ADVERTISEMENT

InterMat: Oklahoma State AD thinking big on new wrestling facility

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004
http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/22239?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

"I want to build something that's a clear span, a room with 8 or 10 mats, and you could train not only our team, but a club team, or Olympic team, or World team, and try to draw athletes from all over the world to come to Stillwater to train for wrestling competitions," Holder told Pistols Firing's Duckworth. "Whether it be collegiate or international. Maybe you'll add women's wrestling someday? That's growing."

"I want to build for the next 100 years, not the next 20-30," said Holder.

What's the possible cost of this kind of structure? Holder provided an estimate of about $40 million for the new wrestling facility.

I am now up on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/IowaWrestlingFan/
and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/iawrestlingfan

Joke or not it's from someone who isn't an Iowa fan and takes an adversarial role against Iowa In every conversation. It's an Iowa board. You can support him if you choose. He fits right in with all the PSU morons we have to put up with.
False

Great, but you still have to have butts in those seats. What was their largest draw? Average Attendence?
All for money into wrestling programs even if their our greatest Rival

Reactions: CowboyUp61
Joke or not it's from someone who isn't an Iowa fan and takes an adversarial role against Iowa In every conversation. It's an Iowa board. You can support him if you choose. He fits right in with all the PSU morons we have to put up with.
Frick you if you can't take a joke.

I am sure the associate/assistant OSU AD, Chris Bahl, has been in his ear on this project. I’ve met Chris a few times through the years and fished with him when he was still in Minnesota and is a super guy, former collegiate wrestler and huge proponent of the sport. His boy who I haven’t seen in about 10 years is on the team as well. Big wrestling family so my guess is this is kind of his baby.

I am sure the associate/assistant OSU AD, Chris Bahl, has been in his ear on this project. I’ve met Chris a few times through the years and fished with him when he was still in Minnesota and is a super guy, former collegiate wrestler and huge proponent of the sport. His boy who I haven’t seen in about 10 years is on the team as well. Big wrestling family so my guess is this is kind of his baby.
Chris is no longer with the athletic department. But you are right, super guy.

Reactions: MSeil and rassling
Cowboy - I did not know that. Been awhile since I crossed paths with him. Thanks for the update. He is the type of guy that is great for wrestling.

Reactions: rassling
Thanks Cowboy. Good for wrestling. He could sell ice to an Eskimo. And I mean that in a good way. Very engaging personality, honest and frickin hilarious. Good to know about golf Cowboy so when I see him again I will ask for strokes!

Reactions: 24 so far
T Boone needs to be involved. He's been the sugar daddy with many other sports at OSU.

Side note: T Boone Pickens’ signature is on my college diploma, as he had donated so much money they named the business school after him.

Reactions: GG121AND2
Unless you’re in your fifties or sixties I think you’re out of luck. Granddaughter, perhaps?
Mid 60s! I'll always remember him as the guy who "welched" on the promise to donate $1 M after the "swift boat" story in 2007/2008. Just another corporate raider who got rich at other's expense.

Mid 60s! I'll always remember him as the guy who "welched" on the promise to donate $1 M after the "swift boat" story in 2007/2008. Just another corporate raider who got rich at other's expense.
Everyone gets rich at "other's expense". If not, then the other guy would be rich. However, sometimes at other's expense just means he is smarter or luckier or harder working. It is like saying a guy won a national championship at "other's expense". Of course he did. The only thing you get at no one's expense is participation trophies.

Everyone gets rich at "other's expense". If not, then the other guy would be rich. However, sometimes at other's expense just means he is smarter or luckier or harder working. It is like saying a guy won a national championship at "other's expense". Of course he did. The only thing you get at no one's expense is participation trophies.

No they dont. Most successful business is a win-win. Steve jobs got rich because he provided something of value that people were willing to pay for. Your smart phone is not required.
If you provide minimal effort and minimal value why should you get more than minimum wage?

In this case, a "corporate raider" would be a description". You buy stock in a company, start a rumor that a takeover in imminent, stock price soars, you sell the stock, and move on.

Legal? Yep. Ethical? Not too sure. Hundreds of thousands of people have lost their jobs over the decades from shady practices of others.

BTW: I apologize for steering this thread off topic!

Reactions: armbartilt
No they dont. Most successful business is a win-win. Steve jobs got rich because he provided something of value that people were willing to pay for. Your smart phone is not required.
If you provide minimal effort and minimal value why should you get more than minimum wage?
I agree with what you are saying and I do not think business is a zero sum game. I was thinking more along the lines of "If I run a company and I get the contract because we are better than the other companies", then I "got rich" at their expense. Probably not the most clear example. I should have asked what a corporate raider is before I replied. Once again, I spoke before taking a moment and understanding what I was responding to. For the record, I am a big fan of capitalism and I was trying to defend it against what I thought was a slam to it.

Reactions: armbartilt
This

Capitalism is not a "zero sum" game.
Too bad our society has been all too accepting of the growth of Crony Capitalism. Maybe not zero sum game, but certainly many instances of “heads I win, tails you lose” (See, e.g. Goldman Sachs). Then there’s the rot of “too big to fail” that’s infected our body politic.

I like Steve Jobs - at least he made things. We need to go back to making more things and not just moving money around and having guys with better algorithms taking a piece.

Last edited:
The jealousy is sick right now on T Boone. You’d be dumb to not be like T Boone and liar if you say you wouldn’t. Where is Iowa’s T Boone? I know we have bnicolls and he has been generous beyond belief along with many others, but we need a billionaire now to step up because we need slides to go down levels and a tv and Xbox at every locker for the Hawkeyes or maybe we just make a great complex with the best coaches, male and female and create ncaa and Olympic champions and become a freestyle Mecca for men and woman to go along with our folkstyle prowess. Is that lady sentence too long?

Reactions: wasdt21
Too bad our society has been all too accepting of the growth of Crony Capitalism. Maybe not zero sum game, but certainly many instances of “heads I win, tails you lose” (See, e.g. Goldman Sachs). Then there’s the rot of “too big to fail” that’s infected our body politic.

I like Steve Jobs - at least he made things. We need to go back to making more things and not just moving money around and having guys with better algorithms taking a piece.

I think we agree on some things. I agree nothing is perfect. Crony Politics is a huge problem too.

Let's fly up to 10,000 feet and look down. This country's political, religious, and economic freedom has made it the envy of the World. It is not a perfect system, but a damn sight....make that huge sight better than anywhere else in the World.

Why are Hong Kongers going crazy right now?

Can you give me 2 names of anyone who wants to immigrate to: Russia, Venezuela, Cuba or the like?

There's a reason for phrases like, "The only thing Euro's hate worse than the US leading the World, is the US not leading the World"

We are not perfect, but we are the best by far.

ADVERTISEMENT