ADVERTISEMENT

Intermat Rankings

I like how Iowa is wrestling. We have some weights that aren't as talented as others, but we have some serious firepower. Add Downey ... and it only gets better. The young guys are really impressive and are going to be fun to watch ... Seeing Lee for the first time was pretty freaking cool ... I like where Iowa wrestling is headed.

No it's not. Weigel is a very good wrestler and could easily find himself in the finals come March.

Plus, Weigel is a VERY BAD matchup for Wilcke. He is too strong for Wilcke off the ties and is even stronger on top. Wilcke just isn't physical enough(admittedly he is just a beefed up 184) to move Weigel at all to even try to set up any offense.

Marinelli and Lee should slightly outplace their rankings (I'm not ready to put Lee as a lock for top 3 with a recent Bresser loss still there. Could easily happen, though). Rest look pretty on point for where guys will likely settle. PD3 will likely be wrestling for 3rd at 184 - still not enough points to break into the top 2.

A lot can happen in March, but I think it's funny that this down year for the Hawks may be there highest placement in the last few years.
It's mostly considered "down" because we have too many holes and not a shot in hell to win it. That is a down year in my opinion. We should always be in the running to contend under the best of circumstances in March, and it certainly appears that most see nothing remotely close to that being a possibility this particular year.

I'm typically a "they play the game for a reason" type of a guy, anything can happen, yada, yada, yada, but I don't envision any scenario that puts us at the top of the podium from a Team perspective.

A lot can happen in March, but I think it's funny that this down year for the Hawks may be there highest placement in the last few years.
Well, to be fair, most of us didn't anticipate that this "down year" would feature Spencer Lee or Pat Downey in the lineup. With those two, we're as good as last year's team, if not better. In other words, with Lee and Downey, it's really not a "down year" at all, and it's actually a lineup that could win Nationals many years. They just happen to be going against completely stacked PSU and tOSU lineups. This team still has an outside shot at a team title, IMO. Would take a great performance by us and some upsets for PSU and tOSU. So Lee and Downey really put to bed all of the "down year" talk, IMO.

Hey I'm just saying at the beginning of the year everyone had us at 8th place. Then Bull starts beating good guys like we all knew he would. Cash and Stoll continue to get better. No one knew when Stoll would be in the line-up or what to expect from him after 2 ACL surgeries. We all knew what we would get from BS & Kem. Now we add Spencer and he has flown up the rankings. Hopefully PD3 comes in at 184. It's encouraging seeing things trending in the right way. I get the feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Hey I'm just saying at the beginning of the year everyone had us at 8th place. Then Bull starts beating good guys like we all knew he would. Cash and Stoll continue to get better. No one knew when Stoll would be in the line-up or what to expect from him after 2 ACL surgeries. We all knew what we would get from BS & Kem. Now we add Spencer and he has flown up the rankings. Hopefully PD3 comes in at 184. It's encouraging seeing things trending in the right way. I get the feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Totally agree! It’s all very positive!

Reactions: Dagboi

Speaking of Stoll.............

How's the Knee...........

I thought Weigal looked a lot bigger than Wilke as well. Just looking at their backs and to me it looked like one guy that is cutting down to 197 and the other that is beefing up to wrestle 197.

I hope Wilke can get down to 184 next year, as I think at that weight he would not be undersized and could make some noise. Hopefully Warner is a full sized 197 next year as well.

Well said.

Changing the attitude from, trying to win vs trying to dominate is the last piece of the puzzle and now I think Kem has support in that effort with SL.

Reactions: CumberlandHawk
I thought Weigal looked a lot bigger than Wilke as well. Just looking at their backs and to me it looked like one guy that is cutting down to 197 and the other that is beefing up to wrestle 197.

I hope Wilke can get down to 184 next year, as I think at that weight he would not be undersized and could make some noise. Hopefully Warner is a full sized 197 next year as well.
I thought Wilke looked every bit the part of 197 and that Warner looks more like an 184 pounder. I'm guessing this is how it will play out for next year.

Reactions: Dagboi
I wouldn't base a year as down or up solely off of placement. It should be based on point scoring. I believe Tarp has emphasized this in the past. You really can't control(other than the few times you get head to heads) other teams' point totals. All you can do is score as much as possible and hope it outscores everyone else. I believe this year's team has a chance to score as many points as they have scored since they won their last championship.

So, it really isn't so much about being down as it is PSU and tOSU are WAY up there.

Here are Iowa's point totals since 2010:

2017:97-4th, 146.5 won it.
2016:81-5th, 123 won it.
2015:84-2nd 102 won it.
2014:78.5-4th 109.5 won it.
2013:73-4th 123.5 won it.
2012:107.5-3rd 143 won it.
2011:86.5-3rd 107.5 won it.

I could see this year's team easily getting to 100. The problem is 140+ is more likely what it will take to win it.

Reactions: andegre
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT