ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting stats through two games

hawk263344

All-Conference
Sep 8, 2012
When it comes to total offense yards per game we are dead last in the entire country. It isn't even close! We are averaging 158. Lowly New Mexico St is next above us at 230. We are dead last by 72 yds a game! That is just unreal. We have some guys on offense that recruiting wise were ranked pretty good. I'm sure we have a lot more recruiting stars on offense than New Mexico St and plenty of other teams that we are behind. To further prove the point of talent isn't much of the problem. Charlie Jones is ranked 4th in the entire country for receiving yards on the season. He has 286 yards just receiving. That is almost as much as our entire team! He also has 4 TD which gives him twice as many points as our entire team! It can not be argued against that our entire offensive system is just broken. We need to start completely over on offense. Need a new OC, offensive assistants, and get away from that stupid zone blocking scheme desparately!

When it comes to total offense yards per game we are dead last in the entire country. It isn't even close! We are averaging 158. Lowly New Mexico St is next above us at 230. We are dead last by 72 yds a game! That is just unreal. We have some guys on offense that recruiting wise were ranked pretty good. I'm sure we have a lot more recruiting stars on offense than New Mexico St and plenty of other teams that we are behind. To further prove the point of talent isn't much of the problem. Charlie Jones is ranked 4th in the entire country for receiving yards on the season. He has 286 yards just receiving. That is almost as much as our entire team! He also has 4 TD which gives him twice as many points as our entire team! It can not be argued against that our entire offensive system is just broken. We need to start completely over on offense. Need a new OC, offensive assistants, and get away from that stupid zone blocking scheme desparately!

This is sad, especially given that our offense was ALSO horrible last season. It must be comical to any outside college football fan that BF was ‘rewarded’ and given the QB coach position as well. I really, really hope this did not translate to a bump in his salary. Unfortunately we probably have the defense to hang with any team out there, but our offense is clueless and BF needs to leave. Maybe he can rejoin the Pats as TE coach?🤔

This

hiring BF was the nail in Kirk coffin
There were people on this board who praised hiring BF. Listed all his wonderful accomplishments (He got coffee for Bill Belichick!), went on and on about how he could take over for Kirk in a few years (because…..last name Ferentz) blah blah blah.

Instead, Brian has run the offense into the ground, making it a laughingstock and the worst in the country. Where are all the bootlickers now?? Some of us TRIED to warn them from the get-go that hiring Brian was a monumental mistake, but they wouldn’t listen.

Obviously nothing will happen this year. But changes need to be made after the season, before the entire program goes down in flames.

1. Brian needs to go. Period. I would say demote him to OL coach as he was pretty good at it, but I don’t think busting a coordinator down to position coach and keeping them on staff is necessarily a good idea.

2. Kirk should take over coaching the offensive line.

3. Hire an energetic EXPERIENCED OC who is also able to bring in the talent to run his system. And Kirk should let him run that system and keep his nose out. There are playmakers out there. It seems like every other school has a qb that can move and make plays, while Iowa recruits statues. We have had mobile QB’s before, but Kirk has become too risk-averse.

There were people on this board who praised hiring BF. Listed all his wonderful accomplishments (He got coffee for Bill Belichick!), went on and on about how he could take over for Kirk in a few years (because…..last name Ferentz) blah blah blah.

Instead, Brian has run the offense into the ground, making it a laughingstock and the worst in the country. Where are all the bootlickers now?? Some of us TRIED to warn them from the get-go that hiring Brian was a monumental mistake, but they wouldn’t listen.

Obviously nothing will happen this year. But changes need to be made after the season, before the entire program goes down in flames.

1. Brian needs to go. Period. I would say demote him to OL coach as he was pretty good at it, but I don’t think busting a coordinator down to position coach and keeping them on staff is necessarily a good idea.

3. Hire an energetic EXPERIENCED OC who is also able to bring in the talent to run his system. And Kirk should let him run that system and keep his nose out. There are playmakers out there. It seems like every other school has a qb that can move and make plays, while Iowa recruits statues. We have had mobile QB’s before, but Kirk has become too risk-averse.
Good ideas, but KF will never turn over the reigns on offense to anyone. How many times has this been proven?

Reactions: RocknRollface
Good ideas, but KF will never turn over the reigns on offense to anyone. How many times has this been proven?
Oh, I realize that. Kirk and Brian will run the program so far into the ground it will take years to recover…..especially if Barta makes the next hire.

Agree, but do not hold your breath as nothing will change as long as Ferentz is head coach. And he is not going anywhere soon.

The Charlie Jones thing is damning.

Its never been about lack of talent you can get at Iowa.

Its all about scheme.

Kirk isn't going to change his beliefs on offense.

Theres only one way we step into the modern offensive era.

Reactions: unclesammy
Lavar Woods should have been appointed OC when it came open. Appointing his son will be the demise of KF.
How many plays has Lavar Woods called in his career? Did he play offense? What exactly does he know about offense that would qualify him to install an innovative offense? Zip. Iowa needs an actual OC, not someone promoted from within.

How many plays has Lavar Woods called in his career? Did he play offense? What exactly does he know about offense that would qualify him to install an innovative offense? Zip. Iowa needs an actual OC, not someone promoted from within.
I agree and I believe Coach Woods will select the right OC when he’s the head man.

I too said it was a mistake all along, and agree with your post except I think it's time Kirk goes as well.

Everyone says that... But really has it been proven? There have only been 3 coordinators at Iowa under Ferentz. Okeefe really wasn't bad. Wasn't high flying but there were some good offensive units in his time. Then came a guy from out of retirement because no one wanted him and Ferentz needed a placeholder until he gave it to his kid. And he clearly sucks at the job. It's still on Ferentz for giving the job to Davis and his kid, but I think I don't think there's any conspiracy, I think the last 2 simply suck at the job.

Not gonna happen.

We need an energetic OC that can also recruit players for his system. Kirk needs to let the man run his system and keep his nose out.

Like I said…..not gonna happen.
He is honestly reminding me of a less stubborn Mike Zimmer in his final season with the Vikings.

He really does need to A. get rid of Brian, B. bring in a new OC that still understands there's certain philosophies that he wants from the offense (as every coach in the country does), but then after that C. just gtfo of the way and let him do his job.

ADVERTISEMENT