there was a bad miss to Ragaini on the double post or post/dig combo that should have been 6...ultimately it cost us a couple minutes of game action and a few more offensive plays. Michigan's underneath defender missed his attempt to wall off LaPorta so the safety had to drive on the dig route sooner than Michigan would have wanted and Ragaini had inside position on the outside leveraged corner.

I think you missed the point

His point being a more mobile QB can make a difference and really had nothing to do with injury risk.

Reactions: iahawks10
He didn't "get it done" any better for three games last year

How didn’t he “get it done” any better last year? Was he supposed to go 4-0 in the three games he played?

You’ve got a guy who’s played his entire career as a #2 QB or lower in practice reps. Who has played virtually only 3.5 games worth of experience vs just B1G competition compared to a guy who’s been in the program five years. Who’s had #1 practice reps for three years and the luxury of playing: CSU, Nevada, SDSU, and Kent St along with 19 other games started.

All of that experience for Petras and we have no idea if he is actually better than Padilla and his 3.5 games as a back up QB vs B1G competition. Unreal

You seem like a guy who really knows his stuff. I bet you are really good on Madden right?

Unless you think Petras should turn around and block for the RB after he hands it off, then know that he has very little influence on the running game. Scheming for that with some sort of RPO action, just like motion, doesn't do anything to influence the defensive line, they are going to do their jobs no matter what, and that is to plug the holes, move the LOS and get after the QB. The QB hands the ball to the RB and all of the blockers job at that point is to make a hole for the RB to run through. Pretty simple concept.

As far as stepping up or stepping to the side. Have you ever taken the time to put a stopwatch on how long it takes from the snap of the ball to when Petras gets hit? I am going to assume no. I did once with ISU last year. Because even though we won everyone wanted to trash Petras after the game. What I found was that he had, on average, something like 2.1 seconds to throw the ball before he was hit. And he got hit from everywhere; right in his face, from the left, from the right. If you can think of all the ways an offensive linemen can get beat, they got beat that day and really have each game since. Know that even the quickest release in the NFL is around 2.5 seconds and the average is more like 2.8.

Look, I don't think Petras is the best quarterback in the world and I have said from the beginning that if you are a QB that can't move you better be accurate. It he has shown not to be at times. But he has also played pretty well at times and made some really good throws. Consider that all we know from what is on the roster is Padilla and he didn't show anything different really. Everyone talks about him being more mobile but he really didn't use it. And he made some mistakes too.

The biggest problem by far on this offense is the offensive line, by a long way. If you think that Petras is the biggest problem, you and everyone else that thinks that does not know even the most basic elements of football.
No body else deserves a shot then, regardless of the oline? Bottom line is it just isn’t getting done. Different qb, different dynamic. I can’t see how it could get much worse if AP or JL got several series to see if they can’t spark something.

rewatch last year’s Minnesota game if you don’t think Padilla used his mobility. Padilla didn’t use it to run, he used his mobility to escape the pocket, keep the play alive, and make a decent pass. If nothing else, he avoided a sack and kept the offense from being farther behind the chains. Something you’ll rarely see Petras do, if ever.

Points out the biggest problem is the OLine. Advocates for keeping a statue behind center. Can’t make this up.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT